The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

... An official history of the Saints perhaps put it best: "He played football with a cyclonic power that was allied to one-touch skills."

Yet while the game now celebrates the racial pride of Nicky Winmar, Muir a decade earlier endured nothing but hounding and harassment — a decade-long chronicle of racial abuse and mistreatment, including incidents in which he was spat at, urinated on, pelted with bottles and set upon by mobs of racist fans.

In both the VFL and SANFL, where Muir played for West Torrens and Woodville, football grounds became scenes of unchecked vilification. In private locker room moments, Muir sought the refuge of toilet cubicles to hide the torment and tears.

All people saw was retaliation ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/ ... r/12553554

Muir_32
Club Player

Re: The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

Thanks for the link.
I loved going to the footy with 32 on my jumper.
One of my favourite players to wear the Red White and Black.

footyhead
Club Player

Yes I read this very sad. Time for the Saints and AFL to reach out and Help repair this.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

An excellent long read. The usual racist suspects in our society, the HUN, the Collingwood FC, supporters of many clubs (including our own), Newman et al, should hang their heads in shame, but they won't because they are safe in the knowledge that they will never be the butt of racism only the source. It's the single greatest issue that bedevils human interaction, exploited by the egregious rich and ignored by the safe and secure.

In the last few days, we have seen scenes of unrestrained joy on the faces of indigenous children at the footy in Darwin. Elite sport should not be their only pathway to happiness.

The St Kilda Football Club should move to right a few wrongs.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Club should do something towards his medical bills for the shoulder.
I for one would be prepared to contribute if someone organised it.
Too many want to talk about racism and reconciliation but put things like this in the too hard basket!
Article also said he wanted one of his jumpers, surely there must be one out there we can source?

Vazelos
Club Player

That’s extremely distressing and painful to read that article.... in around 1980 I was in primary school I begged my Mother( a South Melbourne supporter) to take me to Moorabbin to see the Saints as we lived in the area. 4 things I remember that day as I went to my first game :
1. Mud 2. Gary Sidebottom and his huge chest 3.The smell of beer 4. The abuse directed at Robert Muir....
My Mother was so disgusted she told me never to ask her to take me to Moorabbin again the swearing and racial vilification was horrendous.
It stuck with me for years I had to wait until I was 16 in 1987 to start going regularly by myself.
A saddening indictment on our culture and history as a society the football ground became an arena for such vile behaviour.
I’m almost in tears reading that story...
I never knew what a terrible childhood he had...
With all that abuse and suffering he still loves the club.... extraordinary....
I hope he finds his peace....
Last edited by Vazelos on Sun 23 Aug 2020 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnearljames
Club Player

I hope the club gets Robbie back into the fold. It would be nice to see him at Marvel next year in the changerooms.

The AFL and supporters have come a very long way since those days at Moorabbin and Vic Park where that sort of racial abuse and behaviour is very rare these days. Pretty much non-existent at every game.

I did meet Robbie a few times at games. Seemed a pretty nice bloke but a little erratic. Glad he is doing well now.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Just so sad, I too found it increadibly hard to read and fought back tears while reading.

We have to learn from these stories, we have to get better.

We have to get rid of rasism.

If the club starts a fund I will donate.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

lWhat a brilliant no holds barred article

Insightful inspiring yet shameful all in one

One cannot even hegin to imagine his inner turmoil and the horrific abuse he received throughout his career and having to cope without receiving the necessary external off field support we see nowadays

I hope all members of our board read this and club reaches out to him again

Cheers for the link Peanut

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The story was so well written, I'm hoping it creates a wide discussion about Robby not wanting to be called that name again, amongst other important aspects around Robby's life, and I hope the AFL puts some thought into their use of his imagery.

Gershwin
Club Player

A very moving story. There is time left for the club and other people involved to ‘make things right‘. Perhaps we supporters can do something too.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vazelos
Club Player

It’s already started by a Saints Facebook fan:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saints-fans- ... are-flow-1

George27
Club Player

I am so saddened by this article. I never engaged in racial vilification, and I cannot understand the mentality of those who would ; but I never called out those who served it up to Robbie, and for that I am more than disappointed in myself.

As I watched the joyous celebrations this week, it crossed my mind that we had seen no vision of our number 32. I thought - well he was somewhat controversial , so ok.

This morning, after reading the article and the excellent comments on this forum, I realise that that is very wrong. If , as a football community, we are going to celebrate the role of indigenous players in the game, the story of Robbie Muir has to be told and confronted . Wrongs directed that this man cannot be righted, but they must be acknowledged with sincerity and accompanied by a heartfelt , official apology. At the very least, we owe him that .

Crossy66
Club Player

Maybe next years dreamtime round have a cavalcade of ex saint indigenous stars.
Hey its 5 hours still to game time, get him up there today. In the words of an immortal, "Do something, dont think, dont hope, Do!"

robbie muir
Club Player

On his day a brilliant footballer.

Had 2 very good seasons in 1975 and 1976 when he played 21 and 20 games respectively.

He and Syd Jackson were a couple of the early trailblazers for the indigenous population.

I remember a game at Victoria Park in 1980 when a certain Collingwood player spat at him and the VFL did absolutely nothing.

Disgusting behaviour, and the abuse he copped over the years would have destroyed others.

Still my favourite Saint of all time.

Love the guy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:22am ... An official history of the Saints perhaps put it best: "He played football with a cyclonic power that was allied to one-touch skills."

Yet while the game now celebrates the racial pride of Nicky Winmar, Muir a decade earlier endured nothing but hounding and harassment — a decade-long chronicle of racial abuse and mistreatment, including incidents in which he was spat at, urinated on, pelted with bottles and set upon by mobs of racist fans.

In both the VFL and SANFL, where Muir played for West Torrens and Woodville, football grounds became scenes of unchecked vilification. In private locker room moments, Muir sought the refuge of toilet cubicles to hide the torment and tears.

Thank you for sharing that an article. An emotive and educational read.

I watched him play and can attest that at his best he was a level above other players that took to the field in games with him. Comparisons with Winmar on football ability is a worthy one. When he was on he was unstoppable.

After ready that article though I am now quite ashamed that I too used that nick name.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 7:22am ... An official history of the Saints perhaps put it best: "He played football with a cyclonic power that was allied to one-touch skills."

Thanks for posting that TP. Brought tears to my eyes. I loved watching Robert Muir play and always knew he was subjected to vile abuse. One name is a constant when racist abuse from a player is mentioned whether it by Muir, Sid Jackson or others. Tony Shaw.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Oh my god that was hard to read.
If the club or the AFL have any balls and truly care about fighting racism, they cannot ignore the past or pick and choose what they want to use to help their narrative.
You cannot change the past and you cannot rewrite history but Robert Muir’s story needs to be heard and this needs to be driven by the AFL.
The club NEEDS to help.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
spert
Saintsational Legend

A sad outcome for Robbie Muir. I saw him play numerous times and he was a fantastic footballer with great skills, but sadly his temper got the better of him a few too many times, and probably on-field racist taunts were behind a lot of it. Some of the racist crap coming from over the fence was terrible back in those days, not just to Muir, but other indigenous players in the VFL/AFL or any other competition for that matter. I'm glad I saw him play some wonderful games for the Saints.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

the thing was everybody knew that what must have been said to him on an ongoing basis were some of the nastiest racism to have him go off like he did
the Ray Shaw spitting thing says it all
That vilifcation and abuse became all part of playing against him, with umpires never once getting involved or being asked to testify on his behalf and the old "what goes on on the field, stays on the field" indifference and acceptance by the then VFL is a shocking indictment

This article is well overdue, full Kudos to the writer putting in the background work, outlining and depicting the impact of the most shameful systematic racism on one man, a brilliant talent struck down and unable to turn the other cheek in the face in insult and abuse - and left out of any recognition, particularly in indigenous acknowledgement, because everyone's just that little bit guilty

StPeter
Club Player

Robbie Muir was a brilliant footballer who I loved watching.

This is a very sad story and I hope the club reaches out to him.

I can still remember my despair at a Saints v North Melbourne match hearing the vile racial abuse directed at the Krakouer brothers (who I really admired) coming from one particular Saints supporter. A short time later Jimmy was playing for the Saints. I also feel very angry when I think of the racial abuse I used to hear coming from our own supporters directed at Raph Clarke.

One can only hope that this dark and disgraceful period of the game's history is well behind us.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Don’t get it wrong, there are plenty in society (and some on here) who pine for these ‘non PC good old days’, and still have these racist thoughts but are just not able to express them in the same way. Look at what people like Eddie Betts and Adan Goodes have to put up with online.

Racism against other nationalities is still seen as ok by some, or it just moves to sexism, homophobia etc which many feel is still fair game.

Hopefully this article helps some more people empathise with any victim of harassment, and not just tell them to ‘harden up’ or ‘get over it’

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Find a 32 jumper from that era and get Kozi and McCartin to present it to him.
All 3 have known adversity of different types.
Make past players membership free,
Create some sort of system where some small percentage of intellectual property rights go towards past player welfare

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I had the displeasure of having a reserved seat next to a guy who was a Raph Clarke hater
Sadly, the attribution of his issue with Raph's game got down to him being indigenous and he didnt mind yelling out some of the most tasteless racism I'd heard since to Muir days
This, only 10 years ago, by a Saints supporter
Who had an issue with PC do gooders, and PC gone mad
Go figure

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't see any condemnation of the "star player" weeing on him in the showers!
This no doubt somebody we all idolise?
Not necessarily racist ,most likely typical of bastardization that was prevalent at the time.