Impact of injury situation on mid season draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impact of injury situation on mid season draft.

Do you see it playing a role in us looking to pick up someone?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Impact of injury situation on mid season draft.

Ideally, a ruckman who is at least competitive.

Marshall is going to be very difficult to cover over the next six weeks. Structurally, it leaves us without a foil for King up forward and God help us in the ruck if Paddy should also fall over.

Who can hold down CHF in Marshall’s absence? Membrey’s not quite a key position.
Battle? Has been tried forward but hasn’t really grabbed the opportunity. Carlisle? Probably not. McKernan ditto. Coffield? Good hands, reads the play well, but, like Membrey, not really key position. Maybe worth a try?

Anyway, got to find someone who can play a role up forward because otherwise it’s long bombs to King. A serviceable ruckman would at least allow Ryder to drift forward.

If there is no decent ruckmen about, I’m not against us having a look at Nathan Freeman. Can always find a spot for a ball-magnet midfielder.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 2:08am Ideally, a ruckman who is at least competitive.

Marshall is going to be very difficult to cover over the next six weeks. Structurally, it leaves us without a foil for King up forward and God help us in the ruck if Paddy should also fall over.

Who can hold down CHF in Marshall’s absence? Membrey’s not quite a key position.
Battle? Has been tried forward but hasn’t really grabbed the opportunity. Carlisle? Probably not. McKernan ditto. Coffield? Good hands, reads the play well, but, like Membrey, not really key position. Maybe worth a try?

Anyway, got to find someone who can play a role up forward because otherwise it’s long bombs to King. A serviceable ruckman would at least allow Ryder to drift forward.

If there is no decent ruckmen about, I’m not against us having a look at Nathan Freeman. Can always find a spot for a ball-magnet midfielder.
Yes, WBulldogs won last night without either of their main Ruckman..but they had Bruce up forward who is like a 0.5 ruckman I guess.

People hear say McKernan is a complete dud. What can I say? I have not seen enough. We bagged Hickey and now look at him? But the ruck seems to have three main roles,

1) tap out at ball ups...
2) tall link man or interceptor around the ground
3) alternative forward goal kicking target

I suppose McKernan fails in an least two of these. Marshall was sufficient at 1) and above average at 2) and 3)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 12:17pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 2:08am Ideally, a ruckman who is at least competitive.

Yes, WBulldogs won last night without either of their main Ruckman..but they had Bruce up forward who is like a 0.5 ruckman I guess.

People hear say McKernan is a complete dud. What can I say? I have not seen enough. We bagged Hickey and now look at him? But the ruck seems to have three main roles,

1) tap out at ball ups...
2) tall link man or interceptor around the ground
3) alternative forward goal kicking target

I suppose McKernan fails in an least two of these. Marshall was sufficient at 1) and above average at 2) and 3)
To be honest, I haven’t seen enough of McKernan either. I did sense that he is no Rowan Marshall though

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Against Williamstown on Saturday Key forward Shaun McKernan impressed up forward with 3.1 and five marks.
They should bring him in to replace Marshall, leave him in until Marshall returns.

Midfielder Luke Dunstan has continued his scintillating VFL form, finishing with 36 disposals, 10 marks and 2.1 in Sandringham’s nine-point win over Williamstown on Saturday.
Should bring Dunstan in as well against the Dogs.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 12:50pm Against Williamstown on Saturday Key forward Shaun McKernan impressed up forward with 3.1 and five marks.
They should bring him in to replace Marshall, leave him in until Marshall returns.

Midfielder Luke Dunstan has continued his scintillating VFL form, finishing with 36 disposals, 10 marks and 2.1 in Sandringham’s nine-point win over Williamstown on Saturday.
Yes..then..finally, we should give McKernan a chance.

He must have really pissed people off here in one of those early games.

Sanctorum
Club Player

The MSD offers the Saints and opportunity to bring in some of the young blokes that missed selection from last year's NAB draft and on another thread I have listed three that I believe should be considered, which includes a ruckman (Max Heath or Henry Walsh), a tall forward who's ready to play immediately (Jackson Callow) and a Clermont Tasmania B&F mid (Ollie Davis). OK, that's four...not sure if I'd give another chance to Nat Freeman but that's up to the club.

From memory St Kilda currently has 4 spots still unfilled, to which they could possibly add the 2 players out for the season, Ben Paton and Jade Gresham.

I would have thought that this is a perfect opportunity for the club to try out some of the available talent that's around, and offer permanent contracts to any that do.

Looking to the end of the year, there may well be some additional vacancies on the list due to retirements or delistings, which could include one or more of the following:

Luke Dunstan - find it hard to see him get a game ahead of B1 and B2 (Bytel and Byrnes).
Jarryn Geary - surely the last year for this ageing stalwart.
Dean Kent - 28 next year and not going to get any better.
Daniel McKenzie - definitely not "best 25".
Ben Long - unless he makes a vast turnaround in his performance in the remaining games (i.e. if he's even selected) there's no point him remaining, could possibly fetch a trade...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The cupboard is bare.

Geary if fit in for Long.

McKernan will have to play but he doesnt deserve more games, will simply have nothing else.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

We should absolutely take the chance to get in some young players and develop them for half a season.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Finals not looking likely (and 7-8 at the very best) so plan for the future.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 7:06pm We should absolutely take the chance to get in some young players and develop them for half a season.
100%

Can't believe our recruiting this year to date:

Slips through his fingers - was never more than D grade AFL standard
Wood - talented but another D grade AFL player who plays with very little aggression
Frawley - was a good player in his day but done and dusted

I don't have an issue with the Hunter recruitment, he was an untried talent and was at least not a known has-been or never was.

Now some supporters are spruiking for Freeman to be recruited FFS :roll:
Probably the same people who back recruiting Hannebery :lol:

It is our opportunity to invest in some young talent who missed last season due to the unusual circumstances. Buy for the future saints!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle will come in for Marshall to be that tall in attack and second ruck.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 12:50pm Against Williamstown on Saturday Key forward Shaun McKernan impressed up forward with 3.1 and five marks.

I'd rather Dustan in the ruck than McKernan.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 9:05am

I'd rather Dustan in the ruck than McKernan.
Dunstan probably has a better leap than Hunter, Mckernan can take a contested mark up forward, you just never know which week he will do it.,

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

We certainly need another ruck but we have Hunter and "slips through his fingers" as back up.
Another speculative ruck (like Goddard at Frankston) could be another wasted spot.

I'd love to rookie a young ruck or two that missed out in last years draft and see if we can develop them.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.