Charlie Constable delisted by Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Constable delisted by Geelong

Constable delisted by Geelong.
Wouldn't be surprised if we pick him up.
Made a great start to his career at Geelong, before getting a bit of the second year blues at senior level.
You could argue his opportunities were limited by Geelong's already well stocked midfield and he didn't really get much of a chance to establish himself.
Had an excellent year at VFL level. Solid lad, 193cm, excellent hands.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Charlie Constable delisted by Geelong

He was hot property 2 years ago but the consensus has been (when this has been brought up)… his disposal is really poor and questions have been raised about his speed which I always thought was supposed to be something of a strength.

Worth a rookie spot at best probably

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Being a highly-rated draft pick is a tough gig, I am sure Jack Billings would agree.

It is not dissimilar to the yearling sales and the expectations placed on the high priced purchases. Some values are inflated by the expectations of their pedigree, many by the hype. A minority live up to the expectations early and get a big tick, some are just considered not good enough. Of the latter group it is not always the fault of the individuals but those who selected them failing to be objective.

A relative of mine has proven to be the best in the business when it comes to buying yearlings, as 40 group one wins over the past decade would attest. Amazingly the strike rate with high priced purchases is way ahead of everybody else. The secret to the success is simple. Exercise patience.

Don't be afraid to geld well bred colts young and give them long spells to grow into their bodies. The best of the current racing stock didn't make his debut until mid May of his 3 year-old season. In the next ten weeks he won all of his six races including a Derby and two other group races.

Sure it costs a lot of money to be patient like that, but the cost is a lot less than delisting them only to see opponents benefit. I liken Charlie Constable to the latter group. Plenty hyped him up before he was drafted and when he was "broken in". He hasn't shown a lot on the track as yet but has had a long spell in the the paddock and sacked before being given another try.

I would not give any hesitation to throwing one of our draft selections in th sixties on the table for him. On a personal level, we are dealing with a high priced purchase from this season's NZ sales that has caused many headaches. Does all the basics very well, a great looker with a good temperament. Trouble is his concentration is so bad he switches off completely and falls to pieces.

Nuts cut out and off to the paddock. First week back, same problem. A change of environment with an experienced bush horseman riding along tracks and through rivers in the lower reaches of Mt Hutt. A short spell, he is a changed horse and hope still exists.

I reckon Charlie Constable would benefit from a change of scenery where he might get some individual attention, not be treated like he is in a racing stable. Moorabbin would suit him.

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Slow
Replacement for Dunstan about it but some would argue Crouch does that job
If he was cheap and as back up yes
Better bet than Naish

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

A bit left field here… but with the proliferation of mental health drugs lately, under the auspices of mental health, isn’t a person with poor concentration potentially likely to be able to avail themselves of an ADHD medication?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
George27
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 2:51pm Being a highly-rated draft pick is a tough gig, I am sure Jack Billings would agree.

It is not dissimilar to the yearling sales and the expectations placed on the high priced purchases. Some values are inflated by the expectations of their pedigree, many by the hype. A minority live up to the expectations early and get a big tick, some are just considered not good enough. Of the latter group it is not always the fault of the individuals but those who selected them failing to be objective.

A relative of mine has proven to be the best in the business when it comes to buying yearlings, as 40 group one wins over the past decade would attest. Amazingly the strike rate with high priced purchases is way ahead of everybody else. The secret to the success is simple. Exercise patience.

Don't be afraid to geld well bred colts young and give them long spells to grow into their bodies. The best of the current racing stock didn't make his debut until mid May of his 3 year-old season. In the next ten weeks he won all of his six races including a Derby and two other group races.

Sure it costs a lot of money to be patient like that, but the cost is a lot less than delisting them only to see opponents benefit. I liken Charlie Constable to the latter group. Plenty hyped him up before he was drafted and when he was "broken in". He hasn't shown a lot on the track as yet but has had a long spell in the the paddock and sacked before being given another try.

I would not give any hesitation to throwing one of our draft selections in th sixties on the table for him. On a personal level, we are dealing with a high priced purchase from this season's NZ sales that has caused many headaches. Does all the basics very well, a great looker with a good temperament. Trouble is his concentration is so bad he switches off completely and falls to pieces.

Nuts cut out and off to the paddock. First week back, same problem. A change of environment with an experienced bush horseman riding along tracks and through rivers in the lower reaches of Mt Hutt. A short spell, he is a changed horse and hope still exists.

I reckon Charlie Constable would benefit from a change of scenery where he might get some individual attention, not be treated like he is in a racing stable. Moorabbin would suit him.
So Trev- does your relative recommend that we draft Charlie and geld him ?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Sandy always needs good VFL players, Charlie might go all right at TBBO.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Was a second round draft pick (36), so expectations were not that high.

I thought he looked good in a couple of games I watched Geelong play. He has a connection to the club through Old Haileybury and Stewie Loewe - Stewie is now assistant coach of Old Haileybury and Constable captained their U19 Premiership team the year he was drafted. He has family in Melbourne not far from Moorabbin. Worth a punt as a DFA I reckon.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

George27 wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 3:38pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 2:51pm Being a highly-rated draft pick is a tough gig, I am sure Jack Billings would agree.

A bit extreme at this stage. I just hope that, with Victoria no longer an Australian state but a gulag, his end of season footy trip involves a little bit of solitude beside a quiet stream with a fishing rod in hand. No overseas piss ups with team mates. Time for him to reflect on a blown opportunity and what he would do differently should he be handed a lifeline. You geld colts to make honest performers out of them. You recruit delisted, highly ranked draft picks with the hope of turning them into honest performers. Fortunately for Charlie it is only his ego that is badly bruised!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Charlie might go out for dinner with GT, just to get some career advice.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
minneapolis
Club Player

George27 wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 3:38pm

That and have The G Train ride him up and down Brighton beach every morning for 2 hours.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 10:39pm
I just hope that, with Victoria no longer an Australian state but a gulag, his end of season footy trip involves a little bit of solitude beside a quiet stream with a fishing rod in hand....

Really??

Restrictions ease November 1

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w ... -c-4304464

I'm pretty sure there are AFL players already on holidays all round Australia and also going overseas and the general public can travel too

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/ ... ica!812026

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-08/ ... /100520008

With 20,000 active Covid cases in Melbourne right now ( thanks to the Liberal party in NSW waiting 5-6 weeks before they actually started a real lockdown) don't you think it's wise to restrict travel to regional areas?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 8:26pm Was a second round draft pick (36), so expectations were not that high.

I thought he looked good in a couple of games I watched Geelong play. He has a connection to the club through Old Haileybury and Stewie Loewe - Stewie is now assistant coach of Old Haileybury and Constable captained their U19 Premiership team the year he was drafted. He has family in Melbourne not far from Moorabbin. Worth a punt as a DFA I reckon.
The proverbial slider. Was touted to go higher. Appears he slid for a reason which may have been on the money. Whether a change of club changes that perception, who knows???

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 9:19am
st.byron wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 8:26pm Was a second round draft pick (36), so expectations were not that high.

The proverbial slider. Was touted to go higher. Appears he slid for a reason which may have been on the money. Whether a change of club changes that perception, who knows???
Yep I don't know why they let him go. I thought he looked good. Would rather give a go to a player like him than keep Kent on the list for example. Not aggressive enough with cutting out list cloggers.

saint6709
Club Player

You might have a point re kent - there have been a few times I have said that I never want to see him in Saints colours again and his last game doesn't erase those thoughts entirely.

But for mature age picks I think we need a ruck and a key position back - do we have room for drafting kids and Constable ? maybe if we took 3 mature guys ( ruck , KPD & 1) it would be between Constable and a few others eg like Naish

Sanctorum
Club Player

If the club didn't rate Luke Dunstan I doubt that they'll consider offering a contract to Charlie Constable, simple as that....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 10:48am If the club didn't rate Luke Dunstan I doubt that they'll consider offering a contract to Charlie Constable, simple as that....
I think anyone who can win the footy in contests like Dunstan has value. But not at the expense of dodgy disposal and not following team rules (according to T74). If Constable can win the footy, has sound disposal and is a team player then I reckon a better bet than the likes of Kent.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I’d pass at present as he seems like a list clogger. Let’s reassess after the draft who is available to offer one year contracts to.

ace
Saintsational Legend

So you reckon if Constable were to be turned into a eunuch he might make a good player but would that be in the AFL or AFLW.
Last edited by ace on Tue 26 Oct 2021 2:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
happy feet
Club Player

Thanks Trev, any punting tips gratefully appreciated!

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

happy feet wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 9:33pm

Too late, the star of the team won in NZ yesterday.

happy feet
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 26 Oct 2021 8:18am
happy feet wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 9:33pm

Too late, the star of the team won in NZ yesterday.
Bugger. Next time Trev, tips gratefully acknowledged.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy to give Constable a spot on the list. At worst he's a capable backup inside ball pig in case of injury to Steele or Crouch. At best he builds his tank and ends up becoming a more rounded player who can average 30 disposals a game. At his age and with his frame he still has a lot of upside.

He had incredibly low TOG at Geelong in his few opportunities - this was likely due to a combination of not having the running capacity required to play as a full time mid and the fact that he was fighting for a spot behind Dangerfield, Guthrie, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Parfitt, Smith, Higgins, Kelly and Steven.

Constable averaged more disposals in his first season than Josh Kennedy did in his third. There's something there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

From reports Geelong have released Charlie C so he can explore opportunities with teams that will give him more game time.

The Adelaide Crows or the Gold Coast Suns are clubs that could potentially be a very good fit for him.

They have promised to pick him up in one of the drafts if he can’t find a suitable club, hence I doubt that he’s looking to go to another club so he can just be a back up again.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Someone say it: Constable Plods.

Is there anything more unneeded than a slow midfielder. (Well on little narrow Kadinia Pk you might get away with it occasionally).

Fate gave Charlie great hand eye coordination and a good kick, but no speed over the ground, hence not AFL material.

Could not get games even when Geelong had a number of first picks out.

It seems putting a Geelong strip on can't really make you faster, taller, braver or wanted elsewhere. Can of course get you plenty of gratuitous free kicks.