Junction Oval in funding crisis.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junction Oval in funding crisis.

Saint 58 wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 3:46pm My opinion ...

VERY long term - the future for our club is very bleak:
- Too many teams in Melbourne
- Financially not great
- Historically unsuccessful
- We are or will be a target (along with Nth, WB, Melb)
- (55,000+ members is a positive)

If we could turn the JO into something like what the Cats have, (& eventually into what WC have):
- 40,000 capacity stadium (eventually 60,000 capacity)
- 95% Saints supporters at home games
- winning most of our home games
- huge advantage to play finals most years
- more free agents coming to us
- more sponsorship $$

Forget about where would the $$ would come from, getting to the ground, etc.

Note:
Prahran Station, Windsor Station, trams lines, new Anzac Station, bus services
Fxxxing walk like we used to or still do to get to the MCG & other grounds
Moorabbin would still be used, maybe becoming the AFLW home ground

Think about this from the club future point of view, not from your personal point of view ...

Would you say yes or would you say no ?
I would say no. The ground belongs to cricket and the Victorian Government would be against it.

It is not up for sale as far as I am aware, and we couldn't afford it anyway.

Saints are not going to walk away from Moorabbin.

Saint 58
Club Player

Fair points but:
- Governments change (or change their decisions/policies)
- Geelong doesn’t own theirs, WC doesn’t own theirs
- I did not say we would walk away from Moorabbin

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

- Financially not great

If we could turn the JO into something like what the Cats have, (& eventually into what WC have):
- more sponsorship $$

Note:

Think about this from the club future point of view, not from your personal point of view ...

I would say yes.
You made some great points..

Saynta’s point about Not for sale, vic govern says this, cricket wants that are not written in stone…all agents are for sale. It’s a dynamic and changing landscape and it has to be.

Collingwood are not in Collingwood but they are not about to go to Tassie either..nor Carlton, too powerful.

St Kilda has the iconic name and a famous iconic location…use it!

You know the Olympic Games we’re gonna be at Princes Park! Carlton did the deal, got the agreement and at the last hour John Cain senior switched the deal to the MCG…moreover cricket!

His son made the deal that got the Grand Final back to the MCG…Waverley was looming large…

All things can change…all parties are open to deals…

Last time we did a deal with Kingston Council to develop Moorabbin it lasted 14 years. 2007 divorce…it can all go sideways quickly.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t the ground belong to StK CC and is just the HQ for CV?

And don’t worry about CV being broke

They will be propped up by CA just like StK is by the AFL

Saint 58
Club Player

Owned by Vic Gov.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 3:27pm WHY? Is Collingwood based in Collingwood?
It isn't, been at Olympic Park for years. Why did Essondon leave Windy Hill?

Saint supporter since '62
St Plugger
Club Player

There are 3 ways the AFL Saints will leave Moorabbin and none will be the JO. The 3 in preferential order are: Relocation, [to Tassie before anywhere else]; Amalgamation, with 1 [or more] Melbourne club; Insolvency/Loss of licence.

amusingname
Club Player

- Financially not great

- more sponsorship $$

Note:

So if we disregard the AFL not needing or wanting a new ground (which is what what you are proposing, not a refurb of the junction, a complete new stadium to reach that capacity), with no need to consider where the money comes from and who owns it, would we want it?

In this fantasy scenario where reality doesn’t matter, yeah probably would be good. But in this fantasy we also have an amazing team and win premierships at the drop of a hat, so why not have some games in a 40k capacity ground.

amusingname
Club Player

I forgot, this new stadium can be upgraded to 60k capacity somehow, even better! Why not 80k!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The 'issue' of crowd access to the JO is a total non-issue.

It's a total non-issue every (non-Covid) year for the 250,000 people who go to the international event known as the Gran Prix.

It's a total non-issue every (non-Covid) year for the up to 700,000 people who go to the (should be an) international event known as the St Kilda Music Festival.

(That's 700,000 more than the all time total attendance for the Moorabbin Music Festival, btw. :wink: )

It was even a total non-issue for the breakaway VFL back in the late 1890s.

So much so of a total non-issue, that was the only reason why 'hopeless' St Kilda got invited to join. :oops: The fledgling VFL didn't want their mortal enemies at the VFA to have the use of such a well located and easily accessed ground.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 3:27pm WHY? Is Collingwood based in Collingwood?
Sorta'.

Was great when the prison-bar mob left - despite the $3 million clean-up bill they left Yarra Council with. :evil: But hey, the old ground was duly fumigated, and came up pretty well.

Unfortunately, the Skunk reserves have since been allowed back in to play most of their home games. But on the upside, being only the reserves team, the local crime rate hasn't really been affected.

And for me it's a short stroll when Sandy plays there. Interestingly, Sandy hasn't lost a game there that I've seen... H&A or finals. So it's not all bad. :D
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If the zjunction in StKilda was a viable option, Hawthorn would have it by now.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:00pm If the zjunction in StKilda was a viable option, Hawthorn would have it by now.
Not unless there's another once in a club's lifetime event that sees them handed a $26 million asset for a token $1.

Besides, where would a team that wears a piss-poo jumper feel more at home than somewhere like the Dingley tip? (I'm calling it now. They're no longer a destination club, and so that move will prove to be a huge blunder.)

The JO is the single event where my Saints have most pissed me off. I'm still seething!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
- AFl wanted us there (to free up MCG for start of footy season).
- AFL Grand High Poobah a rabid Sainta.
- Lindsay Fox was going to help bankroll us. (And for that, I'd happily look the other way... if needed).
- Once Were Liberals government wanted us there. So we aligned ourselves with them.

Except... they lost the election. :oops:

How <site swear sensor working over time/going into meltdown> stoopid was our BOM in not playing on both sides of the political fence!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x That's standard business practice 101, because sooner or later, the other mob will be in power.

And to rub it in... Fox is mates with both the state Laboral parties. And he's mates with Chairman Dan. (Not so sure re Fox's son anymore though? Maybe The Captain knows more on that one...? )

In other words... how duh could we have possibly been handed the golden chalice on a platter... and still managed to stuff it up. Summaluvin', Nutters' and Co's 'greatest' gift to us!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x

PS: Any political references in this post are relevant, accurate (the truth is the best defence), balanced, intentional, and most importantly... are necessary to provide some context. Still not happy? Feel free to report away then. Knock yourselves out. (Oh, btw, that's a turn of phrase. Not, a call to self harm.)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:36pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 10:00pm If the zjunction in StKilda was a viable option, Hawthorn would have it by now.
Not unless there's another once in a club's lifetime event that sees them handed a $26 million asset for a token $1.

Besides, where would a team that wears a piss-poo jumper feel more at home than somewhere like the Dingley tip? (I'm calling it now. They're no longer a destination club, and so that move will prove to be a huge blunder.)

The JO is the single event where my Saints have most pissed me off. I'm still seething!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
- AFl wanted us there (to free up MCG for start of footy season).
- AFL Grand High Poobah a rabid Sainta.
- Lindsay Fox was going to help bankroll us. (And for that, I'd happily look the other way... if needed).
- Once Were Liberals government wanted us there. So we aligned ourselves with them.

Except... they lost the election. :oops:

How <site swear sensor working over time/going into meltdown> stoopid was our BOM in not playing on both sides of the political fence!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x That's standard business practice 101, because sooner or later, the other mob will be in power.

And to rub it in... Fox is mates with both the state Laboral parties. And he's mates with Chairman Dan. (Not so sure re Fox's son anymore though? Maybe The Captain knows more on that one...? )

In other words... how duh could we have possibly been handed the golden chalice on a platter... and still managed to stuff it up. Summaluvin', Nutters' and Co's 'greatest' gift to us!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x

PS: Any political references in this post are relevant, accurate (the truth is the best defence), balanced, intentional, and most importantly... are necessary to provide some context. Still not happy? Feel free to report away then. Knock yourselves out. (Oh, btw, that's a turn of phrase. Not, a call to self harm.)
Like.

I'm trying not to push buttons.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

If Hawthorn looked to the pearls of wisdom posted in this thread, and the grey matter driving them, it would immediately abandon Dingley and AFL Park and return to Glenferrie Oval. And get rid of the Hawks and become the Mayblooms again. And cease celebrating premierships and resume cherishing wooden spoons.

Saint supporter since '62
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember going to a match at the JO when Fitzroy was based there and played the Saints- maybe in the early '80s? Nice ground to watch the footy at. Times have changed in the footy world and we won't see the Saints back there. Back in the very old days of the Saints at JO(before my time), lots of musos, actors, writers, artists and the like lived around the area, and some used to try out at the Saints to get a game to supplement their low incomes. St Kilda is vastly different now.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would we go back to sharing an oval with StK CC???

Wasn’t that the issue to begin with??

It’s not just the StK CC now either, CV headquarters are there and it’s the bushrangers training base and all the Vic development teams (U15/19s) the girls rep teams all are based out of the junction.

I can’t think of 1 good reason why we would ever go back there.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 3:46pm Why would we go back to sharing an oval with StK CC???

It’s not just the StK CC now either, CV headquarters are there and it’s the bushrangers training base and all the Vic development teams (U15/19s) the girls rep teams all are based out of the junction.

I agree B.M and the funding crisis is not our problem.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 3:46pm Why would we go back to sharing an oval with StK CC???

Hi Mart.

You've played more cricket than me. And at a much higher standard. (And if not the latter, then you must have been a mug cricketer. :P ) So I feel that you are more than qualified for me to ask this question of...

How much turf centre wicket cricket (matches, or even just centre wicket practice) takes place during a Melbourne winter...?

PS: The short-sighted mugs running CV (is that a political comment...?) failed to see the mutual synergies in sharing. The first thing that cost them was $15 million less in the JO re-development budget.

And things haven't improved from there, as is now been evidenced by CV's disastrous balance sheet. :idea:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At club level most winter training is done indoor.

I’m thinking more about Summer when cricket is being played at the junction.
And AFL Pre Season is happening?

I’ve played there against StK and it’s a pristine ground with arguably the best deck in premier cricket.

They definitely would not want people training on the surface, and the square is roped off (and it’s 5 pitches)

Footy during winter can chop up the ground a bit (and pitch - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) but it can take some time for the ground to fully recover.

The Junction is and has always been a cricket ground first, and that was the reason we moved in the 60s

Port Melbourne are in a similar situation with North Port oval.

ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 1:47pm St Kilda, on the other hand is a magnet. An iconic magnet for tourists, and when I mean tourists, I mean people from Parkdale to Peru! , Chelsea to China!
An iconic magnet for tourists.
I live in St Kilda overlooking St Kilda beach.
Let me do a fact check.
I'll go to my front window and report back.

No tourists to be seen.
No motor or pedestrian traffic.
No shopping traffic.
No live music.
Triangle Site empty except for tents of drive thru and a walk thru covid testing stations - Not in Use
Dead as a doornail.

Fact Check = False

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Cudos to Essendon for recognizing their spiritual home, and pouring funds into redeveloping Windy Hill with the intention of playing VFL and AWFL games there.

They will stay at Tulla for training, as we should at Moorabbin but they are marking their turf in a smart way, in the heart of Essendon, as we should do in St Kilda.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/07/ ... 0-million/

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

AWFL season is from Jan thru to March and there is still cricket being played at the JO - incl. Women's ODIs & NCL games, Marsh One Day Cup games and even some Shield games ...... well there was last season and likely so this season so not sure how that would work

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

base at moorabin, train at moorabin, women play at moorabin, we get a game or two every year at the JO. everyone wins.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021 7:46pm base at moorabin, train at moorabin, women play at moorabin, we get a game or two every year at the JO. everyone wins.
Petracca does his knee on the hard pitch centre ..... perfect :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!