The we’re not fit MYTH

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: The we’re not fit MYTH

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:18pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:09pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:45pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:41pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:21pm I would take the word of Crouch before some of the posters on this forum .
Well how did Crouch account for the significant drop off in games?
Players constantly trailing their opponents to contests?
A complete lack of run from behind or link up play?

Players are well schooled by the clubs in what questions to expect in interviews and have answers ready to suit.
f***ed if I know mate, I didn't listen to the f****** interview, but I am with the recruit here, why the f*** would he lie and make crap up.

What you are doing is calling him a liar. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The first sentence means - who else would have as much interest in putting a positive shine on the issue?

Like asking Rio Tinto for their rationale on blowing up the Jukkan Gorge, or a big pharmaceutical company about their research...you know that you will only get one side of the story.

Brad Crouch isn't likely to say about the club he has just joined : yeah I think we're below par for fitness....

No-ome is suggesting that they are completely unfit, but if you're 2-3% down against the oppo clubs you get found out.

I actually think we have some very fit players, I reckon Sinclair looks fitter than he ever has.

But the team overall seems to lack pace and stamina, and they look tired very early in games.

Not just once or twice but most games.

We had an extra day on the Doggies for recovery, so it is a pattern, and in the end you have to conclude maybe they aren't as fit as they should be.

Why is that so controversial?
Thanks for the enlightenment. :roll: So you also say that Crouch is telling fibs?

I don' t know if they are fit or not, but Crouch says they are and any talk to the contrary is rubbish.

He knows more than me and I don't accept that the club tells him to lie or send up smoke screens. Would be far easier just to refuse him permission to be interviewed.

There is a problem with the team this year with the drop off in performance in some games, but not in others. They ran over the top of Weagles for example.

If it's fitness, then that's easy fixed, but personally. I think the problems go far deeper than that.
Stop being so bloody ignorant. As if the club wouldnt have scanned the media and read Malthouse's article and gave Crouch a heads up before his interview. Any professional organisation preps their staff before media interviews, the radio station themselves often provide a list of expected questions before hand.

To suggest that Crouch wasnt schooled before the interview is complete ignorance.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:40pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 5:21pm I would take the word of Crouch before some of the posters on this forum .

Players are well schooled by the clubs in what questions to expect in interviews and have answers ready to suit.
f***ed if I know mate, I didn't listen to the f****** interview, but I am with the recruit here, why the f*** would he lie and make crap up.

The first sentence means - who else would have as much interest in putting a positive shine on the issue?

Like asking Rio Tinto for their rationale on blowing up the Jukkan Gorge, or a big pharmaceutical company about their research...you know that you will only get one side of the story.

Brad Crouch isn't likely to say about the club he has just joined : yeah I think we're below par for fitness....

No-ome is suggesting that they are completely unfit, but if you're 2-3% down against the oppo clubs you get found out.

I actually think we have some very fit players, I reckon Sinclair looks fitter than he ever has.

But the team overall seems to lack pace and stamina, and they look tired very early in games.

We had an extra day on the Doggies for recovery, so it is a pattern, and in the end you have to conclude maybe they aren't as fit as they should be.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :roll: So you also say that Crouch is telling fibs?

I don' t know if they are fit or not, but Crouch says they are and any talk to the contrary is rubbish.

He knows more than me and I don't accept that the club tells him to lie or send up smoke screens. Would be far easier just to refuse him permission to be interviewed.

There is a problem with the team this year with the drop off in performance in some games, but not in others. They ran over the top of Weagles for example.

If it's fitness, then that's easy fixed, but personally. I think the problems go far deeper than that.
Stop being so bloody ignorant. As if the club wouldnt have scanned the media and read Malthouse's article and gave Crouch a heads up before his interview. Any professional organisation preps their staff before media interviews, the radio station themselves often provide a list of expected questions before hand.

To suggest that Crouch wasnt schooled before the interview is complete ignorance.

That may be true but I’m 💯 sure they didn’t tell him to lie about elite times.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ignorant am I. Bahaha, You sticking with the Crouch is a lie" line are you? f*** me, I might be ignorant but you are f****** offensive. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I never said, at any time that the club, wouldn't have, didn't do, or would never prep a player. Of course they do. All I have maintained all along is that Crouch would not have been told to lie when such a lie would be easily proven.

So get off your f****** high horse. :roll:

Crouch said that he was amazed at the elite times turned in, in the time trial. I believe him and I really don't give a stuff if you don't. No reason to insult the man though. Me either for that matter. :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Sun 30 May 2021 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Why say "MYTH" in the title and not back it up with some logical discussion?

I've seen with my own eyes our guys looks unfit almost every week. If someone can explain why they think we're fit but look unfit I'd love to know.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:49pm Why say "MYTH" in the title and not back it up with some logical discussion?

I've seen with my own eyes our guys looks unfit almost every week. If someone can explain why they think we're fit but look unfit I'd love to know.
I don't know the answer to that I might ask an ITK but.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Geez, why so defensive Saynta?

You've never been sceptical of press releases?

You don't have to even say he was lying, he just Sir Humphrey style.. is selective in his recollections.

The whole club is under the pump, the organisation has to put up a front, I'd be surprised if they didn't.
In fact that would be alarm bells if players came out mid season saying they were a bit underdone.

So that's why it isn't really a credible source.

If that doesn't make sense I've got a great second hand Mazda to sell you.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:04pm Geez, why so defensive Saynta?

You've never been sceptical of press releases?

You don't have to even say he was lying, he just Sir Humphrey style.. is selective in his recollections.

The whole club is under the pump, the organisation has to put up a front, I'd be surprised if they didn't.
In fact that would be alarm bells if players came out mid season saying they were a bit underdone.

So that's why it isn't really a credible source.

If that doesn't make sense I've got a great second hand Mazda to sell you.
Nah mate, just sold a MX 5 in perfect condition but still have a RX 7 Anniversary model with just over 50,000k's on the clock. As new condition too as it is only driven rarely.

Love Mazdas, but only the sporty type.

And for the record, I have never seen a press release that was 100% correct when I have known all the facts.

But I a not prepared to call Crouch a liar over something I remember to be true at the time.

I have asked my ITK at the club for his opinion on fitness and will be interested in his reply. which unfortunately I will be unable to share here.

Carn the saints.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I wonder what Crouch would have said to the press previously if they asked if he liked having the occasional nose-beer?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:48pm

What does that prove, that we had a couple of players like Geary, McKenzie & Hill can run a good 3km time trial, during some point in the preseason. How does that equate to match fitness which is continued sprints and efforts? We know Hill runs kms per game but cant get a touch, so does Geary & McKenzie. Its a collective fitness issue and the GPS data supports that the team arent working hard enough.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 8:29pm

What does that prove, that we had a couple of players like Geary, McKenzie & Hill can run a good 3km time trial, during some point in the preseason. How does that equate to match fitness which is continued sprints and efforts? We know Hill runs kms per game but cant get a touch, so does Geary & McKenzie. Its a collective fitness issue and the GPS data supports that the team arent working hard enough.
Where is this GPS data you speak of???

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 8:29pm

Prove it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Their all suffering from that HUUUUUUge Finals win hangover

It had been 10 years since we won an Elimination final :wink: :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

OK, so the lads are fit because some ran times that Crouch couldn't believe. Those trials were pre season. If they do not continue to work on their fitness, they lose it. For those whose time trials didn't blow Crouch's mind, they are even worse off.

We all have our opinion on their fitness, their two way running is lacking, especially for a team that is meant to expose sides at Marvel. Malthouse's opinion carries some weight when he assesses a side's running ability.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Since looks fit.

Don’t know about the others.

Players across the comp are struggling.

Game speeds up year-on-year

Game speeds were turbocharged last year due to 15 min quarters and hub may have meant boot camp like fitness

Last quarter we were tanked

Saw several half efforts.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

..and I would add. Garry Lyon said on SEN, having watched the game, Max King looked gassed. Needs a break. (Or he’s not trying) Lacks the fitness.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think being able to run and wanting to run are 2 different things, and the issue we’re having at the moment.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 31 May 2021 11:03am OK, so the lads are fit because some ran times that Crouch couldn't believe. Those trials were pre season. If they do not continue to work on their fitness, they lose it. For those whose time trials didn't blow Crouch's mind, they are even worse off.

We all have our opinion on their fitness, their two way running is lacking, especially for a team that is meant to expose sides at Marvel. Malthouse's opinion carries some weight when he assesses a side's running ability.
It's like drug screening on mine sites, everyone passes the pre start screen.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 31 May 2021 1:43pm I think being able to run and wanting to run are 2 different things, and the issue we’re having at the moment.
And in Hill's case it depends if you're running to a contest or to avoid one!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps fitness is in the eye of the beholder. The Melbourne players "look" fit, fitter than any other Melbourne team I have seen in the last 60 years. They do an enormous amount of what turns out to be "unused" running to ensure they have options in front of the ball. That, of course, is the advantage of not having the "off side" rule. We sometimes seem to play as if that rule is in place.

Some aspects of fitness are related to the physical characteristics of the the player. Take Christian Petracca for instance, something we didn't do when we had the chance. The sheer size of his body (legs arms etc.) means that he has far more power to move through packs than most others. This has improved over his time with Melbourne. He also has height, just 9cm shorter than Paddy McCartin, something that no club can improve upon. Fitness probably can't make slow players run faster but it can help them break or avoid tackles. We have a surfeit of slow players.

The last time we "looked" fit was in 2009. Without doubt, fitness has a psychological component. Perhaps the best example of that is the marathon race. Endurance is an essential part of winning, but not the only part. But the race does show that there are limits, as can seen when the bodies of runners actually start to metabolise muscle to provide energy, with catastrophic results. At the moment, with the exception of Jack Steele, not too many Saints players are in that category. He is very much like Lenny Hayes who, above all the other players in GF1, found that extra inner strength and "fitness" to do what he should not have been able to do.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was watching a match recently with an athletics mate who is a keen sprinter- he remarked that a few of our guys need to get along to a good running coach, and Clark was one he singled out.

nw7
Club Player

Watching Melbourne last night and the surge running they do with and without the ball plus all the one percenters. We are miles behind. They came back this season on a mission look fit and full of confidence. We came back thinking we could build into the season and peak during finals.

nw7
Club Player

Watching Melbourne last night and the surge running they do with and without the ball plus all the one percenters. We are miles behind. They came back this season on a mission look fit and full of confidence. We came back thinking we could build into the season and peak during finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 02 Jun 2021 8:52am I was watching a match recently with an athletics mate who is a keen sprinter- he remarked that a few of our guys need to get along to a good running coach, and Clark was one he singled out.
Been thinking that myself. :wink: