Jake Carlisle's Luck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Jake Carlisle's Luck

With James Frawley unavailable for another 3 months or so, Jake Carlisle has a lucky opportunity to cement his place at CHB in the team, starting on Sunday against GWS.

I can't imagine that he will be left out of the team this week, but sure as hell needs to put in a strong performance on Sunday to hold his place for Round 2 against Melbourne, with Tom Highmore a likely replacement.

Here's hoping that he has a fantastic game because at his best he is a great asset to the team and 200 cm experienced KP players don't grow on trees.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Jake Carlisle's Luck

I'm hoping he gets named but not holding my breath.

He doesn't seem to be held in high regard by the coaches for some reason.

Remember the WCE game when we went in with a criminally undersized defence and got beaten? I'm sensing something similar happening this week.

The Saints are coming!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s out of favour, clearly!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He very much is but I’ve never really known of an out favour that has resulted in a cut of your nose to spite the face type of deal...
I agree with Shangi in the other thread that I reckon dropping him last year and going in with undersized defences a few times last season cost us games

Would hate to see that happen again

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Jake play with more urgency.

It’s a fine line between laconic and lazy

Does he have a Dougal Howard type of intensity?!

He also lacks mobility now, and being a slow defender is a worry

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dougal Howard however can’t do all the heavy work on his own.

A few times last year, the opposition mids got on top and their forwards roughed Howard up and climbed all over him. Not his fault by any means but he’s not invincible either and we shouldn’t treat him as though he is

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How bad is Jake's back injury, does it have an ongoing affect, is that why he lacks mobility and is no longer an automatic selection. :?:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bergsone
SS Life Member

I would have him in the 22,even have the option of throwing him forward,if need be.Just feel we lack some height

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 2:58pm How bad is Jake's back injury, does it have an ongoing affect, is that why he lacks mobility and is no longer an automatic selection. :?:
Good question.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 2:17pm I would like to see Jake play with more urgency.

It’s a fine line between laconic and lazy

Does he have a Dougal Howard type of intensity?!

He also lacks mobility now, and being a slow defender is a worry
He certainly does NOT have Dougal Howard's intensity.
But he does have extreme talent and experience.
Put the combination together you a lock for All Australian defender.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s a long way from AA

He’s not even in StKs best 22

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 1:00pm I'm hoping he gets named but not holding my breath.

He doesn't seem to be held in high regard by the coaches for some reason.

Remember the WCE game when we went in with a criminally undersized defence and got beaten? I'm sensing something similar happening this week.
Round one against Nth Melbourne too.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 20 Mar 2021 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Play him forward Sunday
Too slow for backline now other than in sperts

minneapolis
Club Player

Well now that Highmore is getting Jake's spot for Round 1, I would say that it confirms that Carlisle is in trouble.

He also seems to be the type of guy that spits it when things don't go his way emotionally.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

His luck is he has a contract. Dropped for the finals, two debutants (at least) gone past him in the off season, not even the face saving "managed" noted against his name. You can have an attitude or a bad back but not both, especially when the coaching staff don't hold any residual goodwill towards you and you are not the player you were. (Please ignore this comment if he actually plays Sunday, whereupon I will eat lashings of humble pie, Bucks has plenty to get through after last night's show of affection by Collingwood players towards Treloar; love to help Bucks out.)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 11:22am His luck is he has a contract. Dropped for the finals, two debutants (at least) gone past him in the off season, not even the face saving "managed" noted against his name. You can have an attitude or a bad back but not both, especially when the coaching staff don't hold any residual goodwill towards you and you are not the player you were. (Please ignore this comment if he actually plays Sunday, whereupon I will eat lashings of humble pie, Bucks has plenty to get through after last night's show of affection by Collingwood players towards Treloar; love to help Bucks out.)
He wasn’t dropped for the finals. He played quite well in the first final and withdrew himself for the second final and we desperately needed him as Lynch bullied our defenders

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Its going to be a long hard season. I wouldn't write off Carlisle just yet, he has a contract and plenty of time to secure a year or 2 more.
Let's see how Highmore, Wilkie and Battle handle the bigger key forwards first. Clavarino seems a long way off still.
Geelong, West Coast and Brisbane still look very threatening and very tall, but really, is Carlisle any good at playing on the big boys anyway. He prefers to play off his man anyway.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Overall... have to say I’m really shocked by the lack of respect for Carlisle’s ability across the various St.Kilda platforms I follow.

There seems to be this general perception that Howard is some kind of super man that did/does all of big bodied work by himself and complete denial/lack of acknowledgment as to just how poor our results were last season when he didn’t play.

Happy to acknowledge that there are concerns about whatever... attitude, team focus, off-field... I don’t know exactly but this idea that he’s not clearly best 22 and incapable of manning a tall forward is bordering on delusional

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

as someone else has already stated. Carlisle is now too slow and will be a liability on fast grounds.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Mar 2021 3:34pm Overall... have to say I’m really shocked by the lack of respect for Carlisle’s ability across the various St.Kilda platforms I follow.

There seems to be this general perception that Howard is some kind of super man that did/does all of big bodied work by himself and complete denial/lack of acknowledgment as to just how poor our results were last season when he didn’t play.

Happy to acknowledge that there are concerns about whatever... attitude, team focus, off-field... I don’t know exactly but this idea that he’s not clearly best 22 and incapable of manning a tall forward is bordering on delusional

As it turns out there is no opponent for him. GWS only have the one tall forward in Harry Himmelberg who is 194cm.

As selected while we while are not tall, have more talls and a lot of medium talls compared to GWS.

Depending what conditions look like an hour or so out you might see some tweaking.

One could also argue that this may have been a good game for Max King to have missed anyway.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....