Hannebery retires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery retires

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 4:37pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 9:56pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 9:50pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 9:25pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 9:00pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 8:10pm What a s*** thread. Let’s bag our own.
Poor old Curly, we all know he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. He actually rang the club to see if Dan could be talked out of retirement :wink:

No Oracle just don’t find it great taking pot shots like this at one of our own. Clubs and supporters get around each other when s*** things happen not try and divide.
Geez you’d be a stale old bottle of piss around a sporting club Curly. For a 600 game legend, 414 time coach of the year and OAM for services to umpiring you don’t have much of a feel for taking the piss when the chips are down.

Who answered the phone when you called the club?
Another hilarious personal attack. Why does it bother you that I played footy or coach. I’m sure most on here have or do.
Bother me?

I have quite decided if it's sad or hilarious that you feel the need to brag about your football exploits of 20 years ago on an internet forum as if they meant something and impressed people. There are actually people who have achieved in their lives but choose to remain anonymous & modest.

Bragging about being U/16 coach of the year in a back block league as if it validates your opinion and removes the absolute stupidity you post on this forum.

On reflection I am going with hilarious.

I am no intellect, let me be clear Curly, but you are without doubt the dumbest person posting on this forum. But hey that's my "soul" opinion. :wink:
Bragged have I Oracle? That's another long bow and personal attack from the king. Say's a lot about a person that has to personally attack someone to try and take the higher ground.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
twirlyhair
Club Player

Poor old Curly, we all know he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. He actually rang the club to see if Dan could be talked out of retirement :wink:

No Oracle just don’t find it great taking pot shots like this at one of our own. Clubs and supporters get around each other when s*** things happen not try and divide.
Geez you’d be a stale old bottle of piss around a sporting club Curly. For a 600 game legend, 414 time coach of the year and OAM for services to umpiring you don’t have much of a feel for taking the piss when the chips are down.

Another hilarious personal attack. Why does it bother you that I played footy or coach. I’m sure most on here have or do.
Geez, checked in here after months of not bothering. Can see nothing has changed. So-called supporters trying to teach each other apart. Time to grow up gents.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Latest Injury Report shows TBC, a change from 3-4 weeks. Does TBC mean closer to retirement? Totally Bloody Cactus?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 5:26pm

Geez, checked in here after months of not bothering. Can see nothing has changed. So-called supporters trying to teach each other apart. Time to grow up gents.
I think the mods got sick of at least one of them.

Agree with your comments though.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 5:26pm

Yep & ironically/ suitably / tragically / fittingly, neither has St Kilda. Don't blame the players.

damienc
Club Player

Cheap shots are all the rage these days. Especially on this forum.

And it is oh so easy to get away with the cheapest of shots in relation to Dan Hannebery.

Yet another recruiting mistake. We're paying him too much. We gave him too long a contract yadda yadda.

Time to do a small separation of fiction from reality.

The club recruited Hannebery because he is an AA midfielder and exactly the type of player we need.

It was a gamble. No doubt about it.

Because of the way Hannebery plays the game, his body has taken a ferocious battering over the years.

St Kilda went into this recruitment with eyes wide open.

The knew Hannebery was banged up but they trusted in their rehab systems to get him right enough to stay for extended periods on the park.

And there in lies what has gone wrong.

Hannebery has played only a handful of games for us. But when he does play he is a beaut. Gives us exactly what the club hoped he would.

The tragedy, because really there is no other word to use, is that he's not been able to get his body right to play regularly.

We have missed him. In that there can be no doubt.

Maybe Dan Hannebery will never be right enough to make a significant contribution to our footy club.

That would be very disappointing. For him and for the Saints.

Did the club make a mistake in recruiting him? Only in hindsight.

Sometimes you roll the dice and hope things will go your way. They have in the case of Paddy Ryder.

I'm sure Hannebery wants to be playing footy as much as the club wants him too. I'm sure it's a constant source of frustration for everybody.

By all means have a crack at St Kilda over Hannebery. Attack Hannebery. He's an easy target.

As for me, Yeah Nah.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:23pm Cheap shots are all the rage these days. Especially on this forum.

And it is oh so easy to get away with the cheapest of shots in relation to Dan Hannebery.

Yet another recruiting mistake. We're paying him too much. We gave him too long a contract yadda yadda.

The club recruited Hannebery because he is an AA midfielder and exactly the type of player we need.

Because of the way Hannebery plays the game, his body has taken a ferocious battering over the years.

The knew Hannebery was banged up but they trusted in their rehab systems to get him right enough to stay for extended periods on the park.

Hannebery has played only a handful of games for us. But when he does play he is a beaut. Gives us exactly what the club hoped he would.

The tragedy, because really there is no other word to use, is that he's not been able to get his body right to play regularly.

Maybe Dan Hannebery will never be right enough to make a significant contribution to our footy club.

Sometimes you roll the dice and hope things will go your way. They have in the case of Paddy Ryder.

I'm sure Hannebery wants to be playing footy as much as the club wants him too. I'm sure it's a constant source of frustration for everybody.

By all means have a crack at St Kilda over Hannebery. Attack Hannebery. He's an easy target.

As for me, Yeah Nah.
I don’t know if your are being playful here, and we all like a bit of to and fro I would guess, especially at present, to vent a little steam...

But seriously, how many good games have you seen Hanners play? I mean really good games befitting his ‘status’ on the the ‘glass half-full’ side of the street?

I’m not the best watcher of games, but I reckon 2 or 3 really solid games.

Moreover, if we acknowledge that his game style got him into this beat up state, surely we acknowledge either he will naturally progress to that state again, (even faster at his age and stage now) or he will have to play a completely different kind of game.

I suspect he was a Sam Mitchell goes to West Coast kind of recruit. Cupola years on the park, assistant coach...

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Freeman debacle should have been enough to tell them that our medical people aren't miracle workers!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:23pm

The tragedy, because really there is no other word to use, is that he he's not been able to get his body right to play regularly.
Gee it would be good if it were that simple. The tragedy might be that St Kilda didn’t understand the full extent of his ‘issues’

There was a statement made last month in regard to Dan’s issues. They are not the ‘normal’ issues one associates with soft tissue injuries suffered by footballers or professional athletes. Lethlean admitted to something other than battering over the years on a footy field or any training whether that is of the running or any physical variety of agility, or strength work is concerned.

This was the key imo and it points to an individual who may have other issues going on with his body and with his muscles specifically.

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.“

Those ‘issues’ were well known within the industry before Lethlean offered Dan a five year contract
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 27 May 2021 2:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

damienc
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:34pm
damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:23pm Cheap shots are all the rage these days. Especially on this forum.

As for me, Yeah Nah.
I don’t know if your are being playful here, and we all like a bit of to and fro I would guess, especially at present, to vent a little steam...

But seriously, how many good games have you seen Hanners play? I mean really good games befitting his ‘status’ on the the ‘glass half-full’ side of the street?

Moreover, if we acknowledge that his game style got him into this beat up state, surely we acknowledge either he will naturally progress to that state again, (even faster at his age and stage now) or he will have to play a completely different kind of game.

I suspect he was a Sam Mitchell goes to West Coast kind of recruit. Cupola years on the park, assistant coach...
Two or three really solid games? Hannebery has played 13 matches for the Saints since season 2019. If you dive a little deeper that is 5 matches in 2019 for an average of 25 disposals per match. In 2020, he played 8 matches for an average of 17.8 disposals. I think he made a greater contribution than you give him credit for.

damienc
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:35pm The Freeman debacle should have been enough to tell them that our medical people aren't miracle workers!
I think I wouldn't be as reckless as you in describing NF as a debacle. He's been anything but a debacle for Frankston. He's nominated for the draft. He may well be selected by a club willing to roll the dice. He might prove you wrong. And I, for one, hope that he does.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:37pm

The tragedy, because really there is no other word to use, is that he he's not been able to get his body right to play regularly.
Gee it would be good if it were that simple. The tragedy might be that St Kilda didn’t understand the full extent of his ‘issues’

There was a statement made last month in regard to Dan’s issues. They are not the ‘normal’ issues one associates with soft tissue injuries suffered by footballers or professional athletes. Lethlean admitted to something other than battering over the years on a footy field or any training whether that is of the running or any physical variety of agility, or strength work is concerned.

This was the key imo and it points to an individual who may have other issues going on with his body and with his muscles specifically.

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.“

Those ‘issues’ were well known within the industry before Lethlean offered Dan a five year contract
Here’s the topic where the above quote was taken from

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102387&hilit=Hanneb ... n#p1897574
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 27 May 2021 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:51pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:35pm The Freeman debacle should have been enough to tell them that our medical people aren't miracle workers!
I think I wouldn't be as reckless as you in describing NF as a debacle. He's been anything but a debacle for Frankston. He's nominated for the draft. He may well be selected by a club willing to roll the dice. He might prove you wrong. And I, for one, hope that he does.
Richmond are keen on drafting him I believe.

damienc
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:52pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:37pm

Here’s the topic where the above quote was taken from

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102387&hilit=Hanneb ... n#p1897574
Let's agree to disagree. I think the "something else going on" are the years of being banged up playing for the Swans. His final season with Sydney mirrors his three seasons with us.

Our club thought they could get him right enough to play more matches than he has for the Saints. I don't think it is any more or less complicated than that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If I was living in the Dark Ages I’d say there’s a curse on St Kilda and I’d be looking for answers with witch doctors and I’d be preying to the heavens for answers....but we aren’t living in the 1500’s. Science has come a fair way and humans search for proper medical evidence instead of guessing that his injuries are because ‘he has been banged up’!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I don't think there's any hindsight about it. His body was cooked for 2 years before he came to us, everyone could see it, except our 'experts' it would seem.

I think shortly after he arrived Richo admitted his body was worse than they had originally thought :roll:

This guy summed it up back in 2018...
"I'm sure most Swans fans were hoping for a first-round pick, or a good player in return, but let's face it, this is 2018 Dan Hannebery we're trading, a broken down 1982 Datsun with 500,000 kilometres on the clock, not the 2015 Lamborghini."

https://theswansblog.com/2018/10/12/why ... -business/

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:51pm
Would certainly be a feel good story but I doubt whatever club drafts him will do so on a million dollars over 3 years, inclusive of severe medical bills.

In regards to Hanners, like Freeman, it's nothing personal. These mistakes lie fairly at the feet of the Football Dept, their lack of due diligence and a form of misguided, unfounded arrogance when it comes to recruiting with their fingers crossed.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:46pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 2:34pm

As for me, Yeah Nah.

Two or three really solid games? Hannebery has played 13 matches for the Saints since season 2019. If you dive a little deeper that is 5 matches in 2019 for an average of 25 disposals per match. In 2020, he played 8 matches for an average of 17.8 disposals. I think he made a greater contribution than you give him credit for.
fair enough..I am being a pissed off supporter.. 25 disposals is decent..but for only five matches

I must say, I think he's played two really good games!

And the thing is, when he turns the burners on and has a crack, he is robbing Peter to pay Paul and the next soft tissue injury comes a little closer....

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me: I miss Joffa already.

And Roger Fox.

Really can't afford to loose posters like them.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 6:00pm Reminds me: I miss Joffa already.

And Roger Fox.

He will be back. He only copped a weeks ban didn't he?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 6:10pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 6:00pm Reminds me: I miss Joffa already.

And Roger Fox.

He will be back. He only copped a weeks ban didn't he?
I hope so, if you can't disagree with someone on here, god help you at the footy or in life.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Admin forum has him listed as a permanent ban following his third 1 week suspension

asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol @ Scollop

you can’t prey on the footy gods

pray to the footy gods

no wonder were getting the rough end of the pineapple

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Just thought I’d check in…has he retired yet?

#1 Ryder fan
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 10:21pm Just thought I’d check in…has he retired yet?
No, but they're celebrating him getting out of the walking frame!