No Harvs for us ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

No Harvs for us ....

:evil:

Goddamit. Harvs has joined Hawthorn's coaching team. I was so hoping we'd be able to get him home.

FFS

Go you red, black & white warriors
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: No Harvs for us ....

Still time. Doing final years of apprenticeship perhaps.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:20pm Still time. Doing final years of apprenticeship perhaps.
That's gotta be a very long apprenticeship. FFS - can you imagine Harvs teaching our midfield how to execute the perfectly weighted 20m dink kick to Max? If Max got delivery from our mids like Harvs and Winmar put it on a platter for Plugger - Max would have a sore right instep by R10 from slotting bags of majors each weekend.

Urrrrgh :(

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I don't think Ratts would like having Harvs breathing down his neck as an assistant. I have no issue with this.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:29pm I don't think Ratts would like having Harvs breathing down his neck as an assistant. I have no issue with this.
Che? You do remember that Harvs was an Assistant to Ratten when he was Senior Coach at Carltoon yeah?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:29pm I don't think Ratts would like having Harvs breathing down his neck as an assistant. I have no issue with this.
Me either. Besides we burnt Banger before. Would like former Saint McQualter from the Tigers but so would the filth and Carlton, or so I hear,

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Unless he’s going for the big job… I just don’t think it would have been a good career move for Harves to come back here at this stage
He’s done a few stints with us already.

Diversifying away from the clubs he’s worked with already seems like a good move. Hawthorn a logical next choice though ideally for him… he needs to go somewhere where they have some success.

That’s a good point actually… have any of the teams where he’s been placed gone deep in September?

saint64
Club Player

This is a real missed opportunity IMO. He is one of our greatest ever (top 5).

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Good luck Harvs, watch out for Kennett :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Harves may have worked for Ratten at Carlton but I doubt Ratten wants him at the Saints with one year left on his contract.

A shame as it would be have been nice to welcome Harves back into the fold. Surely his senior ambitions are over.

There's always Lenny Hayes, I guess.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Harvs has made it clear to St Kilda Board the only position he is interested in is the Senior Role.
He applied in Nov 2011, Nov 2013, August 2019.

He is not coming back in any way shape or form unless it's as senior coach.

The Peanut
Club Player

When Banger was asked on SEN today whether he was interested in a senior coaching position in the future he said something like this. "Well ... at 50 years old ..." Giving me the impression that he meant he is but perhaps his time is running out - guess the 50 years means when he's contract at Hawks is up, surely he can't be 50 already? He did confirm he always wanted to be a senior coach.

lewdogs
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 5:59pm Harvs has made it clear to St Kilda Board the only position he is interested in is the Senior Role.

It's quite incredible that he's never had a senior gig, when you look at some of the guys that have. Seriously must just be a case of bad luck. Teague basically fell into one. Same with Rhyce Shaw.

To think those two have had the opportunity but Harves hasn't is sad.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 5:59pm Harvs has made it clear to St Kilda Board the only position he is interested in is the Senior Role.

yet he goes to Hawthorn and not a senior role.

This does sadden me.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 9:47pm

yet he goes to Hawthorn and not a senior role.

This does sadden me.
Me too. Also makes me sh1tty.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 3:25pm Unless he’s going for the big job… I just don’t think it would have been a good career move for Harves to come back here at this stage

Diversifying away from the clubs he’s worked with already seems like a good move. Hawthorn a logical next choice though ideally for him… he needs to go somewhere where they have some success.

That’s a good point actually… have any of the teams where he’s been placed gone deep in September?
Ummm - if Dom Sheed hadn’t kicked one out of his ars3 … Harvs would be a Premiership Snr Assistant. The year after, they got narrowly pipped in a Prelim by GWS.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:35pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 3:25pm Unless he’s going for the big job… I just don’t think it would have been a good career move for Harves to come back here at this stage

Ummm - if Dom Sheed hadn’t kicked one out of his ars3 … Harvs would be a Premiership Snr Assistant. The year after, they got narrowly pipped in a Prelim by GWS.
Geeeez... right you are
Completely forgot that Collingwood were semi decent only a few years back

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 7:58pm

It's quite incredible that he's never had a senior gig, when you look at some of the guys that have. Seriously must just be a case of bad luck. Teague basically fell into one. Same with Rhyce Shaw.

He had that one bad interview for us in 2011. It's said he sort of froze and couldn't put into words his 5 year plan for the team.

Then Scott Waters came in and supposedly had everyone in tears with laughter then laid out a PowerPoint 5 year map

Harvs had zero chance.

I heard he had turned in a really good written plan for the team and I wonder why they didn't consider this and that knowing him at the time he was not overly vocal.

He's certainly developed amazingly and his next two attempts never got to a point where he was seriously considered.

I think he'd be pretty good but not great. That said there are very few great coaches and even fewer great coaches who get teams full of talent to win the lot....seen plenty of great coaches crumble under the weight of a team full of chumps.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 5:12pm

He had that one bad interview for us in 2011. It's said he sort of froze and couldn't put into words his 5 year plan for the team.

Then Scott Waters came in and supposedly had everyone in tears with laughter then laid out a PowerPoint 5 year map

Harvs had zero chance.

I heard he had turned in a really good written plan for the team and I wonder why they didn't consider this and that knowing him at the time he was not overly vocal.

He's certainly developed amazingly and his next two attempts never got to a point where he was seriously considered.

I think he'd be pretty good but not great. That said there are very few great coaches and even fewer great coaches who get teams full of talent to win the lot....seen plenty of great coaches crumble under the weight of a team full of chumps.
Had one bad interview in 2011.

Permanently cancelled
What bullocks..
But!
Do I have a better plan for all the BS that now constitutes , ‘fair process’?
No.
What a shame.
Cancelled Robby. What balderdash.

Come what may…Mr. Banger Harvey be da coach of St Kilda one day.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:45pm
Me either. Besides we burnt Banger before. Would like former Saint McQualter from the Tigers but so would the filth and Carlton, or so I hear,
banger burnt us, not the other way round.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:00am
How so?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saintly wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:00am
Do tell

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 9:15pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 5:12pm

Harvs had zero chance.

Had one bad interview in 2011.

Permanently cancelled
What bullocks..
But!
Do I have a better plan for all the BS that now constitutes , ‘fair process’?
No.
What a shame.
Cancelled Robby. What balderdash.

Come what may…Mr. Banger Harvey be da coach of St Kilda one day.
Yep
Chris Pelxhen & co. on the committee in 2011 made Harvs the 'interim' coach but it seems that was some kind of token? I thought a club legend who was already interim coach.would get some extra credit?

But maybe they were giving him a chance already?

He never made it to final round. Watters, Hinkley and Sir Alan Richardson made through...I often wish we'd have taken Hinkley and seen where it took us.

Harvs has never made it to a final round in any senior coach offering...that may indicate he lacks something they look for in a senior?

I really don't know what that is though.