James Frawley a Saint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: James Frawley a Saint

Would he be better than having kept Nathan Brown?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 11:28am Would he be better than having kept Nathan Brown?
My feeling is pbly not...
I think Brown was more consistent/reliable but Frawley promises to be more versatile.

Gut feeling however is that Brown was ready to go and wasn’t looking back

Harves Man
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 8:45am
vacuous space wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 8:45pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 8:22pm If Frawley plays then our season has not gone to plan.
Bookmarking this for when he gets his premiership medal.
I really hope you get to shove that in my face vacuous, I really do.
Hey, right-on!

Harves Man
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 9:49am
diddley wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:27pm I think we were left exposed when Carlisle wasn’t there in the Semi Final. I’m happy to have Frawley cover as insurance. Also comes in at a great trade price. Free! My favourite way to grab a player.
I think it’s really that simple

He starts behind Carlisle and Howard and a dare say that in the right circumstances that Clavarino will play more games (if we are indeed serious about him).
But we were found absolutely lacking in the SF without Carlisle and the decision regarding Brown’s retirement killed us because he would have played for sure.

I would imagine the plan is for him to maintain a standard of fitness and play the majority of the season at Sandy, and do about 80% of the program to keep fit and fresh should he be needed in an emergency

He’s quite literally plan C
Yes, could not agree more. Don't see any harm committed here, only a great back-up plan, or perhaps a kind of romantic surprise gift.

Stian
Club Player

Harves Man wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 12:51pm
diddley wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:27pm I think we were left exposed when Carlisle wasn’t there in the Semi Final. I’m happy to have Frawley cover as insurance. Also comes in at a great trade price. Free! My favourite way to grab a player.

He starts behind Carlisle and Howard and a dare say that in the right circumstances that Clavarino will play more games (if we are indeed serious about him).
But we were found absolutely lacking in the SF without Carlisle and the decision regarding Brown’s retirement killed us because he would have played for sure.

I would imagine the plan is for him to maintain a standard of fitness and play the majority of the season at Sandy, and do about 80% of the program to keep fit and fresh should he be needed in an emergency

Yes, could not agree more. Don't see any harm committed here, only a great back-up plan, or perhaps a kind of romantic surprise gift.
OR - a very clever and cheap way to get an extra assistant coach.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not at all concerned that the club is picking up players in twilight of their careers like James Frawley, Nathan Brown after all was good value, and Frawley certainly brings valuable experience into the team's defence both on and off field, all at minimum cost. Am quite sure that former team mate Jarryd Roughead would have been keen to bring him in.

Fact is that apart from Jake Carlisle St Kilda's back 6 that played regularly this year are quite young and relatively inexperienced but have shown plenty to indicate that they will play a key role in getting the team into contention for another crack at the premiership!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Further to that Sanctorum...
Frawley replaces Brown
McKernan replaces Abbott

Doesn’t change the profile a lot

About the only older player on the list on a long contract that could pose a problem is pbly Hannebery if he remains injured and even there... it has been reported that his contract was heavily front ended

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 8:22pm If Frawley plays then our season has not gone to plan. Insurance at best. Best 22 at worst!
Why?

Being insurance could be the plan. ie injury or suspension to other players.

Or it could also be the plan to play him occasionally to rest Carlisle or Howard.

Or it could also be the plan to say play him against WCE if we want three genuine big backs in that game.

Frawley would have been handy this year when Carlisle pulled out of our second finals game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 3:27pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 8:22pm If Frawley plays then our season has not gone to plan. Insurance at best. Best 22 at worst!
Why?

Or it could also be the plan to play him occasionally to rest Carlisle or Howard.

Or it could also be the plan to say play him against WCE if we want three genuine big backs in that game.

Frawley would have been handy this year when Carlisle pulled out of our second finals game.
Our best back six from 2020 is the best back six we have had for some time. The results, stats and their age is what made their season together so impressive.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Long

I'll happily back that six with two hard working ruckmen and a two way running midfield against WCE, Geelong & Richmond.

As I said, Frawley is only insurance. If he's playing then something has gone wrong.

Junior
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 4:06pm [quote=saintsRrising post_id=<a href="tel:1883721">1883721</a> time=<a href="tel:1606451267">1606451267</a> user_id=192]
[quote="Ghost Like" post_id=<a href="tel:1883658">1883658</a> time=<a href="tel:1606382561">1606382561</a> user_id=11806]
If Frawley plays then our season has not gone to plan. Insurance at best. Best 22 at worst!
Why?

[/quote]

Our best back six from 2020 is the best back six we have had for some time. The results, stats and their age is what made their season together so impressive.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Long

I'll happily back that six with two hard working ruckmen and a two way running midfield against WCE, Geelong & Richmond.

As I said, Frawley is only insurance. If he's playing then something has gone wrong.
[/quote]

Jake is quite possibly the laziest kick I have been seen. Kicks of one step way to often and kicks floaters as a result and gets his teammates smashed.

Frawley might be cover but Jake would want to be on his game or he will be replaced.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 5:08pm
Frawley might be cover but Jake would want to be on his game or he will be replaced.
Which could also be the plan. To keep Carlisle o his toes and at his best.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 4:06pm
Why?

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Long

You did not read what I wrote then.

Who was disputing what our best back 6 is? That is not most likely what Frawley has been picked, not McKernan.

Resting a player occasionally is not something going wrong, but is part of player management. We already know that Carlisle has back issues.

You cannot win a flag with 22 just players.

And no club has a list of only A and B Grade players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS: Frawley is also a very experienced back and can help to develop our predominately very young backline.

Stian
Club Player

For the past couple of seasons we have heard that Jake's contract has included a performance trigger of "he must play X number of games to get a contract for next year". How common is it to have that sort of clause in a player's contract? Does that really mean that Jake has some sort of disinterest, lethargy or just can't be bothered; that he needs that sort of axe hanging over his head to make him perform???

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Futures investment in Connolly and Clavarino, flexibility in Coffield, Wilkie and Battle with Robbo and Joyce us under-studies, aggression and attack from Long and Webster, frontline big boy status from Carlisle and Howard and Paton and Geary as shut down smalls.
Getting Chips as a mentor/insurance policy is just fantastic.

stkfc1
Club Player

Stian wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 1:50pm
Harves Man wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 12:51pm

OR - a very clever and cheap way to get an extra assistant coach.
Yep. That's my thinking on this. We just picked up a back line assistant coach without having to impact our cap and also gave ourselves a little insurance at the same time. We may be about to witness out best period of our clubs history because we have some very smart operators at our club right now.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Absolutely a goddern deal of the century!

Not only a player in a pinch, but a leader, mentor and proven kpp to train our boys!

Player + coach for the price of a sanger!!!

We win

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 5:52pm
Why?

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Long

Who was disputing what our best back 6 is? That is not most likely what Frawley has been picked, not McKernan.

Resting a player occasionally is not something going wrong, but is part of player management. We already know that Carlisle has back issues.

I did read what you wrote, with all due respect you must have missed the part I said insurance at best. You really have construed or misconstrued what I wrote sRr. I never said you can win a flag with only 22. Nor did I say resting a player is something going wrong. Did I say anyone was disputing our best 22?

Frawley costs bugger all. Not bad for insurance because insurance worth having is not normally cheap.

damienc
Club Player

Re: Frawley a Saint

freely wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 4:03pm We're fast becoming the last chance saloon.
Hardly.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep, letting Brown go was a disgrace.

He shouldn’t have been allowed to go without penalty. Rubbish. Under the cover of Corona-hub clouds smoke screen no doubt.

But getting Chips is a good result for us (unless I re-read the poster on here who reminded us he was very ordinary this year, because he won’t get better)

Yes . Mr Jake thee Snake better be ‘start sh&ttin (Ratts) Tiffany cuff links’ as the saying goes in Full Metal Jacket...

I do worry about the performance contract stuff that Carlisle was on and selection policy toward the end of ‘19 for instance, , but I guess that’s another story...

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 8:01pm
saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 5:52pm
Why?

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Long

I did read what you wrote, with all due respect you must have missed the part I said insurance at best. You really have construed or misconstrued what I wrote sRr. I never said you can win a flag with only 22. Nor did I say resting a player is something going wrong. Did I say anyone was disputing our best 22?

Frawley costs bugger all. Not bad for insurance because insurance worth having is not normally cheap.

If you read what I wrote, then you should appreciate that there are more than just insurance benefits.

If he for example plays to allow another player to be managed, then that is not just insurance. It is a planned strategy. It is a clear benefit.

etc.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Frawley family would be so happy seeing him in Saints colours. James will always be thinking about his uncle every time he puts on that Saints jumper.

I have a feeling that Chipper will push himself and his team mates all the way to the pointy end in 2021. Can you imagine a ‘Frawley’ up on the dias receiving a premiership medal? We’ll all be a mess..Go Saints

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We lost four matches by one goal or less last season, in a shortened season of only seventeen games.
What we lacked at times was experience in tight ones and leadership.
Just look at what Hannebury brought us in the Elimination Final - a bit of composure. In the dying last couple of minutes in at least three of those four narrow losses instead of looking for an option we blazed away and kicked towards the boundary and the ball sailed out on the full.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 3:12pm The Frawley family would be so happy seeing him in Saints colours. James will always be thinking about his uncle every time he puts on that Saints jumper.

I have a feeling that Chipper will push himself and his team mates all the way to the pointy end in 2021. Can you imagine a ‘Frawley’ up on the dias receiving a premiership medal? We’ll all be a mess..Go Saints
He said his grandmother burst into tears of hippieness when he told her he would be playing for St Kilda.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 6:46pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 3:12pm The Frawley family would be so happy seeing him in Saints colours. James will always be thinking about his uncle every time he puts on that Saints jumper.

He said his grandmother burst into tears of hippieness when he told her he would be playing for St Kilda.
Yes, its quite possible Grandma Spud was a hippie I suppose. At 75 she would have been 18 in 1962, which would make her a beatnik. Perhaps, up in the bush around Ballarat there was a thriving coffee house jazz pot-smoking beat scene that we never knew about?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!