Lessons for St Kilda in Australia's T20 World Cup Victory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Lessons for St Kilda in Australia's T20 World Cup Victory

Peter Lalor, writing in today's Australian, provides an insight into how the Australian T20 team went about developing a winning culture to achieve this unexpected result, I have highlighted some of the points that should be noted by Ratten and the senior players in leadership group:

"Love is in the air.

A plane load of it, along with the Australian men’s first T20 World Cup trophy, are hurtling their way back to Australia and the Ashes. Australia won the T20 World Cup final in the early hours of Monday morning Australian time, beating perennial bridesmaids New Zealand in a final few predicted they would be part of.

They boarded a flight with a swagger that would have been noted by an English team who were favourites in the tournament, and their fellow passengers.
Homeward bound … after the game England had been made to bide their time in the UAE while their underrated Ashes opponents triumphed. The stale-beer smell of someone else’s victory could never have been so odious.

The victory was a redemption song for so many in Aaron Finch’s side, and on the sidelines.

Hero of the match for his brutal 77no from 50 deliveries was the country’s favourite whipping boy Mitch Marsh, the only man in the starting eleven to be dropped during the tournament. He and dad Geoff become the first father-son duo to both claim World Cup trophies, just as Mitch Starc and his wife Alyssa Healy become first husband and wife pairing to claim T20 crowns.

Coach Justin Langer had been under pressure regarding his methods since the Indians beat Australia last summer, but not a word more of that need be whispered ever again and he faces the Ashes having developed a stronger bond with his boys.

Opener David Warner was recently discarded by his IPL franchise and suffered the humiliation of being stripped of its captaincy and left behind in the hotel for one match. He was written off mid-tournament by some, but starred in both the semi and the final and was awarded player of the tournament on Monday morning.

Matthew Wade and Aaron Finch were considered unfashionable. Glenn Maxwell unreliable. Stoinis and Steve Smith unremarkable, and the outfit considered outdated and underwhelming by all the best judges.

When the winning runs were scored, Stoinis ran from the rooms towards Marsh with Adam Zampa in tow. The trio embraced as if thrown together by the Hadron Collider, it was a moment as emphatic as it was heartfelt.

The key is this group of boys – we actually love each other, it is beautiful,” Stoinis said later.

Marsh was not coy on the subject either. “What stands out for me most is just the love in this team,” he said. “I’m playing for my teammates. I’m not going out there to play for my spot, or show people, or prove people wrong.”

Marsh’s performance in the tournament was so compelling some are wondering if his form and confidence can be converted into a Test recall. “I know it’s often spoken about, my journey and the ups and downs. But all those experiences just build resilience,” he said. “That sort of stuff has got me to the point where I was able to go out and perform in a World Cup final – and I leaned on all those experiences.”

Central to the squad’s performance appears to be Langer’s decision to take a back seat, in the process abandoning the coaching methods of a lifetime and allowing this group of senior players to go about it the way they felt was best.

Langer was confronted on the eve of the series and told his methods did not sit well with the team. He called the experience “humbling” and he promised to change, but few believed he would.

“He’s been great,” Finch said after the game. “The vibe around the group has been unbelievable. Just how well everyone is getting along. There’s a lot of time spent in each other’s rooms and the team room and just chilling out – the lunches, the breakfasts. “I think that just adds to the environment. JL has played a part in that as well and that’s great reward for him as well as the players. “It’s had ups and downs along the way, don’t get me wrong. Never smooth sailing. When you’re in bio bubbles it’s always difficult.

Guys got along very well, played golf together, hung out, been able to relax and just enjoy each other’s company. “But when you’re in each other’s company 24-7, of course there’s going to be issues at times, that’s a part of being in a team. But there’s always music playing in the corridors of the hotel, everyone’s doors have always been open – it’s been brilliant.”

Quite obviously being in a "bubble" away from home for the duration of the competition was a major factor in this process, not unlike 2020 when St Kilda players were based in Noosa Heads. Nonetheless, what the players are saying is that the destiny of the team is in their hands, they need to commit 100% to play for their team mates, and develop strong bonds both on and off field to achieve the ultimate success.

One way to do this is to arrange some sort of regular golf competition on their free days with trophies at the end of the season for the best players. Regular team dinners, BBQs etc would be another way to build friendships and get to to know each other better!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lessons for St Kilda in Australia's T20 World Cup Victory

Last two wins were absolutely brilliant. Very enjoyable and so glad I watched all the Aussie matches.

Only downer was the game against the poms.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 16 Nov 2021 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I am a huge fan of cricket and well done us ..... but 20/20 is a Mickey Mouse competition and if weren't for the heroics of a handful of individuals we would have just as likely not even made the Final stages ...... it seems the coin toss also had a huge role to play

As for the unexpected result ...... well last time I checked Australia is a powerhouse cricket nation ..... on paper our team was as strong as any of the others (in all forms of cricket) .... pretty clear that we had been underperforming going into this tournament and many of our players STILL underperformed ...... thankfully though some didn't and stepped up to the plate at the right time ...... along with a bit of luck.

And the breakfasts, lunches, playing golf together, hanging out in each others rooms ..... pretty sure you will find Australian touring teams have been doing this since cricket was invented ..... so not sure they are breaking any new ground

Not having a go ..... just sayin!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Unfortunately for me i only watched the SAF match and it was by far the most boring T20 match I had ever seen.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ratts is already coaching like JL however I'm wondering if that has been an issue, developing a Cuddles first approach and letting the players chosing their own adventure.

I recon you need players with the right maturity to coach that way.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Wade into the middle, Cummins CHB, Zampa goal sneak.

Other lessons (and only for the short form of the game, say one quarter):
Coach doesn't matter; luck can overcome having big heads like Stoinis and Maxwell in the team firing only occasionally. Can have a captain the does not contribute and still win.

Above all win toss and hope opposition chokes.

Also - if Kent is given as many chances as Marsh he will eventually win a game for us.

PS: Double bounce long hops are there to be belted out of the park. If you get a 5 goal lead, crush them, don't straight bat to short cover and take a suicide single.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 16 Nov 2021 7:09pm Wade into the middle, Cummins CHB, Zampa goal sneak.

Coach doesn't matter; luck can overcome having big heads like Stoinis and Maxwell in the team firing only occasionally. Can have a captain the does not contribute and still win.

Also - if Kent is given as many chances as Marsh he will eventually win a game for us.

PS: Double bounce long hops are there to be belted out of the park. If you get a 5 goal lead, crush them, don't straight bat to short cover and take a suicide single.
It was a great win, despite you rubbishing three quarters of the team

Now to smash those f****** poms. :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 16 Nov 2021 7:09pm Wade into the middle, Cummins CHB, Zampa goal sneak.

Perfect summary. Stoinis, Maxwell and Finch were burnt out after a long arduous T20 IPL campaign. The earn squillions in a six week period and it's a bit like playing Adelaide after a showdown match or Eagles after the Derby.

Same with the whole Indian team. Most of them are so hyped up for IPL, I think the timing of the World Cup T20 went against them.

Kudos to Wade, Warner and Marsh for coming good in the finals. I couldn't understand why the Pakistan batting line up didn't take a few more risks when they had plenty of wickets left in the final stages

I think Cummins ability to restrict the Pakistanis in the last 4 overs in the semi was crucial to the Aussies having the confidence to chase down a formidable target and make it to the final

T20 is great entertainment. When I reluctantly went to a couple of matches at the G or Marvel I was hooked.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Nov 2021 9:50pm

Perfect summary. Stoinis, Maxwell and Finch were burnt out after a long arduous T20 IPL campaign. The earn squillions in a six week period and it's a bit like playing Adelaide after a showdown match or Eagles after the Derby.

Same with the whole Indian team. Most of them are so hyped up for IPL, I think the timing of the World Cup T20 went against them.

Kudos to Wade, Warner and Marsh for coming good in the finals. I couldn't understand why the Pakistan batting line up didn't take a few more risks when they had plenty of wickets left in the final stages

I think Cummins ability to restrict the Pakistanis in the last 4 overs in the semi was crucial to the Aussies having the confidence to chase down a formidable target and make it to the final

T20 is great entertainment. When I reluctantly went to a couple of matches at the G or Marvel I was hooked.
Yes, agree with most in both posts.

Did Finch play IPL this season? I thought he got left on the shelf.

I just hope Maxwell has the most memorable year of his life, an excellent IPL, a member of the winning World Cup team and his Saints are inspired to win their 2nd Cup.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You don’t write off champions

Dave Warner was dropped in the IPL and couldn’t buy a run early, and was questioned.

Then IMO was mainly responsible for winning the last 4 games.

Great players rise

Average players get found out

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 10:18am You don’t write off champions

Dave Warner was dropped in the IPL and couldn’t buy a run early, and was questioned.

Then IMO was mainly responsible for winning the last 4 games.

Great players rise

Average players get found out
Stoinis and Maxwell played their part too, despite what their detractors claim

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Nov 2021 5:51pm I reckon Ratts is already coaching like JL however I'm wondering if that has been an issue, developing a Cuddles first approach and letting the players chosing their own adventure.

I recon you need players with the right maturity to coach that way.
Absolutely. The Australian team is a group of extremely battle-hardened pros who've done the business over many, many campaigns. Maybe not in T20 World Cups but, they're successful cricketers in many forms over a long period. It's a bit like David Parkin basically letting Carlton coach themselves in 1995 - you need a group of experienced pros to trust them to do that. Potentially, our team could've coached itself in 09 & 10 such was the quality and leadership in that group. Remember Bolton's 5-0 winning record at the Dawks filling in for Clarko.

Key to the whole thing is the playing leadership and connection piece however. The Aussies have Finch - who might be out of form - but still had his troops playing for him and the group had enough substance to have forged their connection - evidenced by Wade, Stoin & Marsh's 'love' comments. Richmond has had the same thing (adding in their much vaunted 'vulnerability' element too).

I don't have much doubt that our players are pretty tight - we don't seem to have any dickheads - but, the playing leadership side (outside of Steele) isn't much to write home about. We go missing so quickly when the tide turns against us and never really recover. I remember something that Leppitsch said mid year on SEN when talking about us that Richmond thought of us as a 'nice' team. Good players at times but, quiet of voice and pretty tame and not about to cause much trouble to them.

Allan Jeans always said that players make coaches and I think we'd all view Ratten as a 'better' coach with better players under him. I've heard Ratten speak about his time at Carlton and he was honest enough to note that they were a solid, competitive team but without Chris Judd - his 50% winning record wouldn't have been so flattering.

I mean, is Goodwin really that much of a better coach than the 2021 season? I'd say no - but his better players became more mature and selfless and it spread throughout their group.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes Stoin and Maxy played a couple of important innings as did Marsh

Warner played 4 in a row and ended up player of the tournament

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Josh Hazelwood deserves a mention too. Fantastic bowling figures in the finals. He was crucial for his wickets as well as his economy

Player of the tournament probably should have been Adam Zampa. He was consistently good in the qualifiers with one brilliant match and also very good in the finals

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 7:36am Josh Hazelwood deserves a mention too. Fantastic bowling figures in the finals. He was crucial for his wickets as well as his economy

Player of the tournament probably should have been Adam Zampa. He was consistently good in the qualifiers with one brilliant match and also very good in the finals
Can't have that. MUST have a batter as player of the tournament. Bowlers are there as window dressing - no one seems to care less about them. It's all about big 6's and high run rates. I thought Hazlewood should have been player of the match in GF. 3/16 off 4 overs. Basically Williamson going beserk and he still contained him whilst still taking wickets.

I enjoyed the game, but seriously, test match cricket seems to be the only form of the game that values bowlers.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 10:33am
Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 7:36am Josh Hazelwood deserves a mention too. Fantastic bowling figures in the finals. He was crucial for his wickets as well as his economy

Can't have that. MUST have a batter as player of the tournament. Bowlers are there as window dressing - no one seems to care less about them. It's all about big 6's and high run rates. I thought Hazlewood should have been player of the match in GF. 3/16 off 4 overs. Basically Williamson going beserk and he still contained him whilst still taking wickets.

I enjoyed the game, but seriously, test match cricket seems to be the only form of the game that values bowlers.
Yep, can't win Tests without bowlers who can take 20 wickets.

takeaway
Club Player

Test match cricket is the only form of the game full stop. T20 and to a lesser extent one day crackit are light hearted entertainment for the light headed. Unfortunately we need the light headed to fund cricket nowadays. What a sorry state.

Australia's most valuable contributor for the series would have to be a bloke that failed in the finals, didn't make many runs during the tournament, and didn't take any wickets .... Aaron Finch. He DID win 6 out of 7 tosses, including both finals, hence 6 wins. Under the conditions played in over there, amongst the main cricketing nations, winning the toss meant winning the game. Made it a bit of a farce really.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 12:40pm

Test match cricket is the only form of the game full stop. T20 and to a lesser extent one day crackit are light hearted entertainment for the light headed. Unfortunately we need the light headed to fund cricket nowadays. What a sorry state.

Australia's most valuable contributor for the series would have to be a bloke that failed in the finals, didn't make many runs during the tournament, and didn't take any wickets .... Aaron Finch. He DID win 6 out of 7 tosses, including both finals, hence 6 wins. Under the conditions played in over there, amongst the main cricketing nations, winning the toss meant winning the game. Made it a bit of a farce really.
To be fair, winning the toss has a big influence in any form of cricket,

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Is Josh Hazelwood our Cal Wilkie? Is Cummings our Dougal Howard? Is Warner our......Hill or is Smith Hill? Who is Hannebury?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hazelwood dropped a dolly when Williamson was in the 20s .... could have lost us the match

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 3:05pm Hazelwood dropped a dolly when Williamson was in the 20s .... could have lost us the match
You have to rate the bowlers against other bowlers in their own team and against all bowlers in the match

I think Starc could have easily got Williamson out with a few beautiful deliveries…but the batter had luck on his side

Starc eventually finished with 60 off his 4 overs

Mitch Marsh was dropped 3 times so of course luck comes into it

ace
Saintsational Legend

Biggest lesson is you need to WIN.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

When does the cricket season finish, i'm over it already. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Lesson one. Don't send dick pics to a work colleague