The New List

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The New List

Saints58 wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 5:16pm Did chips take a late draft pick gee this is confusing, if they elevate Willkie does that mean we have 3 picks then use 2 and what of the other one is that for another they have identified who is delisted.
And can they or will they relist parker, or savage, Marsh and if so would they be on the list or rookies. So many questions.
I would like your opinion please you guys are all very knowledgeable and helpful.
Yes St Kilda had 5 vacancies on the senior list that could have been used at the draft.
Bringing in Frawley as a delisted free agent took one of those vacancies.
Upgrading Wilkie (which must be done at the end of next season) would take one of those vacancies but create a Rookie A vacancy.
There is no advantage to the club or Wilkie to upgrade him yet.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 2:58pm UPDATED for inclusion of players selected in the senior draft 2020

Preceding numbers are NOT player jumper numbers they are for counting purposes only
Numbers in the 2000s are the contract expiry years.
Blanks are not contracted yet.
List numbers assumed Senior 38, Rookie A 4, and Rookie B 2
Minimum draft picks 1

Senior List
1 Matthew (McLeod-) Allison - 2022
2 Jack Billings - 2021
3 Josh Battle - 2022
4 Dan Butler - 2021
5 Ryan Byrnes - 2021
6 Jack Bytel - 2022
7 Jake Carlisle - 2021
8 Hunter Clark - 2021
9 Nick Coffield - 2021
10 Leo Connolly - 2021
11 Brad Crouch - 2024 +1
12 Luke Dunstan - 2021
13 James Frawley - 2021
14 Jarryn Geary - 2021
15 Jade Gresham - 2023
16 Dan Hannebery - 2023
17 Jack Higgins - 2023
18 Tom Highmore - 2022
19 Brad Hill - 2024
20 Dougal Howard -2024
21 Zak Jones - 2021
22 Dean Kent - 2021
23 Max King - 2022
24 Ben Long - 2022
25 Jack Lonie - 2021
26 Daniel McKenzie - 2022
27 Shaun McKernan - 2021
28 Rowan Marshall - 2022
29 Tim Membrey - 2021
30 Ben Paton - 2022
31 Dylan Roberton - 2021
32 Sebastian Ross - 2021
33 Paddy Ryder - 2021
34 Jack Sinclair - 2021
35 Jack Steele - 2022
36 Jimmy Webster - 2022

Rookie A
1 Callum Wilkie - 2021 (last year allowed as a rookie)
2 Oscar Clavarino - 2021 (first of 3 years allowed as a rookie)
3 Darragh Joyce - 2021 (first of 3 years allowed as a rookie)
4 ----------
5 ----------
6 ----------

Rookie B
1 Sam Alabakis - 2021 (last year allowed as a rookie)
2 ----------

4 rookie picks have been activated, one being a rookie B only
Last edited by ace on Sat 12 Dec 2020 5:24pm, edited 5 times in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I can not understand why only two draft picks were taken.
it does not make sense to have delisted Shane Savage and Johnathan Marsh unless they were planning to take more.

diddley
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 11:50pm I can not understand why only two draft picks were taken.
it does not make sense to have delisted Shane Savage and Johnathan Marsh unless they were planning to take more.
I read something recently that Gags wanted to go into the season with 1 list spot to grab someone mid year.
I think it is a good year to do this, as we can swoop on someone who developed this year that we didn’t get to see.

ace
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 6:40am
ace wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 11:50pm I can not understand why only two draft picks were taken.
I read something recently that Gags wanted to go into the season with 1 list spot to grab someone mid year.
I think it is a good year to do this, as we can swoop on someone who developed this year that we didn’t get to see.
My understanding is that the mid year picks are for rookies.

AFL to have one mid-season draft in 2021
The mid-season rookie draft will remain in similar format to 2019 after the AFL consulted clubs and the AFL Players Association about the feasibility of running three in 2021.

The proposal would have meant one draft per month held after rounds four, eight and 12 next year.

The idea had received cautious support from clubs in a survey the AFL conducts at the end of each season, with more than half the teams wanting the AFL to put the idea on the table and explore it further.
But with the uncertainty surrounding the starting times of state league competitions around the country and the NAB League, which will be an under-19s competition in 2021, starting later than it has in previous years, industry sources said there was a recognition that players would have different levels of exposure depending on the competition they played in.

There have also been concerns raised among player managers about plucking players out of state league competitions more than once a season on short-term deals, while the WAFL and the SANFL remain wary of the concept because of the potential impact on their competition when players join AFL clubs midway through the year.

The decision means clubs will still have next week's national draft, the pre-season and rookie drafts, the pre-season supplemental selection period and the mid-season rookie draft available as opportunities to add players to their lists between now and the middle of the season.

The 2021 mid-season draft has been tentatively scheduled for June 2 next year while the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) will run from January 6 until March 9.

In the week before Christmas clubs can nominate a maximum of six players being considered for the SSP to train with them from January 6 when club's senior players return.

The mid-season draft was not held in 2020 due to COVID-19 but yielded the game's biggest story in 2019. Richmond drafted Marlion Pickett in the middle of that year and he made his debut in the grand final against Greater Western Sydney.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 56jjx.html
Last edited by ace on Thu 10 Dec 2020 8:11am, edited 3 times in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 7:36am
Perhaps the decision was purely financial. Maybe we are maintaining 95% of the cap and balancing that with development.
While Savage was a skilled veteran, you could argue that the 2 picks last night replace whatever Marsh had to offer and Roberton and Geary kept in reserve this year supplement the experience Savage brought to the best 25, both being better defensively.
Hopefully there is also an expectation that Byrne and Connelly, both great kicks and quite mobile, deserve a chance to be developed in Savage's place or Billings and Jones could be used in the defensive sweeper role. I'm not so baffled by it.
If you could develop a player who could play Savages role and contribute to the midfield as well, why wouldn't you.
Maybe we have one more big, 200 - 208cm fish in our sights and we need 105% cap to be confident of luring him.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I remember Gags saying they were keeping a spot free for a supplemental selection, they must be inviting players to train with the club over summer.

I hope my above statement is correct because the Saints didn't take anyone in the Pre Season draft and Passed on the Rookie draft.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 8:07am
Perhaps the decision was purely financial. Maybe we are maintaining 95% of the cap and balancing that with development.
While Savage was a skilled veteran, you could argue that the 2 picks last night replace whatever Marsh had to offer and Roberton and Geary kept in reserve this year supplement the experience Savage brought to the best 25, both being better defensively.
Hopefully there is also an expectation that Byrne and Connelly, both great kicks and quite mobile, deserve a chance to be developed in Savage's place or Billings and Jones could be used in the defensive sweeper role. I'm not so baffled by it.
If you could develop a player who could play Savages role and contribute to the midfield as well, why wouldn't you.
Maybe we have one more big, 200 - 208cm fish in our sights and we need 105% cap to be confident of luring him.
certainly dont want to revisit the argument again
but you simply can not compare Roberton VS Savage readiness to play at AFL level as a backup
and further to Ace's concerns Im thinking it is now pretty obvious that the club does not want to develop within - its moneyball all the way

Seeya
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Any chance of giving the invisible (yellow) ink a miss please ACE?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

did think about salary being an issue - if it is ...
Going forward ( although I would argue the need has been there the last two seasons)
as you stated above we clearly need another big body 200cm fullback - Carlisle gone will save how much?
many think we can just sit back and King will fall into our laps - personally I think it will take some prying away from GC
The Suns will play hard ball and he must be on very good money for his age - so start thinking really big coin to get him down south
Where does that leave our cap - does it mean the end to getting that REALLY big midfielder "fish" (again)

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 4:40pm
certainly dont want to revisit the argument again
but you simply can not compare Roberton VS Savage readiness to play at AFL level as a backup
and further to Ace's concerns Im thinking it is now pretty obvious that the club does not want to develop within - its moneyball all the way
Moneyball for sure, unfortunately that cost a pretty one dimensional Savage his spot. Billings and Jones and possibly Sinclair all multidimensional and ahead of Savage, then Geary, then you could say Savage and then Robbo, main difference being Dylan has a contract, ready or not. Keep Savage as a 4th string........nah.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 6:10pm

Going forward ( although I would argue the need has been there the last two seasons)
as you stated above we clearly need another big body 200cm fullback - Carlisle gone will save how much?
many think we can just sit back and King will fall into our laps - personally I think it will take some prying away from GC
The Suns will play hard ball and he must be on very good money for his age - so start thinking really big coin to get him down south
Where does that leave our cap - does it mean the end to getting that REALLY big midfielder "fish" (again)
I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of Carlisle and Howard getting the job done with Wilkie as the third tall and Frawley, Clavarino and Highmore as backups for 1 to 2 years. Clav now has 3 more years at bargain basement rookie rates. Highmore clearly plays taller than 193 and seems to be able to read the play and stand his ground in a pack. He is also mobile.
I'm more interested in Gawn and less so McEvoy, if he has anything left in his legs next year. Looks like we are gambling on Alabakis but it would be a remarkable turnaround if he was ready next year.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 6:41pm

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of Carlisle and Howard getting the job done with Wilkie as the third tall and Frawley, Clavarino and Highmore as backups for 1 to 2 years. Clav now has 3 more years at bargain basement rookie rates. Highmore clearly plays taller than 193 and seems to be able to read the play and stand his ground in a pack. He is also mobile.
I'm more interested in Gawn and less so McEvoy, if he has anything left in his legs next year. Looks like we are gambling on Alabakis but it would be a remarkable turnaround if he was ready next year.
I've been reliably informed that the reason we did not go for Max Heath is because of the faith that we have in big boi Alabakis. He has exceeded all expectations as far as hard work on the track is concerned and is slowly building his tank to AFL levels. By the time round 1 next year comes along he will be ready to go if either Ryder or Marshall get injured. Look out if he marks it within 60 meters of goal. Not sure if he will kick it accurately but he will make the distance and then some (post high).

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 8:19pm

I've been reliably informed
This is where I stopped reading :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 10:28pm

Ha ha. Gold

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Clav has 1 r year. Not 3. He got rookie on a 1 year contract same with Joyce.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 4:40pm Clav has 1 r year. Not 3. He got rookie on a 1 year contract same with Joyce.
Yes, Clavarino & Joyce have both got one year contracts 2021 as I indicated.
But should the club choose to keep them after that they can keep them on the rookie list for a further 2 years before being forced to promote them.
The club will be forced to promote Wilkie at the end of 2021 season.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 4:40pm

Clav has 1 r year. Not 3. He got rookie on a 1 year contract same with Joyce.
That's true but easily extended and no dougt cheaply.

Harves Man
Club Player

AFL to have one mid-season draft in 2021
The mid-season rookie draft will remain in similar format to 2019 after the AFL consulted clubs and the AFL Players Association about the feasibility of running three in 2021.

The proposal would have meant one draft per month held after rounds four, eight and 12 next year.

The idea had received cautious support from clubs in a survey the AFL conducts at the end of each season, with more than half the teams wanting the AFL to put the idea on the table and explore it further.
But with the uncertainty surrounding the starting times of state league competitions around the country and the NAB League, which will be an under-19s competition in 2021, starting later than it has in previous years, industry sources said there was a recognition that players would have different levels of exposure depending on the competition they played in.

There have also been concerns raised among player managers about plucking players out of state league competitions more than once a season on short-term deals, while the WAFL and the SANFL remain wary of the concept because of the potential impact on their competition when players join AFL clubs midway through the year.

The decision means clubs will still have next week's national draft, the pre-season and rookie drafts, the pre-season supplemental selection period and the mid-season rookie draft available as opportunities to add players to their lists between now and the middle of the season.

The 2021 mid-season draft has been tentatively scheduled for June 2 next year while the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) will run from January 6 until March 9.

In the week before Christmas clubs can nominate a maximum of six players being considered for the SSP to train with them from January 6 when club's senior players return.

The mid-season draft was not held in 2020 due to COVID-19 but yielded the game's biggest story in 2019. Richmond drafted Marlion Pickett in the middle of that year and he made his debut in the grand final against Greater Western Sydney.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 56jjx.html
Hi Ace, not being nit-picky - it is not my way. However, it is really hard to read your text that is written in yellow - some of it is impossible, at least from the P.C. screen I am reading thru.

Yellow is the most common colour to feature in printing mistakes, as it is the most hard to see in print faults, in the printing industry and any printer will tell you the same (or any printing QC/QA person).

All the Best.

The Billings Method
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 11:29pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 10:28pm

Ha ha. Gold

That post was............excellent, Mr. Burns.😄😄😄

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.