Talia

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Talia

st.byron wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 8:39am
maverick wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 7:16am I am fascinated
Are there people on here that don’t think we should recruit talia?
He would be a no brainer

If he doesn’t want to leave Adelaide (find that extremely hard to believe give his comments when first delisted) or has failed a medical then fine

Otherwise ask yourselves this, if Howard goes down who plays full back?

It’s not Wilkie highmore or Webster
We have a huge hole there
Apart from whether or not he actually wants to move from Adelaide, it depends on his medical status, which it seems is at best speculative. I have no idea what his physical condition is, but if he's not going to be reliably fit, then I don't want him. I don't want to see another player recruited, in the last quarter of his career, taking a spot on the list and sitting on the sidelines because his mind is willing but his body isn't. If a player is going to be recruited to fill a specific role we need to be sure he can do it. Speculative bets on older players with significant injuries I have had enough of.
All very well and good but who replaces Howard if he is injured?

derby Street
Club Player

maverick wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 10:27am
He would be a no brainer

If he doesn’t want to leave Adelaide (find that extremely hard to believe give his comments when first delisted) or has failed a medical then fine

Apart from whether or not he actually wants to move from Adelaide, it depends on his medical status, which it seems is at best speculative. I have no idea what his physical condition is, but if he's not going to be reliably fit, then I don't want him. I don't want to see another player recruited, in the last quarter of his career, taking a spot on the list and sitting on the sidelines because his mind is willing but his body isn't. If a player is going to be recruited to fill a specific role we need to be sure he can do it. Speculative bets on older players with significant injuries I have had enough of.
It seems to me that there would be every chance that if Howard is injured that Talia would likely to be injured at the same time.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 10:27am
He would be a no brainer

Not Talia if he can't run. Best to look for younger players with more long term upside potential. Isn't there a guy running around in the S.A state league who plays CHB that's been mentioned as a possible option for us? I'm sure that Gallagher et al are well aware of our need in that area and have a plan. I just hope it goes beyond an injured 30 year old who hasn't played for more than a year who has been de-listed by the team that finished 15th.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Howard goes down we are farked!!!

Wilkie and Joyce would get monstered!!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 11:16am If Howard goes down we are farked!!!

Now we've seen we had no one in mind during the trade period, the delisting of Clav is even more baffling.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 3:39pm

Now we've seen we had no one in mind during the trade period, the delisting of Clav is even more baffling.
I thought he was finally getting the hang of senior footy, did some nice things in the games he got and looked like one of those slower developing players that come good eventually. A bit baffled that he was let go.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 3:51pm

I thought he was finally getting the hang of senior footy, did some nice things in the games he got and looked like one of those slower developing players that come good eventually. A bit baffled that he was let go.
Yes, a lot of effort, time, resources and patience was put into Clav. Given the opportunity, he did his job, did not look out of place. The only thing missing was more AFL games. Another season, especially after Carlisle & Frawley were shown the door, seemed a no brainer.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

They must have someone in mind through the draft or rookie draft. Surely. It's a pretty clear deficiency in our list.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Is it possible that they'll rookie Clavarino, he hasn't appeared to attract any interest by other clubs.

Maybe they regard Darragh Joyce as sufficient cover if Howard or Wilkie goes down.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 5:00pm Is it possible that they'll rookie Clavarino, he hasn't appeared to attract any interest by other clubs.

Maybe they regard Darragh Joyce as sufficient cover if Howard or Wilkie goes down.
Maybe they delisted Clav - possible other replacement in mind - then if that doesn't pan out - re-select him

The point we must all remember is that in most cases we don't even truly know what is on our SO's mind - let alone a Football Club's

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Also re Talia - our connections into South Australia and ability to pick up players out of there are really solid. I'm sure that well before this thread existed there were discussions, intel and decisions about the availability and suitability of Talia.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

An 18yo draftee will not impact as a key defender for 3 to four years

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the club has been burnt often enough lately by older, injury prone players to leave Talia in South Australia and they find someone else to play
as a Key Defender.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lucky Hawthorn didn’t jump at shadows when recruiting a 29yo mid from Port with knee injury issues.

He went on the play a further 200 games and play in 3 flags and retire as an all time great!

Now I’m not saying Talia will be a Shaun Burgoyne

Point I’m making is every case is different.

You don’t say no to trading, because of what happened with another trade (D Hannebery)

Every draftee, every trade and even rookies present a risk… footy is a brutal game.

We took a massive risk on Michael Gardner. Paid off.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 10:03pm Lucky Hawthorn didn’t jump at shadows when recruiting a 29yo mid from Port with knee injury issues.

He went on the play a further 200 games and play in 3 flags and retire as an all time great!

You don’t say no to trading, because of what happened with another trade (D Hannebery)

Every draftee, every trade and even rookies present a risk… footy is a brutal game.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Gardy, but he was a massive out for us in that GF.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 8:53pm Hopefully the club has been burnt often enough lately by older, injury prone players to leave Talia in South Australia and they find someone else to play
as a Key Defender.
So who then?
I don’t see anyone?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 10:03pm Lucky Hawthorn didn’t jump at shadows when recruiting a 29yo mid from Port with knee injury issues.

Yep agree 100%
We have 4 older players coming off this year
Roberton Frawley McKernan Carlisle

Adding one back in with the pedigree of talia is no big deal
Plenty of picks available for young talent

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021 10:11am
Wayne42 wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021 8:53pm Hopefully the club has been burnt often enough lately by older, injury prone players to leave Talia in South Australia and they find someone else to play
as a Key Defender.
So who then?
I don’t see anyone?
We don't know who the club has in mind, they won't want to telegraph it through the media as it will tip off another club that needs a Key Defender.

After the trade period they'll have the Delisted Free Agent window, the Drafts and the SSP window to find someone.

I wonder why Richmond decided against Talia and opted for Tarrant. Richmond was the club discussed in the media as having spoken to Talia.
Maybe the he wants to stay in Adelaide story has merit, we'll definitely know when final list lodgements are in.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Talia is virtually in an identical situation to Nathan Brown, who was finished at Collingwood after an injury-riddled career.

We picked him up for nothing, on a low contract and he churned out 53 extremely serviceable games whilst we muddled around with Clavarino, Goddard, Delaney and a hot-cold Carlisle.

The idea was that Brown would bridge the gap. And he did so - extremely well - but neither Clavarino or Goddard were up to the task. Joyce is a long way back. None of that is Brown's fault.

Talia buys us the time to either shop around for a long-term option in coming trade weeks or develop one through the draft. Don't get me wrong, I'm chips in recruiting both Schenslog and Skinner in the draft, but Talia should be signed as quickly as possible and could easily get through three quality seasons at a low price.

It's a no brainer. The bigger issue is our inability to develop KPP defenders and/or procure them at trade week. In lieu of that, it's Talia for me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Freebird
Club Player

Many detractors here criticizing the club for not trying to entice Talia to St Kilda. Does anyone know if they have or if there are circumstantial reasons why not? maybe his wife is a rocket scientist and won't move or Talia has his own successful business and not worth anything to him to move?????????????

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has stated he wants to continue his AFL career

Not happy about being delisted

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Who else then?
Sam Reid
Jarred Brander
Levi casbolt
All potentially big enough??

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Still got a problem with his foot

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Plan B

Josh Battle to CHB IMO

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021 7:00pm Plan B

Josh Battle to CHB IMO
I think unless we find that extra tall forward then I'd say CHF.

One of our greatest weaknesses next to midfield depth is the forward line.

Battle plays the forward half of the ground beautifully and has an accurate set shot.

That is part one of my thinking, the other part is why can't he just remain a utility player. I've read the comments in this thread about Ratts not knowing where to play Battle but I'm not so sure about that because Ratts is on the record as saying he likes Josh as a utility player. So-much-so there was even very positive media coming out of the club earlier this season to that effect.

Why can't a player just be a utility/swingman type, is it really that hard to accept? Many a team has has had this type before and to great effect. Doesn't it give the coach great flexibility?
Last edited by Vortex on Thu 14 Oct 2021 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.