Still plenty to be happy about in 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Still plenty to be happy about in 2020

OKAY! that result and performance against Geelong was a bummer, no argument from the old jiggster on that score. However, looking at the season so far AS A WHOLE, the improvements from the team (particularly in kicking accuracy) have been a stratosphere away from what we endured last year. The difference? In my humble opinion: LEADERSHIP on and off the field, and, apart from a couple of instances, an ability from the coaching staff to respond to changing dynamics during a game. We have much to feel optimistic about with this squad and it's coaching panel.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Still plenty to be happy about in 2020

thejiggingsaint wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 2:07pm OKAY! that result and performance against Geelong was a bummer, no argument from the old jiggster on that score. However, looking at the season so far AS A WHOLE, the improvements from the team (particularly in kicking accuracy) have been a stratosphere away from what we endured last year. The difference? In my humble opinion: LEADERSHIP on and off the field, and, apart from a couple of instances, an ability from the coaching staff to respond to changing dynamics during a game. We have much to feel optimistic about with this squad and it's coaching panel.
Absolutely true. Not only have we completely changed the make up of our list but we've also completely changed the vibe of the whole club. It's so much more positive since Ratt's appointment and the new game style that is exciting to watch and suits the players' strengths; not their weaknesses. The fact we've achieved record membership and retention in a year when no one has been to a game speaks volumes.

I think the leadership on field at times has been poor but it's improving. Importantly - when we were challenged multiple times by Gold Coast - it was the new breed of players that stood up (mainly because neither Geary nor Ross were there). A great sign in and of itself.

Add a fair bit more midfield depth and we're on our way - we have a good spine; solid talls and a couple of young jets on the rise.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely.

Made plenty of positive steps forward this year, I think things like the Geelong game and Free/North debacles are just due to experience, and we'll get better in those situations.

Looks like we should be playing finals which will be great for the development of our team, no matter how we go in them. This year was never going to be 'the year' (even before COVID) but we're definitely heading in the right direction!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stkfc1
Club Player

Totally agree Jiggy. Just the growth we're seeing from players like Clark, Paton, Coffield, Battle and co are reward enough this season. Add King and Bytel and we can see a very good core group of young players who are going to be playing together, for the next 10 years. Lots of good times ahead.

I believe this season has been a bit of a false dawn. We're still a seaon or two away to be a real threat, but the fact we're probably going to to play finals is amazing and a testament of the belief Ratts and co have been able to instill in this young group, to turn us around so quickly. No one had us in the 8 this year, so we've stuck it up a few and given the competition a warning that we're coming.

I'm enjoying the ride. Go Saints!!
Last edited by stkfc1 on Fri 14 Aug 2020 6:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintkev
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 2:36pm Absolutely.

Made plenty of positive steps forward this year, I think things like the Geelong game and Free/North debacles are just due to experience, and we'll get better in those situations.

Looks like we should be playing finals which will be great for the development of our team, no matter how we go in them. This year was never going to be 'the year' (even before COVID) but we're definitely heading in the right direction!
You forgot to add in the touch up Collingwood gave us.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think there is a lot to look forward to beyond 2020

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely. I’ve looked forward to every game this year. They haven’t all gone to plan but we are making steady progress. This group will only improve as they get used to playing together and the youngsters get more games under their belt.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I still reckon we can win this season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep. In the loss against the pussies we had 11 players who had played less than 50 games.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I remember Collingwood were riding high and they came up against Geelong at the MCG mid-season. They got absolutely smashed. Not much was said about it, they recovered and won the flag.

Now this could be the other way around, it may have been Geelong that we’re riding high and got smashed by Collingwood...whatever..the point being obvious.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
To the top
SS Life Member

What 2020 has delivered is a class defence for a number of years

Carlisle is the only mature age member of our back 6 and we have the contingency of Austin and Claravino developing

Roberton being included as an Emergency is a positive for the next couple of years

Howard, Clark, Coffield and Long are “locks”

Paton is developing and Wilkie is solid

So the “old guard” of Brown, Geary, Webster, McKenzie et al have been surpassed by a young group of very good footballers

We have Hill and Billings as our first choice wingers - both pretty handy

Our key forwards are Marshall and King with Membrey in support then our “smalls” where Butler leads but where we need more class

Ryder is the age he is - so we need to attract a resource in due course

So far, so good except Ryder’s age and one of Austin or Claravino succeeding Carlisle in due time (but not urgent at this stage)

Then we get to our mids

Steele is transitioning to a genuine mid

Hannebery we badly need on the park - so similar to Carlisle

Gresham I would prefer mostly forward because to me his danger is around goal

Jones is honest, intent and useful

Then we get to the gap - and the hope both Bytel and Byrnes deliver competition leading class

On the basis of the foregoing we attempt to sell a career at St Kilda to a competition leading class mid such as a Kelly

So 2020 has given us the template for a positive future which is a decidedly better position than we have been in over the past 10 or so years

We are getting there

And we have the Coach with his team in support
Last edited by To the top on Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

And I left out Battle

Can we turn him into a centre square mid?

In this highly unusual season where we trust in science there is no repeat, my view is you will see results courtesy of key players not being 100% due to the schedule

You need your best players “up” even off 4 day breaks and if they are at 90% there is the result

The games we have lost have been off short turnarounds with a young side and against experienced sides with mature bodies

They have been on the day results

And we will only get better - much better as we mature

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Plenty to be happy about.

DEFENCE: Work well together, can spoil and we've placed a premium on disposal out of the D50.

MIDS: Steele is not only freed up but still does the defensive work. Jones is a perfect fit, hard & fast. Gresham has surprised me, if he can spend 50/50 in Mid/Fwd we are doing OK. Ross rated between 4 & 6 is a huge win. PLUS no better class on the outside than Hill & Billings.

FORWARD: No house is truly complete without a Butler. King & Membrey are Top 22 in any club. Battle simply works...& works! Places are available but there are options not givens so who wants them?

Marshall, Ryder, Abbott v Hickey, Longer, Pierce...next!

Depth means "Don't say, do!!!" Hello, Lonie, Austin, Roberton, Geary, McKenzie.

Young'uns: Bytel, Byrnes, Clavarino...watch out "Depth", "Mids", "Defence".

2020 is the concrete, how high we build in 2020, 21, 22, 23 is up to the above, I'm excited by the List, the Recruiters & the Coach.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Geelong slaughtering Port....worse than they did us.

Nee!
George27
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:01pm Geelong slaughtering Port....worse than they did us.
Yep they smashed Port by 60 and only beat us by .... 59 ! It does put a slightly more positive perspective on last Monday.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:12pm
fugazi wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:01pm Geelong slaughtering Port....worse than they did us.
Yep they smashed Port by 60 and only beat us by .... 59 ! It does put a slightly more positive perspective on last Monday.
:wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Rats will have his work cut out if and when we come up against them again ............

Sanctorum
Club Player

I have always believed that 2020, irrespective of the pandemic, would be a prelude to a definite challenge for a 2nd premiership in 2021. The club has made it clear that the re-build under way is not yet complete, with at least one more elite midfield recruit the main target at the end of this season.

As others have pointed out, St Kilda has developed a strong list along all lines with real depth, a rare feat.

The improvement in players' skills, a priority foreshadowed by Brett Ratten when he was appointed senior coach, is manifest and apart from a couple of games (Collingwood and Geelong) where the team was clearly outclassed, the team has shown plenty to indicate that supporters are in for a very promising future!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:39am I have always believed that 2020, irrespective of the pandemic, would be a prelude to a definite challenge for a 2nd premiership in 2021. The club has made it clear that the re-build under way is not yet complete, with at least one more elite midfield recruit the main target at the end of this season.

As others have pointed out, St Kilda has developed a strong list along all lines with real depth, a rare feat.

The improvement in players' skills, a priority foreshadowed by Brett Ratten when he was appointed senior coach, is manifest and apart from a couple of games (Collingwood and Geelong) where the team was clearly outclassed, the team has shown plenty to indicate that supporters are in for a very promising future!
Agree, and let's hope 2021 isn't back to back Asterisk cups with no end in sight for an end to the pandemic.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Great to have you back Jiggster, and Sunday’s effort put a smile back on the dial!

Always loyal
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

FFS why does this all get back to the COVID?
we're living this s*** everyday in every way and he politicisers want to infiltrate every discussion with a finger point - for what farking end?
IMO all sides of politics are doing the best they can and are doing a remarkable job in offering leadership and response to this unprecedented threat we face
who would have thought that a Federal Liberal government would double the dole and introduce Job Seeker?
Not me and I'm not complaining or looking for any other issue to take this fact away, that I'm genuinely surprised despite my pre COVID political disposition

One thing that has given me some glimmer of release, some joy in watching a compromised football season has been, like others have said, looking forward to every game we play, how've come along and how well we're going - and we're always a chance - that's all we ever want
Watching the Saints this year has been a panacea to the stress and uncertainty that this whole COVID clusterfuck has brought to me, my business and my family (even though they go for Collingwood) - makes me a much happier camper, husband and father - just the opportunity to feel good about something for a while, to shut out all that reality s*** and have your heart and soul suspended and riding n the success of out guys

I dont think I've ever needed St Kilda more than I have this year and god I love how they're going about it
Last edited by HardSaint on Tue 18 Aug 2020 12:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HardSaint wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 12:24am FFS why does this all get back to the COVID?
we're living this s*** everyday in every way and he politicisers want to infiltrate every discussion with a finger point - for what farking end?
IMO all sides of politics are doing the best they can and are doing a remarkable job in offering leadership and response to this unprecedented threat we face
who would have thought that a Federal Liberal government would double the dole and introduce Job Seeker?
Fantastic result, even if they were asleep at the wheel with regard to the bushfires and that a Labor plan forsaw the need , but hey, hindsight - doesnt apply to this situation, its irrelevant now with what have amongst and ahead of us

One thing that has given me some glimmer of release, some joy in watching a compromised football season has been, like others have said, looking forward to every game we play, how've come along and how well we're going - and we're always a chance - that's all we ever want
Watching the Saints this year has been a panacea to the stress and uncertainty that this whole COVID clusterfuck has brought to me, my business and my family (even though they go for Collingwood) - makes me a much happier camper, husband and father - just the opportunity to feel good about something for a while, to shut out all that reality s*** and have your heart and soul suspended and riding n the success of out guys

I dont think I've ever needed St Kilda more than I have this year and god I love how they're going about it
Apart from the politicising bit in the middle not a bad post.

“Yeah….nah””
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

good point - depoliticised and clarified
Cheers for the tip

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 12:28am
HardSaint wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 12:24am FFS why does this all get back to the COVID?
Fantastic result, even if they were asleep at the wheel with regard to the bushfires and that a Labor plan forsaw the need , but hey, hindsight - doesnt apply to this situation, its irrelevant now with what have amongst and ahead of us

Apart from the politicising bit in the middle not a bad post.
Agree.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Now there, is this song I wrote
I hope you learned note for note
Like good little children, don't worry, be happy
Now listen to what I said, in your life expect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
But don't worry, be happy, be happy now
don't worry
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) be happy
(Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh) don't worry, be happy
Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh When the Saints Come Marching in, Oh when the Saints come marching in....