Paddy McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Re: Paddy McCartin

If we can get Paddy as a DFA/for nothing then we should just give him 1 year. See how he goes. You just never know. If he's not up to or can't keep fit then let him go and no harm done for all parties.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 3:44pm If we can get Paddy as a DFA/for nothing then we should just give him 1 year. See how he goes. You just never know. If he's not up to or can't keep fit then let him go and no harm done for all parties.
Not having a dig here JJ but I just hate this mentality of it won’t cost us anything so give it ago.
It may actually cost us a good kid to that spot on the list which is noteworthy considering how well we’ve done with later picks of late.

So here’s my question...
Do you actually think he will force his way into and stay in the top 22?

If the answer is uncertain or you hope so... surely it makes more sense to punt on someone without the poor form and injury clouds

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 5:17pm
johnearljames wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 3:44pm If we can get Paddy as a DFA/for nothing then we should just give him 1 year. See how he goes. You just never know. If he's not up to or can't keep fit then let him go and no harm done for all parties.
Not having a dig here JJ but I just hate this mentality of it won’t cost us anything so give it ago.
It may actually cost us a good kid to that spot on the list which is noteworthy considering how well we’ve done with later picks of late.

So here’s my question...

If the answer is uncertain or you hope so... surely it makes more sense to punt on someone without the poor form and injury clouds
You are correct skeptic, Roma & Wilkie were rookies, a spot to Paddy could cost us the next player of this calibre.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Paddy would be a ticking time bomb, I can’t believe this thread is still going?!

Let him go play in the VFL for a year, and if by some miracle he gets through unscathed and dominates, then maybe pick him up.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 5:25pm

So here’s my question...

You are correct skeptic, Roma & Wilkie were rookies, a spot to Paddy could cost us the next player of this calibre.
And the thing is... I don’t mind a speculative pick as we have to pick someone but with Paddy it’s all ifs.

If he can over come his concussion issues and if he can improve his fitness and if he can improve his marking and accuracy...
Then he had the opportunity to dislodge one of the three - four players cemented in the role he would play

So if... all that happens, well guess what. We actually haven’t gotten to the part of the equation of him having to compete with the best of the best defenders in the league.

A bit of promising form for a junior forward isn’t the most glowing endorsement
Gumbleton looked promising
Boucher from Port looked promising
Matty Ferguson and Justin Plapp had potential

There would be 50-100 forwards in the last 20 years that had the odd good game and looked promising but didn’t make it.

I’m struggling to see the quality that ppl see in Paddy that makes them want to offer him another chance.
It’s not marking
Goal kicking
Athleticism
Form
Durability

It’s not lack of contenders for the spot

I hate that I’m coming across as harsh or negative on the kid but unless he has an absolute solid-spectacular base of sustained form in a decent comp it seems crazy to me to select him untested.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I simply wish Paddy McCartin good health and good luck. The kid gave us all that he had, I hold no complaints/grudges against him for having such wretched luck with his health and well being.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Leo.J wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 5:37pm He’d have to play like Tim Membrey or Jack Reiwoldt to get a game. Not sure he’s up to being that mobile.

He’s 194cm, he’d have to weigh around 90-94kg to be able to play that role.

And most importantly he’ll have to find someone to insure him.

I reckon Richo ruined him with his crashing of packs (head first), and being ‘strong in the contest’. With some decent coaching he may be able to stay safe. Launching at the ball into the contest is different to what I reckon he was taught by Cho.

If he can get fit and insured, he’d have 5 years in him, I’d love to see Paddy back...unfortunately I’m not sure it’ll happen.
Ive blamed Richo for plenty but damn pathetic form to blame the concussions on him for ""coaching" a full forward to crash packs....exactly what the feck do ya reckon every forward in the comp needs to do to get a mark? Stand in the square eating sangers and wait for a gift like its 1980? The Plugger era died 20 yrs ago

johnearljames
Club Player

So here’s my question...

Still worth the punt IMO and he could be handy as depth as a key back and forward. The club will know more than us of course in how he's going but if we have reduced lists then I wouldn't recruit Patrick.

Maybe he might retire anyway but I would like a club to take him if he is still keen. The kid deserves it.

The club might give him a year at Sandy first to prove himself before re-drafting him.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lethers was on the wireless on Fridee and the way he was talking re Paddy we are unlikely to take him.

Sounds like commonsense will prevail and his AFL dream will be over for good.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 2:00pm think i saw only two or three times a hint of potential in paddy that had me excited. seen more in parker already, and don't think he will make a career out of it. paddy never did the hard yards to get properly match fit. yes it was a harder struggle for him, but it is what it is - to make it you need to overcome hurdles. he dominated under age due to his size, once that advantage was gone, he was left as an undersized slow key forward. all very sad for the lad but i think even without the concussion issues he would have struggled to make the grade. we'll never know. wish him all the luck in the world going forward.
Exactly right.

The sort of guy who would have been a superstar in district or country footy. Never looked like AFL grade. Always had you scratching your head as to what all the fuss was about.

The victim, ultimately, of very poor recruiting on our part.