Trade Radio

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Radio

In summary, Trout and Bains were hellbent on taking McCartin because "his father was a good cross-country runner" and they didn't want to pay extra for a key forward later on. They convinced Richo, although he didn't like it at first. Finnis was the only one who repeatedly questioned it, and actually had the forethought to mention that the more instant impact player (Petracca) would make us more competitive and attractive to recruit a key forward later. This excerpt has increased my opinion of Finnis, it's good to read that he knew what was going on.

It's very much Trout's fault, no doubt, and Bains didn't help.

Trout:
He used to be an inconsistent set shot but he's worked hard and improved that and it's just going to keep getting better.

Trout:
Engine. So it's not elite, but his father was a good cross-country runner

Richo:
'He's been asked to step it up this year in a much more serious way than ever before, and the best he's been able to do is low 60s in skinfolds. So is that because of his condition? Because if it is, it's going to be very hard for him to cope'

Richo:
We need to trust the experts, but he's pick one. He needs to be elite. We need this guy to be a ripper.

Trout:
"He will be, and that's why we're picking him,"

Finnis:
Is there a sense that he's a tall forward, it's a difficult role to play, so it will take longer for him to develop into the player he can be?

Trout:
Everything's been factored in

Richo:
There's always midfielders. Let's say we can't split them and we go with [Christian] Petracca because his history suggests he might play a bit more and have a bigger impact next year. There's no doubt he might do that... it's reassuring for Trout to say, "No, this guy is the better player, he's the best player in the draft'.

Trout:
If you don't have a quality key forward it won't be 2018 when we're planning to play finals, it will be 2025. You've got to have at least one.

Finnis:
So are you better off drafting players who are going to have more of an impact in the short term? Players who can get us to a point where we have to pay less overs to get people in because we're more competitive? Because you risk losing guys these days. You risk losing them because they might not want to wait around for four or five years like they used to.

Richo:
I don't think we can ignore what happened with Boyd and I agree with Trout. We're not going to win one unless we have one.

Trout:
Paddy's here, and we have the pick, and we're picking him.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Trout sounds about as intelligent as you would expect someone with that name to be.
Totally blinkered approach and basically railroaded the trade. Richo sounds far too easily swayed.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Winmar7
Club Player

Geez, I hope we win a flag soon, so everyone can STFU about this...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 9:46pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 9:39pm A colossal cluster f.uck!!!

Can we sue?
Do you know a good lawyer :wink:
I do. Several in fact. More than several actually. :wink:

As an aside though, you all do know don't you that if we had drafted Petracca, the chances of having an early pick to draft King would have been next to none.

As they say every cloud has a silver lining.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Interesting and totally plausible!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Maybe in this year's draft the club can recruit a player equal to or better than Petracca, and he comes from a good family.

Or, we might overlook the best one available and pick the other one and it will be debated on here 7 years later. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Allison (our latest speculative project) better come good..
almost tired from the incompetence

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 29 Sep 2021 10:59pm Allison (our latest speculative project) better come good..
The interesting part of that is he was recruited as a forward but finished 2021 being played as a back. I'm sure there's a better word than interesting that means WTF.

I'm more than happy to see what happens over pre season but I'd like to know if he was being played as a back because they see a benefit or if they do not see an AFL forward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 29 Sep 2021 10:59pm Allison (our latest speculative project) better come good..
One certainly gets the impression that a project player or risk is just code for:
“We really couldn’t be bothered do the work and are unprepared... geeez just pick someone fast so we don’t look dumb right now”

I know we had success with Gwilt and Fisher who kind of came out of nowhere, but that was 15 years ago amd we’ve drafted at least 10+ speculative failures since then

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 29 Sep 2021 11:12pm
The interesting part of that is he was recruited as a forward but finished 2021 being played as a back. I'm sure there's a better word than interesting that means WTF.

I'm more than happy to see what happens over pre season but I'd like to know if he was being played as a back because they see a benefit or if they do not see an AFL forward.
Teffers used the word speculative for a reason.

This is how the club presented his bio.

Matthew
ALLISON
KEY FORWARD
195cm
79kg

Latest
St Kilda snapped up the key-position prospect with its first pick in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft. The Calder Cannons product is 195cm, strong overhead and can operate forward of the ball, in defence or on the wing.

The 79kg bit might be a clue as to how he would be developed in a perfect world, without Covid interruptions, massive injury lists and regularly less than 10 AFL listed players playing around him at Sandy. Did you expect him to dominate CHF? He spent a fair bit of time on the wing. Not a good role on TBO.

We saw Marshall as a forward/ruck, then injury forced him into a first ruck position. Patience Grasshopper.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Byrnes
Connolly
Highmore
Sharman

I reckon our speculative picks are going OK of late
Add Max Heath possibly too

Speculative trades in McKernan, Hunter admittedly not so good.

But there is definitely someone spotting off Broadway talent for us pretty well (Wilkie also comes to mind)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 29 Sep 2021 11:46pm Byrnes
Connolly
Highmore
Sharman

I reckon our speculative picks are going OK of late
Add Max Heath possibly too

Speculative trades in McKernan, Hunter admittedly not so good.

But there is definitely someone spotting off Broadway talent for us pretty well (Wilkie also comes to mind)
Going back to 2014, you can add Sinclair, Marshall and Paton. Of course you can write a few off but Hind and Parker are still going too.

McKernan and Hunter were intended to play at Sandy, stay fit and help develop the young blokes you listed above.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What was speculative about Byrnes?!

He was Captain of Sandy, B&F winner, played for Vic Metro

He was a slider

Performed very strongly in the TAC Cup and looked good from game one in the VFL.

Allison
More a pick on what he might become, more so than what he’d achieved.

I watched some of his games this season and it stuck out like dogs balls that he was out of his depth. Last StK listed players that I have watched in the VFL that were so far from standard were Brad Howard, Phillip Raymond and Eljay Connors (who all played VFL reserves)
Can guarantee if that still existed he also would have played there.

Tough on the boy I know, but it’s a brutal business and I reckon he’s got one year to prove his worth (at VFL level) and he might get another contract?!

Hope he does develop, he’s a nice size, moves well and skills are good. He does however need to compete.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bob Murray and Daryl Griffith were both recruited as forwards and ended up playing back.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 11:49am

Bob Murray and Daryl Griffith were both recruited as forwards and ended up playing back.
Yes, there has been a few. I just find it interesting that this has happened in his first year. It may be a development thing, getting him to where the ball is. To learn a craft from a different perspective.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher was a CHF pre draft and in his first VFL games at Casey

Ended up being the best CHB I have seen at StK

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Been listening to some of trade radio

How the hell do they fill in the time talking about nothing for hours on end and just purely speculating?!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bains is a moron. I really don't think he did the club much good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 11:59am Been listening to some of trade radio

How the hell do they fill in the time talking about nothing for hours on end and just purely speculating?!
A bit like a footy forum I guess.

I think they get a kick from trying to make news rather than simply report. Just another opinion based on some truths, some leaks and some misinformation. It is a footy forum.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 12:32pm Bains is a moron. I really don't think he did the club much good.
You get a tick from me. :wink:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 29 Sep 2021 11:16pm
One certainly gets the impression that a project player or risk is just code for:
“We really couldn’t be bothered do the work and are unprepared... geeez just pick someone fast so we don’t look dumb right now”

I know we had success with Gwilt and Fisher who kind of came out of nowhere, but that was 15 years ago amd we’ve drafted at least 10+ speculative failures since then
As has every club you just hear about them from the outside.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Allison had a late growth spurt and he's very skinny. At 195cm he needs to put on at least 10kg to play in anything near a key position. To write him off at this stage is pretty unfair, and some on here need to wait before they decide to pillory the recruiting staff over his selection. Not many tall players jump out the gates and make an immediate impact.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 12:51pm Allison had a late growth spurt and he's very skinny. At 195cm he needs to put on at least 10kg to play in anything near a key position. To write him off at this stage is pretty unfair, and some on here need to wait before they decide to pillory the recruiting staff over his selection. Not many tall players jump out the gates and make an immediate impact.
Something like I have been saying for months now. :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They do generally at VFL level though, show something.

I never expected Allison to even get a game of AFL

What I do expect is that against teams like Aspley and Southport he can get a kick and show something

He was picked as the 26th best 18yo in the country, surely he has the ability to display his talent at the lower level?!

Maybe next year?

Going on this year, he will not be offered a contract past his initial 2 years and at best a rookie contract (ala Clavarino this season)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 1:39pm They do generally at VFL level though, show something.

I never expected Allison to even get a game of AFL

What I do expect is that against teams like Aspley and Southport he can get a kick and show something

He was picked as the 26th best 18yo in the country, surely he has the ability to display his talent at the lower level?!

Maybe next year?

Going on this year, he will not be offered a contract past his initial 2 years and at best a rookie contract (ala Clavarino this season)
Where is the speculation in calling him the 26th best 18 year old. What if they speculated what he might be like at 21?

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/matthew-allison/

Remember, he was a small forward at 16 had a huge growth spurt and started to show some strength in his hands at 17, strengthening his 0tential alongside his natural running ability. Apparently, he is still growing and is putting on weight.
He played 8 games in 2021 averaging 10.4 disposals and 3 marks in a pretty crap Zebras side..