So the club just put this online..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

So the club just put this online..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEbEeU72jr8

I dont think that message could be any clearer.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: So the club just put this online..

If they want it bad enough maybe. Could of sealed it last week but could't . So who knows will need to be 4 quarter effort but it's in our hands

howlinwolf
Club Player

Thanks Bigred.

I'm very confident we'll win this. Giants looked gassed to me with the likelihood of some leaving at year's end.

Great speech by Ratts.
Puts the ball in the player's court. How many have played in a final ?
Not many.
Do they want it ?
Let's see.

I reckon so :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Bloody reassuring. Go Sainters, you bloody beauty! Whatever happens we will give it our best shot.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I like the let’s look forward on 1 condition.....in the “let’s enjoy it’s exciting “ let’s also not be afraid coaching panel down to call out what those lessons to be learnt are and address them don’t hide behind gee it’s exciting “cause who would’ve that we’d have gotten this close to Finals??” You have an opportunity to cap off all your hard work by making the final 8 take it.

It’s tough in a Covid year to even train let alone learn new game tactics mid year that you can’t train for BUT these are AFL footballers who I hope have enough brains to get the message DONT BOMB INTO FORWARD 50 for the seventh game in a row ...look for an option and if one presents ....honour it!

Good marketing but proofs in the pudding for mine so we’ll see Fri

I’m not being picky but last week was do it for Danny.....that didn’t work.....actions speak much louder

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sounds great, but this should have been the message a month ago.

Not sure how much more motivation or opportunities these blokes want.

And instead of just talking a big game, maybe Ratts can make a few changes at his end too. 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 9:03pm Sounds great, but this should have been the message a month ago.

And instead of just talking a big game, maybe Ratts can make a few changes at his end too. 👍
Yep look he’s got to keep them up but as coach he has the power at selection to alter some things......do it
Give Coffield and Clarke a run through the middle....maybe see how Long goes for a short spell...
Let Battle settle in for a game as a lead forward to support King and Membrey while Marshall floats down deep
Bring in Bytel drop a Kent
Maybe Hind has a rest Savage on a wing opposite Hill and throw Billings forward ??? I’m not against running Billings off half back if he can recapture his good use form....
There are things you can do as coach so don’t just do the same
Changes must be made for this weeks game will be watching closely

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Very old school approach by Ratten, talking abut the outcome (playing finals), motivation to make it, emotion of senior players never having played a final, fear factor and reward. I like it.

The modern elite sports coaching I have witnessed is all about process and preparation.
Psychology of understanding you will perform as you have done the work, you are prepared and when you are in this state you trust your preparation and process and you will perform.

He might even go John Kennedy and rev them up pre match :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 10:15pm Very old school approach by Ratten, talking abut the outcome (playing finals), motivation to make it, emotion of senior players never having played a final, fear factor and reward. I like it.

The modern elite sports coaching I have witnessed is all about process and preparation.
Psychology of understanding you will perform as you have done the work, you are prepared and when you are in this state you trust your preparation and process and you will perform.

True ... but that’s just the video ... this is the copy piece that goes with it - https://www.saints.com.au/news/812854/d ... U60gU_vnxU

This proves the context to the video and that’s about as topically modern as you can get ... ie demonstrable VULNERABILITY and it’s the coach who’s put himself out there re: his 93 GF performance.

He’s using his own failings, shortcomings and experience to implore his boys not to make the same mistakes as he did.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintkev
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 8:58pm I like the let’s look forward on 1 condition.....in the “let’s enjoy it’s exciting “ let’s also not be afraid coaching panel down to call out what those lessons to be learnt are and address them don’t hide behind gee it’s exciting “cause who would’ve that we’d have gotten this close to Finals??” You have an opportunity to cap off all your hard work by making the final 8 take it.

It’s tough in a Covid year to even train let alone learn new game tactics mid year that you can’t train for BUT these are AFL footballers who I hope have enough brains to get the message DONT BOMB INTO FORWARD 50 for the seventh game in a row ...look for an option and if one presents ....honour it!

Good marketing but proofs in the pudding for mine so we’ll see Fri

I’m not being picky but last week was do it for Danny.....that didn’t work.....actions speak much louder
The do it for Danny was done in a bland tone almost beseeching the players. It should have been delivered in an impassioned tone with stack of Frawley selfless highlights

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As well as pride and the sense of accomplishment and that europhic feeling that comes from team success in a big game, I reckon the club should do a deal with the players

There's nothing more definite than providing some sort of reward to players and nothing better than an incentive that involves self interest. :idea:

If we do win and make finals it will provide real benefits to the club/ Imagine what the benefits are with sponsors and extra memberships!!! kahching $$$$

Let's do a deal with the players// Win and you get X Y and Z you bastards :wink: :twisted:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 6:11am As well as pride and the sense of accomplishment and that europhic feeling that comes from team success in a big game, I reckon the club should do a deal with the players

There's nothing more definite than providing some sort of reward to players and nothing better than an incentive that involves self interest. :idea:

If we do win and make finals it will provide real benefits to the club/ Imagine what the benefits are with sponsors and extra memberships!!! kahching $$$$

Let's do a deal with the players// Win and you get X Y and Z you bastards :wink: :twisted:
lindsay Fox tried that in the final round of 1980. Promised the players an all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii if they beat North Melbourne, who were at that stage the perennial Grand Finalists of that era, at their home ground Arden Street.

We drew :shock:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good speech but it won't mean much unless we win

Nee!
The Peanut
Club Player

I counted 10 BUT'S on this thread so far - you want the players to take the game on BUT ... you support the coach BUT ...

Gershwin
Club Player

And the players are thinking "Gee I hope they've got chicken nuggets on the menu tonight".

summertime and the living is easy ........
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 10:15pm Very old school approach by Ratten, talking abut the outcome (playing finals), motivation to make it, emotion of senior players never having played a final, fear factor and reward. I like it.

Send Ratts a gaberdine overcoat to wear for the rest of the season!

Saint supporter since '62
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

He seems like a very good coach in terms of man management. Inspiring type.

Honestly it won't really matter if we win this week I'm still proud of the boys and the club for the resolve they've shown in a chaotic and difficult situation.

We've vastly exceeded my expectations at times and also underachieved but I really feel like we're moving forward to something better and that's all any fan can ask I think.

Go Saints!

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 9:44am I counted 10 BUT'S on this thread so far - you want the players to take the game on BUT ... you support the coach BUT ...
Or others talking out their buts?

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 6:11am As well as pride and the sense of accomplishment and that europhic feeling that comes from team success in a big game, I reckon the club should do a deal with the players

Lets do a deal, win and you will get paid for doing your job.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 8:16am

lindsay Fox tried that in the final round of 1980. Promised the players an all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii if they beat North Melbourne, who were at that stage the perennial Grand Finalists of that era, at their home ground Arden Street.

many years ago when my son was playing tennis tournaments, every now and then I would offer him $50 if he won his match and the tactic never failed :D

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 8:30am Good speech but it won't mean much unless we win
This.

We've had chances to seal a finals berth already and have crumbled under the pressure, so I won't be holding my breath.

The Saints are coming!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 9:12pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 13 Sep 2020 9:03pm Sounds great, but this should have been the message a month ago.

Yep look he’s got to keep them up but as coach he has the power at selection to alter some things......do it
Give Coffield and Clarke a run through the middle....maybe see how Long goes for a short spell...
Let Battle settle in for a game as a lead forward to support King and Membrey while Marshall floats down deep
Bring in Bytel drop a Kent
Maybe Hind has a rest Savage on a wing opposite Hill and throw Billings forward ??? I’m not against running Billings off half back if he can recapture his good use form....
There are things you can do as coach so don’t just do the same
Changes must be made for this weeks game will be watching closely
Some very good suggestions there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ah, memories. :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 5:19pm

Ah, memories. :wink:
Recently I was reminded by someone else who was at that game that the cheer squad and supporters behind the goals were chanting "Hawaaaiiiiiiiiii...Hawaaaaaaaaiiii" in the last quarter. I'd forgotten about that over time, but as soon as he said it, it brought the whole afternoon back to me.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.