Who would you trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

darylcowie
Club Player

Re: Who would you trade?

If fit and it's a big IF, I would keep Carlisle, Hannebery, Geary and Frawley as all are still good enough to play at AFL level.
Ross, Dunstan, Billings et all are all tradeable, with Billings worth a 2nd rounder, Dunstan a 3rd and Ross a 4th.
Lonie, Kent, McKernan and Hunter must be delisted and Roberton retired.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

You would keep Carlisle and trade Ross

That is bizarre

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 7:09pm Trading out players for mid range draft picks

How does that make you better?

Ie/ We offload Dunstan and get somewhere between pick 20-40

Dunstan has 2 BOGs this year and been in the best 6 times

What’s the odds of a draftee ( eg Matthew Allison) will have nearly the same impact?!
Does holding on to Dunstan improve our list? Can we turn his selection into a trade (pick) that makes us better? What is it about kids, young footballers that scares you enough to stay with the constant?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

What’s the odds of a draftee ( eg Matthew Allison) will have nearly the same impact?!
Dunstan is still very limited & we are not going to improve or win a flag with him in the side! Remember why he is getting a game and with a fully fit squad he would be playing VFL. We traded out our 2nd round pick for Higgins and will have other holes in the list depending on the cull. We desperately need an upgrade on Hunter as a backup ruck and if it means parting with Dunstan then its a no brainer.

Billings is in a different position, he is a best 22 player and I doubt the club will see him leave without a solid return. If Gallagher is happy with and end of first round cat 2 compensation then so be it. We cant sit still we have to continue to strategically improve the list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 7:54pm

Does holding on to Dunstan improve our list? Can we turn his selection into a trade (pick) that makes us better? What is it about kids, young footballers that scares you enough to stay with the constant?
Exactly it’s limited thinking
Club since Lethleans been there has turned over 20-25 players already and I expect another 6-8 this offseason
Facts are you have to turn the list over to generate something remotely top 4 material
Put it this way - you need your kids to push out you “ok” players - so we need Byrnes, Bytel, Connolly, Highmore, Clark,Coffields etc to push out at least 2 of Dunstan, Billings, Ross, Geary and we need plodders like Kent or Hunter to not play again (McKernan also)
IF we were going into a GF with guys like Kent even remotely a chance to get a game then we have failed as you will simply be found out on the biggest stage with weak links.
You need to turn list over to do that - be it trading, drafting etc and keep moving forward

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Who knows, what should happen and what will happen are vastly different.

If we’re serious, Carlisle, Geary, Hannerbry, Hunter, McKernan, Frawley and Kent should all be off our list next season. Replace them with kids, the more you try the greater your chance of finding a gem.

Billings is better than Dunstan, Dunstan is better than Ross. But the ball is in their court if they stay or go.

No more dart throws at broken down veterans please.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 11:26pm Who knows, what should happen and what will happen are vastly different.

If we’re serious, Carlisle, Geary, Hannerbry, Hunter, McKernan, Frawley and Kent should all be off our list next season. Replace them with kids, the more you try the greater your chance of finding a gem.

Billings is better than Dunstan, Dunstan is better than Ross. But the ball is in their court if they stay or go.

No more dart throws at broken down veterans please.
Contracts not withstanding, agree with all of this

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

To answer the thread title, I'd offer Long up for trade and field offers for Battle and Webster. They're the only players who might be worth something that we could afford to trade. I'm happy to keep them all but they could help get some deals over the line for more pressing needs (key defender, Ryder replacement, midfield class).

I'd let Billings, Ross and Dunstan walk as free agents. Hopefully that would net us an end of first round pick and a couple of third rounders.

Then I would clear the following from the list:

Alabakis
Geary
Roberton
Carlisle
Frawley
McKernan
Hunter
Lonie
Kent
Hannebery

Search long and hard for talented kids who had their development stalled by lockdowns. Ability to get the ball and use it well is mandatory. We'd have a ton of free cap space so if we can land a big fish then let's go for it.

wally
Club Player

Our problem has always been the last 6-10 players selected on match day. Getting rid of players above that is silly we need to recruit/develop
guys to push others down the list.
We traded McEvoy for what? pushed out Goddard and DalSanto and gained what?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Continuing the churn thought, or at least not giving a secure home to the mediocre that are taking you nowhere: look at how Highmore and Sharman were "discovered" when we had to look hard.

There are probably enough talented chaps out there in AFL Land across all leagues such that recycled players and those that regress/stagnate don't have to be given shelter or tolerated.

E.G.: GWS picked up a Werribee CHF prospect who looked (looks?) good in Jake Riccardi, how unfashionable. Perhaps time to do the work on research, get out and about, set up wide networks and not simply take the conservative narrow view( & intellectually easy) on recruitment from a shallowish pool pushed by managers and the draft circuses events.

I imagine Hannebery and Hill were raw unknown talents once discovered by earnest talent scouts - those scouts showed much more judgement than them what made the classic mistake of buying just as the market crashes/commodity spoils.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Exactly

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

All Dunny has proved with his BOGs he is capable of high performance, BUT only when it suits him, ie when his pay packet is on the line. I was a big supporter up until his disgraceful effort in the thrashing by the Tiges, I was just further frustrated by his BOG games. I think he has to go so we can recruit a replacement and start fresh.

We need to change the pick N choose culture.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think it would always ‘suit’ him to perform at a high level.

If he did it consistently he would be a 600k player, rather than a 300k player. Thing is, it’s not as simple as just going out there and dominating every week, a bit comes in to it!

Dunstan is an average player, but still has ended up a lot better than most 20-40 range DPs

We went down the road of offing good players for DPs under Pelchen.

While they we on to win B&Fs and Premierships and Captain opposition clubs

We got
Tom Hickey, Blake Acres, Billy Longer, Nathan Wright, Shane Savage

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 11:38am I think it would always ‘suit’ him to perform at a high level.

If he did it consistently he would be a 600k player, rather than a 300k player. Thing is, it’s not as simple as just going out there and dominating every week, a bit comes in to it!

Dunstan is an average player, but still has ended up a lot better than most 20-40 range DPs

We went down the road of offing good players for DPs under Pelchen.

While they we on to win B&Fs and Premierships and Captain opposition clubs

We got
Tom Hickey, Blake Acres, Billy Longer, Nathan Wright, Shane Savage
The difference is Pelchen pushed out high end players in Dal Santo, Goddard & McEvoy for picks. Dunstan is a back up inside mid, who I believe his trade value would be greater than hanging on to him. Particularly if he gets us a decent ruckman or other identified player.

We have to have faith that our recruiters can improve the list via the draft, as continually trading out future picks has its obvious downsides. In recent years the recruitment teams strike rate has improved significantly. All of Byrnes, Bytel & Highmore were high picks and have shown enough to indicate they have a future.

Allison from an outsider's perspective was a strange selection, but he has slowly improved this year and is obviously going to take some time to develop. I dont know if he will ever be a key position player they wanted, but he has the tools to become a tall flanker or wingman.

repta
Club Player

I would accept 3 magic beans and a bag of mixed lollies for any or all of

Alabakis
Roberton
Carlisle
Frawley
Hunter
Kent
Hannebery

They have no value at all.

Keep Geary for depth

Would be disappointed to see Dunstan go now he has become a good player. I believe he has turned a corner.

Lonie could be kept for depth. Would have little to no value in a trade and surely couldnt cost much to keep.
With the number of players that need to be 'moved on' he should be kept at this stage

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Allison won’t be on the list in 18 months and was a terrible selection.

That bad, that I’d sack the person who selected him.

Sorry to say, but he’s been uncompetitive. Young Sharman came in and within a fortnight had gone past him.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 7:57pm Allison won’t be on the list in 18 months and was a terrible selection.

That bad, that I’d sack the person who selected him.

Sorry to say, but he’s been uncompetitive. Young Sharman came in and within a fortnight had gone past him.
Time will tell I guess!

I was very sceptical re Allison early on myself, he is a slow burn but there is no doubt he is improving and will develop. Sharman was playing mostly reserves in the SANFL before we plucked him. Its not a perfect science but that call in itself is further evidence that our recruiters now know what they are doing - have faith BM.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t have ANY faith in the recruiting dept

saintkid
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 10:25pm I don’t have ANY faith in the recruiting dept
That's a given B.M. They are and have been pathetic.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 11:23pm
B.M wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 10:25pm I don’t have ANY faith in the recruiting dept
That's a given B.M. They are and have been pathetic.
Just remember Libatore didnt get the reins until after the 2017 draft and we have read recently that Richardson insisted on Coffield over Naughton. Also with our trading he has never had a full hand at the National Draft. I cant recall when we last held a 2nd round pick at the draft, we have traded out the future 2nd continuously.

Apart from the insistence on topping up with older players (I doubt thats Libatore's call) which has failed, I think they have done a pretty good job since Libatore took over! Wood although is still injury prone was actually playing some pretty good footy before the injury and is a good depth player.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you rate the selection of Allison at pick 25?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 11:22am How do you rate the selection of Allison at pick 25?
Is there a sample size we can use to actually rate him?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's early days to make a call on the Allison selection. Not many picked after him have shone so far, and about a third of the picks after him were academy picks. Eleven of the players picked between picks 22 and 35 have not debuted yet. Does that mean they're all useless? People on here last year were moaning about us picking up Highmore and some gave him an absolute hammering after he played his first game stating that he was basically useless and couldn't kick.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 11:22am How do you rate the selection of Allison at pick 25?
I'm sure you'll get some of "the kid's hopeless, why did we pick him" if you keep knocking all our kids after one season on our list. I think our problems lie more with the ones given ample opportunities in the seniors to prove they are worth keeping.

Didn't you initially question why did we pick someone like Sharman?

Didn't you also question or state Connolly was a long way from playing AFL?

Please correct me if I've misquoted or taken you out of context.