Saints after Zach Williams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Saints after Zach Williams

Blues after him too but virtually confirmed by Gerard Healey on the Couch tonight. Heard as much also.

Looking forward to this trade period again. We are a destination club again. We will get players.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints after Zach Williams

Ya don’t say

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:06am Blues after him too but virtually confirmed by Gerard Healey on the Couch tonight. Heard as much also.

Looking forward to this trade period again. We are a destination club again. We will get players.
Are you saying Gerard confirmed we are after him or Blues?

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Said saints were into him big time.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Also note Polec is likely available.

Given our lack of midfield depth these two would be valuable pick ups for us.

Both will be expensive for their output but given what they would add to our team it could be well worth it.

Assuming we can manage to pay our existing players appropriately and keep them happy that is.

We add those players and you start to look comparable to Collingwood/Geelong midfields where any one of a number of players can bob up and turn a game.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:44am Said saints were into him big time.
Yep - Gerard did intimate that. Let's face it - two clubs have their hooks into GWS' players ... Carlton and St Kilda. Carlton's link was GWS' old List Manager (Silvagni) who's been given the chop in none to pleasant circumstances so, no real link there any longer from a recruiting and list management perspective. We have Gubby - who was basically like a Father figure to all of those young boys when they got reefed up into Kangaroo Point in Sydney.

I'd love it if Gubby was now to start seriously calling in his boys to come to the Moorabbin promised land. He's trusted and they're loyal to him. There'll be a ton of teams after Kelly yet, we were in that one up to our ears 3 years ago (Jack Steele's first year after him and Josh lived together). And that was without Gubby. Personally - I think the price will be very, very steep to get Kelly.

Williams on the other hand is a RFA. Land him for salary cost-alone and use our first pick on out of contract Jye Caldwell and we're good to go - balance and weapons all over the field at that point.

It's time to get to work Mr Allan ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It will be more than the Blues and Saints that will be chasing Williams.

This is one reason why we must finish the season well.

Blues will be keen on Williams as they lack pace.

Hawks will want him as this list is in poor shape. Fortunately the Hawks will not be as attractive a destination as they once were.

Swans will be keen, and Williams likes living in Sydney.

Cats have demonstrated that status quo is not for them and in recent seasons they have been a huge acquirer of players from other clubs.

The list goes on.

In our favour is that our 5 recruits have integrated well and only Hill has had a sub-par year. Butler, Jones and Paddy have all had seasons beyond expectations. Howard had settled in well. Only Hill has been quiet.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 01 Sep 2020 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
johnearljames
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:42am
johnearljames wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:06am Blues after him too but virtually confirmed by Gerard Healey on the Couch tonight. Heard as much also.

Both.

Blues and Saints balls deep in.

More names will start popping up soon that we are linked to. Probably a couple of surprises too.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The only issue I have with chasing all this top end talent is how does it effects the players already on the list. I was hoping a few of our home grown boys would take the next step with the talent top-up we got over summer but with the exception of Steele, most have either stagnated or gone backwards.

I remember RL telling the boys they were kidding themselves if they thought bringing in Ben Cousins would lead to an automatic flag.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So a bidding war, Saints, Blues and GWS with GWS putting in the small blind. Williams manager will be happy. Care needs to be taken with two Zacs in the midfield though. One might need to be called six-pence.

johnearljames
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:39pm The only issue I have with chasing all this top end talent is how does it effects the players already on the list. I was hoping a few of our home grown boys would take the next step with the talent top-up we got over summer but with the exception of Steele, most have either stagnated or gone backwards.

I remember RL telling the boys they were kidding themselves if they thought bringing in Ben Cousins would lead to an automatic flag.
Recruiting A and B grade talent in their mid 20's like we did last year doesn't compare to recruiting washed up drug addicts like Cousin who was well past his prime.

We have 3 kids from the 2017 draft now a permanent fixture in our back 6 and start every week. Clark. Paton. Coffield. The recruitment of last years players hasn't effected them. You can even add Wilkie (2nd year player) to that permanent back 6. All have played under 50 games. It would a huge bonus if Claravino from the 2017 draft also steps up and becomes our 2nd big back alongside Howard.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:39pm The only issue I have with chasing all this top end talent is how does it effects the players already on the list. I was hoping a few of our home grown boys would take the next step with the talent top-up we got over summer but with the exception of Steele, most have either stagnated or gone backwards.

How very kind of you to put up a post without bagging Billings!
Must have hurt! :oops:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 2:14pm

Billings is overpaid.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 2:15pm

Billings is overpaid.
I would argue that compared to Hill and DH he is dramatically underpaid!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish. Coffield, Paton, Marshall, Battle and Clark have not stagnated. You forget how young they are, how f***ed up this season has been and how few games they have played.

We are still in the eight thanks to these guys and our new recruits.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

This trade period is the time to go for it for us.

We should load up on the FA and get him to Moorabin ....and retain FRD pick...happy to trade that for Caldwell.

With improvements in our 20-22 year olds, we will be right in the hunt from next year.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 2:16pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 2:15pm

Billings is overpaid.
I would argue that compared to Hill and DH he is dramatically underpaid!
Well I wouldn't go that far.

Nee!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"60% of the time it works every time." Thanks Anchorman

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 3:16pm

Rubbish. Coffield, Paton, Marshall, Battle and Clark gave not stagnated. You forget how young they, how f***ed up this season has been and how few games they have played.

We are still in the eight thanks to these guys and our new recruits.
Fair call.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I'm not entirely sure that's true but anyway - surely stagnation doesn't matter though this year as it's a well known fact - promulgated by all informed numpties - that this year is just the asterix cup.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:04pm

I'm not entirely sure that's true but anyway - surely stagnation doesn't matter though this year as it's a well known fact - promulgated by all informed numpties - that this year is just the asterix cup.
It arouses me the way you eloquently promulgate big words.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:36pm
fugazi wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:42am

Both.

Blues and Saints balls deep in.

More names will start popping up soon that we are linked to. Probably a couple of surprises too.
Sounds very "hedging your bets to make it look like you are an ITK" Ted like :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:25pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:04pm

It arouses me the way you eloquently promulgate big words.
“Promulgate” is a big word? Really? Defined how? Number of letters; number of syllables?

I thought it was just a word like any and all other words in the English language.

However, if you can define for me what would constitute a small word then I’d be happy to use some of those for you because the thought of you being aroused does little for my appetite for dinner.

portosaint
Club Player

Stagnated or gone backwards.

Must be that lack of a feeder competition hey.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 8:21pm

Stagnated or gone backwards.

Must be that lack of a feeder competition hey.
Possibly. Whatever the reason we are still skinny in the midfield and if we don't recruit well at the end of this season then we could still be a 5th to 8th type of side beyond 2021.