Interesting article re mid season draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Interesting article re mid season draft

https://www.afl.com.au/news/597235/why- ... n-t-happen

"Other notable 'delisted' players in the same category as Simpson include Matthew Kreuzer, Heath Shaw, Ben Stratton, Shane Savage and Lewis Jetta.

Hawthorn premiership backman James Frawley was also 'delisted', allowing a free passage for him to join St Kilda as a delisted free agent in the off-season.

Clubs will be able to select a player in the Mid-Season Draft if they left a spot open following the Rookie Draft/SSP, have seen a player retired or have moved a long-term injured player to the inactive list.

Fremantle, Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs don't currently have a list spot open for selection.

Gold Coast (four), St Kilda (four), Adelaide (three), Collingwood (two), Melbourne (two) and North Melbourne (two) currently have multiple selections"

Kreuzer or Savage guys??
Last edited by saynta on Tue 20 Apr 2021 11:24am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting article re mid season deraft

Kreuzer seems like a marked upgrade on our depth

Got nothing against Savage but have seen nothing to suggest we need him

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Don’t think he would want to leave Port Fairy to come to us.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Please no more has beens!

If the club doesnt take the 6 months to identify a number of kids/players not taken in last years draft, then the recruiting team need to stand down.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yep. We have four spots.

I would take advantage of that and try to get one or two 19 year olds at least.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 11:38pm Yep. We have four spots.

I would take advantage of that and try to get one or two 19 year olds at least.
Absolutely this. Find talent that was missed due to no junior comp last year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 9:16pm Please no more has beens!

If the club doesnt take the 6 months to identify a number of kids/players not taken in last years draft, then the recruiting team need to stand down.
Yep, agree with that.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 11:25am

Yep, agree with that.
Spot on, no more fill in has-beens or never-was in the case of 'slips through his fingers' please.

I was against recruiting the following players prior to their recruitment.
1. Hannebery
2. Ryder
3. McKernan
4. Frawley
5. Wood

I was obviously wrong about Ryder, but spot on about the others.
Why continue to clog our lists with guys injured, past it, or never at a decent ALF level such as Wood or 'slips through his fingers'.

For god sake use the 4 picks and a 5th if possible for Paton (LTI) and grab the best 5 kids who didn't get picked in last years draft and give them 6 months to see what they have.

Grab the best young development ruck like Bowman or Heath and a tall runner like Kolar as we are a bunch of midgets around the ball and flanks. A KPP in defence with size would be handy.

If we take another finished injury riddled player like Kruezer I will do a Terry Wallace and spew me guts up.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting article re mid season draft

Tyson Stengall is also eyeing a comeback through the mid season draft....no thanks. I agree with you. Jump in and grab the kids.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b4e4305765

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It seems Eddie McMagpie knows of about 80 AFL standard players at least out there waiting to fill two new teams. I guess out of spite Ed is not telling Collingwood but he might give us the good oil. Although Gaggs may already know where these chaps are, Riccardi of GWS was just up the road at Werribee; Freo seems to pluck no names from obscurity and make good players of them, perhaps there are others under our noses. You'd like to think we could snag one or two nuggets after so much fools gold, wouldn't you. Soon we will have to play the younger ones on our list to salvage something from the season.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 3:05pm
Spot on, no more fill in has-beens or never-was in the case of 'slips through his fingers' please.

1. Hannebery
2. Ryder
3. McKernan
4. Frawley
5. Wood

Why continue to clog our lists with guys injured, past it, or never at a decent ALF level such as Wood or 'slips through his fingers'.

For god sake use the 4 picks and a 5th if possible for Paton (LTI) and grab the best 5 kids who didn't get picked in last years draft and give them 6 months to see what they have.

Grab the best young development ruck like Bowman or Heath and a tall runner like Kolar as we are a bunch of midgets around the ball and flanks. A KPP in defence with size would be handy.

If we take another finished injury riddled player like Kruezer I will do a Terry Wallace and spew me guts up.
Sound reasoning because once Ryder and Marshall are both back in the team the list looks pretty well back to full strength, with Ben Paton and Jade Gresham the only real "best 22s" missing from last year's successful squad.

I like the idea of grabbing Max Heath as a future ruck prospect, plus any of the following that had been expected to be drafted last December but missed out:

1. Jackson Callow - 194 cm 100 kg Tasmanian forward - trained with Hawthorn but not picked up, huge prospect for me..
2. Henry Walsh - 203 cm 87 kg Geelong Falcons/Vic Country ruckman - brother of Carlton's # 1 draft pick Sam Walsh
3. Oliver Davis - 182 cm 75 kg Tasmanian midfielder
4. Xavier Maher - 184 cm 83 kg Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country inside midfielder
5. Liam Kolar - 195 cm 81 kg Cannon Knights/Vic Metro utility

Pick any one of these and St Kilda will have some great future talent to develop.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
seano1
Club Player

Heard Ross Smith been doing a bit of gym work, great mid could warm the pine with the others

Go kids ffs

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Thu 22 Apr 2021 7:11am Heard Ross Smith been doing a bit of gym work, great mid could warm the pine with the others

Go kids ffs
Big Carl looked in pretty good shape on The Front Bar a couple of weeks ago. Might be time for a come back.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yes, youth, but ...

The idea of " going for kids" sounds nice. I wonder if it is the optimal strategy a Melbourne club b for now? Teams like Hawthorn and Geelong have been successful over the last ten years by picking up talent other teams have paid in time, money, a precious space on their lists and whatever other resources to develop and nurture. Gold Coast and G Ws, with all their subsidies and support are nursery clubs and should be exploited for this. Look at Lynch at Richmond.Then opportunistic pickings aka Douglas Howard and Wilkie are other Hawatorn and Geelong trademarks.

On the other hand, Richmonds haw-than and Geelong are considered to be destination clubs so they get the cream. They get trained youth, experienced mid-careeras well as late career achievers- We get hannebery. I don't want St Kilda to become a nursery club by default.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 11:25am

Yep, agree with that.

1. Hannebery
2. Ryder
3. McKernan
4. Frawley
5. Wood

VOTE 1 - Joffa "Gaggs" Burns, you know it makes sense 👍👍👍

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As I posted this in the Draft thread - I watched the recent Sandringham v Dandenong game last night. There were a few over age players playing and Max Heath is a ruckman who could fall to us. He will grow into a Mumford type frame but still has a good leap and is a very good ruckman, palming it down to his mids really well.

Edwards is not as good a ruckman but is highly rated because of his around the ground play and forward line marking. Having said that I believe physically Heath has as much room for development as Edwards.

Melbourne had an exceptional ruckman NGA talent playing in sudanese Mac Andrew. Very thin but has a leap and quality skills.

Another over aged player was Darby Hipwell who is a quality inside midfielder, be worth a look at the mid season draft. He played a close checking role and did a good job.

Draft Centrals write up on Hipwell-

18 Darby Hipwell

The Sandringham co-captain is one who has actively recognised and worked on his deficiencies to produce some really solid form early this season. He racked up the equal-most disposals on Saturday with 27, working hard to not only win his usual possessions on the inside, but to also make his mark in all areas of the ground. Hipwell led with intent, using good strength at the contest and proving difficult to beat at ground level – as is expected of the 19th-year prospect. He brought a greater accumulation factor this time around and was able to penetrate both arcs too, making for a well-rounded midfield game. He could be one to now move in to the VFL system given his top-age status.

Bendigo -

Sam Conforti

The 19th-year prospect was as productive as any Pioneer on Sunday, ending as their most prolific ball winner with 23 touches. Rotating through the engine room from attacking 50, Conforti was his busy self at ground level and attended a high amount of stoppages. He exited traffic on a few occasions with good agility, using his nous to find a way forward or dish out quickly to bring others into the game. His best moment of the day came in the second term, as he showed great composure to baulk an opponent before letting fly from 50 metres for a terrific long goal.

Gippsland -

5 Chance Doultree

Won plenty of the ball in close, Doultree was able to amass more touches than anyone else on his team. He worked hard to push around the ground against the momentum and even kicked a goal in the last minute to bring the margin back to under 12 goals.

Western Jets -

26 Cody Raak

Raak was the General for the Jets defence having a say in most contests and rebounds inside defensive 50. The still weather allowed him to display his aerial prowess where he made good decisions to either mark or spoil the ball, being very effective at both. He read the flight of the ball terrifically, as well as the play where he opted to zone off from his opponent and intercept mark. After one particular intercept he earnt himself a free kick for holding the ball, highlighting his defensive ability both in the air and on the ground. Offensively, he kicked much more than he handballed, but that was partly because his teammates often looked for him to clear play. He was trusted with most of the kick outs and was efficient with his field kicking all game. Raak finished the game with 33 disposals (25 kicks), seven marks, and 10 rebound 50’s.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Get one ruck, two mids and a big backman

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We’ve got a big backman we won’t play there - Carlisle

And we have one back next week - Frawley

Why would we take on in the MSD?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The only one of the older brigade I would look at is Kreuzer on a contract until the end of the season.
That is only because Hunter made Nankervis look like Polly Farmer.
We cannot be forced to use either McKernon or Hunter as our number one ruck again they are simply no where near AFL quality rucks.
Go for one or even two of the younger rucks as a backup but you can't expect them to play this year.
I am not going to say which of the younger rucks to go for as I wouldn't have a clue about them.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 3:58pm

1. Hannebery
2. Ryder
3. McKernan
4. Frawley
5. Wood

Sound reasoning because once Ryder and Marshall are both back in the team the list looks pretty well back to full strength, with Ben Paton and Jade Gresham the only real "best 22s" missing from last year's successful squad.

I like the idea of grabbing Max Heath as a future ruck prospect, plus any of the following that had been expected to be drafted last December but missed out:

1. Jackson Callow - 194 cm 100 kg Tasmanian forward - trained with Hawthorn but not picked up, huge prospect for me..
2. Henry Walsh - 203 cm 87 kg Geelong Falcons/Vic Country ruckman - brother of Carlton's # 1 draft pick Sam Walsh

Pick any one of these and St Kilda will have some great future talent to develop.
And Hannebery of course. Plus I would put Chip Frawley in that "best 22" as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 3:58pm

1. Hannebery
2. Ryder
3. McKernan
4. Frawley
5. Wood

And Hannebery of course. Plus I would put Chip Frawley in that "best 22" as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saint 58
Club Player

When does Clavarino get a game ??

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 8:33pm When does Clavarino get a game ??
Watch last weeks game, he is a good overhead mark but has nothing else to his game. For a guy who has been in a professional environment for 4 years I cant believe his lack of physical development - he still looks like bambi running around.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:53pm
Saint 58 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 8:33pm When does Clavarino get a game ??
Watch last weeks game, he is a good overhead mark but has nothing else to his game. For a guy who has been in a professional environment for 4 years I cant believe his lack of physical development - he still looks like bambi running around.
I watched last weeks game and gotta say that comment seems like rubbish mate. Clav was probably our best and had plenty to his game.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:51am We’ve got a big backman we won’t play there - Carlisle

And we have one back next week - Frawley

Why would we take on in the MSD?
I believe the reason Ratts wont play Carlilse in defence is he has lost his speed after suffering years of back injuries.

Munga I will go as far as saying Clavarino wont be on our list next year. He simply doesnt have the physical traits to make it at the top level. Its exactly why we are desparate to attract another key defender.