Coffield - Suspected ACL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coffield - Suspected ACL

We can now revise our back six predictions.

Does Geary now get a chance?

I think Mr. Webster is happy, although he isn't the potential of Coff by half.

Messrs. Paton, Geary and McKenzie...and dare I say (dread) Mr Long.

Wilkie, Howard, Sinclair
Hill, Highmore, Clark

Of course marshall or Joyce shoudl be there..but that is my pet project...it is time to be realistic...that is how I see Ratts choosing it

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
evo
Club Player

Two rookie spots open now. Do we raid the safl again ?

minneapolis
Club Player

Terribly sorry for Nick. Such a difficult injury.

However as far as the team goes Paton is such a similar player that he could sleep in Coff's bed and Nick's missus wouldn't notice.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I won't be able to shout Coff-Up at my TV this season.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
longtimesaint
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:10am Terribly sorry for Nick. Such a difficult injury.

However as far as the team goes Paton is such a similar player that he could sleep in Coff's bed and Nick's missus wouldn't notice.
Not really similar as Paton is a lock down small defender or old fashioned back pocket.
Coff is a tallish intercept marking player and provides run off half back,

One year will be our year
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good luck with getting over the injury Nick. Really sad news.

Gee, letting Hind go has been a really poor move with the benefit of hindsight.

So, no Carlisle, Roberton, Frawley, and now Coffield in the 2022 backline. Structurally, this is a huge problem. Long plays down back now for mine. No choice.
Webster gets his opportunity to play a full season in the seniors in 2022.
Geary has been hit by leg injuries over the past 3 years too and really needs to play a mentoring role in the reserves. That is where he serves us best moving forward.

On the back of this, the club as a whole need to radically re-evuate what they are doing in match simulations in my honest opinion. Last year was 2001-esque in it's sh1thousery injury-wise, and the way Covid-19 is hitting the teams hard, we will be even less likely to cover injuries this year than we were in 2021.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Unlucky for Coffield. Excellent opportunity for Mitchito Owens though.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Sat 05 Feb 2022 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 11:24pm We can now revise our back six predictions.

Does Geary now get a chance?

No, Gears now needs to mentor the new recruits at Sandringham. Development down there has been diabolical with lack of matches played. Gears will be our Phil Stevens next year,

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 2:28am Two rookie spots open now. Do we raid the safl again ?
My take would be the club would absorb the injury for the time being as they have Webster & Wilkie who play similiar roles. We also have Matt Allison is in his 2nd year who might get and opportunity at some stage, form allowing. Highmore & Battle can then play the 2nd & 3rd tall key defenders. If we get injuries or Covid issues with our key defender pool we may be stretched?

A player to consider might be James Tsitas Woodville West Torrens SANFL is currently training with GCS. If they dont pick him up he would be a good midfield/wingmen option. He is Jack Hayes team mate and won the Magarey Medal last year. He is on the smaller side 180cm, but his movements are super quick, hard at it and really creative. He averaged 28.6 disposals per game last year. He is a winner played in a premiership last year and 2019 in Geelongs VFL premiership side for which he was captain.

In his draft year there were queries on his kicking, but he has really improved in that aspect of his game. They then likened his game to Sam Mitchell, but for me he is more like Hannebery (without the injuries).

Perhaps for our list balance his type is not a major need, but he is a ripping little player.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Howard, Wilkie, Highmore, Battle, Paton, Webster, Sinclair + some young blokes still leaves us with a lot of options for now.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Devastating

#1 Ryder fan
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Whilst disappointed for Nick & a supporter of him, I don't believe his loss should impact 2022 too greatly. Our backline seems covered for his size, his run and his disposal out of the backline.

I wish him, not a speedy recovery but a full recovery, so 2023 will see us gain an incredible, ready made recruit to take a best 22 position. Regardless of position.

damienc
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 7:26pm Whilst disappointed for Nick & a supporter of him, I don't believe his loss should impact 2022 too greatly. Our backline seems covered for his size, his run and his disposal out of the backline.

I wish him, not a speedy recovery but a full recovery, so 2023 will see us gain an incredible, ready made recruit to take a best 22 position. Regardless of position.
Well said.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 7:26pm Whilst disappointed for Nick & a supporter of him, I don't believe his loss should impact 2022 too greatly. Our backline seems covered for his size, his run and his disposal out of the backline.

+1

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 9:56am
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

😢

From a team perspective, I think Nick’s absence can be covered.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

Was hoping for that slim chance it wasn't an ACL but not to be unfortunately.
We're all disappointed as Nick had it in him to go to the next level this year. He has a lot of upside to his game regardless of what some said about him last year. Physically he was coming along really well over pre-season too.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Defenders

Wilkie, Howard, Webster, Sinclair, Paton, Highmore, Hill, Battle, Geary, Connolly.

Plenty to choose from, in fact hard to choose 7

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Whatever happened to that alternative ACL surgery that has a much shorter recovery time? It seemed to be a big thing a few years ago but haven’t heard much about it recently.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1055874

Scans have confirmed a season-ending ACL injury to young defender Nick Coffield.

The 22-year-old left the training track on Friday after injuring his right knee during match simulation.

“Nick had been doing everything right this pre-season and we were really looking forward to seeing what he could achieve this year,” Chief Operating Officer Simon Lethlean said.

“This is a big blow to Nick, but we know he’ll be doing everything he can to get back out there as soon as possible.

“While this is a significant setback, Nick has the full support of the entire Club as he attacks his rehabilitation.”

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Damn. I was looking forward to him having a breakout season after a dose of second-year blues. It’s just rotten bad luck.

I see glimpses of an elite player there. I’ve likened him to Goddard in that he’s taken a while to come on. Here’s another similarity … a season out for a knee reconstruction.

Wishing him a quick and successful return.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 10:43am Whatever happened to that alternative ACL surgery that has a much shorter recovery time? It seemed to be a big thing a few years ago but haven’t heard much about it recently.
Yeah mate I thought the same. I think it was called Lars surgery or something similar but it must of been a bit of a flop as it seems everyone is opting for conventional surgery these day's.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Nick is 22 and played just 52 games in the 4 years since he was drafted, the big question that his forced absence raises is that someone else (Jack Hayes, Matthew Allison) will take the opportunity in 2022 to cement his spot in defence.

I well remember how Joel Smith fell out of favour with the selectors after he lost 1998 through a knee reconstruction (his absence for the 1997 granny was a massive blow) and was subsequently picked up by Hawthorn where he went on to be a star for the Hawks for ANOTHER NINE seasons!!!

Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself in this case, but with St Kilda you never know......

Nick at his best is a very good player, but I'm confident that the club has the depth to cover his absence.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 12:16pm Nick is 22 and played just 52 games in the 4 years since he was drafted, the big question that his forced absence raises is that someone else (Jack Hayes, Matthew Allison) will take the opportunity in 2022 to cement his spot in defence.

I well remember how Joel Smith fell out of favour with the selectors after he lost 1998 through a knee reconstruction (his absence for the 1997 granny was a massive blow) and was subsequently picked up by Hawthorn where he went on to be a star for the Hawks for ANOTHER NINE seasons!!!

Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself in this case, but with St Kilda you never know......

Nick at his best is a very good player, but I'm confident that the club has the depth to cover his absence.
Joel Smith!
Yes, what happened there?
Watson didn’t like him? He was a star, no?
How did he ‘go out of favour’?
It seems incredible.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!