Battle to Brisbane?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle to Brisbane?

I'd keep him just for his name

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 8:24am
skeptic wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 9:31pm
And as a defender… his best spot is CHB but is he big enough?

I feel like Ratten doesn’t have a good sense of what to do with him.
He played some very good games at CHB.
He might only be 192 cm tall, but he has a strong body and can hold his ground - so he can position himself at or near the drop of the ball even against a taller opponent.
That’s my take as well…

Why do you think Ratten doesn’t stick to that?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 8:02am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 08 Oct 2021 10:37pm
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 9:00pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:58pm Anyone remember that game he ran back with the flight of the ball with only eyes for the ball with scant regard for his personal safety and took a chest mark Roo esque?
Nup
Probably because you haven't tried to remember.
Sums his career up...trying to recall that one play he made in 5 yrs on the team..... potential galore...show him the door
Harsh. His best footy is still in front of him. Just needs to find his place. He's a keeper.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Just guessing, skeptic ...
Maybe Ratten wants to create a rebounding and running backline - and he thinks Battle's style will detract from that?

Clark might also be a reason?
With both Clark and Battle in the backline, we'd have 2 slowish players.

Clark playing more as a midfielder, when Paton returns, might help?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 9:53am Just guessing, skeptic ...
Maybe Ratten wants to create a rebounding and running backline - and he thinks Battle's style will detract from that?

Clark might also be a reason?
With both Clark and Battle in the backline, we'd have 2 slowish players.

Clark playing more as a midfielder, when Paton returns, might help?
I'm bullish that Hunter Clark can transition to being a starting mid.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I always thought his best spot would be as a hit up forward - like T.Lynch from Adelaide

Problem is we have Membrey who already plays that role and is better and now we have Sharman also.
Plus Battle hasn’t really impacted at all playing forward of the ball. I think he might be slow and can’t get separation

On the wing he has the endurance, but his speed is not great and he lacks ground level skills.

So I reckon CHB if we don’t get a KPF

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 1:50pm I always thought his best spot would be as a hit up forward - like T.Lynch from Adelaide

Problem is we have Membrey who already plays that role and is better and now we have Sharman also.
Plus Battle hasn’t really impacted at all playing forward of the ball. I think he might be slow and can’t get separation

On the wing he has the endurance, but his speed is not great and he lacks ground level skills.

So I reckon CHB if we don’t get a KPF
Totally agree, but even at CHB he could work on his speed over his first 10-15 metres.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 9:44am
Vortex wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:58pm Anyone remember that game he ran back with the flight of the ball with only eyes for the ball with scant regard for his personal safety and took a chest mark Roo esque?
Nup
Sums his career up...trying to recall that one play he made in 5 yrs on the team..... potential galore...show him the door
Harsh. His best footy is still in front of him. Just needs to find his place. He's a keeper.
If 5yrs in he's still waiting to show his best it's not a great sign. We've had loads of almost great players that for many reasons don't make it. Battle has potential but he's barely making an impact.

IF he played 2 seasons every game same position we might see a great player emerge, but that's not likely to happen for him.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 7:47pm
Nup
I choose to disagree.
I don't think he's terrible, I think he has potential but he won't get a spot in the 22 every week. I don't know why but without the same position, every week all season he won't develop and it's a waste

So trade him whilst he has value.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

At some point we have to ask, is it what we see OR what we want to see when it comes to our players?

We seem to hope he's Jeremy McGovern or Jack Gunston or some hybrid winger that works equally defensively or offensively.

5 years in at 190+cm, not only unable to cement a spot but unable to demand or dictate which end he should play does not bode well. I believe he's too short for a KB position & too one paced / one tracked for anywhere else.

Cannot doubt his courage or aggression but we need him demanding a position, not a "What if he..." or "Maybe if he..." A big pre season required because 2022 is make or break in terms of his AFL career.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

We have no confidence in our ability to develop players. Unfortunately, with good reason.

derby Street
Club Player

Be very surprised if anything happens - there has hardly been a barrage of noise / comment about this potential trade. I always had high hopes for Battle but was nearly always left disappointed / wanting more.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

What was Jack Newnes lacking? I mean, it looks like they might be similar players, except Jack N got picked and loathed for it, and Josh Battle gets dropped and loved for it.

Seriously, if I may for moment, what did Jack Newnes lack? Fair dinkum...was it 'grunt', 'ferocity', was it 'spirit'? Or was it something more tangible like 'defensive pressure', being 'out of position'? Or technical? 'Disposal'

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Looks like they’ve committed to playing Battle at CHB

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 12:19am What was Jack Newnes lacking? I mean, it looks like they might be similar players, except Jack N got picked and loathed for it, and Josh Battle gets dropped and loved for it.

Seriously, if I may for moment, what did Jack Newnes lack? Fair dinkum...was it 'grunt', 'ferocity', was it 'spirit'? Or was it something more tangible like 'defensive pressure', being 'out of position'? Or technical? 'Disposal'
He got hurt and lost his nerve. When he had that hard edge he was much better.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Newnes was moved from HB/Wing to HF which is a far harder position to have consistent impact

That’s all

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 1:38pm Newnes was moved from HB/Wing to HF which is a far harder position to have consistent impact

That’s all
I think Shane was referring to his time at St.Kilda. Where did he play then. He was a different player after he got crunched one time, I can't remember the exact circumstances and he wasn't injured or concussed but he stopped going in as hard.
Attack on the ball has little to do with where you play. Just attack the ball.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 12:35am Looks like they’ve committed to playing Battle at CHB
They've committed to his summer focussing on that. Not sure he is a shoe-in though.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 2:01pm
B.M wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 1:38pm Newnes was moved from HB/Wing to HF which is a far harder position to have consistent impact

That’s all
I think Shane was referring to his time at St.Kilda. Where did he play then. He was a different player after he got crunched one time, I can't remember the exact circumstances and he wasn't injured or concussed but he stopped going in as hard.
I think it was again North Melbourne and Majak Daw was the guy. Was at the game as was incensed by it cause it was a cheap shot and looked super dangerous.

Later that game Newnes ran towards an open ball, it was three on one Saints/Roos, he was clearly going to get there first and just needed to pick up the ball and pass it whilst wearing the tackle.
Instead he wildly threw his boot at the ball whilst it was bouncing erratically, completely fresh aired it and feel to the ground whilst that one Roo picked it up, ran straight through the middle, squared up a pass and killed the game for us.

Found Newnes very hard to bear after that... developed a real trait of trying to be cute and avoid some tough stuff when it was his turn. Not always by any means but he really started going for the low % plays that he did not have the skills for

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 2:59pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 2:01pm

That’s all
I think it was again North Melbourne and Majak Daw was the guy. Was at the game as was incensed by it cause it was a cheap shot and looked super dangerous.

Later that game Newnes ran towards an open ball, it was three on one Saints/Roos, he was clearly going to get there first and just needed to pick up the ball and pass it whilst wearing the tackle.
Instead he wildly threw his boot at the ball whilst it was bouncing erratically, completely fresh aired it and feel to the ground whilst that one Roo picked it up, ran straight through the middle, squared up a pass and killed the game for us.

Found Newnes very hard to bear after that... developed a real trait of trying to be cute and avoid some tough stuff when it was his turn. Not always by any means but he really started going for the low % plays that he did not have the skills for
Ouch!

This is a concern. We've referred to several players who were crunched and didn't return to their best - or at least for some time. Cricketers who get knocked too.

Jack Sinclair too. Now let's hope Hunter Clark is immune.
Obviously Battle was much more stocky than Newnes back in 2018. Battle looks like a liumber jack compared. But I think Newnes has beefed up since.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!