Jack Higgins deal done. No really .. like, really done!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Jack Higgins deal done. No really .. like, really done!

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 6:14pm :roll:
takeaway wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 7:27am
stkfc1 wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020 9:26pm
fugazi wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020 5:14pm From 2017 draft we have:

Coffield(6)
Clark (7)
Higgins (17)
Clavarino (35)
Paton (46)

On that basis alone, I'm backing in big Oscar to make it.
2017 will be looked back on very fondly in the years to come. It was the year the club really turned the corner. Coff and Clark are our Buddy/Roughead equivalent. Paton is a lock and could end up the leagues premier small lockdown defender and now the xfactor of Higgins. I think it was Dermie I heard say once "if a club gets two long term players out of a draft, they've done very well". We now have 4 from 17 draft and 3 from the previous year. Long, Battle, RoMo (still can't believe we got him and Wilkie as rookies)

Very good work from all involved.
Also traded in Steele along with drafting Roma & co, and the same year did the deal with Hawks to enable us to draft Clark in 2017. Good work indeed, perhaps Trout & team weren't as bad as some forumites make out.
Are you related to Elshaug? Why was he the first to be moved on by Lethers? The club should sue him and Pelchen for negligence.
Not saying Elshaug was a great recruiter, but that recruiting/trading under his tenure was not as bad as some make out. I think some are blinded by the McCartin/Goddard decisions, in which injury played a part, and the broadbrush is then applied to his tenure. Had some other misses, and some hits, as with all teams, but on the whole, the recruiting/trading at the time was certainly not the worst in the league, in fact about mid range. Check out the draft guru site, do some comparisons yourself using other teams, all the required details are there. Or just blindly follow the other sheep to the corner of the paddock.

Elshaugh, resigned in June 2018, yet Lethers asked him to stay on until the end of the year. If he was that bad, why ask him stay on?

I agree we have much improved in recruiting/drafting, more professional, but still there are misses - Parker, Young, Hind all gone already. Hanners? Jury still out. Hill? Cost a lot, and if he doesn't improve next year, the pressure will be on.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 7:41pm Rumours were circulating for months about another Tiger defecting to Moorabbin. Maybe it was Higgins all along. Perhaps the Tiges already knew.
Don't expect us to coax Rance out of retirement.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

baa ram ewe bas ram ewe
to your creed be true

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ace
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 7:59pm
The Billings Method wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 6:14pm :roll:
takeaway wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 7:27am
stkfc1 wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020 9:26pm
fugazi wrote: Thu 12 Nov 2020 5:14pm From 2017 draft we have:

Coffield(6)
Clark (7)
Higgins (17)
Clavarino (35)
Paton (46)

On that basis alone, I'm backing in big Oscar to make it.
2017 will be looked back on very fondly in the years to come. It was the year the club really turned the corner. Coff and Clark are our Buddy/Roughead equivalent. Paton is a lock and could end up the leagues premier small lockdown defender and now the xfactor of Higgins. I think it was Dermie I heard say once "if a club gets two long term players out of a draft, they've done very well". We now have 4 from 17 draft and 3 from the previous year. Long, Battle, RoMo (still can't believe we got him and Wilkie as rookies)

Very good work from all involved.
Also traded in Steele along with drafting Roma & co, and the same year did the deal with Hawks to enable us to draft Clark in 2017. Good work indeed, perhaps Trout & team weren't as bad as some forumites make out.
Are you related to Elshaug? Why was he the first to be moved on by Lethers? The club should sue him and Pelchen for negligence.
Not saying Elshaug was a great recruiter, but that recruiting/trading under his tenure was not as bad as some make out. I think some are blinded by the McCartin/Goddard decisions, in which injury played a part, and the broadbrush is then applied to his tenure. Had some other misses, and some hits, as with all teams, but on the whole, the recruiting/trading at the time was certainly not the worst in the league, in fact about mid range. Check out the draft guru site, do some comparisons yourself using other teams, all the required details are there. Or just blindly follow the other sheep to the corner of the paddock.

Elshaugh, resigned in June 2018, yet Lethers asked him to stay on until the end of the year. If he was that bad, why ask him stay on?

I agree we have much improved in recruiting/drafting, more professional, but still there are misses - Parker, Young, Hind all gone already. Hanners? Jury still out. Hill? Cost a lot, and if he doesn't improve next year, the pressure will be on.
Just because someone is bad at their job does not mean that it wise to sack them immediately.
You need to ensure you have a better replacement and a transitional handover of knowledge.
Elshaugh headed up a network of talent spotters, he couldn't be in many places at once.
That network had to be transitioned as well.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
The Billings Method
Club Player

The period from 2009-2014 speaks for itself. Bookended by the Lovett fiasco and ended with coming up almost empty handed from a bonanza of top 25 picks between 2011 and 2014, which should have kick started our rebuild. What other clubs did shouldn't interest us.

What is left over from the period I just mentioned? Jack Billings in terms of true quality. Ross a solid citizen, but not A grade. Acres, Newnes, Goddard, Lee, Hickey, Wright, Wight, McCartin all gone. Webster, McKenzie, Dunstan and Roberton 2 games between them this year. Lonie on the trade table every year.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, Pelchen traded out Goddard, McEvoy, Dal Santo, Stanley, Lynch, Cripps and Hutchings. What a genius!

That's not bad. That's a disgrace. Thank goodness Libba, Gags and Lethers have cleaned up that mess so quickly. It could've derailed us for a decade.

I know Pelchen has to take the lion's share of the blame, but Trout was seriously out of his depth. He wasn't asked to stay on. He was told they'd "try and find something for him." He read the tea leaves and left for the drug cheats. Good riddance, hopefully he works his magic in company with Didoro.

As for Pelchen, as predicted in 2014 by Derm, he's never worked at an AFL club again. Says it all really. I'm just glad they're gone. I believe John Peake is back at Geelong. Not our finest period of recruiting to say the least.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 11:03pm The period from 2009-2014 speaks for itself. Bookended by the Lovett fiasco and ended with coming up almost empty handed from a bonanza of top 25 picks between 2011 and 2014, which should have kick started our rebuild. What other clubs did shouldn't interest us.

What is left over from the period I just mentioned? Jack Billings in terms of true quality. Ross a solid citizen, but not A grade. Acres, Newnes, Goddard, Lee, Hickey, Wright, Wight, McCartin all gone. Webster, McKenzie, Dunstan and Roberton 2 games between them this year. Lonie on the trade table every year.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, Pelchen traded out Goddard, McEvoy, Dal Santo, Stanley, Lynch, Cripps and Hutchings. What a genius!

That's not bad. That's a disgrace. Thank goodness Libba, Gags and Lethers have cleaned up that mess so quickly. It could've derailed us for a decade.

I know Pelchen has to take the lion's share of the blame, but Trout was seriously out of his depth. He wasn't asked to stay on. He was told they'd "try and find something for him." He read the tea leaves and left for the drug cheats. Good riddance, hopefully he works his magic in company with Didoro.

As for Pelchen, as predicted in 2014 by Derm, he's never worked at an AFL club again. Says it all really. I'm just glad they're gone. I believe John Peake is back at Geelong. Not our finest period of recruiting to say the least.
Excellent summary TBM. Combine that with some bland coaching (kindest descriptor I could find) & the likes of Nettlefold in the War Room and it's surprising we only had the opportunity to butcher one #1 draft pick.

We really have come a long way in a short time from a rock & a hard place. Credit to all concerned, including players like Ross, Billings, Webster, Roberton, Dunstan, Geary for holding their heads up & playing for the jumper.

Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 11:03pm The period from 2009-2014 speaks for itself. Bookended by the Lovett fiasco and ended with coming up almost empty handed from a bonanza of top 25 picks between 2011 and 2014, which should have kick started our rebuild. What other clubs did shouldn't interest us.

Hard to read about an era of hype and little else, but what a contrast - we are always hopeful yet it does look as though we have some capable of steering us all to the last game of the year, and building team capable of WINNING.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 8:15pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 7:41pm Rumours were circulating for months about another Tiger defecting to Moorabbin. Maybe it was Higgins all along. Perhaps the Tiges already knew.
I'd be happy to convert to Sing Song if that's what it will take.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Goddard was our Treloar, Dal Santo our Phillips.
Massive salary dumps to stay within the cap.
Problem created by Pelchen's predecessor (who will remain nameless).
At least we got compensation picks only to be squandered.

But in our salary dump, the coach did not urinate on the outgoing players like Phuckley.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020 9:29am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 14 Nov 2020 8:15pm
I'd be happy to convert to Sing Song if that's what it will take.
Sing Song would be the least of the problems.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Welcome aboard young man & being a Saint supporter before being drafted makes it even sweeter. I wish you all the best & look forward to seeing you own that Saints jumper :D