Off Season Targets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Off Season Targets

SaintPav wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:00pm
Fair calls.

I think that Luke Parker might be at Moorabbin next season. I can’t prove, it’s just a gut feeling.
Same with Caldwell.
Now you're talking!!!

Luke Parker is an absolute gun and at 27 and over 200 games gives St Kilda the experienced midfielder it is chasing.

Can't think of anyone better, only hitch is that he is contracted to 2021 but Swans may be prepared to do a deal where they get something in return this year rather than risk him leaving end 2021 as an UFA.

Well done SaintPav, you have found the missing piece in the puzzle :D

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
nobhead
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:28am
SaintPav wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:00pm
Fair calls.

I think that Luke Parker might be at Moorabbin next season. I can’t prove, it’s just a gut feeling.
Same with Caldwell.
Now you're talking!!!

Luke Parker is an absolute gun and at 27 and over 200 games gives St Kilda the experienced midfielder it is chasing.

Can't think of anyone better, only hitch is that he is contracted to 2021 but Swans may be prepared to do a deal where they get something in return this year rather than risk him leaving end 2021 as an UFA.

Well done SaintPav, you have found the missing piece in the puzzle :D
J kelly and caldwell 4 two frdp and a player or 2
Would gws do that?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jon Ralph
1:08 PM
I reckon Viney is a better player than Crouch. Both probably don't use it that well by foot. But that was an amazing stat this morning with Crouch, Luke Parker and Hugh Greenwood the worst three kicks of the top 100 ball getters. Shows when you get it in close and while you are being tackled, often your kick stats are poor. Asked Champion about his relative kick rating last night, which measures degree of difficulty. Crouch was minus 2.2 which clearly isn't great but it's acceptable. As Garry Lyon says, and he's a big Crouch fan, if he is kicking to Hawkins on the lead or handballing to Guthrie or Menegola on the run, his kick stats look much better. I think he will leave Adelaide, he is excited about Geelong, Dangerfield is trying to get him there, and if the decision had to be made today he would be at Geelong next year. I just know things change so quickly in trade week and there are still five weeks until the start of free agency

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 2:21pm Jon Ralph
I reckon Viney is a better player than Crouch. Both probably don't use it that well by foot. But that was an amazing stat this morning with Crouch, Luke Parker and Hugh Greenwood the worst three kicks of the top 100 ball getters. Shows when you get it in close and while you are being tackled, often your kick stats are poor. Asked Champion about his relative kick rating last night, which measures degree of difficulty. Crouch was minus 2.2 which clearly isn't great but it's acceptable. As Garry Lyon says, and he's a big Crouch fan, if he is kicking to Hawkins on the lead or handballing to Guthrie or Menegola on the run, his kick stats look much better. I think he will leave Adelaide, he is excited about Geelong, Dangerfield is trying to get him there, and if the decision had to be made today he would be at Geelong next year. I just know things change so quickly in trade week and there are still five weeks until the start of free agency

It would annoy me greatly if the Cats landed Crouch and we did not.

There may be better mids around than Crouch, but at present he is the best available mid going around that can be landed in this draft/trade period with paying an exorbitant trade cost in picks/players.

Add him and Caldwell, then with the mids that we already have we have something to work with for 2021 on..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
older saint
SS Life Member

considering current and future cap space and potentially the excess we currently have available I would love to see us go after McGrath from Essendon. Kid has really come on this year, Ess are a rabble you are buying when there is still upside. Crouch to me can find the ball well, but not best disposal for the money he wants. Also read he has no preferred team, just the one who will make the best offer - reads money first team/winning second ( good luck to him).

Don't know enough about kid from GWS - if next Steele great , if next Dom Tyson no thanks.

Parker is a gun, but contracted and cant see Sydney letting him go. Always talk about Wines from port and if they drop in straight sets may well become louder.

Need to add to the midfield.
Defense - biggest question marks are Logan and Clavarino, both are/ going to be key position but neither really provided much so far, if both not up to it then need to consider options there as depth will become an issue otherwise.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 2:38pm

There may be better mids around than Crouch, but at present he is the best available mid going around that can be landed in this draft/trade period with paying an exorbitant trade cost in picks/players.

Add him and Caldwell, then with the mids that we already have we have something to work with for 2021 on..
Article says that he doesn't want to live in a big city. So sleepy hollow may suit him
Besides he has major deficiencies/

"A year after he won the Adelaide best-and-fairest he has recorded career-highs in contested ball (12.9), ground-ball gets (8.4) and clearances (6.3, all figures normalised for game length) in a year plagued by injury.

Yet, as a contested beast he recorded the third-worst kicking efficiency of the top 100 ball-winners across the competition, in front of only Hugh Greenwood and Luke Parker.

He also doesn’t kick goals – 34 in 95 games and just two this season."

shadrock
Club Player

Is Jeremy Cameron someone we could target? Could he play alongside Max King and be effective? My word that would be an elite forwardline.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 2:56pm

Article says that he doesn't want to live in a big city. So sleepy hollow may suit him
Besides he has major deficiencies/

"A year after he won the Adelaide best-and-fairest he has recorded career-highs in contested ball (12.9), ground-ball gets (8.4) and clearances (6.3, all figures normalised for game length) in a year plagued by injury.

Yet, as a contested beast he recorded the third-worst kicking efficiency of the top 100 ball-winners across the competition, in front of only Hugh Greenwood and Luke Parker.

He also doesn’t kick goals – 34 in 95 games and just two this season."
Maybe if Crouch does come to us and is playing in a better team his disposal efficiency will improve. When he gets the hard ball he will be able to handpass to our outside runners instead of just blazing away like he did this year in a bottom team.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Hey guys there's whispers going around of a zoom call with an inked GWS mid (not Williams) who we are apparently deep in discussions with.

There were some technical issues at the players end apparently, which made the conference quite a bit lengthier than it was going to be!

The Saints are coming!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:37pm Hey guys there's whispers going around of a zoom call with an inked GWS mid (not Williams) who we are apparently deep in discussions with.

There were some technical issues at the players end apparently, which made the conference quite a bit lengthier than it was going to be!
Who?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 12:02am
True Blue Sainter wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:37pm Hey guys there's whispers going around of a zoom call with an inked GWS mid (not Williams) who we are apparently deep in discussions with.

Who?
He wears #14 and won their B & F last year as a 21 year old.

Apparently, did not have the greatest of exit interviews with the Giants.

The Saints are coming!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 12:04am
SaintPelican66 wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 12:02am

Who?
He wears #14 and won their B & F last year as a 21 year old.

Apparently, did not have the greatest of exit interviews with the Giants.
Great player but not worth the picks cost. They would want 2 first round draft picks. I would rather Williams for no draft picks.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It would allow Dangerdive to play forward more

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Rocket
Club Player

Taranto is a local Bayside kid. He is exactly what we need ! Would be an amazing get if we could land ...throw in Caldwell and our midfield is set. Would cost a few 1st round picks, 2nd round for Caldwell. Would do it in a heartbeat ...

Vazelos
Club Player

We are going hard for 2 GWS boys watch this space....
Big bust up there between players their window is over....
Saints to capitalise.....
I expect some aggressive trading in and out....
Best Football department and Board we have had for 50 years Lethlean is the man.

johnearljames
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 10:10am We are going hard for 2 GWS boys watch this space....
Best Football department and Board we have had for 50 years Lethlean is the man.
Bingo. 😎

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vazelos wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 10:10am We are going hard for 2 GWS boys watch this space....
It's a really weird dynamic at GWS. Coniglio only wanting to be Captain if it was him solo (no Phil Davis) and then Phil Davis leaving the hub to go back to Sydney for simple finger surgery (like Members had in Noosa) tells you everything. Those players all know that a lot of their futures depend on what Jeremy Cameron decides to do. How bizarre. One player decides what happens to 5 others.

Leigh Matthews said it the best - they pay their good players way overs to stay and their GOPs seem to continually turn over meaning there's no continuity amongst the playing group.

Also - Leon Cameron's extension is unfathomable. Dropping your Captain means that bond isn't even remotely strong. It's guys like Caldwell (good young talent) and Taranto (young B & F winner) are precisely the players you want to hold on to - not leave ... not for any amount of draft picks.

Go you red, black & white warriors
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Rocket wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 8:51am Taranto is a local Bayside kid. He is exactly what we need ! Would be an amazing get if we could land ...throw in Caldwell and our midfield is set. Would cost a few 1st round picks, 2nd round for Caldwell. Would do it in a heartbeat ...
Just what we need as well - Taranto provides the class on the inside, whilst still only being 22, and Caldwell has all the tools to become the more outside mid spreading from the contest.

The Saints are coming!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Something was amiss at GWS all year, they just didnt play with any spirit. Having said that I would happily take Taranto & Caldwell off them to help out with their salary cap issues.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Jeremy Cameron has looked disinterested all year. To me, he looks like he's not a popular player among the group. They've boxed themselves into a corner with some of those huge contracts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 7:42pm Jeremy Cameron has looked disinterested all year. To me, he looks like he's not a popular player among the group. They've boxed themselves into a corner with some of those huge contracts.
1.5 million per annum, I hear. Not worth even a third of that.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 23 Sep 2020 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Fkn Hells no. 1.5 Pa... Hes been playing like a busted arsehole all year.
Ben Brown would be a better investment at probably less than half that.

I would go balls deep in this years and next years first rounder if it meant #14 and #5 came over.

#14 would be the missing piece IMO. MOIST

Will believe it when I see it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hey I would love Taranto too.....but his contract status is: Out of contract at the end of 2022

Heeney flavour of the day on BigFooty at present is also under contract.

Now you can still trade for players who are contracted, but the trade cost is greater.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

The trade period will take place from November 4-12, with the free agency period commencing on October 30.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

so much bulltish to go under the bridge

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....