Highmore, Wood and McKenzie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Highmore, Wood and McKenzie

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:32pm
Lennylegs wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23pm Highmore reminds me of Tom Stewart. Hopefully he can become just as good.
That’s an excellent observation. Similar indeed. Far out - if we end up with an AA mature age defender from a State league … I may just lose my s*** altogether (in a good way)
Highmore may be a late round mature age player
But, more importantly, he "identifies" as a a top 10 draft pick

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:42pm Wood listed as a hamstring, does anyone know if it was a tear or just awareness? Unlucky as he was probably in the best form of his career.
Not a tear. awareness according to Ratts.who incidentally turns the big Five O today.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:32pm
Lennylegs wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23pm Highmore reminds me of Tom Stewart. Hopefully he can become just as good.
That’s an excellent observation. Similar indeed. Far out - if we end up with an AA mature age defender from a State league … I may just lose my s*** altogether (in a good way)
Wouldn't it be bloody great

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:26am Big difference in hardness at the ball.
DMac and Highmore are unflinching in their attack
Coffield is not soft but certainly not hard.
Hardness is what’s required against the top teams and especially against the seasoned midfielders.

We went into the match against Brisbane with a definite theme to match them physically at every contest. We were brutal at times and that’s what you get with Long and DMac in the team the last few weeks. Kent was good and also Butler (even though Dan gave away a few frees, I think he was trying to get under their skin)

Highmore looks like he’s taken a leaf out of the leaders down back. Howard and Wilkie both like to make their opponent earn every kick or mark and around the ground there’s others too. We have Steele who leads by example in the midfield and I think Dunstan and Crouch have also added to the team’s hardness.

It’s now going to be difficult for guys like Ross or Billings or Hill or anyone in the team NOT to provide physicality and hardness if they want to be part of a winning team. The question going forward shouldn’t just be about Webster versus Highmore or DMac versus Long…maybe it should be team selection based whether you are as committed to every contest as the bloke next to you

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lonie and Bytel were both good today for Sandy. Both will be knocking on the door next week.

Lose your place in the team and it will be hard to get back in.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Highmore & McKenzie- I'm still going to reserve the hoorahs until he has a few seasons of consistency.

I'm excited McKenzie is playing better and that Highmore is doing ok. He's not smashing any records but he's solid and that is a win.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 2:36am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 2:04am
saynta wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 11:36pm Hands up all those posters who put s*** on our recruiting team for drafting Highmore or have been critical of him since.

Come on guys own up. Not that hard to find out who you are . Just a matter of putting his name into the SS search engine.

I didn't hang it on him, but 6 decent games a good draft pick does not make. We need SEASONS. It could happen. He looks decent.
But so did Parker and many others who faded away .

Time will tell. I hope all our picks turn to gold!!! C'mon Saunters!!!!!
Rubbish. Parker had one good game and a few glimpses. Highmore has played very well since coming in. He’s already the best mark in the backline.

In 2019 he played 17 games and 2020 he played 2.

I can show you a long list of players who sucked b@lls in 2019 that are still on the team.

Parker was decent in several areas and elite in a few. 2020 he lost traction no doubt due to injury and his own lack in areas.

I don't think 10 games in which only 6 - Highmore gets plaudits as some rare gem unearthed.

Time tells. If he improves and keeps the spot I'd be rapped.

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

I agree that Bytel has plenty of upside, but I can't see Lonie deserving of a spot in the side, he has been tried plenty of times and has let the side down. Good VFL player.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 9:03pm Highmore & McKenzie- I'm still going to reserve the hoorahs until he has a few seasons of consistency.

I'm excited McKenzie is playing better and that Highmore is doing ok. He's not smashing any records but he's solid and that is a win.
Highmore looks assured. Only played 7 games. 193 cm, 6’4”, that’s a big boy. Long term player I reckon.