Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Dunstan

The_Dud wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:58am
lewdogs wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:48am
freely wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:34am I'm staggered by the disrespect for Dunstan in this thread. It was Lenny Hayes remember who handed over his jumper to this man. It wasn't an accident. He played his heart out for us season after season and for a long time I thought he'd be our next skipper and certainly felt he was the ONLY player really playing for the jumper (I recall others jumping in and saying 'what about Seb' etc. but it was Dunstan close to tears at a loss, no one else). He was devastated the first time he was dropped to the twos and worked his bum off to try and get back as he has repeatedly the last few seasons to no avail. Obviously I have no idea about his attitude or off-field personality but I've no reason to doubt his own account that he could just never get on the coach's right side. I expect he was opinionated which wouldn't go down well with the king of the kids. What a fault! I hope and expect him to do well at the Dees. And I hope Dees fans value him a bit higher and show him a damned sight more respect than Saints fans on this site.
He was happy to give us a clip on the way out so why shouldn't we?
Was it a 'clip' or was he just being honest? I don't think there was anything said that wasn't already widely known.

Also interesting quote from Melbourne... "We think Luke’s best football is ahead of him and just as importantly, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for our club."

So he's a 'terrific culture fit' at the Premiers but apparently this was the reason Ratts got rid of him... what does that say?
We didn't get rid of him because he's not a cultural fit. We got rid of him because he can't run or kick.

Anyway you're saying it's ok for Luke to be honest, I'm just saying it's ok for fans to be honest too and if that's saying he has some serious limitations then that's ok. He basically called the coach unprofessional on his way out the door.

Look good luck to him but let's not act like our club has done nothing for him. Paid him a handsome sum and gave him the famous number 7 jumper.

derby Street
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:34am I'm staggered by the disrespect for Dunstan in this thread. It was Lenny Hayes remember who handed over his jumper to this man. It wasn't an accident. He played his heart out for us season after season and for a long time I thought he'd be our next skipper and certainly felt he was the ONLY player really playing for the jumper (I recall others jumping in and saying 'what about Seb' etc. but it was Dunstan close to tears at a loss, no one else). He was devastated the first time he was dropped to the twos and worked his bum off to try and get back as he has repeatedly the last few seasons to no avail. Obviously I have no idea about his attitude or off-field personality but I've no reason to doubt his own account that he could just never get on the coach's right side. I expect he was opinionated which wouldn't go down well with the king of the kids. What a fault! I hope and expect him to do well at the Dees. And I hope Dees fans value him a bit higher and show him a damned sight more respect than Saints fans on this site.
Was it a 'clip' or was he just being honest? I don't think there was anything said that wasn't already widely known.

Also interesting quote from Melbourne... "We think Luke’s best football is ahead of him and just as importantly, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for our club."

So he's a 'terrific culture fit' at the Premiers but apparently this was the reason Ratts got rid of him... what does that say?
I find it ironic that the person you hounded and derided relentlessly (RICHO) is the one who has had a major say in the demons recruiting Dunstan. Do you still think Richo makes bad decisions?
A Clip ???? Was Ratten just being honest about Dunstan's flaws, hence letting him go.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He’s definitely had a few digs in the lead up to and after being cut.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But would they have bothered if it wasn't a sort of freebee?

Good luck to him. I remember his debut against Melbourne when we won a scrappy affair and he was BOG. I remember him being nailed for sleeping on a park bench worse for wear, I remember him winning really hard balls and then butchering possession. For every good there seemed an equal bad.

Hopefully a good result for all concerned. Goodwin can have infinite patience now. Ratts' ran out.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

BOG on debut?

He was good on debut… but BOG?!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He had 21 possessions

Brownlow
3-C.Jones 39 possessions
2-N.Reiwoldt 23 possessions 3 goals
1-N.Jones 38 possessions

I don’t think he was BOG

It was a good debut

saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:41pm So it's not a straight swap for Christian Petracca?
8-) :wink:

damienc
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 9:28am

We didn't get rid of him because he's not a cultural fit. We got rid of him because he can't run or kick.

Anyway you're saying it's ok for Luke to be honest, I'm just saying it's ok for fans to be honest too and if that's saying he has some serious limitations then that's ok. He basically called the coach unprofessional on his way out the door.

Look good luck to him but let's not act like our club has done nothing for him. Paid him a handsome sum and gave him the famous number 7 jumper.
True.

damienc
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 9:07pm Can we assume the general manager of AFL football performance at Melbourne FC rates Dunstan more highly than Ratten.
Sure but that doesn't make them right in that assessment.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 11:13am
perfectionist wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:41pm So it's not a straight swap for Christian Petracca?
8-) :wink:
The man is on fire.

damienc
Club Player

Legend.

damienc
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 12:57pm So is this a case of ex-coach (Richo) picks up one of his old troops?

It happens sometimes, but how often does it succeed?

Of course it is case by case.

With 11 Brownlow votes, even a whiff of success at Melbourne will be more ammo for the media mortars aimed at Moorabbin. Lol

Count on Luke being picked for Melbourne when they play us…and a pic on the back of the Sun of Richo and Luke smiling.
Good luck to him and them if he does.

Not the right fit for us. Good at getting the footy terrible at disposing of it. And didn't listen.

takeaway
Club Player

I think, as Melbourne have stated, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for their club. After all, their top midfielders have developed a culture over the last couple of years of averaging at least one brownlow vote per game, and Luke fits right in with that culture.

Has been poorly managed by Ratts & co. I can understand they feel he will not fit into their future plans, but it seemed to be very public right from the start of the year, and later on it was reported he would not be offered a new contract. Why was that publicised ? All it does is diminish his trade/compensation value. Should have been selected when he deserved it, when others in the team should have been given a rest. I hope Bytel comes good, because at the moment he is a fair way behind Dunstan.

Anyway, Luke showed them in the second half of the season, and has now been picked up by the top team in the comp, no less. Will still be on the fringe, but hopefully will be given a fair go.

Good luck Luke, you have been a good, hard working Saint.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Remember Round One 2020.

We threw away a commanding lead against North Melbourne and were pipped at the post.

Luke played.

And well, I believe.

Carlisle? Battle? not picked?

Then the big COVID break. Never to be seen again.

Something happened there? ...or after as a result?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Obviously he didn’t defend

SaintJohno
Club Player

Didn't he tear a pectoral muscle or something and was out for a while?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha

thats not a good look

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CarlD
Club Player

No compensation pick listed on the AFL site.

happy feet
Club Player

It’s funny that many on this site have criticised Luke’s behaviour whilst departing yet their own running commentary on this is probably worse.

All that needed to be said was thanks for your service Luke and good luck at the Demons.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
diddley
Club Player

CarlD wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:38pm No compensation pick listed on the AFL site.
As in, they have stated that we are not getting one, or they haven’t mentioned anything at all?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am staggered at your disrespect o our coach. :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:23pm haha

thats not a good look
If I knew how to use photoshop I would have edited it to show Richo giving Dunny a warm and firm embrace...I guess we'll have to wait for the GF in 2022 for that pic...(insert smartarse emoji here)...

CarlD
Club Player

diddley wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:56pm
CarlD wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:38pm No compensation pick listed on the AFL site.
As in, they have stated that we are not getting one, or they haven’t mentioned anything at all?
Just no mention of a compensation pick for Luke whereas the others (Hewett, Chol etc) have the details of the compensation picks granted by the AFL to their ex-clubs detailed. The AFL usually moves pretty quickly with the compensation picks so looks like the Saints didn't receive one.

diddley
Club Player

CarlD wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 2:25pm
diddley wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 12:56pm
Just no mention of a compensation pick for Luke whereas the others (Hewett, Chol etc) have the details of the compensation picks granted by the AFL to their ex-clubs detailed. The AFL usually moves pretty quickly with the compensation picks so looks like the Saints didn't receive one.
I would still like them to say “you aren’t getting anything” and just make it official.
Or give us something.
Either way.
(I would always prefer something than nothing of course)