Paul Hunter. Does anyone know anything about him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paul Hunter. Does anyone know anything about him?

NextYear wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 5:45pm People on this site supposedly follow the club. As was mentioned at the time Abbott was not offered a new contract because he informed the club that he didn't want to pursue his AFL career.
Yes that was so NY. Some like to rewrite history, to suit their own view, especially when they don’t support that player.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

NextYear wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 5:45pm People on this site supposedly follow the club. As was mentioned at the time Abbott was not offered a new contract because he informed the club that he didn't want to pursue his AFL career.
I wonder if that decision was linked to the call not to play him even when we desperately needed a ruckman to replace Ryder in the semi against Richmond.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Where was that reported?!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 8:41pm Where was that reported?!
Not sure where but according to NextYear it was reported LastYear but it's taken until ThisYear to look for a replacement of similar size.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
minneapolis
Club Player

That would do it wouldn't it.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or that’s a load of rubbish?!

saint58
Club Player

could we rookie list Paul Hunter I think we still have a few spots left on our rookie list.
This would allow us to pick up a few players via the mid year draft with 2 spots still left.

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 1:06pm Or that’s a load of rubbish?!
Article at following link seems to confirm that Abbott did decide to quit the big time:

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/local-f ... ck-burdoo/

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 1:03pm
Article at following link seems to confirm that Abbott did decide to quit the big time:

Did he quit the big time before or after
St Kilda Football Club has advised Doulton Langlands, Ryan Abbott, Jack Bell, Jack Mayo and Logan Austin that they will not be offered contracts for the 2021 season.
?

https://www.saints.com.au/news/825195

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Billings Method
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 2:41pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 1:03pm

Did he quit the big time before or after
St Kilda Football Club has advised Doulton Langlands, Ryan Abbott, Jack Bell, Jack Mayo and Logan Austin that they will not be offered contracts for the 2021 season.
?

https://www.saints.com.au/news/825195
Well that clears that up. A bit like telling the boss you quit just after he fired you.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Feb 2021 11:00pm How is he different to Abbott???

Not against recruiting him, but if we needed a back up ruck

Why get rid of Abbott
Abbott resigned.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s splitting hairs to be honest...

He either jumped before being pushed or he got a shove so leapt

Was never going to stay on the list IMO

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 5:06pm I think it’s splitting hairs to be honest...

He either jumped before being pushed or he got a shove so leapt

Was never going to stay on the list IMO
The real question is, is McKernan a better 2nd ruck/forward alternative to Abbott. I say absolutely.
More confusing was the delisting of Bell, a project player who really had Buckley's of playing this season but leaves us without a long term option to partner with Marshall.
So enter Hunter, who if listed, starts as a back-up back-up and is challenged to extend his career by finding the mettle to compete in the AFL arena.
My hopes are that another established AFL first ruck nearing his contracts end at another club has identified a niche position for himself to play finals at St.Kilda and might consider a move.
I believe we could easily shuffle the salary cap with a few players on decent coin close to considering retirement.
Geary, Roberton and Hannerbery, all struggling with health and having contributed little on field in the last 2 years must be feeling some pressure.
As for the ruck stocks, Gawn and Goldstein come to mind.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Jack Bell may rise again, CQ Saint. A year at the zebs and a bit of attitude readjustment may see him re rookies. For the time being it may be Hunter, but he's no certainty.

I, for one, hope he gets a spot. He has genuine worth. A very handy back up. McKernan seems the annointed one, but you never know. In Satan and gags we trust.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The Billings Method
Club Player

Looks like Hunter might get that vacancy. Goodness knows how long Roma will be out.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Out of Nowhere SA (pop. 1873) and into round 1 team. 2 Brownlow votes, kicks first AFL goal. Amazing debut.

The Billings Method
Club Player

What I do know is he's a 200 cm, 100 kg ruckman/forward, an Aquarian who enjoys dancing, bird watching, hiking and the beach. Enjoys a good drop of SA red wine.

That's all I know. More likely to be drafted now Roma has done his foot. Let's hope the boy can play!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 5:23pm What I do know is he's a 200 cm, 100 kg ruckman/forward, an Aquarian who enjoys dancing, bird watching, hiking and the beach. Enjoys a good drop of SA red wine.

That's all I know. More likely to be drafted now Roma has done his foot. Let's hope the boy can play!
I kind of hope not if he's as underwhelming as he sounds. Sure he's got size, age, experience (of being told he's not AFL standard) & sadly, an opening. I'd rather a kid who was overlooked or jettisoned in the past 3 years. Hold fire Saints, don't panic...I've had a lifetime of underwhelming rucks play for St Kilda. I really hoped RoMa & CC had put a stop to that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hunter is in.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/550543/form ... b-s-a-side

"ST KILDA has committed to handing a list spot to ex-Adelaide listed ruckman Paul Hunter as it takes stock on its talls following Rowan Marshall's foot injury.

Hunter was impressive in the Saints' intraclub on Thursday playing for the 'A' side with Marshall and other ruckmen Paddy Ryder and Shaun McKernan sidelined.

It was a performance that sealed Hunter's future at the club, the Saints deciding on Friday to extend the 200cm big man's two-week train-on stint into a permanent stay for 2021.

Scans on Wednesday revealed a hotspot in Marshall's foot that will rule him out for the season opener against Greater Western Sydney.

While the 25-year-old will be off legs for 3-4 weeks, coach Brett Ratten told AFL.com.au on Thursday the club was still hopeful to see the No.1 ruck on the park in the early rounds of the season.

Rested on Thursday, Ryder is expected to feature in upcoming practice matches against North Melbourne and Carlton and be cherry ripe to tackle the Giants

McKernan will also put his hand up for the pre-seasn hitouts after being nursed through training this week while still carrying fluid in a rolled ankle.

With quarters extending back to full-length this season, the Saints are likely to require another ruck option to assist the 32-year-o

Ratten raised swingman Josh Battle as another potential option to pinch-hit in the ruck in the early rounds of the season.

Category B rookie Sam Alabakis, who played for the 'B' team in Thursday's session, is the Saints' other genuine ruck option.

Hunter joins the Saints as his second AFL club following a four-year stay – without an AFL debut – at the Crows that ended following the 2019 season.

The 28-year-old signed at Williamstown for the 2020 VFL season before it was called off due to COVID-19. He then made the dash to sign for South Adelaide and made an immediate impact to be named in the SANFL Team of the Year.

South Adelaide has been hit with a series of other last-minute departures to AFL clubs in recent years with Keegan Brooksby (West Coast and Hawthorn), Hayden McLean (Sydney) and Michael Knoll (Sydney) all being snapped up outside drafts.

Hunter joins under the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) rules which also saw the Saints sign Mason Wood earlier this month.

The Saints have one list spot remaining which could extend to two should defender Dylan Roberton, who is currently weighing up his future, opt to retire.

The SSP closes on March 9 with any list opening able to also be used in the Mid-Season Rookie draft scheduled for June."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to the club Paul and lets hope this late repreive is the start of a fruitful AFL career at the Saints!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Good choice Saints, we need depth.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Welcome aboard big guy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can we all him Paul please not Hunter so we’re not confused with our main Hunter??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.