list Review time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

list Review time

What is easy is to pluck names of who to get rid of, what probably isn't as easy is to then consider the cost ( if contracted) , the positional depth, and the replacement quality.
Obviously players can develop different roles that said I have tried to list the guys positionally and give my mug on the couch (no longer allowed in the stands) view of where we sit moving forward for discussion.

Big/medium Backs: Howard, Wilkie, Joyce, Carlisle, Claravino, Frawley, Highmore
Smaller backs: Webster, Paton, Sinclair, Geary, Coffield, Connolly,
Wings/Outside Mids: Hill, Jones, Byrnes, McKenzie, Billings, Gresham, Clark, Battle
Inside Mids: Steele, Crouch , Ross, Dunstan, Bytel ,Hannebery,
Key/ Big forwards: King, Membrey, Wood, Sharman, Allison
Small Forwards: Butler, Higgins, Lonie, Kent, Long,
Rucks, Ryder, Marshall, Hunter, McKernan , Heath, Alabakis
43 players

History says no one is every off the table but all things being equal here is my take":

Obvious Keep:
Howard, Wilkie, Highmore, Sinclair, Paton, Coffield, Connolly, Hill, Jones, Brynes, Gresham, Clark, Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Hannebery, King, Membrey, Butler, Higgins, Ryder, Marshall (22)

Free Agent : Billings, Dunstan (2)

Season 1 or 2: Heath , Sharman, Allison (3)

Keep unless good offer comes : Webster, Battle, McKenzie, Ross, (4)

Retire/Delist: Alabakis, McKernan , Frawley, Hunter, (4)

That leaves : Carlisle, Joyce, Claravino, Geary, Wood, Lonie, Kent, Long, (8)

Carlise- How bad is his back? What will he cost to keep? Will he play the way Rats wants? Obviously the pick of the bigger backs left but HUGE ?'s IF back ok and will sign for relatively cheap and play the team way them provides the big back we lack and would keep , that said a lot of question marks.

Joyce/ Claravino- Irishman vs 2nd round pick. I go the Irishman to keep. Really disappointed with recruiter here when you look at what went around him. 4 years now, granted some injured but Joyce shown a bit more as a back up player.

Geary - warrior of the club , body just let you down. time is done unless you want to play at Sandy and teach the young kids and be there as injury depth. Huge ask for a former captain to do.

Lonie /Kent - both depth players but to me Kent offers more . Neither in best 22 but need a best 28 to win a flag. Lonie may end up being steak knife in trade.

Long - trade bait for me. Flashes of good with flashes of bad .

Wood - probably saw enough to keep on a minimum deal.

So delist becomes Alabakis, McKernan , Frawley, Hunter, Claravino, Geary, Lonie, Long (trade) (8)

Billings - if offer made external if $700k + let him go as formula says likely 1st rounder back. If less then pay the man and keep him as while not a superstar is easily in our best 15 and offers something we do lack
Dunstan - my gut says he will go. Help him get to where he wants and do a trade. probably get a late 2nd round ,early third for him base don recent form .Problem is too many inside mids. Ross is the other one but i think he will be cheaper and is more consistent.

Therefore we are looking to recruit :
Additional key defender . Tahlia mentioned but would want to be better than Frawley body wise. perhaps identify one who may be available or alternatively make Battle that player ala McGovern (WC).

Bigger Bodied Ruckman - Guy from Collingwood cant seem to get a look in.

Any quality outside ball users.

Always things not anticipated pop up in trade period.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: list Review time

Amy analysis that sees Kent getting another contract is fatally flawed.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Just remind me, why haven't Billings & Clark made themselves into starting mids. Then I can review.

Will be looking at players that bring skills and energy. Haven't Sincs, Connelly & Sharman been breaths of fresh air. More please.

Hack
Club Player

Hill needs to reinvent himself as a midfielder because as a defender a. He is no good defensively and b. He could possibly be the highest paid and worst defender in the comp

Hack
Club Player

For me he needs to play on the wing

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Hack wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 4:05pm For me he needs to play on the wing
Too close to the crowd, what if somebody yells boo?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Definitely gone
Hunter
Kent (no contract)
Lonie
Albalakis
McKernan
Frawley
Roberton

Probably gone
Ross
Carlisle
Dunstan

Maybe gone
Billings
Clavarino
Geary

Keep just
Joyce
Wood

That’s up to 13 gone
Can’t see more than 10 or 11 myself

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Good discussion

For me, the big thing is turning over a large portion of what we know isn’t really able to contribute moving forward. We’ve sat on way to much for too long.

Hannebery, Kent, Lonie, Geary, Carlisle, McKenrnan, Frawley, Alabakis and Hunter are the obvious group that either aren’t good enough or can’t stay on the park. Of that 9, you pbly need to lose at least 5 depending on contracts and what you can replace. Roberton too if he still counts on numbers?

Then you have this next group: Clavarino, Joyce, Wood. To be blunt and brutal... none are good enough and won’t be. They really shouldn’t be on the list but they are at least match fit and ready to come in for their roles, which puts them a leg up on the above group

Next section is Webster, Dmac and Long. All arguably best 22 but with replacements or step ups potentially breathing down their necks. IMO, unless packaged as part of a great trade, none of these guys should be in danger. All could/should either be in the team... dropped if playing poorly but capable of being top 22.

Then you have the interesting section...
Billings, Battle, Dunstan, Ross - all top 22 though Battle’s stocks have dropped. All capable of great performances... All have their fans and detractors because their best is great but they perhaps don’t get there as often as most would like.
For the most part IMO, this is the group that we all hope was that 10% better that would launch them into the consistently excellent category.
It’s pbly where our trade value is in terms of what we’re able to lose.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I can't understand why anyone would question Jimmy Webster's place on the list - since returning from injury he has been a very effective contributor to the team's defensive setup - in any case, he is contracted to 2022.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Banger9798
SS Life Member

If we get Lynch from Collingwood
Get the best available Mid with FRDP
and
Get a CHB of good size

We will be in a good position to push for finals 2022 and top 4 in 2023

Ben King would be great if possible, I just think GC may make it virtually impossible and we may need to strike when he is a RFA

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 6:22pm I can't understand why anyone would question Jimmy Webster's place on the list - since returning from injury he has been a very effective contributor to the team's defensive setup - in any case, he is contracted to 2022.
Webster stays

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Need
Big defender
Ruck
2 X mids
Stuck with Dan and Brad.
Deadwood, plenty of, well identified here.
So we probably make 8 but not quite real deal next year. But terrific chance to regenerate a tired pedestrian list. Quite exciting

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think there’s much wrong with the list, if you want to be a 6th to 10 team

High as sixth if a good run with injuries, down to tenth if not

To be a contender, there needs to be some turn over

We need to be aggressive
Would love is to go hard at B King, McAsey, Chol, Narkle and M Crouch

Let go at least 10 players, including some good ones.

Ruthless trading

Keep 2020 FRP

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

delist the really obvious, Alabakis, McKernan , Frawley, Hunter, Geary, Roberton, Carslile, Wood & Hannabury

Chances are we'll lose another 2 or 3 who may be traded and another 2 or 3 who are out of contract but don't warrant an extension.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:12pm delist the really obvious, Alabakis, McKernan , Frawley, Hunter, Geary, Roberton, Carslile, Wood & Hannabury

Chances are we'll lose another 2 or 3 who may be traded and another 2 or 3 who are out of contract but don't warrant an extension.
Hannebery will be at the Saints in 2022, he has a contract that he wants to see through to the end.

I think they'll keep Wood for another year. Who knows what will happen with Geary.

There were 11 list changes last year, there could easily be that many again this year.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintbob
SS Life Member

Ross, Dunstan, Carlisle, Lonie, Alabakis, Frawley, McKernan, Hunter, Roberton, Geary, Kent and Billings all need to be traded, delisted and or retired.

What we don’t want is anymore
inside mids and definitely no more players who have been delisted by their club.

My dream wish list would include Cerra and King

footynut
Club Player

FB  Wilkie Howard Paton
HB Highmore ???? Sinclair
C McKenzie Steele Clark
HF Gresham ???? Membery
FF Marshall King Higgins
R: Ryder Jones, Crouch
INT: Byrnes Connelly Coffield Hannebery Bytel Hill Webster Butler

Therefore we need to go recruit
* A mature Ruck (despite drafting Max Heath)
* CHF
* CHB (unless they give Battle a chance to settle in)
* high posession classy mid with good foot skills (FRDP)

Delist / Trade
dunstan, alabakis, hunter, kent, frawley geary, mckernan,

Unsure
Seb, lonie
Billings

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO Ross offers a lot more than Haneberry he is a lot more resilient obviously not as skilful but he is on the park most weeks

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross is not contracted

Hannebery is

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Move Ross on please
Surely he signed his death warrant when he let danger mark that ball unopposed

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Surely m crouch is much the same as we already have?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Don't we have already 2 list spots that we didn't fill from the mid season draft?

If so I cant see us delist more than 6 or 7 players which will leave up to 8 or 9 spots to fill - around 3 of those for NGAs

Let go - Lonie, Alabakis, McKernan, Frawley, Roberton, Carlisle ..... and maybe Dunstan will go

We need a mature back up ruck so Hunter likely to stay

Think Billings will stay as well

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 11:56pm Don't we have already 2 list spots that we didn't fill from the mid season draft?

If so I cant see us delist more than 6 or 7 players which will leave up to 8 or 9 spots to fill - around 3 of those for NGAs

Let go - Lonie, Alabakis, McKernan, Frawley, Roberton, Carlisle ..... and maybe Dunstan will go

We need a mature back up ruck so Hunter likely to stay

Think Billings will stay as well
I think that’s kind of the point...
It’s why a player like Geary may get another go even though he’s pbly surplus to requirements.

You can’t really get rid of more that 7-8 players in one off-season and that’s if you trade a few to bring in others.

I reckon the most you can hope for is to cut 4-6 of what is absolutely deadwood by which I mean not good enough or their body is shot types and guys in the trade bubble stay unless we get a good deal.

Guys like Joyce, Wood or Clav stay because they’re generally fit and are ready to play and at least compete right now opposed to someone like Heath who is a developmental player and isn’t ready.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how many Saints player managers have been ringing the club lately to talk a new deal for their player for 2022, only to be told to wait until
season's end and then we'll talk.
Another week and for some their AFL careers could be over. At least they got there, a lot don't.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:42pm Ross is not contracted

Hannebery is
I know he is but enough is enough time to cut our loses & move on . I can't see too many teams throwing the cheque book at Seb will probably get a better offer from us than other club so IMO he will be around for at least another year & I would be happy with that I know a lot won't be but hey we live in a country thank f--- were we can have an opinion :|