Interesting comparison

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

repta
Club Player

Re: Interesting comparison

The Saints don't look fit.

One thing that always holds true. If you are tired you make mistakes. Our ball usage is dreadful.

Players dont 'lose' there skills. No amount of skills practice in a week will change anything. Skills are developed over time.

What does change is the ability to execute the skills. This skills ability is directly related to fatigue. A fatigued player will be more sloppy, make more errors, be later to the contest and need to make quicker decisions.

The only way of improving skills is to be in a better state (mentally and physically) when executing.
The only way to fix the skills is be fitter.

Look at the players that are struggling. Eg Hill looks fat (well he looks heavy) therefore it doesn't surprise that he cant burn off his opponents and when he does get the ball turns it over.
He is not alone on the team !!!

As for a first year player complaining about not being pushed hard enough. Just have a look at the average games of an AFL listed player (it is very low). If you want a long career at some point you need to take it on yourself to do the hard work.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Returning from a 20km run and three days in the gym young Allison gasped, what podcast. Strength through Loyalty.

The Billings Method
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 6:25am I may be missing something...
1st year player b1tching about being required to be at club for the day?

Senior players have always spent 4 or 5 hours at the club and headed off, at every team in every major sport.
A few hours of work out & physio, a team/coach chat, a few hours team work out on field and head home 12-1pm. That's standard.
Do you think they're going to stay on field running around for 5 hours and "get fit"? That's how injuries occur.

The young blokes do skills in the arvo and position specific coaching.

Don't believe the b.s. go sit at a club...Tigers do it, they train 6 am - 12pm - 4 days a week when there's a 6+ day game gap or 3 days a week when there less than 6.

This whole "we're not fit" b.s. are you really buying it? So pathetic. They were fit enough against GWS and West Coast but "lost" fitness inbetween? Moronic!!!

Fitness isn't our problem - key player injury without depth ( a 3-5 year historical error), structures out of whack without these key players, loss of confidence in self & team mates, playing top teams when we ARE mid shelf, carrying a few slackers....

Young morons & old morons.
Yeah. A kid who trains there full time knows far less than than you. Right 🙄

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The Billings Method
Club Player

One argument is we started our pre-season later because of finals and the Covid delayed season. The theory is we went a bit easier to avoid overloading the players. It may have backfired. I agree with other posters who have stated we have players who appear to lack conditioning.

Interestingly, last year all the talk was about the torturous preseason, with many players stating it was the hardest they'd ever done.

In any event, the story of this season will be told in the next four weeks. A combination of a series of devastating injuries and a hellish draw have stymied us. Not making excuses, but we've played Melbourne, WC, Richmond, Port and GWS in Sydney. 2-4 is not the disaster. The losing margins are.

Win the next two, or 3 of the next four and we are right back in the mix. Fingers crossed.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The Billings Method
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 9:14am
The Billings Method wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:20pm Matt Allison.
f*** him off.
That was my initial reaction, SaintPav. After further consideration, I thought, "Out of the mouths of babes." I'm probably a man of my generation and believe he should have kept his mouth shut, but maybe it might give the playing group pause for thought.

Can't see Matt getting too many invites to other players' parties etc.
Last edited by The Billings Method on Thu 29 Apr 2021 12:21am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:35pm

Senior players have always spent 4 or 5 hours at the club and headed off, at every team in every major sport.
A few hours of work out & physio, a team/coach chat, a few hours team work out on field and head home 12-1pm. That's standard.
Do you think they're going to stay on field running around for 5 hours and "get fit"? That's how injuries occur.

Don't believe the b.s. go sit at a club...Tigers do it, they train 6 am - 12pm - 4 days a week when there's a 6+ day game gap or 3 days a week when there less than 6.

This whole "we're not fit" b.s. are you really buying it? So pathetic. They were fit enough against GWS and West Coast but "lost" fitness inbetween? Moronic!!!

Fitness isn't our problem - key player injury without depth ( a 3-5 year historical error), structures out of whack without these key players, loss of confidence in self & team mates, playing top teams when we ARE mid shelf, carrying a few slackers....

I been to 4 training sessions this year. I know for a fact the exact training schedule for players broken down into years played groups, I've held it in my hands and read it. He's a lying mongrel and the club have read him the riot act to the point they said he can leave at any time. I'm told he was upset because his group had to wait to use facilities that 1st team used in the morning and he had to wait until afternoon. He was confronted by the leadership group and I don't know what was said but he supposedly came away almost in tears.
That a load more than you know, isn't it? 😜

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If it was Matty

He’s got bigger things to worry about?!

Like getting a kick in the VFL

he looked 1000 miles of it on the weekend!!!

The Billings Method
Club Player

I nice piece of fantasy. What is your official role at the club that you are given the training manifesto? Please tell us. I call bulls***. I know more than you as I called it first, but thanks for your input.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they should just train Tuesday and Thursday nights like we did at the local club level in the olden days. :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:54pm

I been to 4 training sessions this year. I know for a fact the exact training schedule for players broken down into years played groups, I've held it in my hands and read it. He's a lying mongrel and the club have read him the riot act to the point they said he can leave at any time. I'm told he was upset because his group had to wait to use facilities that 1st team used in the morning and he had to wait until afternoon. He was confronted by the leadership group and I don't know what was said but he supposedly came away almost in tears.
So a club “groupie” knows more than a listed kid?
Just grab autographs mate and stop dribbling
We’ve won 5 friggen quarters for the year, have a % in the 60s, been belted 3 times this season already and can’t run to save ourselves to stop uncontested possessions or create some we’ve also faded bad after half time in 3 spankings
Get off the delusional pills
Players aren’t fit go watch Port again if you need a dose

“Yeah….nah””
MickThomas
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:57pm If it was Matty

The Saints App has details on the VFL game. It mentions Matty was on the wing, and gathered the amazing tally of 6 touches.
Was it a typo, or is it true :oops:

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I didn’t see him get 1 possession so 6 is better than I thought?!

He was ordinary to say the least

outside66
Club Player

For those who are having a crack at Allison perhaps have a listen to what he says first before making judgement re him dissing his teammates and what-not. It was an interesting listen and he offered some raw transparency/insight to our program (not something that we as St Kilda supporters are really used to tbh). If you don't want to listen to the whole thing then tune in from 13 minutes where he shares his biggest surprise at arriving to an AFL club which was the opposite to what Granger-Barrass had said about Hawthorn's program.

https://shows.acast.com/where-do-we-beg ... ew-allison

Sanctorum
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:37am For those who are having a crack at Allison perhaps have a listen to what he says first before making judgement re him dissing his teammates and what-not. It was an interesting listen and he offered some raw transparency/insight to our program (not something that we as St Kilda supporters are really used to tbh). If you don't want to listen to the whole thing then tune in from 13 minutes where he shares his biggest surprise at arriving to an AFL club which was the opposite to what Granger-Barrass had said about Hawthorn's program.

Thanks outside66 for this link to the actual podcast, which throws an entirely different light on the following statement made by the original poster, that are totally misleading:

"Somewhat foolishly, our bloke went on an obscure podcast with his hawk's mate and lamented the lack of intensity and workload he's experienced at Moorabbin. He claimed the standard was not what he expected as those itk suggested he'd struggle to keep up. He hasn't, adding that the senior players rarely hang around after midday and hardly any do extra work."

In the podcast "our bloke" (Matthew Allison) did not go on there with his "hawk's mate" (Granger-Barrass) and did not make any disparaging or derogatory comments about either the standards of training, or that any senior players "hardly do extra work". The comments by Granger-Barrass on training at Hawthorn were quoted by the podcast host from a separate interview with the Hawthorn player at an earlier time.

This is a serious breach of ethics and quite outrageous because it unfairly slanders Matthew Allison in the eyes of Saints supporters and resulted in a lot of adverse comments about Allison on this forum.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
amusingname
Club Player

Just listened to that podcast, nothing really alarming there and didn't lament anything, just was surprised that he wasn't at the club like an 8 hour working day, also praised the fitness staff for looking after the players and making sure they can recover.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:57pm If it was Matty

Agree he might fit the athletic profile we need, but he has absolutley no game smarts and is another who avoids contact in the two games I've seen.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Having listened to the podcast, the real fantasy in this thread is the OP. Is there a leadership group here that could have a talk to him, or someonr just pass him a tissue, there is something stuck on his lip.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Any comments forthcoming from the OP?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

He sounds like a pretty good kid to me

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:16pm

We’ve won 5 friggen quarters for the year, have a % in the 60s, been belted 3 times this season already and can’t run to save ourselves to stop uncontested possessions or create some we’ve also faded bad after half time in 3 spankings

Oh great wise one...you have spoken (sh1te).

So you are saying we were fit in West Coast with a game plan and the VERY NEXT WEEK, not fit and no game plan?

I know why you mention delusional pills now....

Every AFL team operates with a player group system. It's not St. Kilda's. It's the way to manage players and coach specific skill sets, game plans etc.
Have you any idea how a AFL club operates? I'm not be an ass now, I'm serious. Do any of you actually spend time at the club? Not to gain autographs but because of significant financial, personal and emotional investment in the team for 41 years?
Ross Lyon had senior starters at the club 3 days a week from 7am to 11 am. FACT.

Grant did staggered sessions and they were at the club 6 hours 4 times a week.

I'm not a know it all, far from it. I actually thought this was common knowledge of AFL club practices - no one has the lads everyday 8 hours a day, UNLESS they are newbies.

I cracked the shitz because this twerp almost had a mental health crisis because he had to work harder and ran the club down and supposed supporters on here are so eager for negatives to run with they jump on and bag the club.

I'm sick of it.

If you dont comprehend why we have had such poor outcomes, then by all means grasp at every straw.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 8:59pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:16pm

Oh great wise one...you have spoken (sh1te).

So you are saying we were fit in West Coast with a game plan and the VERY NEXT WEEK, not fit and no game plan?

I know why you mention delusional pills now....

Every AFL team operates with a player group system. It's not St. Kilda's. It's the way to manage players and coach specific skill sets, game plans etc.
Have you any idea how a AFL club operates? I'm not be an ass now, I'm serious. Do any of you actually spend time at the club? Not to gain autographs but because of significant financial, personal and emotional investment in the team for 41 years?
Ross Lyon had senior starters at the club 3 days a week from 7am to 11 am. FACT.

Grant did staggered sessions and they were at the club 6 hours 4 times a week.

I'm not a know it all, far from it. I actually thought this was common knowledge of AFL club practices - no one has the lads everyday 8 hours a day, UNLESS they are newbies.

I cracked the shitz because this twerp almost had a mental health crisis because he had to work harder and ran the club down and supposed supporters on here are so eager for negatives to run with they jump on and bag the club.

I'm sick of it.

If you dont comprehend why we have had such poor outcomes, then by all means grasp at every straw.
I no couldn’t give a fork if they’re at the club 12 hours a day playing marbles plenty of REAL AFL people (not souped up groupies hanging round the lockers) have come out and said WE ARE NOT FIT ENOUGH we have won 5 quarters for the year genius FACT - you keep re-living your West Coast win (who aren’t travelling that well I might addd..) while the rest of the good sides rack up uncontested ball against us because we can’t go with them.

“Yeah….nah””
The Billings Method
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 1:28pm
outside66 wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:37am For those who are having a crack at Allison perhaps have a listen to what he says first before making judgement re him dissing his teammates and what-not. It was an interesting listen and he offered some raw transparency/insight to our program (not something that we as St Kilda supporters are really used to tbh). If you don't want to listen to the whole thing then tune in from 13 minutes where he shares his biggest surprise at arriving to an AFL club which was the opposite to what Granger-Barrass had said about Hawthorn's program.

Thanks outside66 for this link to the actual podcast, which throws an entirely different light on the following statement made by the original poster, that are totally misleading:

"Somewhat foolishly, our bloke went on an obscure podcast with his hawk's mate and lamented the lack of intensity and workload he's experienced at Moorabbin. He claimed the standard was not what he expected as those itk suggested he'd struggle to keep up. He hasn't, adding that the senior players rarely hang around after midday and hardly any do extra work."

In the podcast "our bloke" (Matthew Allison) did not go on there with his "hawk's mate" (Granger-Barrass) and did not make any disparaging or derogatory comments about either the standards of training, or that any senior players "hardly do extra work". The comments by Granger-Barrass on training at Hawthorn were quoted by the podcast host from a separate interview with the Hawthorn player at an earlier time.

This is a serious breach of ethics and quite outrageous because it unfairly slanders Matthew Allison in the eyes of Saints supporters and resulted in a lot of adverse comments about Allison on this forum.
So Saint Lee is wrong? He didn't make the comments? Wasn't " almost in tears when pulled up by senior players?" Unfairly slandered? You need to acquaint yourself with the facts and the rules if slander. The young boy farked up. So Saints to defend the indefensible. No wonder we're a rabble. You're part of the problem.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I still don't think either of you had actually heard the podcast before this discussion took off. The OP is completely made up. None of it is true.
'My son has a mate who was drafted by Hawthorn, who made up a story about being at a podcast with Allison and reckons he said a whole heap of crap he didnt actually say. FFS.
Then Saint-Lee and TBM method have a pissing competition over who has the best inside info.
Anyone who believes this kid has done anything wrong is just a victim of exposure to bulls***. Being upset because you have nothing to be happy about is one thing but making up s***, then selling it as inside info because think it makes you look informed is delusional.
Then we have the 'he told more lies than me justification"
Go find something else to think about for a while guys. You're ust clogging up the forum with dribble.

The Billings Method
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 12:56am I still don't think either of you had actually heard the podcast before this discussion took off. The OP is completely made up. None of it is true.
'My son has a mate who was drafted by Hawthorn, who made up a story about being at a podcast with Allison and reckons he said a whole heap of crap he didnt actually say. FFS.
Then Saint-Lee and TBM method have a pissing competition over who has the best inside info.
Anyone who believes this kid has done anything wrong is just a victim of exposure to bulls***. Being upset because you have nothing to be happy about is one thing but making up s***, then selling it as inside info because think it makes you look informed is delusional.
Go find something else to think about for a while guys. You're ust clogging up the forum with dribble.
You are a joke, then have a stab with your reverse, privileged racism. You pollutte this forum with your faux aboriginal activism. SaintLee and I are in furious agreement of the facts if you could park your own racism for a minute and read the facts. The boy said what we allege was said. Those are facts. I know they are anathema to activists like you. Take some time to retreat into your own echo chamber of victimhood and irresponsibility.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 1:08am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 12:56am I still don't think either of you had actually heard the podcast before this discussion took off. The OP is completely made up. None of it is true.
You are a joke, then have a stab with your reverse, privileged racism. You pollutte this forum with your faux aboriginal activism. SaintLee and I are in furious agreement of the facts if you could park your own racism for a minute and read the facts. The boy said what we allege was said. Those are facts. I know they are anathema to activists like you. Take some time to retreat into your own echo chamber of victimhood and irresponsibility.
:roll: you're funny. Furious agreement! :lol: :lol: :lol: