I’m torn 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m torn 2

Some might say today was best result possible...I mean this positively....we lose after a decent crack, not belted in a year where we ain’t making the 8 with a list with gaping holes and huge injuries.

Facts are we need to hit draft but have poor picks....so we maximise highest pick opportunities possible....honourable loss not the end of the world in thst pursiit.

We are kicking at 30% efficiencies in front of goal - last in the comp and losing by 9 pts to top 8 side on their dung heap undermanned. It’s not all doom abs gloom BUT decisions we make from here become crucial.

1. Get highest DP possible and do not **** it on some speculative athlete that may come good in 2029. Whomever we pick needs 2 things 1. Some run 2. Ball use skill/composure - no more gathers it 40 times gives it back under pressure 30
2. Play kids from here on out - a game Dunstan plays just robs Bytel of experience. Clavarino in for rest of year
3. Retire Geary - give him a lap and a clap
4. Anoint Ryder and Crouch into leadership roles to help Steele
5. Overhaul coaching - includes all assistants and development and ffs get a goal kicking coach in we can’t continue to do this. I would insert a Senior Director of Coaching above Ratten who has 1 year....IF we have multiple blow out games again next year Bretts gone. Only poach assistants from successful outfits and give King some forward craft development
6. Trade smart - all players on table bar Marshall and King - actively pursue Billings trade to highest bidder (we are at least 2-3 years from a genuine top 4 side)

Good news is we do have a core of 15-24 players there that we can build around IF we are smart and a bit bold now
Big one for me is skill level. We just have to bring in good ball users to improve this - you carry 1 or 2 but not as many as we have
Go the pick!

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: I’m torn 2

Torn

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:44pm
5. Overhaul coaching - includes all assistants and development and ffs get a goal kicking coach in we can’t continue to do this. I would insert a Senior Director of Coaching above Ratten who has 1 year....IF we have multiple blow out games again next year Bretts gone. Only poach assistants from successful outfits and give King some forward craft development
Agree on everything but that point

When you have those types of measures in place, you force coaches to make short term decisions that are not in the club’s best longer term interests for their own security.

That’s how you end up signing Hannebery for a 5 year contract hoping he comes good so that you play finals in a do or die year.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Watching the Swans today if Longmire was our coach we'd be top 4.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

loved the way the Swans ran the ball through the middle unhindered while we battled it out on the wings.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Must say, I started to rationalise the result in this direction.

Who would we get with pick 7?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:44pm Some might say today was best result possible...I mean this positively....we lose after a decent crack, not belted in a year where we ain’t making the 8 with a list with gaping holes and huge injuries.

Facts are we need to hit draft but have poor picks....so we maximise highest pick opportunities possible....honourable loss not the end of the world in thst pursiit.

We are kicking at 30% efficiencies in front of goal - last in the comp and losing by 9 pts to top 8 side on their dung heap undermanned. It’s not all doom abs gloom BUT decisions we make from here become crucial.

1. Get highest DP possible and do not **** it on some speculative athlete that may come good in 2029. Whomever we pick needs 2 things 1. Some run 2. Ball use skill/composure - no more gathers it 40 times gives it back under pressure 30
2. Play kids from here on out - a game Dunstan plays just robs Bytel of experience. Clavarino in for rest of year
3. Retire Geary - give him a lap and a clap
4. Anoint Ryder and Crouch into leadership roles to help Steele
6. Trade smart - all players on table bar Marshall and King - actively pursue Billings trade to highest bidder (we are at least 2-3 years from a genuine top 4 side)

Good news is we do have a core of 15-24 players there that we can build around IF we are smart and a bit bold now
Big one for me is skill level. We just have to bring in good ball users to improve this - you carry 1 or 2 but not as many as we have
Go the pick!
Good points Teflon.
The dilemma for us all.

I was pulling out my last hairs watching Clav give them that goal in the last quarter and asking myself why is he playing. At that very moment, I was angry that we are using games like this, which are pretty much knock-out games for finals contention, for training purposes, I.e. to ‘get games into the kids’.

Then seeing experienced players missing and missing and missing gettable shots at goal....how about Ross running into an open goal! And missing! I just got so exasperated in the other direction....drop Ross, drop Dunstan, drop em all. Play kids...etc. so frustrating. I wonder what Melbourne did...they went to the draft and put kids in but failed and failed, for like thirty years...and now they are killing it.

Torn2

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Disappointed but saw hope as well . Get Marshall ,Jones ,Gresham & Paton back recruit well & next year might be a little brighter than 2021. Yeah I'm a dreamer

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Last edited by Banger9798 on Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Draft as many first round (preferably top 10) mids as we can and hope half of them turn out to be something, and if we’re lucky we’ll snag a genuine A-grader.

TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT in regards to fixing our goal kicking, it’s been a joke for 5 years and not looking like getting any better.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:48pmTorn
I knew you’d be with me!!!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:50pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:44pm
Agree on everything but that point

When you have those types of measures in place, you force coaches to make short term decisions that are not in the club’s best longer term interests for their own security.

That’s how you end up signing Hannebery for a 5 year contract hoping he comes good so that you play finals in a do or die year.
True Skeptic but most teams have a bad loss or 2 during a year ....we’ve had what 6 or 7 greater than 50 points???
Cant let that go I’m afraid
We belted Swans last year admittedly we had better injury run but you can’t let that go...it destroys club morale

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sounds perfect to me...

Sinn has won comparisons to Greater Western Sydney star Josh Kelly for his brilliant run and ball use. The Dragons midfielder is already being spoken about as one of the leading No.1 pick contenders for 2021 given his ability to penetrate and break the lines. The classy youngster would likely have been given strong exposure this year at under-18 level.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Draft picks - don’t always guarantee success

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Good post Teflon.

It just the little things they are getting wrong, which disappointingly are very similiar to when Richardson was in charge. There is nothing I hate more than our blokes constantly giving blind 3m handballs backwards or scrubbing kicks out of defence. Even our midfield do it, theyre obviously are trained to go backwards when under pressure. Thats ok if its to a team mate in space, but it rarely is and just invites more pressure.

Sydney would give a 10 metre handball across play and run and link up from behind.

That and our kicking off zero steps are both terrible habbits the team has continued since Richardson. Ratten spent a year with Richo so its obviously something he has endorsed and continued with. Its bloody frustrating to watch on top of our goal kicking woes!!!

I completely endorse your call to have a complete clean out of Assistant Coaches, (Hamill, Lade, Skrobalak & McGlynn) all have run their race and have to go. Roughead gets a 1 year reprieve.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:09pm Draft picks - don’t always guarantee success
Neither do trades or standing still but still waiting for your alternative plan?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:09pm Good post Teflon.

It just the little things they are getting wrong, which disappointingly are very similiar to when Richardson was in charge. There is nothing I hate more than our blokes constantly giving blind 3m handballs backwards or scrubbing kicks out of defence. Even our midfield do it, theyre obviously are trained to go to backwards when under pressure. Thats ok if its to a team mate in space, but it rarely is and just invites more pressure.

Sydney would a 10 metre handball across play and run and link up from behind.
I did see a lot of weird handballs today to a guy standing still next to you but part of that was there was no link up player upfield that’s where Higgins did well he at least presented

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Can we seriously afford to go through another rebuild.

I think building your list needs to take into account a number of things, the most significant being managing the Salary Cap

But
Building a list should entail
The National Draft - you should always use your FRP and take at least 3
Rookie draft - take first selection (slider) and possibly a project player
Trading - I think about two trades per year is ideal
Free Agency - if you can get one, bonus
Mid Season Draft - I would always use a pick

Then there’s the demographics of the list
Number of A Graders
Developing talent

A bit goes into it

But eggs in one basket rebuild never works

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 6:44pm1. Get highest DP possible and do not **** it on some speculative athlete that may come good in 2029. Whomever we pick needs 2 things 1. Some run 2. Ball use skill/composure - no more gathers it 40 times gives it back under pressure 30
At any given time, St Kilda's recruiters are deciding whether to take a classy mid they can turn into a flanker, a medium forward with a high ceiling and a player who had been rated much higher before their season-ending injury.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
older saint
SS Life Member

Injuries hurt badly. Marshall is a unicorn in the AFL, and we only have a couple "different" mids, both out injured un Jones and Gresh.
Ratten CAN coach and has the payers or they could have rolled over many times.

We lack class and have so for many years.

Whoever is responsible for Hannebery recruitment must be removed ,greatest waste of money since Lovett

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

And you can still retain the ability to function. Amazing.

It has been said it's a sign of genius. Aristotle or Socrates. Can't remember which.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:00pm
I knew you’d be with me!!!
:lol:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I hope we beat Adelaide.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:20pm I hope we beat Adelaide.
Meh.....torn..

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:20pm I hope we beat Adelaide.
Kosi when I went though the fixture at the start of the year I pencilled this one in as a win now I'm not so sure . All I have left is hope :|