Carlisle? What's his role now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle? What's his role now?

I read with interest various posters indicated that Jake hasn't been part of the team prior to tonight due to not conforming to 'structures' or having a questionable attitude.
I thought he had minimal impact tonight and looked slow lumbering around the ground. But I still say he's important to the way we structure up, ie having those 2 big backs is important against Port, Cats, WC, even tiges. If we play pies he will be important against either Miocheck or Cox or the Dogs against Bruce or Naughton. It appears to me that Ratts has been unhappy at Jake zoning off and going for his marks and wants him to play a more accountable style of game where he blankets his opposition player. It's not his go imo. He has a great pair of hands and we need that intercepting player. For mine we don't have it atm. Either Jake needs to develop an ability to blanket his opponent AND read the play like McGovern and Barrass or Wilkie is going to need to grow 3 inches this fortnight.

My own opinion was that Jake looked slow and barely touched the ball. His opponent Cameron is horribly out of form but I thought a more in form player could have really hurt us. How do we maximise Jake's ability to mark without compromising our structure and have an opposition key fwd get off the chain?? Quite the conundrum I reckon.

avid
Club Player

Re: Carlisle? What's his role now?

We should play him only if there's a particular player we need him to cover.
We can put Battle on anyone else, and there are plenty of other players deserving a game more than Carlisle.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If we play Collingwood Carlisle takes The Yank Howard V Miochek Wilkie v DeGoey.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 12:43am I read with interest various posters indicated that Jake hasn't been part of the team prior to tonight due to not conforming to 'structures' or having a questionable attitude.
I thought he had minimal impact tonight and looked slow lumbering around the ground. But I still say he's important to the way we structure up, ie having those 2 big backs is important against Port, Cats, WC, even tiges. If we play pies he will be important against either Miocheck or Cox or the Dogs against Bruce or Naughton. It appears to me that Ratts has been unhappy at Jake zoning off and going for his marks and wants him to play a more accountable style of game where he blankets his opposition player. It's not his go imo. He has a great pair of hands and we need that intercepting player. For mine we don't have it atm. Either Jake needs to develop an ability to blanket his opponent AND read the play like McGovern and Barrass or Wilkie is going to need to grow 3 inches this fortnight.

My own opinion was that Jake looked slow and barely touched the ball. His opponent Cameron is horribly out of form but I thought a more in form player could have really hurt us. How do we maximise Jake's ability to mark without compromising our structure and have an opposition key fwd get off the chain?? Quite the conundrum I reckon.
Didn't seem to be too motivated tonight but it's hard to tell with Jake he looks very laconic at times but maybe that's just how he is . His body language didn't look as though he was really giving it everything but we won & he played some part to that win. Bottom line is if he's not happy to be part of the journey he probably should go elsewhere next year but I MO he will stay

Gershwin
Club Player

From Tom Browne:
"Jake Carlisle has a tough call. He really wants to play in a final. But going to the birth of his third child is also a non negotiable. Needs to decide on returning to NSW/Vic by the end of this month. Good to see him back in the side last night."

I think having at least 2 talls in the backline is essential and I don't think Wilkie or Battle can fill the 2nd tall role. If Carlisle can't play then bring in Logan Austin. He will know the structures, is fit and minimises the changes to the side.

summertime and the living is easy ........
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think he helps the structure of the side and frees up Wilkie and Coffield to be more attacking. He brings more to the side than just his own possessions and role.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
sks023
Club Player

remboy wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 11:27am I think he helps the structure of the side and frees up Wilkie and Coffield to be more attacking. He brings more to the side than just his own possessions and role.
100%

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 12:32pm
remboy wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 11:27am I think he helps the structure of the side and frees up Wilkie and Coffield to be more attacking. He brings more to the side than just his own possessions and role.
100%
Agreed, regardless of his output, we have been exposed for height and loose the rebound value of Wilkie & Coffield when Carslile does not play.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Apples
Club Player

I also agree with this statement and other posters, we structure up much better when Carlisle is in the side. It's no co-incidence that our form has not been as good recently with Carlisle out of the side but last night we were better with Coffield and Clarke released.

It will be an interesting call next year if we go with him again.

starsign
Club Player

bIt off topic but anyone notice melon head Toby Green strike Jake Behind play With 2.08 min left Q2 ?

johnearljames
Club Player

To get traded. He gets torched by good key forwards.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 2:29pm bIt off topic but anyone notice melon head Toby Green strike Jake Behind play With 2.08 min left Q2 ?
The bad tempered prick was hitting players all night. Paton copped the brunt of it though.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Paton addedGreene to his list of conquests this yesr

One year will be our year
longtimesaint
Club Player

Paton addedGreene to his list of conquests this yesr

One year will be our year
SaintPelican66
Club Player

avid wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 12:51am We should play him only if there's a particular player we need him to cover.
We can put Battle on anyone else, and there are plenty of other players deserving a game more than Carlisle.
Battle should never again play in defense. He is much more valuable in attack.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

avid wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 12:51am We should play him only if there's a particular player we need him to cover.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

SaintPelican66
Club Player

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Balance

avid
Club Player

If we play Collingwood, we maybe need him to play on Cox.
If we play Bulldogs -- looks like Naughton's out. So no need for Carlisle. We'll want someone faster, and better.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

having watched Carlisle the last few weeks
I reckon his fatherhood role is squarely on his mind lately

Seeya