Paddy joins a very exclusive club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

Paddy joins a very exclusive club

Thanks too Dan I have too spend 22hrs at home each day , now I thought about our great victory last night and the BOG display by our ruckman Paddy Ryder then I thought has a St Kilda ruckman been BOG in a Final before?? this is what I found

Indeed in 53 Finals played by St Kilda (including last night) Paddy became only the 3rd St Kilda Ruckman too be BOG in a Final

Big Carl did it 3 times 1963 First Semi as a 17yr old no less , 1971 Prem and the 1972 First Semi
Roy "Big Man" Fountain 1939 First Semi apart from having a great nick name he destroyed Jack Dyer and powered the Saints too a great win

So Paddy you be very sadly missed for the rest of the year , but we all hold your performance last night in very high regard

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy joins a very exclusive club

Good research!

I was lucky enough to be at all three of Carl's games you mention, although a bit young to remember the 1963 semi in any detail. All I remember is we came home with a wet sail and would have won if not for poor kicking.

I watched the entire 1971 Preliminary on YouTube just the other week. I only got to see the second half due to my sister getting married that morning and leaving the lunchtime reception after the main course. I listened to the match on my tranny on the train as Allan Davis tore the Tigers apart. Arriving at half time, I always had him as BOG for his mercurial 6 goals on a day when it never stopped raining (and ruined my new suit). Watching the game again the other week, two things stood out. Davis was a remarkably strong mark for 180 cm and Carl was an awesome athlete. The big bloke just ran and ran all day and he was very quick. He clearly was BOG, but Davis had done the damage with 6 before Hafey thought putting Sheedy on him might help. It did, but then Breen had a huge last quarter after being very quiet.

1972 was the first year of the final 5 and, I think, the 22 game season. Carl destroyed the Bombers. We lost the Preliminary Final to Carlton a couple of weeks later and then lost Carl to Melbourne under the 10 year rule. That marked the gradual sinking of the Saints into the deep abyss in the Moorabbin mud. Fortunately, those horrible years are well behind us.

And, yes, Paddy's performance on Saturday was a Ditterich-like domination. The look of despair on his face when the siren sounded made me cry. He has fitted in to the Club as. 32 year old like he has played for us his entire career. Inspired recruitment of an inspiring individual.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 5:51pm Good research!

I was lucky enough to be at all three of Carl's games you mention, although a bit young to remember the 1963 semi in any detail. All I remember is we came home with a wet sail and would have won if not for poor kicking.

I watched the entire 1971 Preliminary on YouTube just the other week. I only got to see the second half due to my sister getting married that morning and leaving the lunchtime reception after the main course. I listened to the match on my tranny on the train as Allan Davis tore the Tigers apart. Arriving at half time, I always had him as BOG for his mercurial 6 goals on a day when it never stopped raining (and ruined my new suit). Watching the game again the other week, two things stood out. Davis was a remarkably strong mark for 180 cm and Carl was an awesome athlete. The big bloke just ran and ran all day and he was very quick. He clearly was BOG, but Davis had done the damage with 6 before Hafey thought putting Sheedy on him might help. It did, but then Breen had a huge last quarter after being very quiet.

1972 was the first year of the final 5 and, I think, the 22 game season. Carl destroyed the Bombers. We lost the Preliminary Final to Carlton a couple of weeks later and then lost Carl to Melbourne under the 10 year rule. That marked the gradual sinking of the Saints into the deep abyss in the Moorabbin mud. Fortunately, those horrible years are well behind us.

And, yes, Paddy's performance on Saturday was a Ditterich-like domination. The look of despair on his face when the siren sounded made me cry. He has fitted in to the Club as. 32 year old like he has played for us his entire career. Inspired recruitment of an inspiring individual.
Fantastic post mate. Just fantastic. Brings back long forgotten memories. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sad that We lost Carl and Davis to Melbourne.

Good that both returned to the saints. Carl as a player and Alan as an assistant coach.

bergsone
SS Life Member

71 was from memory the game Balme hit him from behind then rode him into the ground,still BOG

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 7:19pm 71 was from memory the game Balme hit him from behind then rode him into the ground,still BOG
In any game in any year Balme would hit somebody from behind!

Like Balmey as a bloke but talk about white line fever! Who in their right mind would want to whack Big Carlton a footy field?

Saint supporter since '62
ace
Saintsational Legend

Get him assessed quickly in Melbourne and then quickly back to Queensland, he will need to do 2 weeks isolation before he can play in the Grand Final.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08