I’m done

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Re: I’m done

Reading thru these comments makes me feel a bit better ... just knowing tha there are others with the same passion and love for the club. But to wake up this morning knowing that we are pretty much no longer in contention for finals after just round 3 is heartbreaking. But let's face it with the next 3 games v Eagles, Port and Richmond we are likely to be 1 - 5. But it's more about the effort. Even if we had beaten Essendon (and why couldn't we??) and then lost to the next 3 teams by minor margins would be something. But one would have to fear the coming weeks after our effort against Melb and Essendon. And if Melb had kicked straight we would have lost by a similar margin to yesterday. And then on top of it we lose Gresham for the season. And I'm sorry ... but I'm not happy about Ryder. I can't see why a player can't at least turn up for a few hours and then hop on a plane and go back to his 'family.' I'm sure that there are players that have very deep mental issues that need to mend and recover (and that could be Paddy) ... but I also think that we are living in a 'precious' age ... and we'll soon get to the point where some player will be saying 'my pet died' I need to take this week off - I can't play. Ryder's loss in 3 games has been costly - especially with no Marshall. Enuff said. I'm depressed. Good luck Ratts ... you got a big job ahead to revive this team and come up with plan B.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Not done. Never will be. Going Sat to cheer them on.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 1:36pm Reading thru these comments makes me feel a bit better ... just knowing tha there are others with the same passion and love for the club. But to wake up this morning knowing that we are pretty much no longer in contention for finals after just round 3 is heartbreaking. But let's face it with the next 3 games v Eagles, Port and Richmond we are likely to be 1 - 5. But it's more about the effort. Even if we had beaten Essendon (and why couldn't we??) and then lost to the next 3 teams by minor margins would be something. But one would have to fear the coming weeks after our effort against Melb and Essendon. And if Melb had kicked straight we would have lost by a similar margin to yesterday. And then on top of it we lose Gresham for the season. And I'm sorry ... but I'm not happy about Ryder. I can't see why a player can't at least turn up for a few hours and then hop on a plane and go back to his 'family.' I'm sure that there are players that have very deep mental issues that need to mend and recover (and that could be Paddy) ... but I also think that we are living in a 'precious' age ... and we'll soon get to the point where some player will be saying 'my pet died' I need to take this week off - I can't play. Ryder's loss in 3 games has been costly - especially with no Marshall. Enuff said. I'm depressed. Good luck Ratts ... you got a big job ahead to revive this team and come up with plan B.
We just had the Rod Owen story break. And it could be one of many. We have seen Collingwood implode over the summer, and Eddie gone. The papers are full of stories about x,y and z in education, the church, sport, politics and the new 'higher' ground that organizations - particularly ones associated with tradition (i.e. not Tinder, Facebook, Uber) - are supposed to defend. The club's priority now is about shoring up its reputation and like any organization in these times, trying to mitigate against a cascade of new claims. i really think any organization will happily forfeit any number of premiership points than been written up the paper for a new dirty story. We are like a microfibre duster, which picks up dust due to the static charge. any dirt sticks and glows.

So Paddy Ryder can have as much time off has he wants. Carlisle can put his family before a final..there is no question.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Whether you believe me or not it’s up to you.
The players, coaches, administrators,ME, are hurting as much as you- the supporters. I realise from the stands, or the couch it looks as sometimes that don’t give a rats arse but believe me they do. You don’t reach the pinnacle of this sport whether as a player or a coach without having enormous pride in your performance. They’re hurting and they will come out and give their all next week. Whether that works or whether you believe they are giving their all is in the eye of the observer. But they are trying, they are hurting and it just not working.
I can’t be more honest. You’re a Saint for life- it’s hell.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 1:17pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 12:27pm
saintkid wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 11:53am
The Fireman wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 11:37am
saintkid wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 11:17am I couldn't bear to post yesterday, as we simply could not believe that disgusting performance. Our issues are deeper than what shows on-field, hence my post last week. Lethlean, Finnis and a couple of their sidekicks have done further damage to our club, if that was possible, with recruitment and forward planning (long non-sensical contracts to the wrong type of player we needed).

I felt last year made us look better because there were so many variables with the weekly COVID-19 situations surfacing with all teams and the lack of continuity. In anticipation of a more stable 2021 across all clubs, I expected us to not be quite as good as 2020 to be honest, as I feel our list still has glaring deficiencies. However, last night was far worse than I ever imagined.

Good and especially proud clubs do NOT perform like that in consecutive weeks. I'm both very embarrassed and ashamed of yesterday's performance....period.
?? they were heroes not that long ago.
Never to me Fireman. I have been pointing out Lethlean's recruitment decisions and unaccountability for some time now. Finnis lost me when he extended Richardson's contract at a time where there was no sense or reasoning to do it. His lame reasoning behind doing so, further confirmed for me the spud he is. St Kilda has historically made bad decisions behind the scenes and unfortunately, we have a number going on again at present.
I disagree mate, I reckon we have been involved in the best recruiting in many years, as I have said before..we have a talented team that is being poorly used.
Can you go through trades one by one and tell us about this great recruiting.
Howard- good
Austin ?
Hill ?
Hannebery?
Kent ?
Butler -benefit of the doubt due to last year
Higgins- too early to pass judgement
Ryder- pass mark
that former Geelong ruck spud
Marsh ?
Crouch jury's out but he does offer a bit as a playmate for a couple of other mercenaries with bad habits
McKernan, Hunter and Wood were always going to be back ups at best so will forgive their recruitment

Please don't take us back to Membrey and Steele as they weren't brought in by the current geniuses.
Good post whiskers

Maybe there’s others you left out, but there was also Sam Rowe. I’m sick of the safe recycled rejects. Get fresh talent into the team like Wilkie and Highmore. Try them as rookies. We could perhaps find the next ‘Prospect’

You can’t win a flag with recycled players. This isn’t 1975. We have to have assistant coaches and a head coach who are willing to bring in youth and develop a squad that can grow and improve together. This is another reason we should have recruited Mark Williams back in 2013.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 2:43pm Whether you believe me or not it’s up to you.
The players, coaches, administrators,ME, are hurting as much as you- the supporters. I realise from the stands, or the couch it looks as sometimes that don’t give a rats arse but believe me they do. You don’t reach the pinnacle of this sport whether as a player or a coach without having enormous pride in your performance. They’re hurting and they will come out and give their all next week. Whether that works or whether you believe they are giving their all is in the eye of the observer. But they are trying, they are hurting and it just not working.
The tackle count up until half time tells another story.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday was a trip back in time to the bad old days where we used to go and see the Saints get flogged regularly. I cannot believe the rubbish that I saw last night- a team totally lacking in fight and desire- it was bad enough to see the ordinary effort against Melbourne.

Our midfield this season has been absolute crap, in physical efforts, and structural efforts..and when a midfield is getting flogged, the rest of the team looks ordinary. A few heroic efforts from Steele doesn't make a midfield. This will be a bloody huge test for Ratts.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 12:22pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 12:08pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 12:00pm I agree with JB's summation. I'm certainly not done, will just lessen my financial & emotional investment in them until they can be taken seriously as an organisation.

We are still struggling to align the pillars of being a sustained successful club. Our Board, Our Administration, Our Recruiting, Our Coaching & Our Players.

It's a bit like my golf game, I can't get all the facets to work together which is why I'm a hack. It is why St Kilda is a laughing stock to the broader AFL community. That's what hurts the most.

That said, I won't give up. That would make me as bad as some of our players.
Okay - so......

You rock up to work - invested in the company - believing the message - supporting the boss in their endeavours to take the company forward. After promises of new contracts - greater work satisfaction - better working environment - more opportunities - you find them down the pub drinking and carousing - and using the company credit card - the leads that you have given them sitting un-noticed on the desk. Do you feel a sense of Work Satisfaction??

Now change the scenario to where it is costing you financially - say $1,000.00 per year to fund this lifestyle???

Not Happy Jan.
I understand you are not happy. What I don't understand is the euphemism you describe. Your work example is a no brainer. Is that what's happening at St Kilda? If so, then that's a no brainer. The picture you paint helps you make your decision and explains your unhappiness. If I believed any of that to be the case I would not be a member or on this forum.
We invest our time. We invest our money. But the emotional toll it takes is the issue here. It’s more to do with the realisation that there are some in the team that don’t give a stuff. The heartache and emotional toll feels like someone betraying your trust in them to prepare as best as they can and to perform as best as they can.

The whole club and especially the football department need to sit down and ask the question. Why? Some honest feedback needed and every player and every leader and every assistant coach needs to be honest

The players dished out a pathetic performance. We know they are better than that so they need to find out why we played so poorly and prevent it from happening again. Either they fix the issues quickly or heads need to roll

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 2:43pm Whether you believe me or not it’s up to you.
Sure as hell didn't look like it they were not prepared to run not prepared to chase I could go on but I think you get the picture half arse effort IMO

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought the Melbourne performance would have been a big enough wake up call to prevent the Bombers effort from happening?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Fugazi1966 wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 8:08pm
leighsaintsince66 wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 8:03pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 7:19pm
Beno88 wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 6:47pm Same. 37 years old, 32 years a member. I’m out. I don’t need this s*** in my life.
Plus 1. Limit to how much disappointment I’ll endure before I disengage.That’s the softest pile of shyte I’ve had the displeasure of witnessing. They can GF.
I agree. The club seems to be more about social inclusion, mental health, probably BLM and other causes anyway. We probably lead the way in terms of social issues.

In relation to footy however, the club continues to tease us and then crush our dreams year after year.

I'm probably in the last quarter of my life now and have been waiting decade after decade for an elusive second premiership.

I have spent 1000's of hours and dollars on this team.

Why do I care so much? Is this club a cult?

Many of our players seem to lack passion and urgency.

Us long term supporters seem to care more about footy & our club than the current team does.
I remember 2009 post GF taking 3 days to recover from the disappointment.
Alarm bells went off back then about just how much energy is invested into something I have absolutely no control over. Its all a bit over the top.
3 days bro? I was still dwelling on it 3 YEARS after it And 2010 another 3 years after that

Sanctorum
Club Player

No way am I done - as I mentioned on another post, what occurred yesterday has happened before, most notably in round 2, 1997, when the Brisbane Lions annihilated St Kilda by 97 points, then went on to make the Grand Final!

Like everyone, I felt shattered watching yesterday's debacle but it is just 3 rounds into a 22 game tournament and I am prepared to weather the storm until our injured ruckmen are back on deck, when I expect a return to the good form they displayed in the pre-season matches.

Never forget, this comp is a marathon, not a 100 m hurdles sprint...

The thing that I have noticed in 2021 is substantially more open play and rapid ball movement, and often the team that gets a run of goals by winning all the early clearances goes on to dominate the game by placing enormous scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

As for criticisms of Finnis and Lethlean, that's sheer nonsense - St Kilda do have a strong list and good depth, the last 2 weeks IMHO was all to do with the players' mental attitudes and I have confidence in Ratten, Lade and Roughead getting that fixed pronto!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
nobhead
Club Player

Tony
If this pathetic effort was a one off i could buy the players and club are hurting line but this sort of performance is not a one off .this crap has been going on for years .i have read post after post today from members and supporters of 30 and 40 years who have invested elot into this club for little to no return.getting beaten is one thing but to loose the way they did is an insult to all stkilda people out there.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 5:28pm No way am I done - as I mentioned on another post, what occurred yesterday has happened before, most notably in round 2, 1997, when the Brisbane Lions annihilated St Kilda by 97 points, then went on to make the Grand Final!

Like everyone, I felt shattered watching yesterday's debacle but it is just 3 rounds into a 22 game tournament and I am prepared to weather the storm until our injured ruckmen are back on deck, when I expect a return to the good form they displayed in the pre-season matches.

Never forget, this comp is a marathon, not a 100 m hurdles sprint...

The thing that I have noticed in 2021 is substantially more open play and rapid ball movement, and often the team that gets a run of goals by winning all the early clearances goes on to dominate the game by placing enormous scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

As for criticisms of Finnis and Lethlean, that's sheer nonsense - St Kilda do have a strong list and good depth, the last 2 weeks IMHO was all to do with the players' mental attitudes and I have confidence in Ratten, Lade and Roughead getting that fixed pronto!
We have a good coach - may not be the one take St. Kilda to a flag, but a good coach for this phase of this seemingly never ending rebuild.

The list is good, better than the putrid footy currently being produced, but still a bit too workmanlike in the centre to be a top four team.

Lethlean, jury is still put. Has ticked some boxes (especially when compared to that debacle of a Trout and Pelchen era), but when so much of our cap is being consumed by Hill & Hannebery, he’s still far from being a messiah.

As for Finnis, criticism is perfectly warranted. His needless extension of Richo’s contract and the constant lemons he’s been trying to sell the supporters had long ago become insulting.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 5:27pm
Fugazi1966 wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 8:08pm
I remember 2009 post GF taking 3 days to recover from the disappointment.
Alarm bells went off back then about just how much energy is invested into something I have absolutely no control over. Its all a bit over the top.
3 days bro? I was still dwelling on it 3 YEARS after it And 2010 another 3 years after that
Amateurs - still salty TODAY

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Don't underestimate the negative impact of Ryder and Marshall being unavailable. Our mids had a great understanding with our rucks, and with both Marshall and Ryder able to push forward it was like having an extra player on the field. We simply haven't adjusted to their absence, both on the field and in the coaches box. We should have played man on man in the stoppages. We expected to win them and it just didn't happen. From there it was a procession. Crouch dances to the beat of his own drum and his impact was zero. Fans will learn that he is not the clearance machine we were after. If you're frustrated with Hill, be prepared to be frustrated by Crouch We had no hard tag on Merrett, who destroys us every time. Losing Gresham for the year is going to hurt. Bytel must be developed in his absence.

I still maintain that we were physically flat. It was across the board apart from a couple of players. Carlisle should play a key defender role because right now Howard is under seige. Battle should play genuine CHF. Leave him there and let him develop in the role. Give the players a structure they can depend upon.

All teams have horror days. Yes, it was truly horrible. But it's not the end the of the world. We will get better, but won't be beating quality teams without the Ryder/Marshall combination. And dare I say it... Geary's leadership was missed.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I choose not to believe you.
Against the Dees, the margin would have been far greater, but for the Dees' inaccuracy.

Post-match review should have been enlightening.
Alas, it got worse against an undermanned Druggies team.
Nobody with any sort of 'pride' would dish up a worse performance than the preceding one.

I don't see them demonstrating any sort of 'pride' in the last 2 games, mate.

If they had any pride, they would have made some inroads in the final qtr.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 1:19am, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 8:53pm Don't underestimate the negative impact of Ryder and Marshall being unavailable. Our mids had a great understanding with our rucks, and with both Marshall and Ryder able to push forward it was like having an extra player on the field. We simply haven't adjusted to their absence, both on the field and in the coaches box. We should have played man on man in the stoppages. We expected to win them and it just didn't happen. From there it was a procession. Crouch dances to the beat of his own drum and his impact was zero. Fans will learn that he is not the clearance machine we were after. If you're frustrated with Hill, be prepared to be frustrated by Crouch We had no hard tag on Merrett, who destroys us every time. Losing Gresham for the year is going to hurt. Bytel must be developed in his absence.

I still maintain that we were physically flat. It was across the board apart from a couple of players. Carlisle should play a key defender role because right now Howard is under seige. Battle should play genuine CHF. Leave him there and let him develop in the role. Give the players a structure they can depend upon.

All teams have horror days. Yes, it was truly horrible. But it's not the end the of the world. We will get better, but won't be beating quality teams without the Ryder/Marshall combination. And dare I say it... Geary's leadership was missed.
In fact having McKernan seems to make their absences worse - the centre frees yesterday were diabolical, goals on a stick. It means Paddy and Rowan could be worth something like150 points in a game like yesterdays. That's a huge multiplier effect but you get the drift. Coaches need to come up with something that can stem the bleeding till Rowan gets back. And we cant afford to try again to see if Wood can play. Hill needs a rest for his sake and the side's. No good having a cherry on top if there is no cake. Lonie doesn't seem to fit in a side without winning mids either so maybe he could rest as well.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I know I'll be as big of a fan of the Saints on the day I die as I have been since I could walk so I can't really ever be 'done' with the club but that game hit me the hardest of any game I've witnessed. It was a kick in the guts.

I can't even really put into words how disappointing the whole thing was. I've seen us lose by double the points but there has just been something about our endeavour in the last two weeks that is disturbing.

Hopefully we're all just overreacting and the boys turn it around but like many others I feel like the season is over already.

Sort of feeling like Seymour Skinner right now:

Prove me wrong, Sainters. Prove me wrong.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I believe you believe it Tony.

But the proof is in the pudding.
Get out and have a crack is all supporters ask and you cannot suggest that this team did that on Saturday.

I have been involved in elite sport for many years and that performance was as pathetic as I have ever seen.

They looked collectively like a swimmer or a runner who was in heavy training loading phase who'd been asked to race without tapering. How can they be in this shape at this time of the season?

I very much doubt any elite sportsman with any pride in their performance could collectively turn that performance in unless there are significant issues simmering in the background.

If Olympic swimmers or athletes put in a performance like this at a major event they'd lose funding and their coaches would lose support. There are quite a few who should be feeling very embarrassed when their monthly payments hit their account.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
devil saint
Club Player

I accept what you say about the players, coaches, etc. hurting after the game. As Ratts said, they are all feeling embarrassed.
What bothers me most about your response to this thread is “they are trying...and it is just not working”. If this is the case, this seems to be a concession that we are not good enough. This saddens and worries me, especially after our aggressive recruiting at the expense of drafting young talent.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Oh, another thing, tony74 has historically used the phrase 'they are hurting' on several occasions in the past.
When he's come on here to shed some light on the 'professional' (cough) footballers after a devastating performance, the phrase gets trotted out.

I did a search of his posts for the word 'hurting', and there's been 8 posts that say 'they're hurting as much as, if not more than, you and me'.

I don't see any evidence of 'hurt' apart from the hurt in my bank account each month.
If someone is hurting, they take steps to address it.

They didn't hurt after the Dees game because they just drank deeper from the well of 'Don't care, I'm just here to collect a salary'

Unbelievable
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 1:24am, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 11:06pm
I believe you believe it Tony.

But the proof is in the pudding.
Get out and have a crack is all supporters ask and you cannot suggest that this team did that on Saturday.

I have been involved in elite sport for many years and that performance was as pathetic as I have ever seen.

They looked collectively like a swimmer or a runner who was in heavy training loading phase who'd been asked to race without tapering. How can they be in this shape at this time of the season?

I very much doubt any elite sportsman with any pride in their performance could collectively turn that performance in unless there are significant issues simmering in the background.

If Olympic swimmers or athletes put in a performance like this at a major event they'd lose funding and their coaches would lose support. There are quite a few who should be feeling very embarrassed when their monthly payments hit their account.
I was a bit flat after the Dees game, but thought that the 6 day break after a wet slog might be an excuse for fatigue and heavy legs.

But no...against the Bombers, hardly any chasing, no tackles that stuck, no second efforts, no running to pick up a man- just happy to spectate and watch passively from afar.
Disinterested. But I bet they're interested in their on-line banking when the match payment comes in.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nah.

I dont buy it. Effort is not negotiable.

Supporting this club should not mean we have to accept that rubbish.

In the space of two weeks this group has completely eroded any and all trust earned so far in their journey.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ratts should take the playing group up the bush for a couple of days and focus a bit more as a group. Too many individuals so far this season, not enough team.