The Mosquito Fleet

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Billings Method
Club Player

The Mosquito Fleet

What an impressive display by our small brigade. I didn't think there was room for all of Gresh, Butler, Higgins and Lonie. I was wrong.

Lonie's performance was instructive. He's been a whipping boy and largely considered not quite good enough. He has kept producing, survived a number of attempts to trade him and defied moves to relegate him to the fringes. He could be a very valuable part of the overall setup.

Gresham is top class. He could become elite as early as this year. He was sorely missed in the second half of last year. More than we'd like to admit. Good in the midfield, brings variety, can play inside and out and is dangerous up forward.

Butler. His performances with us speak for themselves. A travesty he was overlooked for AA last year. Our leading goal kicker and a real danger to the opposition.

Then there is Higgins. What a steal he will prove to be! The 2021 version of Butler. In two practice matches he has shown what he could be for us. He may end up the best of all four.

Overall, they are a major weapon. They can all go into the midfield, possibly with exception of Lonie (he can pinch hit as a last resort) and all know where the goals are. A bit like their brethren at Richmond. The tiggers may have handed us two of their best and tipped the balance of power our way.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Mosquito Fleet

Lonie has steadily improved his game. We saw that last year. He is a much better team player now.

Gresh is very good BUT needs to use the ball better. I tend to think he just tries the too difficult, or the too long, kick to often and they miss targets as the result. He needs to take a leaf out of Banger's book and learn to kick within his capabilities. Banger became a master of good delivery by not trying to kick too far.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Higgins and Butler for a second and fourth around pick. What a steal, and both with many years of football in front of them. With Gresham, Billings & Hannebery to float through that forward line as well, and if Lonie maintains his form, we will have opposition defences very nervous

Sanctorum
Club Player

I was really impressed with the way Ratten managed to have all four of Gresham, Butler, Higgins and Lonie feature prominently in the game and team up so effectively, mesmerising at times!

Expect all 4 to be in best 22 for round 1.

Based on what we saw last night, the game now is played at blistering pace and St Kilda have the players to meet that demand - Brad Hill another speed demon as well.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Billings Method
Club Player

I caught some feedback on Sen today. Some were saying it was "bruise free" and that too many goals were kicked. Last year and the years before it was too few. Is it a case of habitual whinging by those who are never satisfied, or is there something to it?

I enjoyed the greater scoring, the openness and our fluid ball movement. And our brilliant "Mosquito Fleet" (circa Carlton 1979-82).

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

It was very loose. A lot of cheapies got through for both sides.

Gresham's long kicking is rubbish.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It wasn’t called ‘bruise free’ because of goals

It was the fact that it was 2 tackles to 1 after 20 minutes

The Billings Method
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:26pm It wasn’t called ‘bruise free’ because of goals

It was the fact that it was 2 tackles to 1 after 20 minutes
Thanks for that, teach 🙄.

Saintmike65
Club Player

It's exciting to have such an arsenal of small forwards buzzing around the big boys.
I was keen on Higgins long before we got him, firmly believe he'll be in the conversation of the recruit of the year at season's end.
What I love about him is the energy he brings and the fact he has such a high footy IQ.
Like Gresham, he is also a very adept clearance player, something we didn't have much of.
I agree with the poster that all 4 can play, as Higgins & Gresham will rotate forward/ mid, with Butler & Lonie roaming up and down between the arcs.
Not sure where Billings fits in, maybe high half forward/ wing role?

The Barometer
Club Player

Would like to see the mosquito fleet apply my defensive pressure. Although if they keep kicking goals I guess it doesn’t matter!

The Barometer
Club Player

Would like to see the mosquito fleet apply my defensive pressure. Although if they keep kicking goals I guess it doesn’t matter!

The Billings Method
Club Player

I suppose things will tighten up when the real stuff starts. Lonie and Butler will be the pressure forwards, I believe. Jack and Jade will run through the midfield and head forward to kick goals.

The game will be radically different this year. Longer quarters, back under the roof and more rotations. We have the running power and speed to be at the front of the queue. We have kicked 41 goals in two games. If the shoot out is back in fashion, we are one of the best placed teams. Exciting!
Last edited by The Billings Method on Sat 06 Mar 2021 11:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

damienc
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 3:10pm What an impressive display by our small brigade. I didn't think there was room for all of Gresh, Butler, Higgins and Lonie. I was wrong.

Lonie's performance was instructive. He's been a whipping boy and largely considered not quite good enough. He has kept producing, survived a number of attempts to trade him and defied moves to relegate him to the fringes. He could be a very valuable part of the overall setup.

Gresham is top class. He could become elite as early as this year. He was sorely missed in the second half of last year. More than we'd like to admit. Good in the midfield, brings variety, can play inside and out and is dangerous up forward.

Butler. His performances with us speak for themselves. A travesty he was overlooked for AA last year. Our leading goal kicker and a real danger to the opposition.

Then there is Higgins. What a steal he will prove to be! The 2021 version of Butler. In two practice matches he has shown what he could be for us. He may end up the best of all four.

Overall, they are a major weapon. They can all go into the midfield, possibly with exception of Lonie (he can pinch hit as a last resort) and all know where the goals are. A bit like their brethren at Richmond. The tiggers may have handed us two of their best and tipped the balance of power our way.
Well said.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Playing under the roof again will favour us. A hard, fast track, roof closed, no elements to contend with. In those circumstances, the "Moorabbin Four" will provide us with a significant advantage.

In the open, I reckon we'll cut back to three. Poor old Lones will miss out. He's one of those players who always seems to be the first dropped or traded.

The extra players in the practice matches gave Ratts the chance to experiment. The 4 smalls will still happen, but on a horses for courses basis. Who knows? It may still be a niche to be exploited.

The game is set to open up greatly. Longer quarters and playing at home again puts us right up there. Get excited, Saints.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not heard much of Kent this pres-season.

Is he in the frame or well behind Butler, Higgins, Lonie etc.

He’s fast in a straight line but doesn’t get up and down the ground as efficiently as Butler and Lonie.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 6:38pm Not heard much of Kent this pres-season.

Is he in the frame or well behind Butler, Higgins, Lonie etc.

He’s fast in a straight line but doesn’t get up and down the ground as efficiently as Butler and Lonie.
Named as an emergency after getting over an injury.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think you play all four. Gresham and Higgins can go through the middle (and I reckon Butler can too if necessary. His leg speed is a serious weapon).

You got to hand it to Lonie. He has been written off so many times it’s not funny, but keeps popping up with performances that make it impossible to drop him. He’s a great survivor.