Pick 9

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 9

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:12pm As always

Best player available

You don’t draft for next year, you draft for the next 12 years

You don’t pass on an elite tall because you want a mid, you don’t pass up on an elite mid because you want a tall.

That’s (composition of list) is what trading is for

The National Draft is there to get the best talent through the door
Agree. Best available and slot them in where they fit into the side. There are various other avenues for recruiting for specific needs.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 5:30pm
B.M wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:12pm As always

Best player available

You don’t draft for next year, you draft for the next 12 years

You don’t pass on an elite tall because you want a mid, you don’t pass up on an elite mid because you want a tall.

That’s (composition of list) is what trading is for

The National Draft is there to get the best talent through the door
Agree. Best available and slot them in where they fit into the side. There are various other avenues for recruiting for specific needs.
You know that, B.M. knows that, we all know that...fingers crossed St Kilda has finally learned to do that.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hey compatriots - there is a Trade & Draft discussion sticky at the top of the forum page - it would be great if we kept all discussion in there - a lot easier to follow then rather skipping between threads ...... just saying

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 6:34pm Hey compatriots - there is a Trade & Draft discussion sticky at the top of the forum page - it would be great if we kept all discussion in there - a lot easier to follow then rather skipping between threads ...... just saying
How dare you say something reasonable!! I was preparing to run my mouth and spew jackassery mixed dumbassitis...thanks alot Devilhead.

Now I have to wait for Curly to post so I can immediately follow and I look witty and clever.

Saint 58
Club Player

My choice would be Goater.
From what I've seen, which isn't much; he's a cross between Goddard & the Bont.
I don't think he'll be there for us anyway.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I told her I had been a flop with picks
It's been that way since 1966
She looked at my palm, ... made a magic sign...
What you need is love potion #9.
Guitar solo... good picking, hear it?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

As long as our recruiters don't waste our picks on Patrick Naish.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 4:49pm As long as our recruiters don't waste our picks on Patrick Naish.
Absolutely!!

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 11

Yes I changed the title to pick 11.

You see there will be at least 2 father-son picks ahead of the Saints first round pick.
Collingwood will queue jump to grab Nick Daicos when another club calls him and forces their hand.
Remember Collingwood sold their first round draft pick No2 to GWS.
That guy Guy the gift that keeps on giving.
Sam Darcy will have the Dogs queue jumping as well.

Fortunately there will be no academy draft pick queue jumping in the first 20 picks this year.
But there may still be some interference from the AFL awarding free agency compensation picks.

Saints may get lucky and have the 11th best pick at this draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Torn

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:47amTorn
Who does he play for ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dogs getting another free ride. It’s becoming a bit tiring.

Approaching two decades since our last draft queue jumping.

Doesn’t seem fair.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

So what pick were we going to use on Darcy and Daicos?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it semantics? For example, Pick 9 means we get to choose the 11th player taken in the draft, taking into account eligible players which Daicos & Darcy are.

To call that pick pick 11 makes perfect sense as St Kilda certainly won't be getting a Top 10 player, as 10 others would have been secured by the time of their pick.

Early picks will be impacted and pushed back whilst some later picks, especially those in rounds 3, 4, 5 will push forward depending on how many picks were spent reaching the FS bid price.

At the end of the draft X number of players are chosen. Our pick will likely be the 11th player chosen.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 8:41am Isn't it semantics? For example, Pick 9 means we get to choose the 11th player taken in the draft, taking into account eligible players which Daicos & Darcy are.

To call that pick pick 11 makes perfect sense as St Kilda certainly won't be getting a Top 10 player, as 10 others would have been secured by the time of their pick.

Early picks will be impacted and pushed back whilst some later picks, especially those in rounds 3, 4, 5 will push forward depending on how many picks were spent reaching the FS bid price.

At the end of the draft X number of players are chosen. Our pick will likely be the 11th player chosen.
Or you can still think of it as pick 9, but disregard Darcy and Daicos as being in the draft. So it's pick 9 of all other available players!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
wally
Club Player

If we have a strategy covering the next few years l think the Tassie side would have to be in consideration those compromised drafts from GWS and GCS stuffed us abit

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 9:29am
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 8:41am Isn't it semantics? For example, Pick 9 means we get to choose the 11th player taken in the draft, taking into account eligible players which Daicos & Darcy are.

Or you can still think of it as pick 9, but disregard Darcy and Daicos as being in the draft. So it's pick 9 of all other available players!
You can also call it pick 1 and disregard the previous 10. It is our pick 1 afterall 😉

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

So are we better off if Collingwood and Bulldogs don't activate their FS picks until after our First pick????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:06am

So are we better off if Collingwood and Bulldogs don't activate their FS picks until after our First pick????
Completely different question isn't it?

If they activate their FS selection before us, it means those players have been rated better than Pick 9, pushing our chosen player outside the Top 10 to the 11th best player, essentially and effectively Pick 11.

If they do not activate their FS selection then neither player is deemed by us or 8 others as a better selection. This will not be the case though.

It will help our later selections as no players will have been chosen with the picks used by Collingwood & the Dogs to match bids.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:17am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:06am

Completely different question isn't it?

If they activate their FS selection before us, it means those players have been rated better than Pick 9, pushing our chosen player outside the Top 10 to the 11th best player, essentially and effectively Pick 11.

If they do not activate their FS selection then neither player is deemed by us or 8 others as a better selection. This will not be the case though.

It will help our later selections as no players will have been chosen with the picks used by Collingwood & the Dogs to match bids.
No - not a different question - in past years people have whinged about being pushed down the draft order because of Father Son - when those picks are never actually going to be available to us.

Compensation picks and Priority Picks - they are the ones that dilute our draft picks - Shoe horning a Compo pick in front of ours is the ones we should get upset about.

― Aristophanes

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

No one's getting upset. Just saying if two FS players have bids matched before us, then we will subjectively be choosing the 11th best player...let's call that for what it is, pick 11.

If those bids are not matched then we get to pick the 9th best...pick 9.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:27am No one's getting upset. Just saying if two FS players have bids matched before us, then we will subjectively be choosing the 11th best player...let's call that for what it is, pick 11.

[No one's getting upset] ....... Yet - wait until Draft night - it has been the same year after year

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:37am
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:27am No one's getting upset. Just saying if two FS players have bids matched before us, then we will subjectively be choosing the 11th best player...let's call that for what it is, pick 11.

[No one's getting upset] ....... Yet - wait until Draft night - it has been the same year after year
There's no way I'm waiting until draft night to get upset.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 9:31am If we have a strategy covering the next few years l think the Tassie side would have to be in consideration those compromised drafts from GWS and GCS stuffed us abit
More than a bit IMHFO.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 11:35am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:37am

There's no way I'm waiting until draft night to get upset.
Kosi - I know - I have already made a Tin Foil Hat for you

― Aristophanes