Sydney Stack - current devil, future saint?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Billings Method
Club Player

Sydney Stack - current devil, future saint?

I was just doing some research on the potentially tragic career of the Uber talented Sydney Stack. His problems go all the way back to early childhood, as they always tend to in cases like this. He endured as many as 13 changes of home before the age of 17. No wonder he is angry, impulsive and unsettled.

The lad can play. We all know that. I hear the tigers are close to letting him go. What a shame for the lad and the game. His junior record, despite all his trevails, was outstanding. His colts and WAFL career marked him as a star of the future.

The mock drafts, Fox Sports and general media had him going between picks 25 and 58. A certainty to be drafted. One can't help speculating his behavioural history was behind him being ignored by all clubs, even in the rookie draft. Richmond finally took the chance and he moved in with Mr. and Mrs. Hardwick, was assigned a special trainer and made rapid progress.

That faith seemed justified. 26 AFL games showcased his undoubted talent, most annoyingly against us (typical!).

If the tiggers let him go, would we be interested? Is he another Marlion Pickett? Would our club now be stable and professional enough to curb his bad habits and develop his talent, fully?

Roughead, Ratten, Alan Murray, Tony Brown and a phalanx of aboriginal mentors in Ryder, Long, and Gresham would provide the right support.

In top form, he would be ideal. An onballer who is a dangerous target up forward. He has also played as an effective dasher off half back. Quick, great overhead and around the goals, and a beautiful kick.

If he becomes available, yes or no? Thoughts?

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sydney Stack - current devil, future saint?

Personally I’m always keen for a low cost, potential high reward type of risk as long as you don’t have too many of them at the go at one time.

Not particularly familiar with this case but a few things stand out - based on what you’ve posted above, I would point that with that upbringing and that lack of stability during his formative years juxtapose with the clear effort and determination he has put into his football career (because it sounds like working hard isn’t the issue)...

it suggests that he has every opportunity to flourish in the right environment with the right supports. It would be interesting to know more about his specific issues...
Has the lack of a steady paternal father figure made him more anti-authority... is it less about being warm/fuzzy and nurturing and more about figuring out what motivates him and challenging him to work hard for the reward that he wants. Lot of people thrive on that type of approach

Is it more a case of he mirrors the behaviours of those around him and has less tolerance for double standards afforded to more established players

I’d be very confident whatever the issue is that absolutely he and his club could turn it around with the right approach... I say back yourself and go for it

The Billings Method
Club Player

The other factor is we're stealing Richmond's list, one player at a time!😂 He could be a bargain. Rather that look at the negatives, I'd prefer to focus on the fact that despite all the disadvantages in his early life, he made it to the elite level. Interesting times ahead.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Subcultures within the footy culture and subcultures out ‘there’ as well, it’s a real roll of the dice.

How do you reconcile all the hypocrisy and fakeness of modern public life if there is a readymade fraternity of ‘cool, bad guys’ out there willing to take you ‘under their wing’?

I remember poster saying cousins was screwed because no matter what he said in interviews, even if he believed it, he was still associating with some guys he looked up to, but who had others plans.

If Stack wears his one percent ring to show his allegiances or his desire to show everyone he is a bad ass, you gotta figure, with all the troubles already, he is gonna need a role model who is bad ass but reformed. Jake the snake Carlisle?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Not familiar at all with Sydney or his mob. But I have spent years working within Indigenous organisations, using sport and education to facilitate change in the lives of young Indigenous people.
It works when they are motivated to participate and challenged to succeed in these environments and it seems apparent that Sydney, has discovered a willingness in himself to succeed and, has been challenged in a number of progressively staged environments.
However, given his recent behaviour, it is also apparent that his success highlights the stigma attached to his cultural or social belonging, which in my experience, has a debilitating effect when young people are face to face with the shame and disgust associated with their upbringing or social heritage.
Like I said, I know nothing of Sydney other than the high and lows in his life that have played out in the media.
But personally, I would look for a project player somewhere else.
Football clubs are more often than not poor environments for the transformation of challenging behaviours. St.Kilda FC should know this as well as any other club and stigma has haunted us for most of our existence.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

His problems go all the way back to early childhood, as they always tend to ...
gabor mate is all over this ‘field’

stress , addiction, unenlightened parenting ,

it ALL comes from the gestation period /early childhood

of course it does
we’ve each lived it

this is two hours worth
and i’d be very surprised
if anyone with a genuine interest in ‘healing’
listens only the once

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

High risk low upside.

Had a good (not great) first half of 2019 then fell away over rated imo and has not got close to that form again, could come good (ability wise) but it's a far shot and then throw in the I am currently sitting gaol factor and no thanks but wish him luck, also maybe the high profile and scrutinised environment of a AFL club is maybe not the best place for someone struggling with any sort of issues to be.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Stay away!

Josh Battle
Club Player

He ticks a lot moe boxes than most other young players. What are we scared of?

Losing money...no just get the right lawyers to draft the right contract so he's easily cut if he stuffs up

Losing sponsors. I'm sure they are well aware that clubs take risks on badboys if they're talented

Losing the members or reductions in membership numbers...everyone knows his past and his reputation for impulsive behaviour

Or is it that we lack the confidence in our organisation being able to manage him and monitor him... as well as...managing the fallout if it turns to shyte.

I agree with skeptic. If he's cheap and available give him a go. But don't let him waltz in. Play him in the reserves and give him tough love for a while

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The guy is a head case and in my opinion will not play another AFL game. Definitely not someone we need at the club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 12:13pm The guy is a head case and in my opinion will not play another AFL game. Definitely not someone we need at the club.
Not sure how you can write that when you don't know him. Maybe with the right mentor and structure he might be good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Why would actively seek out a bag of trouble? We have a harmonious club. No need to take unnecessary risks on troublesome players. These type of players are just a massive distraction, and chew up good people's time. An absolute NO from me.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 4:03pm Why would actively seek out a bag of trouble? We have a harmonious club. No need to take unnecessary risks on troublesome players. These type of players are just a massive distraction, and chew up good people's time. An absolute NO from me.
Dustin Martin was a bag of trouble.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Richmond took on Ben Cousins, too.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Success and Winning

Vs

Upholding values

..the old story.

"A story..as old as time."
(Ross Hannaford, Blind Date, Daddy Cool)

It's a roll o' the dice of course...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/789 ... ir-careers

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is not with it

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 4:11pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 4:03pm Why would actively seek out a bag of trouble? We have a harmonious club. No need to take unnecessary risks on troublesome players. These type of players are just a massive distraction, and chew up good people's time. An absolute NO from me.
Dustin Martin was a bag of trouble.
Yes, Dusty was a menace. He stuck his fingers up at some Collingwood fans, drove while suspended, threatened some chick with some chops sticks, and slept through training after a few drinks and some sleeping pills. Dusty is just a d**khead with a bad haircut.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dusty was also an obvious gun

So worth preserving with, get him right you probably have a champion.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 9:40pm Dusty was also an obvious gun

So worth preserving with, get him right you probably have a champion.
Tongue in cheek BM. Potentially, Dusty might have been motivated to become a serious criminal. He has the pedigree and connections. His list of indiscretions are rather mild. But they sell papers. Bigger crooks have headed the AFL commission.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Hardprick needs to wrap his arms around stacky and teach him the real tiger culture

In red white and black from 73
oboe
Club Player

No need for another small forward - simple as that.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Thu 07 Jan 2021 9:55pm
His problems go all the way back to early childhood, as they always tend to ...
gabor mate is all over this ‘field’

stress , addiction, unenlightened parenting ,

it ALL comes from the gestation period /early childhood

of course it does
we’ve each lived it

this is two hours worth
and i’d be very surprised
if anyone with a genuine interest in ‘healing’
listens only the once

Gabor Mate is a legend

But Sydney Stack is a d**khead.

The year he was drafted, a mate of mine was sitting in a bar and a few Richmond blokes came in. Out of nowhere one of them starts having a crack at this mate of mine...wanting to fight him etc....guess who.

When he told me, I didn't recognize his name or even know who he was....well we know now

Nee!
The Billings Method
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 11:08pm Hardprick needs to wrap his arms around stacky and teach him the real tiger culture
And that's exactly how Dimma's current problems started.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So who is the 3rd coach splitting from his wife?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but who were the Tigers implicated in the 'midnight falafel' or 'kebab' incident? Or were they Colliingwood players?