How far off are we?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: How far off are we?

The question is how do you get A class drafted in...
This years some top end mid talent will be there at 11
Next year IF we get Bing I’d look to trade a Membery to get another top end pick IF Sharman continues to develop...a Gold Coast could use a Membrey if they lose Bing...maybe that means we get to keep a pick to go mid again??
Point is well need to be creative

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll laugh my my arse off if we take a tall with pick 11

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And yet, half way through the 3rd Quarter the Doggies had a 19 point lead and looked likely to run away with the game.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think back to Carlton beating us easily when I gauge how far we are off.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 11:45am I think back to Carlton beating us easily when I gauge how far we are off.
Ratten has given reasons for that loss, quick turn around, lots of travel and the team were really flat and lacked energy. Even Melbourne and the Bulldogs had off days it happens.

I know its unlikely but how much better off would we be if we had the majority of our list available all year. Getting 23 games out of Carlilse, Hannebrey, Gresham, Paton, Clark, Jones, Ryder & Marshall would shoot us into top 4 calculations. There is a reason the club have changed the fitness and conditioning staff at seasons end. When they get that right it will make a huge difference to the sides win/loss rates.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 11:45am I think back to Carlton beating us easily when I gauge how far we are off.
That was a terrible result in what was a very important and winnable match to help us get into finals. We also blew the Adelaide game where we were looking good for a win, then our midfield went missing in the third quarter and blew it again. We almost lost to Collingwood after being miles in front. Our midfield in games seems to have brain fades too often.

Furphy
Club Player

I'll be 63 next month,. Don't reckon I'll see a Sainter flag in my lifetime

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 2:13pm I'll be 63 next month,. Don't reckon I'll see a Sainter flag in my lifetime
I hearya

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 1:36pm
That was a terrible result in what was a very important and winnable match to help us get into finals. We also blew the Adelaide game where we were looking good for a win, then our midfield went missing in the third quarter and blew it again. We almost lost to Collingwood after being miles in front. Our midfield in games seems to have brain fades too often.
until these type of performances are eradicated we will always be a long way off.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Injuries played a major part in St Kilda's poor season, plus the reported weak pre-season preparation.

I am satisfied that the current playing list, to be augmented in the forthcoming drafts and trading periods, is good enough to be very successful.

Fresh faces in the coaching box will inject new ideas to help Brett Ratten to improve his strategies and game plans to get the best out of the players.

For St Kilda to make the 8 and possibly top 4 in 2022 it will require the players to bond as a team and make personal commitments to train harder than ever to elevate their individual fitness and staying power, plus skill levels in all aspects of the game, all of which will give them the confidence, as it did the Melbourne players this year, to become the best team in the comp.

Like the leaders at Melbourne FC, club leaders at St Kilda need to develop a hunger to win every game, and reward the tens of thousands of Saints supporters who have stuck with the club through thick and thin for 55 years without achieving ultimate success.

And Furphy, don't despair, I'll be 82 in December and remain fully confident I'll live to see another premiership :lol: :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 3:08pm
spert wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 1:36pm
until these type of performances are eradicated we will always be a long way off.
Yep. The doggies still look a fair way off and they just played one.

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda is Petracca and Bontempelli off.

It takes clubs about 10 to 12 years to cycle through players and then a new generation begins.
In that cycle you should bottom out and get extreme low draft picks.
If you get them right due to astute recruiting or good luck you may get a premiership.
Premierships are not gifted because 17 other clubs want them, they have to be earned.

So let me make it clear, St Kilda had extreme low draft picks,
St Kilda take Petracca instead of McCartin and Bontempelli instead of Billings they become a genuine destination club that everyone wants to join.
Disciplined contract payments and St Kilda is 2021 - 2025 premiers at least.

St Kilda might play finals this cycle but won't win a premiership.
St Kilda had a fish brain in charge of recruiting.
A combination of plain stupidity and possibly a bit of bad luck, they missed Petracca and Bontempelli.
It does matter how unlucky or stupid you are, you get punished for 12 years if you get it wrong.

When the present team eventually collapses to the bottom of the ladder St Kilda will be given the chance to pick Petracca2.0 and Bontempelli2.0.
Get them right and a premiership is possible 12 years from now.
Get them wrong, the wait is another 12 years.

The one thing St Kilda can't afford is to have a fish or other form of clown in charge of recruiting when they cycle to the bottom again.
That is the time when the recruitment department needs to more than elite, no matter the cost.
Last edited by ace on Mon 27 Sep 2021 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 3:32pm I am astounded at the number of posters that still add an E to Clark's name after he has been on the list since 2017.

I am starting to think that some posters do it on purpose to annoy others.

Apart from that I think the op is spot on.

I am hoping however that we will still add a couple of midfielders through the draft to be developed along with Connelly, Bytel and Byrnes,

And yes, we are not far of it, no matter how awesome the Dees looked last night.

From halfway through the 3rd quarter, the doggies were merely witches hats.

Their season well and truly caught up with them and bit them on the arse.
I can't believe posters still spell Connolly's name as Connelly. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 3:32pm I am astounded at the number of posters that still add an E to Clark's name after he has been on the list since 2017.

I am hoping however that we will still add a couple of midfielders through the draft to be developed along with Connelly, Bytel and Byrnes,

And yes, we are not far of it, no matter how awesome the Dees looked last night.

Connolly, Bytel and Byrnes may be competitve at best.
They will never deliver the quality that Bontempelli, Petracca and Oliver did in the grand final.

They will never deliver us to the promised land.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
spert
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 4:26pm

They will never deliver the quality that Bontempelli, Petracca and Oliver did in the grand final.

I remember watching Gawn in his early days, and I would not have thought he would go on to captain a premiership team. I do think that the Dogs as a group thought they had the game in the bag around 10 mins into the 3rd quarter the other night and the whole intensity of the team dropped off as we saw when Melbourne just started getting easy possessions all over the ground. Never write off young players early in their careers.

spert
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 4:35pm

I remember watching Gawn in his early days, and I would not have thought he would go on to captain a premiership team. I do think that the Dogs as a group thought they had the game in the bag around 10 mins into the 3rd quarter the other night and the whole intensity of the team dropped off as we saw when Melbourne just started getting easy possessions all over the ground. Never write off young players early in their careers though.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 3:49pm Injuries played a major part in St Kilda's poor season, plus the reported weak pre-season preparation.

I am satisfied that the current playing list, to be augmented in the forthcoming drafts and trading periods, is good enough to be very successful.

Fresh faces in the coaching box will inject new ideas to help Brett Ratten to improve his strategies and game plans to get the best out of the players.

For St Kilda to make the 8 and possibly top 4 in 2022 it will require the players to bond as a team and make personal commitments to train harder than ever to elevate their individual fitness and staying power, plus skill levels in all aspects of the game, all of which will give them the confidence, as it did the Melbourne players this year, to become the best team in the comp.

Like the leaders at Melbourne FC, club leaders at St Kilda need to develop a hunger to win every game, and reward the tens of thousands of Saints supporters who have stuck with the club through thick and thin for 55 years without achieving ultimate success.

And Furphy, don't despair, I'll be 82 in December and remain fully confident I'll live to see another premiership :lol: :lol:
I fear you will be in a sanatorium for the extreme aged (over 120 years old) by then.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 4:19pm St Kilda is Petracca and Bontempelli off.

It takes clubs about 10 to 12 years to cycle through players and then a new generation begins.
In that cycle you should bottom out and get extreme low draft picks.
If you get them right due to astute recruiting or good luck you may get a premiership.
Premierships are not gifted because 17 other clubs want them, they have to be earned.

So let me make it clear, St Kilda had extreme low draft picks,
St Kilda take Petracca instead of McCartin and Bontempelli instead of Billings they become a genuine destination club that everyone wants to join.
Disciplined contract payments and St Kilda is 2021 - 2025 premiers at least.

St Kilda might play finals this cycle but won't win a premiership.
St Kilda had a fish brain in charge of recruiting.
A combination of plain stupidity and possibly a bit of bad luck, they missed Petracca and Bontempelli.
It does matter how unlucky or stupid you are, you get punished for 12 years if you get it wrong.

When the present team eventually collapses to the bottom of the ladder St Kilda will be given the chance to pick Petracca2.0 and Bontempelli2.0.
Get them right and a premiership is possible 12 years from now.
Get them wrong, the wait is another 12 years.

The one thing St Kilda can't afford is to have a fish or other form of clown in charge of recruiting when they cycle to the bottom again.
That is the time when the recruitment department needs to more than elite, no matter the cost.
After years of the fish brain, we had Lethlean blow in looking for instant improvement.

Get Hannebury on a huge contract. Bet the house on Hill.

These two decisions, I fear, might haunt us as much as Petracca.

Norf dicthed 12 playters and went back to the well, at the cost of short term success.

What's the bet they shoot past us within three years?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In this plan, the Ratten plan, they weren't meant to lead us anywhere. Crouch, Hill, Steele, Hanners, Ross, Gresham, Billings, Ryder and Marshall are supposed to lead.
Connelly, Byrnes and Bytel are developing kid/mids. We will take 2 more this year and then if we can't get BKing then go for Touk Miller in 22.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t Steele our Gun mid

With support from Crouch and Jones

Steele
2 x AA
2 x B&F
46 Brownlow votes in 20-21 #1 in the AFL
Most tackles 19, 20, 21

Those who bang on about not having a quality mid
WTF is Steele?!

Saint 58
Club Player

Furphy wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 2:13pm I'll be 63 next month,. Don't reckon I'll see a Sainter flag in my lifetime
Same for me on both points !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Draft some young mids.
Pick nine must go on a midfielder or we should burn the place down.

If any of the NGA kids are worth a damn we should invest if we can on the cheap.

Listening to our list manager the other day I think he knows that Bing is out of the equation.
We need a legit preseason. Fitness and durability.

If we dont improve by 10-20% next year we are just making up the numbers.

I'm starting to really think we will never win another one.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 5:41pm Isn’t Steele our Gun mid

With support from Crouch and Jones

Steele
2 x AA
2 x B&F
46 Brownlow votes in 20-21 #1 in the AFL
Most tackles 19, 20, 21

Those who bang on about not having a quality mid
WTF is Steele?!
Bontempelli looked like he would win the match for the Dogs single handed.
But Petracca and Oliver had other ideas.
They combined to win the flag for Melbourne.
Steele is more consistent but I never feel like he can do what Petracca, Oliver and Bontempelli did in the Grand Final.
Dusty has done it for Richmond in Grand Finals as well.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 6:44pm Draft some young mids.
Pick nine must go on a midfielder or we should burn the place down.

If any of the NGA kids are worth a damn we should invest if we can on the cheap.

Listening to our list manager the other day I think he knows that Bing is out of the equation.
We need a legit preseason. Fitness and durability.

If we dont improve by 10-20% next year we are just making up the numbers.

I'm starting to really think we will never win another one.
St Kilda don't need the mid you get at pick 11 which is where the Saints pick will end up.
They need the mid you get at pick 1, 2, 3 or 4
Dusty pick 3, Petracca pick 2, Oliver pick 4, Bontempelli pick 4,

And they should have got two of those players.