Jack Lonie to VAFA!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Lonie to VAFA!

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:39pm
lewdogs wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:22pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 9:58pm
B.M wrote: Wed 02 Feb 2022 8:00pm How many have you laid?

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.
Your man is gonna play in the VAFA. Says it all really.
Given he was an opportunist and was never a target in the big league, he might spend a lot of time being closely checked and staging for the odd free kick, and then again, he might just find his niche in the AMATEURS.
The bloke managed 85 games despite serious limitations. His major flaws were that he was very one-sided and couldn't kick it very far, which is a huge disadvantage in modern day AFL football.

Bloke is a gun footballer, don't see why you'd s*** on him, to play 85 AFL games is nothing to sneeze at especially at his size. Gave his all for the club and was much-loved.

He's clearly good enough to play VFL football in fact he destroyed it at that level. He's made the choice to play VAFA which is fine but your suggestion that that is his level is ridiculous and moronic.
So you think he should have been offered a new contract ? No wonder we have only one premiership if you think along those lines :roll:
Where did lewdogs suggest that? Lonie has been signed to play amateurs, no doubt highly remunerated. He's no longer on St Kilda's list, why the need to sh!t can him?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:39pm I find the irony being that it's the Amateurs. Has the VAFA given up pretending they are not the highest paying competition outside of the AFL?
Makes me think….is the VAFA now the new/old VFA?

The VFL has lost so much of its VFA cult-status..

Remember seeing fat Rex Hunt down at the beach oval? 5000 fans, it felt like a colleseum!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:39pm I find the irony being that it's the Amateurs. Has the VAFA given up pretending they are not the highest paying competition outside of the AFL?
Makes me think….is the VAFA now the new/old VFA?

The VFL has lost so much of its VFA cult-status..

Remember seeing fat Rex Hunt down at the beach oval? 5000 fans, it felt like a colleseum!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to inform you

But Lonie actually played 85 games
Had a 7 year AFL career
Got Brownlow Votes
Kicked multiple goal many times

And for a guy who couldn’t lay A tackle
Laid 230 in the big league

In State league he was dominant. Almost every time he played
I’ve seen him play as a rover and get 30 and kick 3

Not bad for a fellow
Who apparently can’t play the game?!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Its not that he can't play the game, no one said that. His game never evolved. He started out with a lot of promise, i was a fan but he stagnated and by the end he began to stink.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:42pm

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.
Given he was an opportunist and was never a target in the big league, he might spend a lot of time being closely checked and staging for the odd free kick, and then again, he might just find his niche in the AMATEURS.
The bloke managed 85 games despite serious limitations. His major flaws were that he was very one-sided and couldn't kick it very far, which is a huge disadvantage in modern day AFL football.

Bloke is a gun footballer, don't see why you'd s*** on him, to play 85 AFL games is nothing to sneeze at especially at his size. Gave his all for the club and was much-loved.

He's clearly good enough to play VFL football in fact he destroyed it at that level. He's made the choice to play VAFA which is fine but your suggestion that that is his level is ridiculous and moronic.
So you think he should have been offered a new contract ? No wonder we have only one premiership if you think along those lines :roll:
Where did lewdogs suggest that? Lonie has been signed to play amateurs, no doubt highly remunerated. He's no longer on St Kilda's list, why the need to sh!t can him?
SG I IMO I wasn't in your word s*** canning him I"m just pointing out that if you accept mediocrity then you have no one else to blame except yourself . IMO Jack was given a decent opportunity to see if he could make it at AFL & no doubt he has ability but he just could not be consistent enough at AFL level. Why do you think another AFL club didn't offer him a life line ? This was not an personal attack on Jack Lonie I have nothing but admiration for what he gave to the St.Kilda Football club but if we kept everyone on the list that showed promise but couldn't deliver what is required to get us to the next level then why are we in this business . IMO only :?

lewdogs
Club Player

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.

Um at no point did I say that. But he served us well and played some decent games for us so I don't see the need to bag him.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 7:54am

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.

Um at no point did I say that. But he served us well and played some decent games for us so I don't see the need to bag him.
IMO I didn't bag him I merely pointed out that his form at AFL level isn't consistent enough to warrant a new contract .

lewdogs
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 11:16am

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.

IMO I didn't bag him I merely pointed out that his form at AFL level isn't consistent enough to warrant a new contract .
My original post wasn't even in response to you, it was responding to CQ SAINT who said he's a flopper and will find his niche in the amateurs.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 12:00pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 11:16am

Fkn armchair expert
This isn't about me BM.

My original post wasn't even in response to you, it was responding to CQ SAINT who said he's a flopper and will find his niche in the amateurs.
He is a flopper. He is thinking of setting up a free kick instead of attacking the ball and creating play. This has never changed. Initially umpires fell for it, towards the end his AFL career opponents expected it and the umpires paid it less and less, leaving him face down with his arms in the air while the ball gets taken away.
Then on quite a few occasions, when he got free kicks, he would take low % shots and at times he just kicked grubbers or failed to even make the distance.
The things he did that kept him in the frame were great but there is a reason why he consistently got dropped and averaged 12 games a year for 7 years having starred in his debut year of 17 games.
Last year he kicked 2 goals. Now it's being implied that he averaged 2.6 tackles and is some sort of defensive forward. Its just pure fantasy.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What a load of sh*t

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 10:05am What a load of sh*t
Beautifully presented argument as usual Mart. You've convinced me.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It wasn’t an argument

It was a comment about the above post

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 10:49am It wasn’t an argument

It was a comment about the above post
So, ok. Im sure you saw him tear it up in the VFL and yes in 2 exceptional and completely isolated games 3 and 4 years ago he polled brownlow votes. He also had 2.9 tackles. These have been your offerings.

In reality, here is what he achieved and yes, its more than I achieved in the AFL but it's not a pretty picture.
It depicts a small forward who has to run away from the 50 to get kicks and feeds off the work of others to score less than a goal a game at less tjan 50% accuracy, while contributing virtually nothing to set up play for the team.
He played too long, but he did contribute some nice memories for some deluded fans. Richo enabled it and then Ratts exposed him and ended it. Harsh but there's no arguing with the facts.

Jack Lonie
Small forward
87 games
AVERAGES
11.92 disposals
07.54 uncontested possessions
04.54 contested possessions
01.91 inside 50's
01.51 frees for
00.51 frees against
00.84 goals
00.93 behinds
00.48 goal assists
00.84 one %'s
00.08 bounces
02.97 marks
00.84 marks inside 50
02.61 tackles
01.83 clangers

What was he good at again?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:33pm From all accounts he was super fit, was a great trainer, a great club man and was popular. Those things are great.
Facts are he played 85 games in our worst run since the 70's/80's. Now he is playing VAFA. Good luck Jack, strange decision but.
Huh?

He’s a hack. Never played more than 13 games a season after his first.

You don’t reward mediocrity.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 06 Feb 2022 8:09pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:33pm From all accounts he was super fit, was a great trainer, a great club man and was popular. Those things are great.
Facts are he played 85 games in our worst run since the 70's/80's. Now he is playing VAFA. Good luck Jack, strange decision but.
Huh?

He’s a hack. Never played more than 13 games a season after his first.

You don’t reward mediocrity.
I'm.assuming you haven't read the whole thread. I think we are in agreement.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never got injured?

Hack… a hack is a term for a s*** local footy player

He played TAC Cup at 174cm
He played Vic Country U18
He won the Vic Country Medal at the U18 carnival
Was an AA U18
He had dominated state league footy
He played 85 AFL games
Polled Brownlow votes as a small forward
Kicked 4 in a game a couple of times and a few threes
Played one of the hardest positions on the ground to be consistent

Name the last genuine small forward to win a B&F?

He was not a star at AFL level, pretty inconsistent really
But pound for pound was courageous AF
Had tricks and did some good work up forward for Stk

And unlike us, he actually wore the Saints guernsey

So a hack?!

I think not!!!

He’ll tear it up in the Ammos