The huge ? Ben King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: The huge ? Ben King

If he wants to come, you take him. Yes there will be a massive price but we will then have a huge selling point to any potential FA out there. I think they'll use Bing as a swing KPP. He'll start back and only go forward as required.
We will potentially have the best forward line in the comp over the next few years. Any mid, wanting a premiership, would find that attractive.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Get it done now
Coffield and 2 first round draft picks
And they can give us back 2nd and 3rd rounders this year and next
Don’t wait move now

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Looks like we are after more DPs

I think Long may be gone for a second rounder

I reckon they might be happy for Seb to explore FA and accept the compo

Not completely convinced that they are the right moves?!

If Ben King requests a trade (big if!) and it’s to StK
You would do anything in your power to get it done

Players and picks!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Me either mate, me either.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I see that f-ckwit Lloyd is trying to convince St.Kilda not to go after Ben King so Essendon have a better chance of picking him up

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 12:25pm I see that f-ckwit Lloyd is trying to convince St.Kilda not to go after Ben King so Essendon have a better chance of picking him up
Yeah saw that. Not even a thin veneer to hide his double dealing treachery.

Worse than the pelican s*** looking after his old side Hawthorn.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 28 Sep 2021 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajantis
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 12:25pm I see that f-ckwit Lloyd is trying to convince St.Kilda not to go after Ben King so Essendon have a better chance of picking him up
Lloyd changes his comments to suit the situation, and thats pressure from Media.
Last year he came out on footy show and said the King Brothers worked so well with each other he was amazed, they just had this ability to know what other is doing up forward.
St.Kilda need to ignore what other clubs and people say, go with what they want, in the past it has cost us.
GET Ben King to St.Kilda !

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 12:30pm
Lloyd changes his comments to suit the situation, and thats pressure from Media.
Last year he came out on footy show and said the King Brothers worked so well with each other he was amazed, they just had this ability to know what other is doing up forward.
St.Kilda need to ignore what other clubs and people say, go with what they want, in the past it has cost us.
GET Ben King to St.Kilda !
He was well suited to the nick name, Harry High Pants.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How will Essendon afford King?!

Merrett, Parish, Stringer, Sheil, Draper, McGrath, Smith

All on good coin?!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 11:29am If he wants to come, you take him. Yes there will be a massive price but we will then have a huge selling point to any potential FA out there. I think they'll use Bing as a swing KPP. He'll start back and only go forward as required.
We will potentially have the best forward line in the comp over the next few years. Any mid, wanting a premiership, would find that attractive.
Both kings can play same forward line
They are mobile can apply pressure and are different
Max moves around and takes contested grabs Ben leads a hell of a lot more
There is room for both
And why couldn’t one of them play relieving ruck?
Solves another issue

older saint
SS Life Member

Could Membrey become a McGovern type player and go back.

IF B King came we would be too tall assuming a resting Marshall in the forward line as well and Membrey did drop back end of qtrs the last 2 years and take marks behind the ball?

Or one becomes a second ruck , but as we have seen with Grundy a lot of money tied up in rucks isnt always a good thing

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

2 kings, sharman, resting ruck, 2 smalls as a forward line would be scary. Membrey to CHB/half back line. Members has shown he's more than capable of doing that job and fixes the need for that defensive kpp

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 1:20pm Could Membrey become a McGovern type player and go back.

IF B King came we would be too tall assuming a resting Marshall in the forward line as well and Membrey did drop back end of qtrs the last 2 years and take marks behind the ball?

Or one becomes a second ruck , but as we have seen with Grundy a lot of money tied up in rucks isnt always a good thing
What is TOO tall

The only reason not to have talls is that they are not much chop below their knees - we know both the Kings are - and that they are agile - not lumbering forwards.

FFS - Max crumbed some fantastic balls this year and played 'small'.

King - King - Membrey (who plays tall) can all crumb and are agile

If we had 6 forwards as tall as Max and Ben who were as agile as them - I would absolutely play all 6

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If Ben King is coming; someone in the top 10 might be leaving. Guys like Wilkie and Membrey both come to mind.
With Marshall, Sharman and a pair of Kings, I wonder what a versatile goal kicking leader like Membrey would be worth.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I sometimes wonder about the folk who run our footy club

If we really want to be contenders the midfield has to be the area that is our focus. I hope we don’t give away too much and stuff up any slim chance we have to top up with quality mids.

We need to match the midfield bulls like, Oliver, Petracca, Wines, Bontempelli, Elliot Yeo, and Jake Stringer or at least develop a lot more depth than we currently possess with guys that can run all day and have the talent to win contested footy

I hope that St Kilda is focussed on developing a midflield that can contend and is capable of top 4 finishes

I hope they’re not just looking for marketing opportunities, although a few extra bucks always helps to run a club

I hope that we strive over the next 2-3 years to build a midfield like Melbourne, The Dogs, and other teams on the rise like Essendon

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

two kings and build a midfield around them. Big men take time, get them in now and then focus all your attention on drafting and trading for quality mids thereafter.

#1 Ryder fan
Ajantis
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 3:40pm two kings and build a midfield around them. Big men take time, get them in now and then focus all your attention on drafting and trading for quality mids thereafter.
Agree 100% !

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coasts list manager is going to be on Trade Radio now, let's see what he says about Bing as the Trade Radio guys are going to ask him.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Listening to Craig Cameron it sounds like Bing is going nowhere this off season and Gold Coast want to try and get Bing, Jack L and Rankine
amongst others re-signed before the start of the 2022 season. Apart from that there was no further discussion on these 3 players

Gold Coast unsure if they'll have a spot available for Dunstan.
They also want to move some of this years picks into the future.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/28/ ... -and-more/
Last edited by Wayne42 on Tue 28 Sep 2021 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
older saint
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 2:03pm
older saint wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 1:20pm Could Membrey become a McGovern type player and go back.

What is TOO tall

The only reason not to have talls is that they are not much chop below their knees - we know both the Kings are - and that they are agile - not lumbering forwards.

FFS - Max crumbed some fantastic balls this year and played 'small'.

King - King - Membrey (who plays tall) can all crumb and are agile

If we had 6 forwards as tall as Max and Ben who were as agile as them - I would absolutely play all 6
Respectfully disagree . Some of the most important players in the modern game are HBF who are smaller and very quick. Salem and Daniel were 2 of the best on ground on Saturday, Whitfield is a gun.
Small quick forwards are needed as they have a very important defensive part of the game . King (s) are exceptional below their knees for their size - but not exceptional for small forwards expected level.
They are both quick - for there size, but neither are likely to run down and harrass like a Pickett, or even Butler does.
King King Marshall and Membrey will be great if it is dry and good ball use ( which we lack) but if the ball hits the deck god help the backmen. Essendon game at Marvel showed how teams can destroy you if there is no forward pressure on the way out.

Saints58
Club Player

GET BEN KING NOW WHAT EVER IT TAKES HELL I WILL EVEN PUT IN MY POCKET MONEY!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 6:50pm GET BEN KING NOW WHAT EVER IT TAKES HELL I WILL EVEN PUT IN MY POCKET MONEY!
Relax dude, our future is not entirely dependent on getting Ben King, the list also has other pressing needs.

st.rod
Club Player

I'd be rapt to get Bing. Over the moon in fact. But wouldn't mind trying to get Touk Miller as plan B. Would be costly but we need to really go hard to move up and contend. I think he's out of contract in 2022 as well. Need to be bold, make him an offer he can't refuse.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

TBH I strongly doubt GCS would even consider releasing him from his contract this year. If he wants to return to Melbourne it will be in the 2022 trade period that's when we will make our move.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 2:05pm If Ben King is coming; someone in the top 10 might be leaving. Guys like Wilkie and Membrey both come to mind.
With Marshall, Sharman and a pair of Kings, I wonder what a versatile goal kicking leader like Membrey would be worth.
Yep this is my thoughts too
GC need a goal kicker with experience
Membrey perfect and if that softens the picks we have to give them great

“Yeah….nah””