What we did

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

What we did

All sounds so simple when it works. The fortnight between games was a few days away from the club and then to revaluate what to do. The focus was on each player to work on what they did well, not what they have to get better with. Basically completely the opposite of what had been happening. As an example
Dunny. +ve. Getting the ball. -ve. Delivery. So Luke focused on his strength and not worried so much about the delivery.
Longy the same. +ve. Attack on the ball. -ve. Giving away free kicks
Seb. +ve. Possessions. -ve. Making the wrong choice in delivery. and so on for every player.
As every player has got their negatives if we concentrate too much on not making those mistakes we lose the focus on not doing the things that we are really good at.

This game it worked. Proof will be in the next few weeks

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What we did

Well, this makes sense. I remember hearing Sam Mitchell say exactly this about his own game years and years ago. You focus on the attribute you've got that can make you elite. Sam Mitchell was never fast, so what's the point in trying to be faster. He's never going to be the fastest.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting take, thanks for sharing. Makes sense to a degree, providing your negatives do not outweigh your positives.

It was their willingness to run and work for each other that was impressive, you could see the tigers were under implied pressure.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

What about unity in the coaching ranks, i believe all the assistants are still at Moorabbin, doing what they are paid to do. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Fantastic result on Friday night, no doubt, but good teams string a few together and that's whay I'm waiting for.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Geary’s feedback to Richo a few years ago was to focus more on positives than negatives. You’d think we might learn from our past mistakes but no.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Darth Vader wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 7:33pm Geary’s feedback to Richo a few years ago was to focus more on positives than negatives. You’d think we might learn from our past mistakes but no.
All very well in theory. Should we have focused on our negatives ( kicking straight ) or the positive ( many shots at goal ). It’s a fine line as you can see.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yep, play to your strengths. Work on your weaknesses, also, but always play to your strengths.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing but most likely what Richmond didn’t do had a fair bit to do with the result.

Sounds like keeping it simple can sometimes work wonders.

https://hbr.org/2016/01/strengths-based ... weaken-you

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO if everyone is having a crack giving 100% not relying on Steele & Crouch to carry the team then we give ourselves a chance of winning more games than we lose. The main reason we won was because we had an even spread across all departments for 4 quarters. Our backline has been under extreme pressure all year isn't it amazing how much better the back line can function when the midfield & forward line get it together

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 10:24pm Thanks for sharing but most likely what Richmond didn’t do had a fair bit to do with the result.

We got the Tiges at a good time...no question.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 5:10pm All sounds so simple when it works. The fortnight between games was a few days away from the club and then to revaluate what to do. The focus was on each player to work on what they did well, not what they have to get better with. Basically completely the opposite of what had been happening. As an example
Dunny. +ve. Getting the ball. -ve. Delivery. So Luke focused on his strength and not worried so much about the delivery.
Longy the same. +ve. Attack on the ball. -ve. Giving away free kicks
Seb. +ve. Possessions. -ve. Making the wrong choice in delivery. and so on for every player.
As every player has got their negatives if we concentrate too much on not making those mistakes we lose the focus on not doing the things that we are really good at.

This game it worked. Proof will be in the next few weeks
Wow. This is great to hear. Players being encouraged to play to their strengths. And great to see Long back in the forward line. I've been calling for this for months.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 12:12am
SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 10:24pm Thanks for sharing but most likely what Richmond didn’t do had a fair bit to do with the result.

I would actually say that Richmond got us at a good time.

Our captain, Geary, out for the season.
No Centre Half Back (out for the season)
Three of our premium midfielders out.
No Clark, No Billings.
Losing another defender with a hamstring during the game.
Not to mention coming off a confidence sapping game the fortnight before - losing to last year's wooden spooner after building a 6 goal lead.
Our underdone ruckman returning after a lengthy absence.

And then we held them to only two goals at the MCG. Great effort.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s a positive approach and I’m wrapt with the win but let’s add a dose of reality for a second.....it’s the worst I’ve seen Tigers play in 4/5 years......they were woeful (yes yes we contributed to them being woeful) but me thinks the ride there may be over.....
Dogs Dees where future is at ....and if we can play like that and smack Bombers next time I might buy into the positive theory a little more

“Yeah….nah””
DJ Higgins
Club Player

My biggest concern now is who gets on the park. Seriously running out of players now with Coffield now out for a week I think

freely
SS Hall of Fame

It's not to do with 'being positive'. It's to do with trying to be the best at what you're already good at instead of being a little bit better at something you're crap at.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:42am My biggest concern now is who gets on the park. Seriously running out of players now with Coffield now out for a week I think
Billings may be back.

Lennylegs
Club Player

I thought the style of footy we played was as promising as I've seen under Ratten. Hard, accountable footy. Worked in numbers. Didn't scoot ahead of the ball looking for free kicks. It was a workmanlike performance, which hasn't been a trait of ours under Ratten.

Give me that performance over any of our flashy, high-scoring wins. It's footy you can hang your hat on.

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's really all about the mindset of the players, having belief in the parts of the game where they normally excel, and having confidence in the support of their team mates when under pressure in the contest.

It was the relentless hard tackling and pressure by St Kilda that caused Richmond to wilt, and that same strategy will enable the Saints to win every remaining match and play finals....that surely is what the coaches will be reinforcing to the playing group from now on!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 12:36am
Vortex wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 12:12am

I would actually say that Richmond got us at a good time.

Our captain, Geary, out for the season.
No Centre Half Back (out for the season)
Three of our premium midfielders out.
No Clark, No Billings.
Losing another defender with a hamstring during the game.
Not to mention coming off a confidence sapping game the fortnight before - losing to last year's wooden spooner after building a 6 goal lead.
Our underdone ruckman returning after a lengthy absence.

And then we held them to only two goals at the MCG. Great effort.
You have highlighted my point precisely. We got Richmond at a good time. Still some daylight between their best 22 playing at their best versus our best 22 playing at our best.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I hope the players don't feel like they have turned a corner after the Tiges victory. They need to finish this season really strongly to regain some trust. And they probably need to win 5 to 6 games at least and take a prized top 4 scalp or two as starters.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are the tigers really a super team as suggested, or are they blessed to have a player who will be rated up there with Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett

They have many role players, who are made to look good

Castagna (rubbish) Arts, Broad all very average. But play a role.

Their game plan of swarm forward as soon as they turn it over at HB and get the ball going forward anyhow has worked, but they have changed their forward set up and it’s hurting them

And their forward of centre use of Martin (he starts in the middle and only plays front half) has confused teams for 4 years

Petracca does it, Stringer is now doing it.

Finally they are starting to work it out

Groovy Guru
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 3:32pm Are the tigers really a super team as suggested, or are they blessed to have a player who will be rated up there with Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett

They have many role players, who are made to look good

Castagna (rubbish) Arts, Broad all very average. But play a role.

Their game plan of swarm forward as soon as they turn it over at HB and get the ball going forward anyhow has worked, but they have changed their forward set up and it’s hurting them

And their forward of centre use of Martin (he starts in the middle and only plays front half) has confused teams for 4 years

Petracca does it, Stringer is now doing it.

Finally they are starting to work it out
It looks to me that Richmond are a team that concentrates on a particular player strengths, hence the role playing and less on the weaknesses.

Martin doesn't run both ways. He starts in the middle an pushes forward and rarely goes back past the centre circle.

Richmond are more than happy to tap and punch a ball forward into space instead of taking possession when in congestion to get the ball into space and allow more time for disposal and set up as such.

The Western Bulldogs do something similar, but use multiple handballs and usually behind the ball.

Both teams have game plan's that utilise their lists strengths.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think they are a very good team, not as great as Brisbane or Hawthorn, and have earned their place in history to be regarded as such. Having a once in a generation player does not guarantee you a flag, let alone 3 in 4 years.