Open letter (open post?) to Simon re permanent bannings.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Is there a better alternative to permanently banning our very naughty boys (and girls)?

Is there a better alternative to permanently banning our very naughty boys (and girls)?
75%
25%

Total votes: 20

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open letter (open post?) to Simon re permanent bannings.

'n i suppose

whilst we are at it

what about some stats on the below re writing of history

As for the exodus from Saintsational - the major exodus was before my time.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021 5:31pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 9:45pm [
I merely pointed out to Byron that he was out of touch when he tried to implicate a former mod in the banning of TB. His reaction got him banned.

He overreacted. Not my problem.
"Merely pointed out".

That would be something like, "KFT is no longer a mod".
That's pointing out. A bit of kindness. Letting someone know something they've missed. That kind of thing.

Describing someone as "out of touch" and adding rolly eyes is rude and insulting. It's consistent with your history of ongoing low level sniping.
The only thing wrong with the post for which I copped a day's holiday was the use of the word "f*****". That was over the line and worthy of a holiday.

The essence of the message that you're often abrasive and unpleasant stands. And if there's no room on the forum for calling out that kind of behaviour then what to do.

That you now seek to position yourself as a rule follower and on the high moral ground is a position, the irony of which won't be lost on anyone who's been on here for any length of time.
You are part of a little group that pile on supporting each other once one of your group attacks me. This has been going on for years. Obvious in this thread too. You have all, or most of you, had your go. It's as certain as day following night time. Unlike you and the post that got you banned, I do follow the rules. I have ignored one of your group for years but that hasn't stopped him making things up or trolling back through my posts in an attempt to discredit me.

It is obvious that your group don't like me. I can assure you that the feelings are mutual.

You tried to implicate a poster in the banning of TB, which you may have considered unjust. You got the reply from me you deserved, and I make no apology for that.

I have never read more one sided hypercritical rubbish on this forum than what is contained in this thread. Ever.

In future, if someone makes a direct offensive attack on me or calls me names, like you did, I will report that post and I would also expect you lot to do the same.

Fair warning.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 7:14am
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 1:12am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 7:33pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 5:23pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 11:58am Constant harassment +/- 5% is ok.
A 63 year old politically themed joke is a severe breach.
Get with it guys FFS.
Yes - political assassinations are hilarious. Should definitely be encouraged??? You may think it is funny, but I certainly do not. No atetr who the butt of the joke is.

This is a football forum. Political commentary of any kind has no place here at all and that is clearly stated.
I didn't say it was hilarious and I understand your sensitivity. The current political climate must be torture for you.
why would the current political climate be torture for me???

I am really interested in this reply!
Just the amount of political satire around atm. Particularly on this site. But your are probably only aware of the stuff that gets reported, I guess. Given your strong views on it, that would be a challenge.
What are my strong views? I am both intrigued!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

If this thread serves any purpose, is that it has helped to clarify what is or isn't allowed, and what should be reported.

If people learn from it then good.

A mods task is a thankless one.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 2:41pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 7:14am
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 1:12am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 7:33pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 5:23pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 11:58am Constant harassment +/- 5% is ok.
A 63 year old politically themed joke is a severe breach.
Get with it guys FFS.
Yes - political assassinations are hilarious. Should definitely be encouraged??? You may think it is funny, but I certainly do not. No atetr who the butt of the joke is.

This is a football forum. Political commentary of any kind has no place here at all and that is clearly stated.
I didn't say it was hilarious and I understand your sensitivity. The current political climate must be torture for you.
why would the current political climate be torture for me???

I am really interested in this reply!
Just the amount of political satire around atm. Particularly on this site. But your are probably only aware of the stuff that gets reported, I guess. Given your strong views on it, that would be a challenge.
What are my strong views? I am both intrigued!
You are both intrigued? Which one am I talking to.

About a silly joke, with a political theme, clearly satirical, being turned into a call for the death of politicians and being adjudicated as a severe breach of your rules. Enough said really.

By the way, wasnt it a footballer being placed in that room with a gun and also, wasnt the political theme started before TB posted.

Why don't you answer some of my other questions?

Because you don't have to, you've made your position clear and we are having your poll. Let's just get the result and get on with it.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

No.

Not until you explain what you mean by "The current political climate must be torture for you."

And then I shall gladly answer anything.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 2:59pm No.

Not until you explain what you mean by "The current political climate must be torture for you."

Really. Its quite obvious.

Most of the country are not happy with our politicians atm. Nothing new really but with Covid, lockdowns and the rest there's a bit of backlash going to our pollies.

That leaks into here all the time. The 6 people who think TB should be outed (I'm only guessing) must be keeping you on your toes reporting them all. :lol:

That must be torture.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 3:10pm

Most of the country are not happy with our politicians atm. Nothing new really but with Covid, lockdowns and the rest there's a bit of backlash going to our pollies.

That leaks into here all the time. The 6 people who think TB should be outed (I'm only guessing) must be keeping you on your toes reporting them all. :lol:

That must be torture.
My goodness.

I really cannot follow your logic at all.

Only had one political post reported.

You have pointed out ONE other one in that same thread.

That one was MINOR and even when I went back to assess it, I thought it was worthy of a one day ban at best (it merely mentioned two politicians in reference to Toby Greene's potential punishment - so on topic) whilst the post that resulted in the ban advocated shooting a third politician twice.

I really don't care what party the politicians are from.

I have ZERO political affiliation or bias.

I am completely disinterested in the whole poiltical spectrum.

However this forum will not be a party to advocating violence against anyone including politicians.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 3:25pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 3:10pm

That must be torture.
My goodness.

I really cannot follow your logic at all.

Only had one political post reported.

You have pointed out ONE other one in that same thread.

That one was MINOR and even when I went back to assess it, I thought it was worthy of a one day ban at best (it merely mentioned two politicians in reference to Toby Greene's potential punishment - so on topic) whilst the post that resulted in the ban advocated shooting a third politician twice.

I really don't care what party the politicians are from.

I have ZERO political affiliation or bias.

I am completely disinterested in the whole poiltical spectrum.

However this forum will not be a party to advocating violence against anyone including politicians.
No problem. I dont care who you vote for, never have. I dont advocate violence either except vs Collingwood and Geelong maybe.

That was a lovely little waltz. Glad we had another spin. I answered your question.

I have several unanswered from you about the way you interpret and apply your own rules and processes but tbh, I'm not holding my breath and to be fair, you probably have better things to do.

I'm just happy with the result, I'm sure you are too. (did you vote? :lol: )

I'm certain TB's last 1 week ban would have went the same way had we tested it but we will never know for sure because that would mean your judgement would be tested.

Peace out.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Advocated?
Scratching my head as to how tb recommended, supported or suggested violence against anything?
Is there an urban dictionary definition of the word i'm unaware of?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 5:53pm Advocated?
Scratching my head as to how tb recommended, supported or suggested violence against anything?
Is there an urban dictionary definition of the word i'm unaware of?
Haha that is a great call :lol:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 4:56pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 12:35am Hi Simon,

You've put a lot of effort into this topic, which (further) confirms that this site means something to you. And come on Simon. Be honest, the posters do too. (Well, some of them. :wink: )

So realIy doubt you want to see your Saintsational baby wither and die. All that effort and love (be honest again :) ) would then become for nothing.

The request. Our request. My request. Please introduce an alternative way to deal with those who won't do "the polite and correct thing by moving to the left".

And that alternative way is simply to introduce cumulative holidays c/f permanent bans. And just like with your drivers' license analogy, also introduce a period after which earlier bans expire from the record.

It would be win/win/win.

Those who won't move from a position on the right are subdued.
Your workload would not be increased.
And most importantly of all, IMHO, this site's valuable history would be retained.

Thanks again for your consideration.

- Dave.

PS: Ok, gotta' admit. I would miss the sweeps that are run as to how long it is before a newbie as confirmed as being a previously banished poster. :D
Even if it were possible in the phpBB admin panel, doo you honestly think that running a spreadsheet on every offending poster in terms of how many bans they have (and how long there next one should be) and a demerit point system (where points evaporateafter a set period of time) is making things easier for me?

Thanks for the suggestion and whilst it has merit, I do not have the time to administer that system and then integrate it into the limited banning options that phpBB offers.
This is good stuff Simon. Seems the positions are coming closer together. :)

Yes, we agree there's merit. A great start. :)

So what about the workload concerns? Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong here... but what we've proposed would not (have to) take up any more of your time Simon. So for example...

Cumulative bans:
- TB gets a 1 week ban for CHO'g.
- TB (arguably unwittingly) doubles down - gets 2 week ban. (Another 1 week + that first 1 week.)
- TB still won't do the polite and correct thing - gets a 3 week ban. (1 week + the previous cumulative 2 weeks.)

And so on. No spreadsheet needed. The info' is already there in the Holidays Thread in the Admin Forum.

'Demerit points' expiration:
- If the phpBB admin panel doesn't already provide the dates of each ban (I wouldn't know...?), then simply write the date in with each new ban when posting it in the Holidays Thread.
- So, when issuing a new ban to TB for still failing to do the correct and polite thing, you'd simply check the date of those previous misdemeanours to see if any of them have expired.

Both parties goals and concerns seem to me to be being met(?)
- Miscreants reigned in, so SS is kept civil and free from rude posters who won't move to the left.
- Your time is not further impinged upon.
- Saintsational's valuable history protected.

That's win, win, and win Simon.

- Dave.

PS: And what politician wouldn't 'kill' for TB's 83% approval rating? :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i vote dave to be the data entry clerk! go dave!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 9:15pm i vote dave to be the data entry clerk! go dave!
Would prefer Aeon Flux myself.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 8:47pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 12:35am Hi Simon,

You've put a lot of effort into this topic, which (further) confirms that this site means something to you. And come on Simon. Be honest, the posters do too. (Well, some of them. :wink: )

So realIy doubt you want to see your Saintsational baby wither and die. All that effort and love (be honest again :) ) would then become for nothing.

The request. Our request. My request. Please introduce an alternative way to deal with those who won't do "the polite and correct thing by moving to the left".

And that alternative way is simply to introduce cumulative holidays c/f permanent bans. And just like with your drivers' license analogy, also introduce a period after which earlier bans expire from the record.

It would be win/win/win.

And most importantly of all, IMHO, this site's valuable history would be retained.

- Dave.

PS: Ok, gotta' admit. I would miss the sweeps that are run as to how long it is before a newbie as confirmed as being a previously banished poster. :D
Even if it were possible in the phpBB admin panel, doo you honestly think that running a spreadsheet on every offending poster in terms of how many bans they have (and how long there next one should be) and a demerit point system (where points evaporateafter a set period of time) is making things easier for me?

Thanks for the suggestion and whilst it has merit, I do not have the time to administer that system and then integrate it into the limited banning options that phpBB offers.

So what about the workload concerns? Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong here... but what we've proposed would not (have to) take up any more of your time Simon. So for example...

Cumulative bans:
- TB (arguably unwittingly) doubles down - gets 2 week ban. (Another 1 week + that first 1 week.)
- TB still won't do the polite and correct thing - gets a 3 week ban. (1 week + the previous cumulative 2 weeks.)

And so on. No spreadsheet needed. The info' is already there in the Holidays Thread in the Admin Forum.

- If the phpBB admin panel doesn't already provide the dates of each ban (I wouldn't know...?), then simply write the date in with each new ban when posting it in the Holidays Thread.
- So, when issuing a new ban to TB for still failing to do the correct and polite thing, you'd simply check the date of those previous misdemeanours to see if any of them have expired.

- Miscreants reigned in, so SS is kept civil and free from rude posters who won't move to the left.

- Dave.

The dates and details of bans are not kept by phpBB once the ban expires.

So that''s why I kleep tabs in the admin forum.

Under your system a spreadsheet and calendar would have to be meticulously maintained.

Are you volunteering to do that???

And under this system with the weekly penalties doubling from a week to two weeks to four weeks to eight weeks etc ... do you really think the outcome will be different? People will still be pissed off that they have been banned ... and of course take no responsibility for what they wrote out of free choice

asiu
Saintsational Legend

being banned sucks bigtime

this is the local hang
we've been dagging with each other
for years n years

not being able call in
and do the do
is a huge change to the rhythm

even a 1 dayer received on my birthday
really pissed me off

but like most
we suck it up

the cho thing .. set this 'affair' up

maybe a backdoor answer
(without the need for a spreadsheet)

is .... erasing a months ban from the record
after 7 months

theres a lot of boys on that list
who copped bans over the cho thing
... intentionally it would seem

trying to 'make a point'

coz none of em are site rabble rousers

just an idea

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 11:00pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 8:47pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 12:35am
Hi Simon,

It would be win/win/win.

- Dave.

Cumulative bans:

- Dave.

So that''s why I kleep tabs in the admin forum.

Under your system a spreadsheet and calendar would have to be meticulously maintained.

And under this system with the weekly penalties doubling from a week to two weeks to four weeks to eight weeks etc ... do you really think the outcome will be different? People will still be pissed off that they have been banned ... and of course take no responsibility for what they wrote out of free choice

Hi Simon,

The positions are coming even closer together. :)

No problemo. As per above, the date could just be written in next to each new holiday as it's posted.

I don't think so.

Sure. (As would heaps of others. As per above, you aren't in this alone Simon, nor do you have to be. People are willing to help you carry the load. :) )

I think the outcome would be different.

But if not, so what? Someone plays-up continually, then they're out of your hair for four to eight weeks. The next time it's 16 weeks. Then 32 weeks (8 months) if they still fail to do the polite and correct thing by moving their posting to the left lane...

Then there's the new nic and a fresh start thing. We can see what you mean here Simon, and it's a good sentiment. However, I can't see that it works in practice. We all know/soon know (hence running the sweeps :wink: ) the true identity of the newbie.

So I see your well-intentioned aim on that as unnecessary. (As per above, everyone soon knows who they are, and if they continue to misbehave, then they're soon on another extended holiday, and so out of your hair.) Meanwhile though, the loss of an iconic nic means Saintsational loses a bit more of its history. And never more so than with True Believer.

True Believer is the only muppet poster that we recognise here on Saintsational! :idea:

Thanks again for your consideration Simon.

- Dave.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Give it a rest Dave FFS. Some of are happy how the forum is run at the moment.