The Caldwell conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Caldwell conundrum

Caldwell not very intelligent.
Has chosen a four year deal to join the Dopers.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 95a92f0035

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pav: Son, Jay Caldwell is going to Essendon. He's not coming to St Kilda
Son: Who?
Pav: Caldwell from GWS.
Son: pause..okay

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints58
Club Player

He should be a priority but to get a player like Caldwell who would be a 10 year player we might have to trade players like Hind, Sinclair, Savage, Dunstan, Roberton even dean Kent to other teams for draft picks to help our hand.
I would not trade Paton or Phillips we need young guys carnt have all mature age players.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

They are reporting on the Saints BF that Caldwell had committed to the Saints until the Crouch deal mudied the waters. I dont know if it was then our salary cap space or Caldwell's not wanting to earn his spot in the side that caused the change. Apparently though the Cadwells management werent happy with the Saints.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Good luck to him.
He has been offered a huge contract for a good period of time.
You can't blame him for taking it.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah disappointing he has gone to the dark side but not the end of the world. I'm sure there is other talent out there we can pick up for a lot less money

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bytel.

damienc
Club Player

Some perspective.

Jye Caldwell has played 11 games of AFL footy in his entire career.

If the reports are correct, that he was upset because the Saints recruited Brad Crouch and Caldwell wanted 'guaranteed' midfield time plus a big pay rise, he must be dreaming.

Crouch has already proven himself and would walk into any AFL 18. Caldwell is very much unproven.

The kid might develop into a gun midfielder and he might not.

I wish him well but disappointed he rejected our offer.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Make no mistake - I really wanted Jye. Not so much for now - for the future. But - a few things here: -

1. I was always wary when The Injectors got involved. They need mids like oxygen - they are absolutely hopeless. Heppel can't play there any more; Cutler is rubbish, Merrett is terrific but it's pretty much just him; Shiel gets it on the outside but is a horrible kick; Parish is outside, Smith runs one way and injury prone. They could always offer him game time in midfield from minute 1 - there's no competition. If he wants to play midfield without wanting to fight for it - do we really want that mentality?

2. Dons are about to lose Daniher's big salary and the $ they had allocated to Saad. Plus Fantasia - I suspect they've had to overpay significantly to get Jye in and over a longer period.

3. Even without Crouch - I'm not sure he would've played pure midfield (which is what he wanted - not half back) ahead of what we already had. Is he better than Bytel? Maybe; a little bit more outside perhaps - but $500K+ p.a. over 4 years better? Hell no.

4. Who the fvck is Jye going to kick it to? 2 meter Peter? Pfft. Ben Brown? Unlikely. Fvck me - Jye just created a massive rod for his own back - no pressure lad .... He'd want to get it a lot too and hold on to it - not much run off half back there without Saad and McKenna. And he'll be playing under Draper - good developing ruckman but no star. Their 2nd ruck is McKernan. He's Josh Bruce-esque.

5. Would you really want to tie up $500K+ p.a. on a kid who's unlikely to improve us immediately (and arguably - not even play much next year) meaning that you can't pay Hunter, Coff, Benny P, Max when they come out next? Hell no I say. And that would likely impact on our ability to attract Ben King should that opportunity present.

6. Remember that not all is lost - we still keep pick 15 (likely now 20) and get to use that on a good player we want/need. And we still have Bytel from the 2018 draft who we can play/develop without the stupid price tag pressure.

Make no mistake - this may have been about playing opportunity but it's mainly about $. And if JC had the gall to want big $ now - I'm sure his Manger would want even more in 4 years - even if he's not improved. I think we've actually dodged a bullet.

Also - fvck The Injectors
Last edited by Saintmatt on Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:37pm, edited 3 times in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 5:41pmBytel.
And Ryan Byrnes and Leo Connolly, who like Hunter Clark, can kick left and right with equal proficiency.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Caldwell sounded like being a good pick-up for St Kilda but if the deal he has been offered by Essendon is correct then I'm pleased the club didn't up the ante and offer him an even better contract.

That most certainly would have raised the eyebrows of some of the club's more experienced young guns who are on far less coin.

As others have pointed out he has only played 11 games and so is yet to be proven to become elite.

Firmly believe that Jack Bytel is destined to press for best 22 next year and if that eventuates the depth of the Saints' midfield stocks in 2021 and beyond will be as good as any in the comp.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if we could get Connor Rozee

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 5:52pm I wonder if we could get Connor Rozee
I doubt it but it would be very nice if we did he is going to be a gun :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think we can now all safely say that the club a player supported as a kid has no bearing what so ever on where that player decides to go.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He's dead to me.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:07pm I think we can now all safely say that the club a player supported as a kid has no bearing what so ever on where that player decides to go.
Clearly not a fair dinkum dyed in the wool supporter.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:07pm I think we can now all safely say that the club a player supported as a kid has no bearing what so ever on where that player decides to go.
That's very true. If ever that was a compelling argument - joining a basket case helmed by a new president and untried coach but offering game time and probs more cash vs the team you supported who's on rise and just won a final offering same-ish terms doesn't seem enough. A bit bizarre.

Anyway - he's an Injector now so, hope young Jye chokes hard whilst sucking on a backed-up fat one for the next four years ... then we'll come grab him for nix after that.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

They barrack for someone before their talent is indoctrinated in the system. Good luck to the kid, let's hope like Saad, Shiel, Stringer and Daniher he realises his mistake whilst his career still means something. It may be too late for Shiel & Stringer. Let's hope we can rescue Merrit & Jye so they can enjoy a flag.

saintbob
SS Life Member

That’s the real disappointing part, surely as a supporter he would’ve grown up dreaming of playing for the Saints. And when the opportunity comes knocking you pass it up for easier game time and a little bit more cash.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Sheedy being back at Essendon has any impact on recruitment.
He was such an influence at GWS and though before Caldwells time his presence at Essendon at least sells hope.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 7:08pm I wonder if Sheedy being back at Essendon has any impact on recruitment.
He was such an influence at GWS and though before Caldwells time his presence at Essendon at least sells hope.
If that was the case - I would think Gubby Allan being at StK would counter that. He was the one that set-up the club and recruited the established core of players.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

So a kid leaves a club after 2 seasons and 11 games to go home and for more opportunities.

He goes to a club that is guaranteeing him an opportunity and a bigger contract.

I’d prefer a kid who wants to be a part of a good team and wants to work for his opportunities.

Sounds like Caldwell and Essendon are a good match...both expect to be gifted opportunities.

damienc
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:21pm He's dead to me.
:D :D :D

StNoodles
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 5:01pm Pav: Son, Jay Caldwell is going to Essendon. He's not coming to St Kilda
Son: Who?
Pav: Caldwell from GWS.
Son: pause..okay
Wow it’s like I was really there. Thanks!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:21pm He's dead to me.
This is ridiculous but I also can’t help but feel this way