Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Carlisle

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:10pm
My dad has a fantastic relationship with all his children amazing as he wasn't there to bond at birth. :roll:
lol - and my dad used to beat me with a stick but look how well I turned out, etc....

johnearljames
Club Player

Fully support his decision to go to the birth of his child. Giving birth can be highly dangerous and complicated. The life of your wife and newborn come before a game of finals footy. He should be there for his family. Family comes first, always.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
older saint
SS Life Member

Can't believe there is any debate about this. This is completely , 100% a decision for the Carlisle family to make, and them alone. Whatever decision is made must be supported by everyone. Yes in the same situation people may make ( or think they will make) a different decision and in those circumstances the same would apply - respect the decision and don't debate the merits of it.

There is no right or wrong answer to this based on society it is an individual decision and while we live in a free country ( He's not ion Victoria so I can say that), it is their right to do what is best for them.

All I hope is everyone comes through it safe and healthy

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If by any miracle we happen to get up can he play in the Prelim?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:35pm
Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:28pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:23pm Family has to come first so hopefully all goes well for Jake and his wife. Its a shame because Jake was really up and about against WB and had a really good game.
Fair enough. So if Jake decided to play this Friday would you have been disappointed with that decision? Would you have believed that he has let his family down? I mean family HAS to come first.

Question isn't just directed at you Impatient Sainter. I'm genuinely curious about the answer of those who say that Jake has made the right choice.
Whatever choice he makes is the 'right' choice, because it is his and his family's choice, no one else's. Only they know all the ins-and-outs of the situation.

Think of it this way, we don't need him to play, we want him to play. Every argument you've produced above can easily be made for the exact opposite position, I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

You also seem to be totally dismissing the whole mental/emotional side of child birth.

Lastly, I don't think anyone on their death bed has ever said "Gee I wish I spent more time at work and less with my family"
Okay. So this is a family matter and any choice he makes is the right one. Fair enough. Hard to argue with that. I guess my point is that we've all been conditioned that being there at birth is the 'right' choice. How many women have you heard say, 'he'd want to be present, otherwise I'll …….. if he isn't.' People keep saying 'family comes first.' But who decides what family matters are most important and what aren't? Like I said, would you be as tolerant if Jake said, 'our newborn is teething and I'm going to take care of the child so the mother can rest for a few days, so I'll be taking carers leave and miss the semi boys (bottle fed baby) Or, mother isn't well, home sick in bed so I'm taking the reins. I won't be at training nor be available this week's game.

I tell you what I reckon Jake would regret on his death bed. Playing in one final. Having a chance to play in a 2nd final but decided against it. You call this weekend work? This is his reward FOR the hard work. This is what the footballers play for. Well I thought they did

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If we beat Richmond can he return for the following game?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:54pm If by any miracle we happen to get up can he play in the Prelim?
If she stays in.the border zone for the birth, he should be able to come back. He has resided in Qld for work purposes for months now.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 1:10pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:23pm Family has to come first so hopefully all goes well for Jake and his wife. Its a shame because Jake was really up and about against WB and had a really good game.
Fair enough. So if Jake decided to play this Friday would you have been disappointed with that decision? Would you have believed that he has let his family down? I mean family HAS to come first.

Question isn't just directed at you Impatient Sainter. I'm genuinely curious about the answer of those who say that Jake has made the right choice.
Whatever choice he makes is the 'right' choice, because it is his and his family's choice, no one else's. Only they know all the ins-and-outs of the situation.

Think of it this way, we don't need him to play, we want him to play. Every argument you've produced above can easily be made for the exact opposite position, I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

You also seem to be totally dismissing the whole mental/emotional side of child birth.

Lastly, I don't think anyone on their death bed has ever said "Gee I wish I spent more time at work and less with my family"
Okay. So this is a family matter and any choice he makes is the right one. Fair enough. Hard to argue with that. I guess my point is that we've all been conditioned that being there at birth is the 'right' choice. How many women have you heard say, 'he'd want to be present, otherwise I'll …….. if he isn't.' People keep saying 'family comes first.' But who decides what family matters are most important and what aren't? Like I said, would you be as tolerant if Jake said, 'our newborn is teething and I'm going to take care of the child so the mother can rest for a few days, so I'll be taking carers leave and miss the semi boys (bottle fed baby) Or, mother isn't well, home sick in bed so I'm taking the reins. I won't be at training nor be available this week's game.

I tell you what I reckon Jake would regret on his death bed. Playing in one final. Having a chance to play in a 2nd final but decided against it. You call this weekend work? This is his reward FOR the hard work. This is what the footballers play for. Well I thought they did
I tend to agree.
Mrs Carlisle might feel a new contract with the Saints and a steady income coming in would be as important as Jake saying Breathe and holding her hand.

(I know there's more to it but come on ...this is a semi!)

Nee!
happy feet
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:54pm Can't believe there is any debate about this. This is completely , 100% a decision for the Carlisle family to make, and them alone. Whatever decision is made must be supported by everyone. Yes in the same situation people may make ( or think they will make) a different decision and in those circumstances the same would apply - respect the decision and don't debate the merits of it.

There is no right or wrong answer to this based on society it is an individual decision and while we live in a free country ( He's not ion Victoria so I can say that), it is their right to do what is best for them.

All I hope is everyone comes through it safe and healthy
Spot on Older Saint.

Family must come first, always. Some posters need to get a grip on life and remember this is only a game of football.

I have a relative who lost his wife shortly after giving birth due to complications, so it’s not always so straightforward.

We just need to support Jake and his family 100% in this issue.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Family comes first....

yeah..duh...of course

universal

Now..

but what do we pay for?

its pay to play from St Kilda's view....

i would put it in everyone's contract.. You disappear for your children, fine, of course..the moment you are an expecting couple you go on to a special clause, and a different pay. We can't expect you to play. We can't expect to influence you or your decision or the feelings of your loved ones....fine. If you don't wanna play, fine. Special clause.

All his team mates wouldn't mind. They empathise and they want the same rights themselves. But don't give all the bananas to the monkeys at once.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 1:30pm
Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 1:10pm

I tend to agree.
Mrs Carlisle might feel a new contract with the Saints and a steady income coming in would be as important as Jake saying Breathe and holding her hand.

(I know there's more to it but come on ...this is a semi!)
Maybe she chose NSW because a better contract was on offer in that state.
We dropped Carlisle not long ago, apparently because of his attitude and unavailability for finals.
We've changed our tune now and some expect Jake to give up the family commitments because we need him.
FFS.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I have suddenly realized that Jake and club had all decided this months ago. They released it to us like his for PR reasons.

sks023
Club Player

I would miss my own funeral to play but that 's just me
Hopefully another father and son on the way. Best wishes Jake!

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
saintbob
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:54pm If by any miracle we happen to get up can he play in the Prelim?

Probably not with the quarantine rules

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 2:17pm I have suddenly realized that Jake and club had all decided this months ago. They released it to us like his for PR reasons.
no

clearly , its been stated by Ratts a number of times over the journey
... its his decision and the club will back him in
which ever way the cards fall

all very out in the open

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 2:31pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 2:17pm I have suddenly realized that Jake and club had all decided this months ago. They released it to us like his for PR reasons.
no

clearly , its been stated by Ratts a number of times over the journey
... its his decision and the club will back him in
which ever way the cards fall

all very out in the open
Of course Ratts would say that...no?

a) Ratts is keeping the door open
b) Ratts and club are playing it safe

They knew. They all knew well ahead. I hate the pious* attitude now...

*Correct word? I dunno...I am grumpy about it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Perhaps all the whingers could start a GoFundMe page to raise money for an early ceaseraian

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 2:06pm
i would put it in everyone's contract.. You disappear for your children, fine, of course..the moment you are an expecting couple you go on to a special clause, and a different pay. We can't expect you to play. We can't expect to influence you or your decision or the feelings of your loved ones....fine. If you don't wanna play, fine. Special clause.

All his team mates wouldn't mind. They empathise and they want the same rights themselves. But don't give all the bananas to the monkeys at once.
Pretty sure there are things like the AFLPA and, you know, the law, that would have something to say about this.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Good luck Jake, I hope its a boy

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 2:25pm

Probably not with the quarantine rules
Sounds like he won't be back according to Jake in the interview.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
one point
Club Player

Feels like that may have been his last game for the saints

longtimesaint
Club Player

Why would they not offer him another contract as his form has been excellent and the whole backline has worked well together.?

One year will be our year
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

one point wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 4:24pm Feels like that may have been his last game for the saints
I disagree.
I reckon he has a contract on the table but we are waiting to find out exact Salary Cap for next year first.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Sanctorum
Club Player

Can't believe all the miserable carry on about Jake Carlisle going back to his family for the new birth.

Imagine the media frenzy if he put football ahead of family and something went horribly wrong during childbirth.

The bloke doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean public profile as it is.

Having been away from his wife and children for months you can hardly blame him for wanting to stand by their side during this significant event. In normal circumstances, if there had not been this dreadful pandemic none of this would have happened.

Careers in football last just a few years, family life lasts forever...

Instead of condemnation, Jake deserves compliments and admiration for committing to his family responsibilities ahead of his team!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist