Match Thread Saints v Cats Round 22 2021

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Cats Round 22 2021

Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:43pm Ratten had no plan B to counter the Cats chip chip chippy uncontested gamestyle - absolute nada idea on how to beat it - they just killed our pressure game and slowed it down and we ran around like headless chooks or just marked space - story of our year!!

Of course when the ball was there to be won they were more desperate and went in harder and always had a handball outlet

2 or 3 times we had a set shot goal within range and turned it over trying to pass it off - twice we dropped simple marks to have a shot at goal

King's miss again was unforgivable - he needs to sort that out

Again we had a game at our mercy and we didnt know how to wrest back control - the scoreline says it was an admirable effort but in reality we choked hard again - thats about 5 or 6 ganes now

Ratten and playing group have a lot of work to do in the off season

Its been a very disappointing year
did you expect to win this game ? be honest..did you tip us to win

King's miss was unforgivable ??? really ??? our scoring for goal is the best it's been in ages ..... a game at our mercy lol..had a chuckle at that one.

we were beaten by a very good side...... your outlook I fear is a little skewed

most will have taken a lot from this season

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:11pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:21am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:07am
st.byron wrote: Sat 07 Aug 2021 10:47pm 3/4 time stat :
Curly 30 match thread posts
27 whinging about umpiring

I know…I bothered counting #sad
Just following up on this great observation.

Full time stats: 36 posts, 32 whinging about umpiring…

In a game we won.

Free kick count 17-18…

Move on though, nothing to see here 👍
In no way is that spam. Not at all.
31 of 33 tonight…
Its not spam though. It's not.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:55pm
Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:43pm Ratten had no plan B to counter the Cats chip chip chippy uncontested gamestyle - absolute nada idea on how to beat it - they just killed our pressure game and slowed it down and we ran around like headless chooks or just marked space - story of our year!!

Of course when the ball was there to be won they were more desperate and went in harder and always had a handball outlet

2 or 3 times we had a set shot goal within range and turned it over trying to pass it off - twice we dropped simple marks to have a shot at goal

Again we had a game at our mercy and we didnt know how to wrest back control - the scoreline says it was an admirable effort but in reality we choked hard again - thats about 5 or 6 ganes now

King's miss was unforgivable ??? really ??? our scoring for goal is the best it's been in ages ..... a game at our mercy lol..had a chuckle at that one.

Yes I tipped us once Stewart was out

We kicked the first 5 goals of the match ..... we had the game at our mercy

And yes missing a goal 15m out on a slight angle from a set shot is unforgivable

Pretty sure my thought process is not one skewed here

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 10:15pm

And yes missing a goal 15m out on a slight angle from a set shot is unforgivable

Jeez King could barely run. Shouldn't have even been out there. Give him a break.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 10:18pm

Jeez King could barely run. Shouldn't have even been out there. Give him a break.
Enough with the excuses - he didnt look hobbled when he kicked it

Its been a huge issue all year with him

It needs fixing

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 10:26pm

It needs fixing
He'd already kicked two miracle goals that night in the first quarter and his kicking has been exceptional for about a month. He's sorted it out.

I'm not making excuses the guy was heavily injured and shouldn't have been on the field.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah to play King was a mistake & to be continually playing Billings knowing he was injured is a sign of a desperation. Has it worked IMO no :?:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 10:28pm

It needs fixing
He'd already kicked two miracle goals that night in the first quarter and his kicking has been exceptional for about a month. He's sorted it out.

I'm not making excuses the guy was heavily injured and shouldn't have been on the field.
2 miracle goals :lol:

I am just saying he has had a problem all year missing easy straight forward set shot goals - thia cannot be denied

Its an issue that still hasnt beeen sorted

He kicks it and we are 10pts up with momentum late in the 3rd

We also have to sort giving away red time goals - reckon we would have to be the worst in the league giving up goals in the final 1 or 2 minutes of quarters
Last edited by Devilhead on Sat 14 Aug 2021 11:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

In other great news Harvey has managed to keep Brisbane's margin to under 100 points, best we snap him up!

Banger9798
SS Life Member

King does miss more in the second half.
I reckon peak fitness will help consistency.
He is a good kick and a long kick.
Some strength and a few more kilos will help him climb another level next year then should be elite from 2023

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The Peanut
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 8:46pm Great game by the boys...if Ryder had played it was a win. thats how close we are to the top sides.

Once we shed some baggage and pick up a couple next year aint lookin so bad.

KING :)........................ wow, I'm looking forward to just watching him :)
seriously though we have some really good young prospects.... there was a time this season that I had lost all hope for next season...

I have been bouyed.

GO SAINTS
This!
... and I just hope to see the up-em-selves cluster from down the road hang their heads when they miss out on the big one.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Can’t compare Geelongs recruiting to ours as they are basically a local club playing AFL. The lifestyle and the pull to return to that lifestyle is a huge advantage.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:44am Can’t compare Geelongs recruiting to ours as they are basically a local club playing AFL. The lifestyle and the pull to return to that lifestyle is a huge advantage.
Training at Moorabbin means you could buy a house in Mount Martha and drive up the Mornington Peninsula fwy all the way up to Mordialloc to get to training.

The Mornington Peninsula is a great place to live and work. Just ask Ben McEvoy.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:43pm Ratten had no plan B to counter the Cats chip chip chippy uncontested gamestyle - absolute nada idea on how to beat it - they just killed our pressure game and slowed it down ...
So, how do you beat it? I think you underestimate what Geelong are doing. It can only be achieved with great skill and massive practice. One on one doesn't work if their skill level holds up, that is, if the kick goes to the teammate and not over his head. Players lead off their opponent, gain the crucial 2 metre break and the kick goes to them. Geelong use the game only at certain times but always once they are in front. Whilst it may look like an eternity, they only use it for about a minute or so, but it can be a crucial minute. Despite that, with just over 6 minutes to go, a skill error and breakaway could have put us in front. We actually got one, but despite some creative tapping, the bounce didn't go our way. We lacked someone of size and skill on the forward line. At the time, the captain was off the field - you can't expect him to play 100% of the time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:44am
CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:44am Can’t compare Geelongs recruiting to ours as they are basically a local club playing AFL. The lifestyle and the pull to return to that lifestyle is a huge advantage.
Training at Moorabbin means you could buy a house in Mount Martha and drive up the Mornington Peninsula fwy all the way up to Mordialloc to get to training.

The Mornington Peninsula is a great place to live and work. Just ask Ben McEvoy.
Completely different to growing up in Geelong and the surf coast. You can live at Mornington and play at every Vic based club bar Essendon say. Danger cane home not just for the footy but the lifestyle.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:46am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:43pm Ratten had no plan B to counter the Cats chip chip chippy uncontested gamestyle - absolute nada idea on how to beat it - they just killed our pressure game and slowed it down ...
So, how do you beat it? I think you underestimate what Geelong are doing. It can only be achieved with great skill and massive practice. One on one doesn't work if their skill level holds up, that is, if the kick goes to the teammate and not over his head. Players lead off their opponent, gain the crucial 2 metre break and the kick goes to them. Geelong use the game only at certain times but always once they are in front. Whilst it may look like an eternity, they only use it for about a minute or so, but it can be a crucial minute. Despite that, with just over 6 minutes to go, a skill error and breakaway could have put us in front. We actually got one, but despite some creative tapping, the bounce didn't go our way. We lacked someone of size and skill on the forward line. At the time, the captain was off the field - you can't expect him to play 100% of the time.
Well said

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

You beat it by having a better executed Plan A - get 5 goals up - let them get a few back - but then start again - get another 5 goals up - let them get a few - start again - rinse and repeat....

Why can't we do it?
Because we do not have belief
We do not have a winning culture
We do not have faith in the system
We look for Plan B

I have been critical of St Kilda's game plan for years - because we are always the Hunter - Richmond don't care if the opposition get a few quick goals - they just do what THEY do well - refocus and continue doing the Richmond thing.

Danger'fling' said as much in his interview:
- Were you concerned when they got 5 goals up?
- Nope - we just went back and trusted the process.
[Paraphrased]

We kicked 5 goals in about 10 minutes - do that 4 times in a game - I don't care what chippy chippy the other team does - 20 goals wins you most matches.

We now have the weapons:
- King
- Sharman
- Membrey
- Higgins
- Butler
- Resting Mid

That is a F@rking Potent Forward line

Just need a midfield that does not get smacked week in - week out

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 10:20am
You beat it by having a better executed Plan A - get 5 goals up - let them get a few back - but then start again - get another 5 goals up - let them get a few - start again - rinse and repeat....

Why can't we do it?
Because we do not have belief
We do not have a winning culture
We do not have faith in the system
We look for Plan B

I have been critical of St Kilda's game plan for years - because we are always the Hunter - Richmond don't care if the opposition get a few quick goals - they just do what THEY do well - refocus and continue doing the Richmond thing.

Danger'fling' said as much in his interview:
- Were you concerned when they got 5 goals up?
- Nope - we just went back and trusted the process.
[Paraphrased]

We kicked 5 goals in about 10 minutes - do that 4 times in a game - I don't care what chippy chippy the other team does - 20 goals wins you most matches.

We now have the weapons:
- King
- Sharman
- Membrey
- Higgins
- Butler
- Resting Mid

That is a F@rking Potent Forward line

Just need a midfield that does not get smacked week in - week out
We lost the most influential player on the ground at quarter time. Very hard to come up with a Plan B then C

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 2:04pm
We lost the most influential player on the ground at quarter time. Very hard to come up with a Plan B then C
Not just last night - but games like the Crows etc - get them on the back foot - they start to rally - we react - by playing non 'Saints' football - but never switch back on.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Let’s get real here
We jumped them
By late in the first they had restored order
We simply couldn’t win a contest or get the ball off them
They won convincingly all the leading stats - smashed us out of he middle, spread (we couldn’t go with them). Marshall had a mare ....that’s ok he’s been up
More than over his career
The positive is we have done tricks abs sone good players
Unfortunately not enough quality to stay with top sides for 4 quarters ....happened a lot this year

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 12:10am Let’s get real here
We jumped them
They won convincingly all the leading stats - smashed us out of he middle, spread (we couldn’t go with them). Marshall had a mare ....that’s ok he’s been up
Unfortunately not enough quality to stay with top sides for 4 quarters ....happened a lot this year

The main problem is the problem that we have known that we have had for years.

We do not have enough quality in the midfield. We only have one genuine top class mid and that is Jack Steele.

When Paddy plays his tap work is so good that it helps to mask our deficiency.

Some of our mids are ok for the depth that you need in a midfield, but our midfield has too many depth mids and not enough top end talent.

So yes some positive signs in that we look to have found some players. Highmore looks very good and Sharman is promising. And Max is now showing what he will be.

BUT Jack Steele (Superman)needs a quality mate. Currently he has too many Robins when he needs a Batman.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Banger9798
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 10:43am
We jumped them

We do not have enough quality in the midfield. We only have one genuine top class mid and that is Jack Steele.

Some of our mids are ok for the depth that you need in a midfield, but our midfield has too many depth mids and not enough top end talent.

So yes some positive signs in that we look to have found some players. Highmore looks very good and Sharman is promising. And Max is now showing what he will be.

BUT Jack Steele (Superman)needs a quality mate. Currently he has too many Robins when he needs a Batman.
This is spot on.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 12:57pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 10:43am
We jumped them

This is spot on.
100% agree with your comment re Paddy Ryder.

A fully fit Gresh will make some difference but who knows if it’s enough. Clark has stagnated this year with that unfortunate injury, and I think he’s also going to be an asset at centre bounces that will help us push towards a finals berth in 2022.

Who knows if Paddy’s body will stand up to another full season…

We obviously have to recruit or develop a half decent back up ruckman.

On the subject of the midfield, I’d love for Ratts to try something different. We need bigger bodies at times. He’s tried both Long and Battle as wingmen and they try and run in hard at centre bounces to try and impact or lay a tackle, but what about trying them as genuine ball hunting mids.

We have a bloke called Wilkie who is brilliant with his hands and is a great decision maker. Has he ever played in the midfield? I wonder how he’d go in tight at stoppages?

Maybe Highmore can cover in defence or what about trying Highmore himself at stoppages and in the middle. Maybe Highmore could be what we’re looking for but we’ll never know unless we try and see if he can handle the heat.

I reckon a few position changes should be tried over summer

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sam Menegola with 35 disposals was the difference between the two clubs. He played on Daniel McKenzie, who had ten disposals, all night.

Crossy66
Club Player

It needs fixing
Not really,
Since the bye he has kicked 22.8 @ 73.3% which ranks 3rd in the AFL (minimum30 goals)
His kicking has been elite since the bye, save for one bad kick with a strained abductor. I've had one of those and could lift me leg, so I don't know how he even played.