Match Thread Saints v Tigers Semi Final 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Tigers Semi Final 2020

Hill was Terrible.

Probably his career worst game.

Hannas not far behind.

Billings, Kent, Lonie...

f*** half the 22 were seriously down. Probably a bridge too far anyway but holy s*** they need to have a long hard look.

The glass is half full. I am grateful for their 2020 season.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:14pm Now I know why Richmond let Butler go...he’s a passenger. Add Hill, Hannebery, Lonie and Sinclair to that list.
bulls***

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Peanut Farm
Club Player

Totally outclassed and not hard enough.
Hill, Jones and Sinclair were terrible. Geary was poor, Marsh is probably a suburban player at best and a few just qrent hard enough qt the contest.
Missed Paddy in the middle, got smashed....Marshall tried and poor kicking is poor footy.

Great effort to make it this far. Need another midfielder next year if we want to make finals again.

saintkid
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 9:57pm Just one of those nights
Can't keep thinking like that Dud. Do I need to say it again? You need to make your own luck, with direct, attacking and positive play. Excuse like that don't cut it with me. Get your head out of the sand here.

The Dogs didn't have 'one of those nights' in their four finals wins in 2016 to win the flag. We have a number of players that get regularly picked week in week out that are continually found wanting and back pedal in big games. Reality check is probably they're not good enough. Our best player last week (in a game that was almost lost in the end) was a 32 year old going on 33 at his third club. Dare I say, if he didn't play such a fantastic game, we would most likely not have won.

Reflecting on that, tonight was likely more a reality check than 'just one of those nights'. :roll:

George27
Club Player

We gave a good contest.

We were severely undermanned.

We did not get the rub of the green from the umpires.

We have regained the respect of the footy world.

Thanks for the ride this season , boys. See you all next year ! I am looking forward to it already.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:17pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:15pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:07pm 6.13, says everything you need to know.

We’ll be better next year, can’t wait to see the development of King etc 👍
It doesn’t really
You have to look at how we brought the ball in and really how easy we allowed them to take the ball from centre clearance
I think we did enough to win if we took our chances, missed a lot of very gettable shots.

Experience on the big stage was the main difference for mine, so hopefully we learn from this.
I think every time tigers applied pressure we struggled so it’s not just bad kicking
Sure played a part but anyone watching that could see we were on the back foot all night
We lack some class around the ball
Few trades will help that

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:21pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 9:57pm Just one of those nights
Can't keep thinking like that Dud. Do I need to say it again? You need to make your own luck, with direct, attacking and positive play. Excuse like that don't cut it with me. Get your head out of the sand here.

The Dogs didn't have 'one of those nights' in their four finals wins in 2016 to win the flag. We have a number of players that get regularly picked week in week out that are continually found wanting and back pedal in big games. Reality check is probably they're not good enough. Our best player last week (in a game that was almost lost in the end) was a 32 year old going on 33 at his third club. Dare I say, if he didn't play such a fantastic game, we would most likely not have won.

Reflecting on that, tonight was likely more a reality check than 'just one of those nights'. :roll:
Pretty sure you won’t find anyone of this forum who’s carried on about the importance of accurate goal kicking than me.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Well I’ve been known to be a little bit negative but I have to say I am really happy with the way things turned out this year i’m having a bit of a chuckle at the moment at some of the Dick heads on here singling out players for this loss
We finally have a side that is peppered with young champions and a real future after next trade period and a few tweaks we are going to be the real thing
We played very well seasoned and drilled side and seriously who honestly thought we were going to win tonight so to all the wankers carrying on here pull your heads in

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:22pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:02pm We are cooked
Ah, I love optimism!
I always dream we will win the granny every year.
But I also don't bullsh1t when we are clearly going to get ridden hard and put away wet.

Great season! Well done lads!!!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:25pm Well I’ve been known to be a little bit negative but I have to say I am really happy with the way things turned out this year i’m having a bit of a chuckle at the moment at some of the Dick heads on here singling out players for this loss
We finally have a side that is peppered with young champions and a real future after next trade period and a few tweaks we are going to be the real thing
We played very well seasoned and drilled side and seriously who honestly thought we were going to win tonight so to all the wankers carrying on here pull your heads in
You gaddarn right things are going upward!!! Losses suck , but they kill when you feel no hope for the future. But thats not us anymore. We need to improve for sure but what a ride 2020!!!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

They kicked some crazy good/lucky goals....We missed so many gettable....We were in that game and got better and better.

First quarter we were nervous then settled and outplayed Tigers in next two quarters.

Nee!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Guys wee kicked 6.13 . That is the reason we lost. So many positives from this year so I am happy. Hunter, Coffield and Patton. Coudol you honestly ask for a better draft from 2017. Wilkie keeps getting better, and Butler what a steal, King showing huge glimpses. I could go on but you get the point. And thats just the on field talent

Chin up saints fans and to quote timbuk 3 (yes i am that old)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Tigers tippy tappy mongrel punt lucky bounce footy won the day and didnt help that we couldnt kick straight

We have a very young squad and should improve again next year so Top 4 is a very real proposition

Tigers likely to get blitzed next week in Adelaide by a well rested Port ..... well I hope so anyway

Bring on Trade week!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Winmore
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:25pm Well I’ve been known to be a little bit negative but I have to say I am really happy with the way things turned out this year i’m having a bit of a chuckle at the moment at some of the Dick heads on here singling out players for this loss
I agree, the side was not up to it tonight. Apart from the obvious omissions we had injuries during the game. I was very proud of the team effort. I don’t understand why that precludes criticism of players you have anointed as elite who don’t give a yelp. End of.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Simple Jack held to 4 disposals and 0 goals by Wilkie

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Full time
Saints 6.13.49 v Tigers 12.8.80
Bad kicking is bad football - and we had a shocker.

At the end of the day we finished in 6th place which is a great effort considering the raft of new players and a new coach and not much training together with the covid crap.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:37pm Full time
Saints 6.13.49 v Tigers 12.8.80
Bad kicking is bad football - and we had a shocker.

At the end of the day we finished in 6th place which is a great effort considering the raft of new players and a new coach and not much training together with the covid crap.
5th place if Pies lose

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Brave effort in the end but way too many passengers Kent,Lonie ,Hill,Billings,Sinclair,Geary, Hanebberry, just not enough effort IMO. Take a leaf out of Cal Wilkie's game never gave up never shirked a hardball amazing game IMO. Marsh gave his all didn't have a great game but the intent was there . Marshall tried but beaten pretty comprehensively by Nankervis ,Steele & Ross tried but no composure just kicked to nothing. Membrey good game just kept presenting forward or back Coffield & Clark are our future & were handy. In summary too much left to too few :cry:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I dont have a problem with losing tonight didn’t expect to win tbh but I’m not buying the “oh gee we had the game we just kicked poorly” cause that doesn’t quite tell the full story - sure it didn’t help and we missed gettable goals and our inexperience showed but let’s face some facts also it’s time get ruthless. There is the core of a really good team here so let’s stop carrying spuds /underachievers and FFS can we get some midfield talent in finally???
Hit the trade table again hard
Be prepared to give up

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:39pm Brave effort in the end but way too many passengers Kent,Lonie ,Hill,Billings,Sinclair,Geary, Hanebberry, just not enough effort IMO. Take a leaf out of Cal Wilkie's game never gave up never shirked a hardball amazing game IMO. Marsh gave his all didn't have a great game but the intent was there . Marshall tried but beaten pretty comprehensively by Nankervis ,Steele & Ross tried but no composure just kicked to nothing. Membrey good game just kept presenting forward or back Coffield & Clark are our future & were handy. In summary too much left to too few :cry:
Good summary
I thought Sinclair was better than some more we’ll known others
Mids were ordinary and Marshall beaten but he’s still developing

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saintkev wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:14pm Now I know why Richmond let Butler go...he’s a passenger. Add Hill, Hannebery, Lonie and Sinclair to that list.
Butler has been awesome all year.
Hannebery is a complete fraud and is practically stealing $800k a year from us !

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The goals that Richmond kicked in the first half. All but one were speculative shots and they all went through the big sticks. That doesn't happen very often, and i can guarantee you it won't happen next week. In the first quarter, Steele and Jones were held at every stoppage....zero free kicks. For those who think Ben Long is just average, I can guarantee you many of those centre clearances would not have happened if he was coming off the back of the square. Without Lynch, Richmond would have lost. We're not that far off, and Richmond have hit their peak and will not get better from here.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:26pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:22pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:02pm We are cooked
Ah, I love optimism!
I always dream we will win the granny every year.
But I also don't bullsh1t when we are clearly going to get ridden hard and put away wet.

Great season! Well done lads!!!
Yeah, but cooked half way through the first quarter? The meat was still raw.

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Winmore wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:35pm
I agree, the side was not up to it tonight. Apart from the obvious omissions we had injuries during the game. I was very proud of the team effort. I don’t understand why that precludes criticism of players you have anointed as elite who don’t give a yelp. End of.
Let’s not forget the players being bagged by some tonight are the ones that Got us into the finals in the first place

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we had the skillful and talented midfield of any of the top 4 teams, we'd be a top 4 team ourselves.

That's what we lack.

Dustin Martin, even under extreme pressure, always has a plan B and if that doesn't work a plan C, D and E, etc... he will find a way to get the ball to a team mate one way or the other. He's a genius.

We need to recruit ourselves a talented midfield.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:53pm, edited 1 time in total.