Captaincy thoughts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Re: Captaincy thoughts?

Steele

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If anyone is betting...

2021 Geary
2022 Marshall/Steele co-captains

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

My money on Geary for this year, Wilkie next year.

older saint
SS Life Member

Possible Co Captains - Geary and Steele ( transition year)?
Takes pressure off too if Geary isnt in best 22

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 27 Jan 2021 12:23pm If anyone is betting...

2021 Geary
Having co-captains is such a s*** concept.
It's like being unable to decide and is the soft option. Do it properly!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Unless you have two good options

Reiwoldt was a great skipper

Hayes would also have been great

Having said that, I’m not sold on Geary just because I don’t believe he is best 22 now

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Steele or Howard

Maybe Co-captains?

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
asiu
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 27 Jan 2021 4:07pm

2021 Geary
i agree

butterboy stuff

we need 3

one down back
one in the middle
one forward

i can’t believe thats not better butter

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Gershwin
Club Player

Gears captain.
Steele vice-captain.

summertime and the living is easy ........
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

asiu wrote: Wed 27 Jan 2021 5:16pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 27 Jan 2021 4:07pm

2021 Geary
i agree

butterboy stuff

we need 3

one down back
one in the middle
one forward

i can’t believe thats not better butter
and one for bench??

Just do the right thing and let the players decide. Hopefully it is Steele, but whoever it is will be supported by me.

St Loxton
Club Player

I just think Howard is a born leader.
Him or Steele for me.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Steele captain.
Skunk vice-captain.
Maybe Ryder VC?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saint6709
Club Player

Geary needs to stand down

Riewoldt who holds the record for longest serving captain and was without question or need for debate best 22 in his final year - stood down and let someone else take the reigns whilst he played on

I would be shocked if Geary was made captain this year - and that is not in any way, shape or form a knock on the bloke

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021 2:20pm Geary needs to stand down

Riewoldt who holds the record for longest serving captain and was without question or need for debate best 22 in his final year - stood down and let someone else take the reigns whilst he played on

I would be shocked if Geary was made captain this year - and that is not in any way, shape or form a knock on the bloke
Precisely.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Gershwin
Club Player

I’m sure that if Geary got the feeling that the players wanted a new captain then he would stand down. However if it was clear that he was their choice then why wouldn’t he stand again. I think he is all about the club and will make the right decision.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021 4:39pm

I’m sure that if Geary got the feeling that the players wanted a new captain then he would stand down. However if it was clear that he was their choice then why wouldn’t he stand again. I think he is all about the club and will make the right decision.
And Roo wouldn't have been the players' clear choice in his last year?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gershwin wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021 4:39pm

I have no idea about the players' thinking,
But my theory is-
-Gears has a heart bigger than Phar Lap
-Gears sets a very high standard of effort and preparation
- the players therefore want Gears' standard to be the benchmark, something to aspire to
- Gears' shortcomings on the field in terms of disposal, etc, can be overcome by the skill of the other 21
- the *net* result of Gears' presence on field, is hugely positive, leadership, effort, never give up, etc.

Just my theory.
Beat me up all you like, go crazy, but the above are my feverish ramblings and I make NO apologies for same.

Peace, out

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

No change. Geary/Ross. Steele being prepared. Transition after about round 11 to Ross/Steele.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I saw a thread on Big Footy - do not go often - and it said Gears isn’t capable of arresting the slide when teams get on a roll. I agree that we do seem to suffer from a loss of momentum and ‘slide’, but I am just wondering what a captain is supposed to do. I suppose the poster means that Gears should be leading by example, but shouldn’t he be doing that all the time? And what is he supposed to be doing differently when we lose the plot and other teams get on a role?

I can only ask, do you think he handles pressure well, and I assume the answer is yes. His skills might not be great, but he doesn’t go to water when the heat is on, right?

To the top
SS Life Member

The general consensus appears that Geary is a lock down small defender who negates the class small forwards from opposition sides

With the emergence of Clark, Coffield, Long and Paton, Geary has transformed to a small forward who locks down on play making half backs of other sides (so the likes of Clark, Coffield, Long and Paton who all rebound well)

And now with Higgins recruited and regaining Gresham plus Crouch’s comment that mids will be rotating forward how many can we play in attack?

And there is the conundrum

Both in terms of the side we may see on the Park and in terms of the Captaincy

Then we get to the issue of leadership - and playing a role where you can lead by example AND impact on the result of a game so ball in hand resulting in the side scoring and that scoring resulting in wins

And being awarded 3 Brownlow votes in the process

There are not many sides which dominate Brownlow voting in a game which then lose that game

We are now developing a List where we have players who will feature in Brownlow voting and that is the potential for this side to improve

Remember also that, as Coach, Ratten has challenged youth to push experience aside

My thoughts anyway

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021 10:05pm I saw a thread on Big Footy - do not go often - and it said Gears isn’t capable of arresting the slide when teams get on a roll. I agree that we do seem to suffer from a loss of momentum and ‘slide’, but I am just wondering what a captain is supposed to do. I suppose the poster means that Gears should be leading by example, but shouldn’t he be doing that all the time? And what is he supposed to be doing differently when we lose the plot and other teams get on a role?

I can only ask, do you think he handles pressure well, and I assume the answer is yes. His skills might not be great, but he doesn’t go to water when the heat is on, right?
Geary had a few huge blunders under pressure last year, most notably in the Freo game where we had a chance to snatch back victory right at the end of the game.

I agree he doesn't have the ability to change the momentum of a game, like Roo or Lenny could do, and this has a bit to do with the position he plays too.

That's why Steele should be captain, he's a true game changer, can chuck the team on his back and lead them to victory.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 8:47am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Jan 2021 10:05pm I saw a thread on Big Footy - do not go often - and it said Gears isn’t capable of arresting the slide when teams get on a roll. I agree that we do seem to suffer from a loss of momentum and ‘slide’, but I am just wondering what a captain is supposed to do. I suppose the poster means that Gears should be leading by example, but shouldn’t he be doing that all the time? And what is he supposed to be doing differently when we lose the plot and other teams get on a role?

Geary had a few huge blunders under pressure last year, most notably in the Freo game where we had a chance to snatch back victory right at the end of the game.

I agree he doesn't have the ability to change the momentum of a game, like Roo or Lenny could do, and this has a bit to do with the position he plays too.

That's why Steele should be captain, he's a true game changer, can chuck the team on his back and lead them to victory.
I did see him drop a couple of regulation marks,n on his own and in open space at critical times. Is that what you mean? I think one may have been when he was down forward and it was a scoring chance gone missing.

So with Roo and Lenny, I suppose you mean it was like turning up the dial to 11 when he are going down. Or like Nathan Bourke kicking that last goal in the - dare I mention this black scourge - the '97 GF. Stewie Loewe (or Stevie Louie as I like to call him) tapped and beautifully weighted floater for Bourkey.

So what you mean is that in general, skills can go down the gurgler under pressure. Say Nicky Winmar is 10 on the skill scale. He can go to a 7. And say Gears is a solid 6, he can go to a 3. Is that what you mean? Unless you mean decision making - calculated risks to switch play through the centre corridor for example. Something you might not expect a young player to do because of the percentages risk.?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And the moral of the story. Take anything you get from Big Wank with a grain of salt. :wink:

on the outer
Club Player

Tom Browne reporting

“Unfortunately I can report there are some fears Jarryn Geary has broken his leg in the saints intra club this morning. He is having it assessed. Latest @7NewsMelbourne”

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I’ll wait for a real journo to report it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"