Inject any past Saint into the current top 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Harves Man
Club Player

Re: Inject any past Saint into the current top 22

saynta wrote: Sat 09 Jan 2021 2:39pm
Harves Man wrote: Sat 09 Jan 2021 4:41am
happy feet wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 5:17pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 12:15pm Lenny Hayes every day!
Agree 100%. I was with a bunch of Pie supporters a couple of years ago and I posed the question ...if you could have 1 St Kilda player who would it be? Lenny Hayes was the unanimous choice. Smart, talented, tough as nails and a great leader.
Totally agree! Although I still think that Nicky Winmar or Robert Harvey could slot into any team, in any era and immediately make a big difference.
The doc would be handy at CHF in today's team.
Yes, Saynta - that's my understanding, based on what other people who have seen him play, say. Of course, when you compare him, height wise, to say, Buckets (or even Rooie, for that matter), he would look a bit short for CHF, but, again, I can only go by what other observers say, as I never saw him play.

I remember when he first came off the boat from Tassie, to coach us at Moorabbin there was an an article in the 1980's, which said how skillful he was. A reporter , who had seen him play, said that they had seen him at training, running the full length of the oval, whilst bouncing a separate Sherrin in each of his hands!
Last edited by Harves Man on Sun 10 Jan 2021 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At 179cm

He’d be a small forward nowadays

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Sun 10 Jan 2021 3:04am
Agree 100%. I was with a bunch of Pie supporters a couple of years ago and I posed the question ...if you could have 1 St Kilda player who would it be? Lenny Hayes was the unanimous choice. Smart, talented, tough as nails and a great leader.
Totally agree! Although I still think that Nicky Winmar or Robert Harvey could slot into any team, in any era and immediately make a big difference.
Yes, Saynta - that's my understanding, based on what other people who have seen him play, say. Of course, when you compare him, height wise, to say, Buckets (or even Rooie, for that matter), he would look a bit short for CHF, but, again, I can only go by what other observers say, as I never saw him play.

I remember when he first came off the boat from Tassie, to coach us at Moorabbin there was an an article in the 1980's, which said how skillful he was. A reporter , who had seen him play, said that they had seen him at training, running the full length of the oval, whilst bouncing a separate Sherrin in each of his hands!
He was magic mate. A match winner .

The closest player to him that you might have seen play was Alex Jesalenko, and he was only half as good. A poor shadow in fact.😇😇😇
Last edited by saynta on Mon 11 Jan 2021 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Harves Man
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jan 2021 2:54pm

He wasmagic mate. A match winner .

The closest player to him that you might have seen play was Alex Jesalenko, and he was only half as good. A poor shadow in fact.😇😇😇
Thanks, Saynta. Yes, I went to Moorabbin with Dad and saw Jezza, when he was one of the very last of the playing-coaches, when he was appointed coach for us (thanks Lyndsay!).

I realise he was probably past his peak as a player, but even as a kid, I was struck by the obvious reality that he was still quicker than so many of our young guys on the field and staggeringly skillfull!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

It's surprising how time seems to undermine legends. My dad too me to Western Oval to see my first ever game. Naturally, we lost. However, I have the lasting memory of everyone talking about this bloke Baldock. From that day on he took me everywhere to watch the Saints and Baldock and I was fortunate enough to see almost every game he played for the Saints.

He could turn a game in an instant and play any position. We all bang on about our 66 Flag but we might not have even made the finals had a one-legged Baldock not been a late inclusion to sit in the bench. When he came on in the third quarter he had immediate impact and turned the game. You know the rest.

He was THE best!

Saint supporter since '62
Harves Man
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 10 Jan 2021 4:43pm

It's surprising how time seems to undermine legends. My dad too me to Western Oval to see my first ever game. Naturally, we lost. However, I have the lasting memory of everyone talking about this bloke Baldock. From that day on he took me everywhere to watch the Saints and Baldock and I was fortunate enough to see almost every game he played for the Saints.

He could turn a game in an instant and play any position. We all bang on about our 66 Flag but we might not have even made the finals had a one-legged Baldock not been a late inclusion to sit in the bench. When he came on in the third quarter he had immediate impact and turned the game. You know the rest.

He was THE best!
Wow, I believe you and Saynta! There are just so many people who describe him as being the best and most skillful player that they have ever seen, that I have to stand up and listen.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was Baldock a good contested mark

I’ve never seen a highlight of him taking marks?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Jan 2021 10:26pm Was Baldock a good contested mark

They exist, he took them. But at his height, you wouldn't expect it to be a strategy that he or the coach subscribed to against taller opponents, not when he had one touch skills at his feet, immense power in his legs and the ability to thread through traffic onto either his left or his right side and execute the required skill.

Harves Man
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Jan 2021 12:38am

They exist, he took them. But at his height, you wouldn't expect it to be a strategy that he or the coach subscribed to against taller opponents, not when he had one touch skills at his feet, immense power in his legs and the ability to thread through traffic onto either his left or his right side and execute the required skill.
Yes and under those circumstances, if you can get the ball, no matter what, speccies and such become irrelevant!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sound more like a mid than a KPP

Interesting that he played CHF with the 190cm Half Forwards in Cooper and Breen

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I remember Stewart regularly hitting the doc on the chest with pin point accuracy.

bergsone
SS Life Member

He was a good contested mark,often against bigger opponents,also he was often double teamed so marking wasnt in the highlights reels as much.But believe me he could do it all.IMO our best ever

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Certainly was, he had a great leap for his size. He couldn't have held down CHF without it. Case in point was the round 18, 1966, match against Hawthorn I mentioned. When he came on he jumped over the back of a Hawks defender to pull down a mark in the forward pocket, went back and casually slotted a goal. The crowd went berserk, and the Saints were up and about. Real leadership from a great captain!

If they handed out gold stars for defenders that could quell the impact of Baldock my old mate Ted Potter from the Filth would have a couple. Essendon's Geoff Prior would as well, perhaps Geelong's Peter Walker and Footscray's John Jillard usually did a great tagging job on him. I'm not sure that JJ had the job the day Doc kicked 6 in the pouring rain at Moorabbin in '66 (should have been 7 except Brian Mynott, I think, intercepted one on the goal line for himself). All other centre half-backs just had nightmares.

Don't worry, Doc was a freak. It is fair to say, though, he got even better when he went back to Tassie in '69. His performances for Tasmania in state games were unbelievable. He was 28 when he left the Saints, an age now widely agreed when AFL players are reaching their prime.

That said, I've always maintained Ian Stewart was the greatest player of the Saints golden era. His poise and balance, ability to stay on his feet, turn on either foot and hit a target and take marks running backwards into packs was incredible. He grew up in Queenstown, Tasmania, where the emissions from copper smelting put paid to all vegetation and football grounds had a gravel surface. No doubt that is how he learnt to stay upright!

Regardless of how many down periods, with too few ups, the Saints have endured over the past fifty something years it's the memory of Doc and Stewie in full flight in red, white and black that has kept my faith.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if Baldock can over to Melb at 18 (instead of 23) and played until he was 30odd (instead of 28)

Instead of only 119 games in the VFL we would have seen 250 quality games.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doc was already a star in Tas at 18

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:12pm Doc was already a star in Tas at 18
And was captain of his state.

happy feet
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:01pm

Certainly was, he had a great leap for his size. He couldn't have held down CHF without it. Case in point was the round 18, 1966, match against Hawthorn I mentioned. When he came on he jumped over the back of a Hawks defender to pull down a mark in the forward pocket, went back and casually slotted a goal. The crowd went berserk, and the Saints were up and about. Real leadership from a great captain!

If they handed out gold stars for defenders that could quell the impact of Baldock my old mate Ted Potter from the Filth would have a couple. Essendon's Geoff Prior would as well, perhaps Geelong's Peter Walker and Footscray's John Jillard usually did a great tagging job on him. I'm not sure that JJ had the job the day Doc kicked 6 in the pouring rain at Moorabbin in '66 (should have been 7 except Brian Mynott, I think, intercepted one on the goal line for himself). All other centre half-backs just had nightmares.

Don't worry, Doc was a freak. It is fair to say, though, he got even better when he went back to Tassie in '69. His performances for Tasmania in state games were unbelievable. He was 28 when he left the Saints, an age now widely agreed when AFL players are reaching their prime.

That said, I've always maintained Ian Stewart was the greatest player of the Saints golden era. His poise and balance, ability to stay on his feet, turn on either foot and hit a target and take marks running backwards into packs was incredible. He grew up in Queenstown, Tasmania, where the emissions from copper smelting put paid to all vegetation and football grounds had a gravel surface. No doubt that is how he learnt to stay upright!

Regardless of how many down periods, with too few ups, the Saints have endured over the past fifty something years it's the memory of Doc and Stewie in full flight in red, white and black that has kept my faith.
Trev, my Dad worked for the St Kilda Football Club from the early 1950’s to the early 1980’s so saw just about all of a great era of our club. As a kid, I asked him who was the best Saints player he had seen and his quick answer was Ian Stewart and gave the same reasons as you said earlier. I also asked him about who was the toughest and he said without a doubt Eric Guy. The next question was most feared and no prizes for him to say Carl. He loved the way Carl looked after everyone on the field if things got nasty and retribution was usually pretty quick. Having said that he loved the Doc and also thought Verdun Howell was a key reason for our success.

One day he was working on the Members Entrance at Linton Street and a young gate attendant was refusing entry to a couple of old blokes who did not have their members medallion. Dad walked over and let these 2 old blokes in and let the young bloke know that he had just refused admission to out Premiership Captain and a Brownlow Medallist - Neil Roberts.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saints66
Club Player

Stevie Baker for mine
not my favourite player (Harvey) but just the guy I enjoyed watching the most !
could work well in current team a good tagger is lost in the modern game .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 4:16pm Stevie Baker for mine
Stevie went okay for awhile but he wouldn't be in my top 100 choices. :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 4:16pm Stevie Baker for mine
I feel like your making a joke?

Big Stevie Baker fan here but in conversation that thus far has included Stewart, Baldock, Lockett, Harvey, Winmar,and Hayes to name a few, if you could choose anyone you’d go for Stevie Baker?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

happy feet wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 2:43pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:01pm

Trev, my Dad worked for the St Kilda Football Club from the early 1950’s to the early 1980’s so saw just about all of a great era of our club. As a kid, I asked him who was the best Saints player he had seen and his quick answer was Ian Stewart and gave the same reasons as you said earlier. I also asked him about who was the toughest and he said without a doubt Eric Guy. The next question was most feared and no prizes for him to say Carl. He loved the way Carl looked after everyone on the field if things got nasty and retribution was usually pretty quick. Having said that he loved the Doc and also thought Verdun Howell was a key reason for our success.

One day he was working on the Members Entrance at Linton Street and a young gate attendant was refusing entry to a couple of old blokes who did not have their members medallion. Dad walked over and let these 2 old blokes in and let the young bloke know that he had just refused admission to out Premiership Captain and a Brownlow Medallist - Neil Roberts.
Agree with everything you've said mate.

I have my own Eric Guy story. When I decided I was a Saint in 1962 after the first game I went too at Western Oval Mum started hitting me a jumper. Never mind that it was big enough for an adult or the red and black panels were reversed, by season's end I had my very own StKilda jumper complete with a sewn-on shield. Mum asked me what number I would like on it. I told her I really liked the blond-headed tough nut Eric Guy. Mum sewed an a square of white plastic with the rigidity of a sheet of roofing iron and the number 19 screen printed on it.

And bloody Eric Guy retired! I had to endure nearly four seasons of being a fan-boy for non-descript nobodies before Allan Davis arrived on the scene. By finals time in '66 I was looking like one of Nexus BlueNRG Pelican's ITK's!

And that oversized hand-knitted jumper never wore out. I used to wear it as a training jumper into my late teens by when any hope of a bulging chest was being replaced by beer but.

Memories!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep.,Guy was as tough as an old boot. I was there the day he shirt fronted Bobby Skilton. We all thought he had killed him.

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 6:52pm Yep.,Guy was as tough as an old boot. I was there the day he shirt fronted Bobby Skilton. We all thought he had killed him.
Yes, i remember Dad talking about that incident now that you mention it. If I remember correctly Dad sad that Killa took Eric off for the last quarter as he was in fear of his safety from an incensed Swans mob.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.