85 Tackles for 3 Frees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: 85 Tackles for 3 Frees

saynta wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:04am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:59am
Mr Magic wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:57am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:53am Hawkins no 50 for Howard moving on the mark.

No free for jumping on Touheys head over the boundary.

12-13 frees, mistakes went both ways

What’s the correct ratio for tackles-to-free kicks?

If only we had an ex-player umpiring to help us out...
Of course you’re correct again (as usual)
We got a fantastic run from the umpires all night

Rattan has no idea about the game
You should offer to assist him on understanding the rules and how the game is supposed to be played
Re-read my post, did I say mistakes didn’t go against us?

Maybe Ratten and all his assistants should be focussing more in 5.17 than a few umpiring mistakes.
A FEW ? A f****** few? Open your other f****** eye dud one. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You’re obsession with me is getting a bit worrying :?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:05am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:53am Hawkins no 50 for Howard moving on the mark.

You should offer to assist him on understanding the rules and how the game is supposed to be played

Maybe Ratten and all his assistants should be focussing more in 5.17 than a few umpiring mistakes.
I missed your insightful analysis last week
Good shout
For anyone not to see and call that game for what it was - poorly umpired is dumb
We still should’ve kicked straight and win against Cats and maggots but bad kicking...
Ratten was right to call it - zero reward for great tackling effort
We all know 12-13 isn’t the true measure of a lopsided umpiring game...it’s where u get those frees and at what point in a match....5 frees in defence in junk time after it’s over mean nothing
Anyway Geelong coach said it “I think we were a bit lucky”
Yup

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:19am
Good shout
We all know 12-13 isn’t the true measure of a lopsided umpiring game...it’s where u get those frees and at what point in a match....5 frees in defence in junk time after it’s over mean nothing
It is also the frees that don't get paid - and the other impact - like play on calls etc - 12-13 does not describe the 'vibe of the thing'.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:12am
saynta wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:04am

A FEW ? A f****** few? Open your other f****** eye dud one. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You’re obsession with me is getting a bit worrying :?
The obsession is the other way around MM. :roll:

As teflon said above"

"Good shout
For anyone not to see and call that game for what it was - poorly umpired is dumb
We still should’ve kicked straight and win against Cats and maggots but bad kicking...
Ratten was right to call it - zero reward for great tackling effort
Anyway Geelong coach said it “I think we were a bit lucky”
Yup"

stkfc1
Club Player

Anyone defending the umpiring tonight should start following another game. I can cop a few missed descions. We had a few go our way also, but the blatant ones that were missed tonight was bordering on flat out incompetence. Ratts had every right to bring it up as the umps do need to be held to account. Our kicking cost us the game, but the umps still have to be looked at. They failed at their jobs tonight.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Interesting stat!
85 tackles for I assume 3 X holding the ball decisions.
Looks very damning in isolation, doesn't it? But stats can do that.

What I would like to know is what is an AFL ratio of tackles to free kicks over a season to understand how lop sided the count in this game was.

Watching live I thought that we tackled unbelievably well and far more aggressively than Geelong particularly in Q2 were we went unrewarded for the large part as the umpires put away the whistles until the Butler free and goal. Other than Q2 I didn't notice a lot of influence either way and thought both teams received and missed some shockers.

Anyone know a relevant number of tackles to frees as a comparison point?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 2:15pm Interesting stat!

What I would like to know is what is an AFL ratio of tackles to free kicks over a season to understand how lop sided the count in this game was.

Watching live I thought that we tackled unbelievably well and far more aggressively than Geelong particularly in Q2 were we went unrewarded for the large part as the umpires put away the whistles until the Butler free and goal. Other than Q2 I didn't notice a lot of influence either way and thought both teams received and missed some shockers.

From the media discussion I heard yesterday there seems more consternation over the non-penalizing of illegal disposals resultant from the tackles than the non-rewarding of HTB.

There will surely be an overcorrection this week, most probably in our game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Rats may have also have being tactical.

Yes Cats are big throwers, but Dogs are even bigger throwers and we play them next.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 2:15pm Interesting stat!

Interesting JB, I'm not sure what that will actually prove except the systematic allowing of incorrect disposals to allow the game to "flow" / "speed up", which, ironically, is self defeating.

Too much / many interpretive rules. Let's make them black & white. I'm way past the angst of consistent rule tampering / changing. It is time to make our game future proof & watchable. I've had a gut full of its trajectory.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 5:33pm
Interesting JB, I'm not sure what that will actually prove except the systematic allowing of incorrect disposals to allow the game to "flow" / "speed up", which, ironically, is self defeating.

Too much / many interpretive rules. Let's make them black & white. I'm way past the angst of consistent rule tampering / changing. It is time to make our game future proof & watchable. I've had a gut full of its trajectory.
I have always said that the rule for over the shoulder / below the knees / dangerous tackle should only be the latter - touch someone on the shoulder - not dangerous - play on - these little taps to a players shoulder resulting in a free is ridiculous

Umpire interpret a lot of things - surely they can interpret dangerous.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Something I didn't want to accept, but now do, is that for any given match the umpires have complete discretion as to what the rules will be and how they will be applied to each team with no commitment to being even handed; they can make up a new set or sets loosely based on the written variety and apply them merrily. There is nothing to stop them and it frequently happens. There is typically no accountability as winning team does not see a problem and loser has no redress, the points and percentage are gone. E.G.s we know: Eleni has a different world view from most and Razor will be vindictive if criticized. Other umpires have similar flaws to different degrees. The AFL condones this, the umpires union strongly defends this with stock standard apologetic platitudes. The way to stop it is a VAR/Captain's challenge system (Cricket already acknowledges umpires get big decisions wrong often enough to require review by third party) but that is unworkable in our game. I think it is particularly hard for us to make the finals again because we simply do not get an even playing field with umps over the season in a macro sense i.e. no point labouring individual decisions just look at the aggregate effect of poor umpiring on our results. They generally seem to see us as chumps to be punished in sufficient enough games to make getting 12 to 13 wins a big ask. I'd like to see a footy show that reviews the umpiring in each game and gets the AFL Director of umpiring to explain differences in interpretation as between what a rational member might expect and what was dished up. And why.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 3:07pm I think Rats may have also have being tactical.

Yes Cats are big throwers, but Dogs are even bigger throwers and we play them next.
what Im sitting back smiling about is if the whinge came from Scott ( as they do often in the coaches box and post game interviews) EVERYONE in this thread would be getting stuck into him
Apart from a beautiful rugby pass on the near wing when the umpire was blindsided there is no rule in the books where a tackle immediately results in a free kick. I do think there might be a mid-season assessment and maybe adjustment - but a rule change would be more likely at the end of the year.

Ratts had a clear game plan to tackle the bejeebies out of them and stifle any of their precise ball movement.
And it worked unbelievably well - all except for the goal kicking

Seeya
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Interesting stat!

Anything less than 85 is not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 6:18pm Something I didn't want to accept, but now do, is that for any given match the umpires have complete discretion as to what the rules will be and how they will be applied to each team with no commitment to being even handed; they can make up a new set or sets loosely based on the written variety and apply them merrily. There is nothing to stop them and it frequently happens. There is typically no accountability as winning team does not see a problem and loser has no redress, the points and percentage are gone. E.G.s we know: Eleni has a different world view from most and Razor will be vindictive if criticized. Other umpires have similar flaws to different degrees. The AFL condones this, the umpires union strongly defends this with stock standard apologetic platitudes. The way to stop it is a VAR/Captain's challenge system (Cricket already acknowledges umpires get big decisions wrong often enough to require review by third party) but that is unworkable in our game. I think it is particularly hard for us to make the finals again because we simply do not get an even playing field with umps over the season in a macro sense i.e. no point labouring individual decisions just look at the aggregate effect of poor umpiring on our results. They generally seem to see us as chumps to be punished in sufficient enough games to make getting 12 to 13 wins a big ask. I'd like to see a footy show that reviews the umpiring in each game and gets the AFL Director of umpiring to explain differences in interpretation as between what a rational member might expect and what was dished up. And why.
I like your post Yorkeys but I wish you'd also accepted that paragraphs are important.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 6:18pm Something I didn't want to accept, but now do, is that for any given match the umpires have complete discretion as to what the rules will be and how they will be applied to each team with no commitment to being even handed; they can make up a new set or sets loosely based on the written variety and apply them merrily. There is nothing to stop them and it frequently happens. There is typically no accountability as winning team does not see a problem and loser has no redress, the points and percentage are gone. E.G.s we know: Eleni has a different world view from most and Razor will be vindictive if criticized. Other umpires have similar flaws to different degrees. The AFL condones this, the umpires union strongly defends this with stock standard apologetic platitudes. The way to stop it is a VAR/Captain's challenge system (Cricket already acknowledges umpires get big decisions wrong often enough to require review by third party) but that is unworkable in our game. I think it is particularly hard for us to make the finals again because we simply do not get an even playing field with umps over the season in a macro sense i.e. no point labouring individual decisions just look at the aggregate effect of poor umpiring on our results. They generally seem to see us as chumps to be punished in sufficient enough games to make getting 12 to 13 wins a big ask. I'd like to see a footy show that reviews the umpiring in each game and gets the AFL Director of umpiring to explain differences in interpretation as between what a rational member might expect and what was dished up. And why.
Super post could not agree more
In the interest of not criticising umpires we’ve given them cart blanche to make it up game by game ....winners/big clubs are doing ok on that score I’m certain

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

It's very much a mind set thing from the umpires and the tone has to be set before the game. To not reward correct tackles like they did in the Geelong game has to be a direction but from who?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 7:15pm
I like your post Yorkeys but I wish you'd also accepted that paragraphs are important.
Yes, for an intelligent, well written and logical poster, Yorkeys posts are very difficult to read given his/her refusal to break into paragraphs.

I personally find them hard to read, though the content is usually worth the effort.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sorry. Been chatted for that before and have relapsed. Poor form.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The AFL agrees with Ratts.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that there were 4 holding the ball frees paid in our game Friday night and 21 htb frees paid on the Sunday arvo game Dees v Blues they tell me on one of the footy shows last night. Over correction in the same round or what?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep, the maggots screwed us so good even dudly shouldn't be able to defend them.