ASHES 21/22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: ASHES 21/22

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Dec 2021 11:53am How is it Jhye Richardson plays one test, takes a "5 for" and requires a rest? Yet Harris plays two Tests, fails 4 times and gets guaranteed a 3rd.

All the best to Boland but Richardson & Neser should be rightfully confused & p!ssed with selectors, selection integrity and JL.
Richardson has a leg injury and Boland has impressive figures bowling on the G. Neser is as lucky as Boland if you ask me. Nothing to see here really.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Great ball from Starc but Bairstow was panting like he'd just run a marathon from the ball before. Definitely played a role in the wicket on the next ball.

Shambles of a team. Unfit, uninterested and lacking talent.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sun 26 Dec 2021 4:39pm Great ball from Starc but Bairstow was panting like he'd just run a marathon from the ball before. Definitely played a role in the wicket on the next ball.

Shambles of a team. Unfit, uninterested and lacking talent.
Bairstow's always looked pudgy. Maybe he's one of those guys who puts on weight just looking at food. You know when for some reason you just take a dislike to opposition players - Bairstow's in that category for me. For all their talk about making better decisions they still played some pretty crappy shots getting out. Root too, his out shot was a nothing wave of the bat trying to guide a ball through the cordon.

My theory is that test batsmanship is in terminal decline. The English game has, like the Australian FC summer, been viscerated by T20 and even shorter forms of the game. It's no surprise that batsmen who know how build a disciplined test innings are growing fewer and fewer.

If the Aussies bat well tomorrow, then a very good bet it will be 3-0 and the Ashes sealed this week.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is this the worst Test team the Poms have sent to Australia ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

England not at the ground - back at the Hotel awaiting Covid Testing due to a positive test amongst the family of a/some players.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Player Covid Tests reported as Negative and players on the way to the MCG

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 27 Dec 2021 9:49am Player Covid Tests reported as Negative and players on the way to the MCG
I suspect you wouldn't find a more disappointed group of NEGATIVE tested.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 27 Dec 2021 10:17am
Mr Magic wrote: Mon 27 Dec 2021 9:49am Player Covid Tests reported as Negative and players on the way to the MCG
I suspect you wouldn't find a more disappointed group of NEGATIVE tested.
haha!!

Yep.

They better get infected fast.
force a postponement...
they're only chance to escape another slaughter.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Can we also now put to bed the myth that any team in world cricket is ‘scared’ of Ben Stokes!

He’s an average batter and average bowler, which together makes a handy all-rounder, but nothing anyone is losing any sleep over!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I hope Scott Boland ends with a 5 for (single figures)!

Spot on CQ, his MCG figures are impressive 👏 👍

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 28 Dec 2021 11:34am I hope Scott Boland ends with a 5 for (single figures)!

Did even better, 6 for 7! Will slot into cricket history next to Bob Massie.

Saint supporter since '62
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 28 Dec 2021 11:34am I hope Scott Boland ends with a 5 for (single figures)!

6/7 off 4 overs

saynta
Saintsational Legend

poms are really rooted now and the ashes are ours. outplayed and outclassed.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Congrats to Marc Bolan, sorry Scott Boland…

(Which is abbreviated from “ball-in-hand” in Scottish Gaelic) ..or garlic.

He has seven test wickets at an average of 7.85.

And of England…

What can you say? They lost two series to India in 2021, home and away respectively, and both 1-2.

They weren’t terrible.

Ya know Leach still has a better bowling average than Lyon?
Stokes a better average than Green.
Many of their players are decent.

How much worse is Woakes than Cummins with bat and ball? How much worse is Wood than Hazelwood? How about Anderson? Bowled well.

But we just played to the best of the best…100% .afterburners on. England look like they do not want to play.

They probably all have their families in tow, and focus is switched to making sure they have a nice family experience and memory..regardless of the scores.

I can’t think of a worse side made up of reasonable talent. Maybe Pakistan…when they were ‘on the fiddle’?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No, they weren't terrible . They were f****** horrible. Worst pommie side to tour here in my lifetime and they weren't f****** interested.

Feel sorry for their captain, Joe Rooted. He was the only one warming up day before the test started.

f****** losers. First they lost their empire, now the ashes. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We should thank whoever spilled the beans on Tim Paine - we finished up with a better captain and a better keeper.

Our batting was a bit brittle - fortunately we could always count on about 100 from the last 5. The bowlers were great, especially Nathan Lyon who, despite taking 400 wickets is still underrated. He's our best off spinner ever. Mitchell Starc was back to his best. And the thing about Scott Bolan is that, like James Anderson, he doesn't give away a lot of "4 balls" and is always at the stumps.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

It's just embarrassing now. The Simpsons meme of the kid crying as Homer beats up the Hamburglar comes to mind.

Aside from Root and maybe Anderson not one of their players seems even test ready at this point. I was speaking to an English mate and he thinks the problem is they seem to be hell bent on selecting posh twats at the expense of everyone else.

Who knows. Either way what a shambles of a team and as I said before their body language is abysmal. I know they're losing but show some passion and pride.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Tue 28 Dec 2021 6:02pm It's just embarrassing now. The Simpsons meme of the kid crying as Homer beats up the Hamburglar comes to mind.

Aside from Root and maybe Anderson not one of their players seems even test ready at this point. I was speaking to an English mate and he thinks the problem is they seem to be hell bent on selecting posh twats at the expense of everyone else.

Who knows. Either way what a shambles of a team and as I said before their body language is abysmal. I know they're losing but show some passion and pride.
Root makes much of the Covid circumstances and they did actually beat India in two tests in 2021. But one can run from the appalling decision making, on and off the field..What ha that got to do with Covid?

There were a couple of vulnerable patches for Australia but the rest was just a pummeling.

I will say, that they did try hard for portions. There were a couple of sessions where they toiled away very well with the ball for no reward. But that is just par for test cricket.

Love to see the post-Mortems by their press. Is this the worst etc.,

Some credit must be given to the Aussie fitness crew too. We were ‘on game’.. and who would have thought a giant in the form of Green would emerge as a cherry on top. He looks as good as Watson as a bowler and hopefully he can bat at test level too.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Tue 28 Dec 2021 6:02pm It's just embarrassing now. The Simpsons meme of the kid crying as Homer beats up the Hamburglar comes to mind.

This is why. From the BBC website "

"In 2021, England have struggled in India during the winter, been beaten by New Zealand on home soil and have now endured a chastening Ashes series that has two matches still to run.

Throughout the year, there has been discussion about red-ball cricket in England, and whether the model and times of the year at which it is played helps the Test team.

The County Championship is often played at the start of the season and the end, with the white-ball competitions - The Hundred, T20 Blast and One-Day Cup - played throughout the summer months.

Jonathan Agnew said the scheduling is a "disaster" and the Championship should be moved back to "being the spine of the season rather than being shunted to the extremities".

Jonathan Trott, who scored 3,835 runs in 52 Tests, agreed on BT Sport, saying red-ball cricket is not prioritised in England and it has been "pushed to the side"."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Poms have always been class conscious and that's their greatest failing. Think your mate is right .

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations to Glenn Boland’s (3 games 1985) nephew on a fine performance in the 3rd test.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Will Hazelwood get back in at Boland's expense?
Starc dropped? Impossible to imagine.
Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Llyon
Green
and the wrist spinner they want to try = 7 bowlers!
Gtreen will be dropped?

How can they drop Boland?
Hazelwood may carry the drinks! Gee...

St Plugger
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021 10:26am Jonathan Trott, who scored 3,835 runs in 52 Tests, agreed on BT Sport, saying red-ball cricket is not prioritised in England and it has been "pushed to the side"."
It's just not red ball cricket, it's cricket as a sport in the UK.
Here in Aus [and India], we have cricket as our national game, with the different football codes splitting our support. In the UK, representative soccer [football] is their national sport, with cricket only a minor player by comparison!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021 4:13pm Will Hazelwood get back in at Boland's expense?
Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Llyon
Green
Gtreen will be dropped?

If all fit, Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood will be the 3 seamers for the Sydney Test. At 32, I wouldn’t be surprised if we never see Boland play another Test again, that’s just how it goes.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 30 Dec 2021 1:37am
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021 4:13pm Will Hazelwood get back in at Boland's expense?
Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Llyon
Green
Gtreen will be dropped?

If all fit, Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood will be the 3 seamers for the Sydney Test. At 32, I wouldn’t be surprised if we never see Boland play another Test again, that’s just how it goes.
Then this goes down as the greatest fall from heaven there has ever been. Bob Massie would tip his hat.