This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sign up Dunstan ASAP!!!

mightysainters wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:05am Been good ish but his lack of spread, speed and kicking ability is very very noticeable.. can't kick single 15m kicks. If he tries to command decent $ imo not worth it.. would prefer Bytel gettijg game time on lower cash and has a higher ceiling
It’s a very good point re Bytel
He needs games to develop but right can’t fit him in....
I think you offer Dunstan a deal but keep it real
Question is: How far is this list off genuinely challenging?? I still think a couple of years so we must develop Bytel....
Tough one

“Yeah….nah””
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Our team improves noticeably when speed is injected and we have our two rucks playing.. I think Bytel in a year or two will be just as impactful as Dunstan and I am not talking about disposals (impact isn't just # of disposals). Think Bytel ceiling is really high, but we can't play Dunstan, Bytel, Ross, Crouch and Steele (lesser extent) in same midfield, far too slow

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 10:17am
SaintPav wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 2:26am Incredible.

Dunstan has done well but he needed to.

It’s Dicks who gloat.

Floodgates.
Called it.

Been saying it for 2 seasons.

You’re welcome.

Oh, and you had any more good laughs at young players doing their ACLs again this morning?
Yeah, that's what I laughed at.

As opposed to you maligning our own players like Hanners, Hill, Gears etc etc ad nauseum in your typical bullying like nasty style.

Lying hypocrite.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As much as we would all hate to see him go, he could become an important key to us getting back into the earlier rounds of the draft. He could even be a key to a trade for a decent backup ruckman.

We have to be realistic as good as he has been, would he normally be getting a game if we had a full list available? That plus we have to balance our salary cap and on current form he is probably looking at 500k per year.

Having said that if we were to move on a player this year Nick Coffield would be the first player I would put on the trade table. I believe he doesnt have huge room to improve his game and we have other quicker and better ball users off the hbf. If he could get us a later 1st round at the draft or even be involved in Ben King trade I would move him on.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He's a ball winner. He's also been a ball butcherer. His disposal efficiency has improved in recent times. Last night, it was 82.8% which is surely a yearly high. Only one miskick was costly - to Paddy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:53pm We have to be realistic as good as he has been, would he normally be getting a game if we had a full list available?
No, but probably because Ratts had him pegged as another not very quick in-and-under type, of which we have a surplus.

His form may have forced a rethink, particularly with Hannebery’s body seemingly cooked.

Possession is nine tenth of the law and Dunstan has earned a spot. He will be hard to displace

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the question becomes, whose he competing with

Hannebery won’t play again or if he does, it won’t be an overly meaningful contribution

And despite his recent form, I still have him behind Steele and Crouch

Looks to me like in terms of longevity, he’s competing with Ross.

Who do we prefer in that context?

Sanctorum
Club Player

Luke Dunstan was pick 18 in the 2013 NAB draft, in eight seasons he has only played 111 games which indicates that he has taken a extraordinarily long time to reach the point where at age 26 he is showing his best form - there were suggestions that the club had looked around the traps to trade him at the end of 2020 and could not find any takers!

He needs to build on this experience to maintain his place in the team, and I certainly hope he does, but "one swallow doesn't make a summer" so both St Kilda and any clubs that may be interested in him will be watching to see how he plays in the remaining games this year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Recruit
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:53pm As much as we would all hate to see him go, he could become an important key to us getting back into the earlier rounds of the draft. He could even be a key to a trade for a decent backup ruckman.

We have to be realistic as good as he has been, would he normally be getting a game if we had a full list available? That plus we have to balance our salary cap and on current form he is probably looking at 500k per year.

Having said that if we were to move on a player this year Nick Coffield would be the first player I would put on the trade table. I believe he doesnt have huge room to improve his game and we have other quicker and better ball users off the hbf. If he could get us a later 1st round at the draft or even be involved in Ben King trade I would move him on.
That is insane

The Recruit
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 1:27pm Luke Dunstan was pick 18 in the 2013 NAB draft, in eight seasons he has only played 111 games which indicates that he has taken a extraordinarily long time to reach the point where at age 26 he is showing his best form - there were suggestions that the club had looked around the traps to trade him at the end of 2020 and could not find any takers!

He needs to build on this experience to maintain his place in the team, and I certainly hope he does, but "one swallow doesn't make a summer" so both St Kilda and any clubs that may be interested in him will be watching to see how he plays in the remaining games this year.
Agree
Armitage had one year when he looked like Chris Judd. Then fell away very very quickly.

Dunstan should stay on less coin with his mates.
Take a 3yr deal on 400k

If not Gold Coast might take him with a pick for Ben

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:26am

It’s Dicks who gloat.

Floodgates.
Called it.

You’re welcome.

Oh, and you had any more good laughs at young players doing their ACLs again this morning?

As opposed to you maligning our own players like Hanners, Hill, Gears etc etc ad nauseum in your typical bullying like nasty style.

Lying hypocrite.
Saying Hanners body is cooked (13 games in 3 seasons, and the criticism is directed at the idiots who signed him up), Hill hasn’t lived up to the hype or pay-packet so far, or that Geary is no longer in our best 22 are all common and mostly agreed upon opinions around here, I’m hardly on my own.

Sh*tposting about a young player who’s just done his ACL is unique to yourself.
SaintPav wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 9:43pm Apparently Eric Dipshitwood is off injured 🤷‍♀️
And while we’re talking about childish name calling, be careful with the personal attacks and baiting of posters, it’s been made clear to me that running off to teacher is a very common strategy for some around here…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:44am
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23am Having 2 dominant ruckmen certainly help Dunstan, we can afford to play all of Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Dunstan when you know you are winning or nullifying each ruck contests.
When we play with losing ruckmen he is exposed for pace and we look sluggish on the clearances.
Jones Gresham and now Byrnes proving to be crucial ingredients
None of Steele, Crouch, Ross or Dunstan are speedsters. All are valuable players. And yes, we need to mix it up with a bit of speed and creativity.

The question is, given Luke’s outstanding form, does the pecking order change? While he is playing like he is, it is his spot to lose IMO
Another fallacy re Seb Ross. He is amongst the 5 fastest players at the club. Hardy ever gets tackled which you would have noticed if you had been watching Seb closely.

As B M posted earlier in this thread:

"And believe it or not Kent is only behind Hill as far as top speed goes 34.5 (Hill over 35) and Seb Ross can reach 33.9 (he doesn’t look as quick as he is)"
Last edited by saynta on Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It’s Dicks who gloat.

Floodgates.
Called it.

You’re welcome.

Lying hypocrite.
:wink: Not the only one. All his mates do too. You know the group. Keep thanking each other ad nauseam.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:19am Our team improves noticeably when speed is injected and we have our two rucks playing.. I think Bytel in a year or two will be just as impactful as Dunstan and I am not talking about disposals (impact isn't just # of disposals). Think Bytel ceiling is really high, but we can't play Dunstan, Bytel, Ross, Crouch and Steele (lesser extent) in same midfield, far too slow
Substitute Jones for Bytel and we did yesterday. Play them in the same midfield that is, and we whipped the flag favourite's arse. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with the op 100%. Dunstan has always been team first but has been treated very shabbily and I wouldn't blame him if he gave us the two fingers now. We nearly played the life out of him when he first got to us. Has never dropped his head sidelined to the twos game after game. Rotten obviously didn't want to play him -only brought him back, despite that great first round game (was it last season?), as an absolute last resort. Will be classic st k to trade him now and us all have to watch him star elsewhere.

This complaint about having the wrong sort of mids and keep going on about how we must trade in this type or that type - well, I think it's bulls***. I think what's happening at the moment is that we're playing to our strengths. Getting the best out of the players we've got instead of playing as if they're what the coach wishes they were. We've got some hard bodies out there and with a fair bit of nous. Good. Let's hang on to this one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 3:58pm

It’s Dicks who gloat.

Floodgates.
Called it.

You’re welcome.

Lying hypocrite.
:wink: Not the only one. All his mates do to.

In the same, bullying, nasty style, which I have learned never to respond to.

You know the group. Keep thanking each other ad nauseam.

Sick making actually.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:07pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 3:47pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23am Having 2 dominant ruckmen certainly help Dunstan, we can afford to play all of Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Dunstan when you know you are winning or nullifying each ruck contests.
When we play with losing ruckmen he is exposed for pace and we look sluggish on the clearances.
None of Steele, Crouch, Ross or Dunstan are speedsters. All are valuable players. And yes, we need to mix it up with a bit of speed and creativity.

The question is, given Luke’s outstanding form, does the pecking order change? While he is playing like he is, it is his spot to lose IMO
Another fallacy re Seb Ross. He is amongst the 5 fastest players at the club. Hardy ever gets tackled which you would have noticed if you had been watching Seb closely.
Gotta disagree with you Saynta about Ross.
My opinion of him has changed from a fan to someone who fears when he gets the footy.
His disposal when under pressure has become diabolical.
He, IMHO, is a turnover merchant both by hand and foot.
He has the skills so I can only assume it is a concentration issue with him re the butchering of the footy. I've seen him on numerous occasions pass the ball expertly to a teammate but alas I've seen him far too often give the ball straight to the opposition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:53pm As much as we would all hate to see him go, he could become an important key to us getting back into the earlier rounds of the draft. He could even be a key to a trade for a decent backup ruckman.

Now someone wants to trade Coffield. f*** me. :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:06pm
saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 3:47pm

Gotta disagree with you Saynta about Ross.
My opinion of him has changed from a fan to someone who fears when he gets the footy.
His disposal when under pressure has become diabolical.
He, IMHO, is a turnover merchant both by hand and foot.
He has the skills so I can only assume it is a concentration issue with him re the butchering of the footy. I've seen him on numerous occasions pass the ball expertly to a teammate but alas I've seen him far too often give the ball straight to the opposition.
We can agree to disagree mate. Without getting nasty like some of the knob jockeys do when their lack of footy smarts is displayed for all to see. :wink: :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 2:03pm
Armitage had one year when he looked like Chris Judd. Then fell away very very quickly.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Apparently luke was very close to going to adelaide last year - deal fell theough at the last moment. He also had a meeting with the coaches about where he stood and was told well down the pecking order. Form was so good in the vfl they had to pick him. again, but for injuries it wouldn't have happened. As said he was luke balled early in his career and expected to play an adults role in a young body. Been through a lot with injuries and loss of confidence. He deserves a lot of kudos for finding his way back and more.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:14pm

So you speak for everyone now Saynta? What has Coffield done that others cant do? He is slow and a liability when the ball gets behind him in defence. He was a poor top 10 pick and IMO we should off load him why he still has some decent trade value.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:58pm

So you speak for everyone now Saynta? What has Coffield done that others cant do? He is slow and a liability when the ball gets behind him in defence. He was a poor top 10 pick and IMO we should off load him why he still has some decent trade value.
Now you are just talking s*** mate. Bet you are one of the ones wanting to offload, Billings, Dunstan and Ross as well.

We currently have a list, barring injuries than can take us the whole way, and yet some on this forum keep talking about who they want to offload.

In the past trading out players has never worked out to the benefit of our team. Poor results are the usual outcome.

From memory you also said that Highmore was a poor draft pick. Great call there. :roll:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 5:05pm

Now you are just talking s*** mate. Bet you are one of the ones wanting to offload, Billings, Dunstan and Ross as well.

We currently have a list, barring injuries than can take us the whole way, and yet some on this forum keep talking about who they want to offload.

In the past trading out players has never worked out to the benefit of our team. Poor results are the usual outcome.

From memory you also said that Highmore was a poor draft pick. Great call there. :roll:
If trading Coffield netted us Ben King would you take it?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 5:57pm
saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 5:05pm

If trading Coffield netted us Ben King would you take it?
Of course.