Ratts backs Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ratts backs Marshall

https://www.saints.com.au/video/823927/ ... 2121955001

I would say definite ins are Marsh and Battle who Ratts said was fit and then it's out of Roberton and Savage for the Long spot.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts backs Marshall

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 2:51pm https://www.saints.com.au/video/823927/ ... 2121955001

I would say definite ins are Marsh and Battle who Ratts said was fit and then it's out of Roberton and Savage for the Long spot.
I've got more chance of being selected than Robbo.

It will be Hind in and a reshuffle to fill Longs spot.

Ins will be Marsh. Hind and Battle maybe Ed as a smokey.

older saint
SS Life Member

If Geary goes back then expect Hind to try and exploit Richmond for Pace.
I like the idea of Savage and Geary a defensive forward on Houli. They like to get the ball in his hand and he doesn't like to be pushed deep

I am guessing Battle on Wing or Valustin ( as per job he did on Haynes ) - which if so then likely Hind in and Geary back, and Marsh to play deep and back up ruck against Chol.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 4:12pm
saynta wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 2:51pm https://www.saints.com.au/video/823927/ ... 2121955001

I've got more chance of being selected than Robbo.

It will be Hind in and a reshuffle to fill Longs spot.

Ins will be Marsh. Hind and Battle maybe Ed as a smokey.
We will see.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 4:17pm If Geary goes back
This would be a mistake.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

My changes would be Battle to CHB, Marsh to Forward Pocket & 2nd ruck and Savage to HBF or Geary to HBF and Hind forward.,

nobhead
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 4:38pm
This would be a mistake.
Don't be suprised to see hind if he comes in play hb role . Reason is if his opponent doesn't show some accountability hind is one player who could hurt em with his speed and kicking.would also be easier for him to get into the game instead of trying to play that defensive rwd role.gears yo play on houlli .marsh as well and battle back

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com.au

"
Tall or small? Saints still undecided on defensive decision

St Kilda is still weighing up how its backline will look for Friday night's semi-final against Richmond
By Riley Beveridge - 4 hrs ago
Dylan Roberton could return for the semi-final.

THE QUESTION is still being debated at St Kilda: Tall or small?

With the club forced to react to losing a trio of key players for various reasons ahead of Friday night's semi-final against reigning premier Richmond, Brett Ratten and the club's coaching staff is still working through what approach it will take in the backline.

Jake Carlisle will miss, having returned to Victoria for the birth of his child, while Paddy Ryder (hamstring) and Ben Long (suspension) are also unavailable for selection.

Josh Battle is likely to return following a foot injury, while Dylan Roberton is "very close" to earning selection after just five games in three seasons due to ongoing heart issues, but a complicated decision is still facing the Saints in regard to the team's defensive outlook.

St Kilda went on the small side earlier this season in a 15-point loss to West Coast and could recall Shane Savage and take a similar route against Richmond. But Battle, Roberton and potential forward inclusion Jon Marsh could give the Saints a taller team.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said earlier this week that his side could look to stretch an undersized St Kilda, with Tom Lynch returning to partner Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis and potentially Mabior Chol, with Ratten wary of just how to defend the taller Tigers.

"It's the talking point at match committee … do we roll the dice and go small in defence, or do we go with a bit more height and make sure that we can defend those players?" he said.

"The West Coast game, at times it was good but there was a patch in the second quarter which was horrible for us. It's been a talking point and we'll just wait and see on that.

St Kilda will make the three-hour bus trip from its hub in Noosa to Gold Coast on Thursday afternoon, giving the side as much preparation time as possible for the must-win semi-final.

It adds another complicating factor to a week where the Saints lost Ryder and Carlisle, before being unsuccessful in their attempts to free Long from a one-match suspension at the AFL Tribunal.

"There will be three inclusions, which is not perfect, but that's the way it is," Ratten said.

"We had a different-looking team from the first final to when we first played Richmond, when Marsh played and a few others as well. It might look a bit similar to that."

Ryder's absence will mean Marshall will have to ruck solo on Friday night. However, despite the pressures involved, Ratten backed the club's gun youngster to overcome dual premiership big man Nankervis.

"Last time it was Marshall against Nankervis and it was one ruckman each," Ratten said.

"They might have two this time, by all reports. But I think Rowan has been ready to go and is looking to play more ruck time, so it's a great opportunity for him.

"That's why we brought Paddy in, to make sure they were fresh at the pointy end of the year. It's been a big workload for some of the rucks in the competition, who have had to do it by themselves. But he's ready to go. I think he'll really thrive in this environment."

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said earlier this week that his side could look to stretch an undersized St Kilda, with Tom Lynch returning to partner Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis and potentially Mabior Chol, with Ratten wary of just how to defend the taller Tigers.

The taller Tigers is a bit of a myth even if they play Chol as well as Nankervis.

With Battle and Marsh in St Kilda have plenty of height all over the ground even if we only have on true ruckman.

The Tiges backline has no really tall key back option and overall will concede a height advantage to our talls up forward and will find King, Marsh, Membrey with Marshall pushing forward a handful.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaron82
Club Player

In my opinion if Geary play’s back we will find it extremely difficult to win. The biggest fault on Geary in the backline is he panic’s under pressure and quite often our other defenders become nervous when he is nearby.

Up forward he has been brilliant in a number of games firstly stopping his opponent but then providing strong offence and hitting the scoreboard.

I’d send Geary to Jayden Short, he is a beautiful long kick of the ball but I reckon Geary might be able to expose him defensively

and that's the bottom line
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

nobhead wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 4:47pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 4:38pm
This would be a mistake.
Don't be suprised to see hind if he comes in play hb role . Reason is if his opponent doesn't show some accountability hind is one player who could hurt em with his speed and kicking.would also be easier for him to get into the game instead of trying to play that defensive rwd role.gears yo play on houlli .marsh as well and battle back

I meant if Gears plays back it would be a mistake.

They should play him in the defensive forward role.

Our other small back options are all quicker, and are better with offensive play.

Whereas Geary has done very well this year as a defensive forward except when they played him on the much taller Stewart.

Down back smalls include Paton, Coffield (not so small), Clark and Savage.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Ratten was always going to minimise the disruption in the back half. One goes out, one comes in. Wilkie will get first crack at Jack, Savage will likely start.

They'll back Marshall to outplay, and outlast, Nankervis. Tigs have dropped Chol, so the 2nd ruck is irrelevant - Marsh and Battle can 'share', according to who the Tigs come up with, and the state of play. Geary will play a defensive role forward, just not sure on who.

Battle and Marsh will likely be given duties to protect Max - and, let him run up the ground - if Hardwicke sends Grimes to Max. Max runs up, and hooks back. Battle/Marsh stay deep, hopefully to suck Vlaustin back close to goal. Membrey's the wild card - Balter? Or, does he go to Max?

Clark will be the swing man. Trouble in defence? Clark spends time back, not only to defend, but to extract out of contests, and send it back our way.

Not sure who Ross will run with. As Lyon said on FC, last night, you don't tag inside mids, you tag inside/outside, or just outside, mids. Cotchin, maybe? Prestia?

I doubt they'll worry about Martin. What's the point? Best to dry up supply. Take last week. 1/4 time, Dusty's BOG, and Neale hadn't touched it. After that? Brissy got the pill first, and Dusty couldn't weave his magic.

I don't think they've got anyone ideally suited to Steele. The Dogs quelled his influence - didn't stop it, and had more choices than the Tigs to play the role.

This is winnable, if they exploit the key strength - quick ball movement, particularly from defence, and leg speed in the front half. Disrupt their control by halving in contests and stoppages, and get running off the back of your 'half'.

Go 'general chaos' - they do not like it. Our biggest losses this year have been to Girlong and the Pies - both heavily reliant on controlling game structure and game speed.

Deserved outsiders, given their record, but it's winnable.

I trust Ratten. The bloke has deep football know how, and they play for him - and, he's convinced them that to play for him, is to play for themselves and the jumper. The vibe's good, and growing.

Not 'result' confident, but hopeful off the back of the team dynamic.

If it happens to come down to most important vs most important, it might come down to Dusty vs Rohan i.e. 'the exceptionals'.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back ToT

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stkfc1
Club Player

I actually think we match up well.with the Tigs.

I'd back Wilkie over Jack. And Dougal over Lynch. Reckon we can keep them under 4 goals ( hopefully).

Martin will go forward but if we can cut off the supply then becomes a non factor.

We must keep their backline accountable. They zone off their opponents better than anyone so we can't allow them to out number our forwards. Would love to see Marsh use that big frame of his and make his presence known

We need to be relentless in our pressure. We need to make this a game of inches. We have a free swing as far as I'm concerned so feeling good about the game.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Great summary Thommo

There are question marks on Richmond with their arrogance and their sense of entitlement. Their lapses in discipline during matches has cost them on the scoreboard. The Tigers have had quite a few interruptions to their year with non football issues and controversy. This is also a sign of their attitude that they are better or different to the rest of the competition. They are turning into Geelong.

The best way we can continue to deflate their egos is to pummel them on the scoreboard with a flurry of attacking football in the first half. After that, I hope we can get in their heads and upset their momentum if they get back into the game, which they have shown they are usually capable of doing. We focussed on football with the Doggies, but I think we have to play the man against Richmond when we feel we need a momentum swing.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned is the 1 day extra that Richmond have had to rehab to prepare and to freshen up for this encounter. Any advantage that you can get over your opponents is important. Who knows if there is any effect, but you know what they say about every 1% advantage.

I also have faith in Ratts, but there is something that troubles me...and that’s simply us having a 6 day break and them having a 7 day break. After we have had to play in the Queensland heat...(which was earlier in the day than the time Richmond had to play) perhaps that’s another small physical advantage that could prove to be a factor.

The fact that we needed to sit in a bus for 2 and half hours ( and they haven’t had to do that) may also be a factor. These are the little things could mean our guys don’t have the stamina for the 1 percenters or perhaps our leg speed at times and our awareness are affected.

Hopefully I’m getting worried about insignificant factors. The game time is shorter this year so possibly the 6 day versus 7 days isn’t a factor. Hopefully our boys have slept well, and come out fresh and do us proud

GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTERS

Saints94
SS Life Member

Love the changes..

Roma will be fine

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:03pm

I doubt they'll worry about Martin. What's the point? Best to dry up supply
Last time we played the Tigers it was Wilkie on Dusty when he went forward and Ross tagging him when on the ball. I expect the same.

If we can stop Dusty from exploding we are in with a real chance. Dusty in 2020 is not quite the Dusty we have seen in recent seasons and we need to keep him that way.

Rats does seek to stop the opposition main threats. Last week he focussed on Bont and Caleb and we did well.

Against GWS Ross was meant to be tagging Kelly, but mentally took the game off and kept allowing him too much space.

But Rats also seeks to interrupt the oppositions preferred style of play. I expect Rats will copy the Lions tactic of matching the Tigers when they play 7 back (ie their winger pushing back). The Lions always had their wing follow the Tigers wing back when he went into the the Tigers backline to try a and cause an outnumber and have a player free to release to. Without that free tiger their ability to move the ball out of the backhalf was severely constrained.

The Cats and WCE games showed what happens when we do not successfully limit the oppositions style of play and key players. Though Nic Nat leap is hard to curtail. But Kelly should not have had the space he was allowed.

We need a TEAM effort today. Everyone doing their bit.